• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

About a the Best Buy Leak

Sir.JelloMan

Smash Rookie
NNID
SirJelloMan
3DS FC
1177-8899-5851
Switch FC
SW-5583-8199-6301
So it was leaked on the Canadian Best Buy website that Scanning an Amiibo of a character that you don't have unlocked yet, you will unlock that character, So right off the bat I could Unlock, Ganondorf, Villager, Bowser, Mewtwo, Roy, Pac-Man, Dr. Mario and Wario. And if I preorder them, Inkling, Ridley and Wolf My Starting Roster will be nice, especially When I make Miis.

This was the overview description of the Wolf Amiibo on the Canadian Best buy website: Access a whole new level of fun and smash the competition with this Super Smash Bros amiibo. A former fighter in Andross' army, the Wolf now leads his own mercenary team, and he's not one you want to cross. Simply tap the amiibo accessory to the NFC touchpoint on your game system to unlock this Space Pirate. https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/amiibo-super-smash-bros-wolf/12917604.aspx?

Wow!

Also I should note, this is the first thread I've ever posted on SmashBoards

Last edited:

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
This will be good for the amiibo metagame, and it is a cool thing. Double plus for people who have a powertag.
Edit: the link OP provided has changed the wording, but Gamexplain put out a video already.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Well, it's ambiguous as to whether or not "unlock" means unlock to be playable, or unlock as a CPU like in Smash 4. Hopefully it means unlock like we would hope it does, especially since it would make sense. But then what of the newcomers who don't have Amiibo announced yet? I don't imagine Nintendo's going to release over a dozen Amiibo on launch...

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Well, it's ambiguous as to whether or not "unlock" means unlock to be playable, or unlock as a CPU like in Smash 4. Hopefully it means unlock like we would hope it does, especially since it would make sense. But then what of the newcomers who don't have Amiibo announced yet? I don't imagine Nintendo's going to release over a dozen Amiibo on launch...
Maybe not a dozen amiibo, but if they're releasing Wolf, Ridley etc on launch then they'll surely have newcomer amiibo ready pretty soon. Four of the newcomers actually already have amiibo out for them, too.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
there is no way it will be unlcoked as a comp and not playable to.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Thats cool.. It would be really cool if a couple of dlc characters were unlocked this way. It would be even cooler if assist trophies with amiibo could be converted to playable characters lol

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
It always seemed to me that some of the smaller DLC should be unlocked when you scan in an amiibo. Obviously you should still have to buy Cloud when you scan in a Cloud amiibo (because some people have the powertags), but why not have a Mii costume for when somebody scans in a Mii fighter?

Smash 4 always bugged me because there was so much potential for DLC and a lot of it never got realized. Now that we know they were probably working on Ultimate for a lot of the time, I'm okay with it now.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I wonder what I'd be losing if I did that, assuming it's true. That's my biggest hangup about it. I kind of don't want to.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I have almost all the Smash amiibo and a few from other series, so provided they mean what they say I could unlock almost everyone from the get-go.

...But where's the fun in that? Unlocking characters is one of my favorite parts of Smash, I'm not gonna half-ass it with amiibos.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
there is no way it will be unlcoked as a comp and not playable to.
There's reason to doubt, because it's not like store listing are always accurate or reliable. Best Buy is still listing Ultimate as just another version of Smash 4, for example:

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I'd be fine with this. I would only use it to unlock Robin from the start, and then I would use him to unlock the rest of the characters the old-fashioned way. But I'd need to get my hands on a Robin amiibo first.

PF9

Smash Lord
I originally stopped my Smash Amiibo collection at 9 because of the exploitation of Figure Player battles to get collectable items and 8 was all I really needed.

I will be getting more in order to get more characters at the get-go.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
There's reason to doubt, because it's not like store listing are always accurate or reliable. Best Buy is still listing Ultimate as just another version of Smash 4, for example:
It'S jUsT a PoRt

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
wow best buy is on the port bandwagon lol

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Since Best Buy is the most reliable brick-and-mortar seller of amiibos, I can guess it's true. Also explains another bug reason why they're re-releasing them en mass or only 13 dollars.

Or someone just lost their job. That could be possible too.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Since Best Buy is the most reliable brick-and-mortar seller of amiibos, I can guess it's true. Also explains another bug reason why they're re-releasing them en mass or only 13 dollars.
RIP Toys 'R' Us

I guess this supports the thought that every single character will have their own amiibo. (Not that anyone really doubted that, but still.) I can't see what large changes they could really make to how amiibo function, though, besides updating the crappy AI in Sm4sh.

Sir.JelloMan

Smash Rookie
NNID
SirJelloMan
3DS FC
1177-8899-5851
Switch FC
SW-5583-8199-6301
Wow, I didn't expect my first Thread to get so much traction! I disagree strongly that Ultimate is a Port, I hate when people call it that. I just hope Waluigi is playable, because if he is, I can unlock him from the start too! And he'd have such an amazing move set. Earlier today I was Playing Mario Party 4 and then I watch a video titled "Evolution of Waluigi's Voice (200-2017)" And I saw some animations and moves that they can use for his moveset and everything, If they don't add him, I will, by modding it.

Last edited:

pap64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pappel64
Switch FC
2966 0225 9209
I saw a video on this earlier and no, I don't buy it. I think Best Buy worded the concept of the amiibo wrong; Sakurai already stated that the amiibos will still function like they did in Smash 4. And unless this Spirits mode is tied to amiibo, I don't see that changing. Plus I've seen some people say that if Nintendo did this then they ruined Ultimate, which is ridiculous. Smash has ALWAYS presented us different ways of unlocking characters. If Ultimate allows you to unlock characters by scanning their amiibo, that's great. If the game allows you to unlock characters naturally, that's wonderful!

I just don't buy that scanning amiibos in Ultimate is how you unlock characters. Sakurai has yet to explain how character unlocking works, only that they have streamlined the conditions in which characters are added to the roster because of the sheer number of them. That could be a new single player mode, beating the classic mode under certain conditions, playing Cruel Battle on a Tuesday night in which the moon is full at exactly 11:11pm while making sure you are wearing the correct color of underwear...it can be anything.

So yeah, not gonna jump into conclusions with this one.

Sir.JelloMan

Smash Rookie
NNID
SirJelloMan
3DS FC
1177-8899-5851
Switch FC
SW-5583-8199-6301
I'm probably too late to say this because people probably already know, but it was confirmed that this was just a miss communication, I'm glad that it doesn't automatically unlock characters, that wouldn't been stupid

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Thats cool.. It would be really cool if a couple of dlc characters were unlocked this way. It would be even cooler if assist trophies with amiibo could be converted to playable characters lol
Which ATs have amiibo? All I can think of is Shovel Knight.

Top Bottom