• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Winner Is You! Pro Wrestling Character Support Thread!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm willing to bet there's some licensing issues involved....
All the wrestlers are pastiches of real ones (except for the Amazon, obviously), yet there's no real problem re-releasing the game itself. As far as key staff is concerned, Masuda left Nintendo for TRY (the future Human Entertainment) decades ago.

In any case, it feels weird to leave out only one NES sports game when the rest are more or less accounted for.

Last edited:

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Look at the beautiful piece of art featuring The Amazon. It’s on a t-shirt of all things
F7FE5173-1B9B-4515-9E62-5DC085AFB08F.png

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
I support Pro Wrestling. Super Smash Bros Ultimate would finally have a clear cut "Retro" newcomer and extends Pro Wrestling content in the Super Smash Bros series beyond getting a passing mention in the Chronicle. Any character from that game is fine by me.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I support Pro Wrestling. Super Smash Bros Ultimate would finally have a clear cut "Retro" newcomer and extends Pro Wrestling content in the Super Smash Bros series beyond getting a passing mention in the Chronicle. Any character from that game is fine by me.
Honestly, I personally would have preferred Fighter Hayabusa and/or Starman serving as the first wrestler character in Smash Bros. Either one of them also would have worked as Smash Ultimate's retro/obscure/WTF rep, really.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I love that Amazon picture. If they do put him in, I wouldn't mind them adding a championship belt to his design though.

Stormy Rain

Smash Rookie
All the wrestlers are pastiches of real ones (except for the Amazon, obviously), yet there's no real problem re-releasing the game itself. As far as key staff is concerned, Masuda left Nintendo for TRY (the future Human Entertainment) decades ago.

In any case, it feels weird to leave out only one NES sports game when the rest are more or less accounted for.
Masato Masuda also passed away.

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
Noticed there were a few supporters I was missing from the OP, so I put em' in.

As for licensing problems, the game IS one of the NES games that come with Switch online, if that means anything. (which I believe that is the game's first rerelease since it first came out?)

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Noticed there were a few supporters I was missing from the OP, so I put em' in.

As for licensing problems, the game IS one of the NES games that come with Switch online, if that means anything. (which I believe that is the game's first rerelease since it first came out?)
Oh, wow! Really? Pro Wrestling got a re-release on the Switch Online Service?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Tinfoil hat time, but I still think Incineroar's moveset was originally intended for Star Man.

Not only did Star Man's Flying Cross Chop make it as Incineroar's up special, but his back-throw and Alolan Whip really resemble some of moves you can pull off in Pro Wrestling. Heck, his down smash even looks like the start of the game's pin animation. My guess is Sakurai built the moveset for Star Man, but gave it to Incineroar as a way to fill that spot he reserved for a Sun/Moon Pokemon at the beginning of the development.

Then again, I could also be totally off, so take this with a grain of salt.

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
Tinfoil hat time, but I still think Incineroar's moveset was originally intended for Star Man.

Not only did Star Man's Flying Cross Chop make it as Incineroar's up special, but his back-throw and Alolan Whip really resemble some of moves you can pull off in Pro Wrestling. Heck, his down smash even looks like the start of the game's pin animation. My guess is Sakurai built the moveset for Star Man, but gave it to Incineroar as a way to fill that spot he reserved for a Sun/Moon Pokemon at the beginning of the development.

Then again, I could also be totally off, so take this with a grain of salt.
It's an interesting idea, but I think it's a stretch. A lot of that's standard wrestling stuff, so it makes sense that Inciniroar would use it as a wrestling character.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
It's an interesting idea, but I think it's a stretch. A lot of that's standard wrestling stuff, so it makes sense that Inciniroar would use it as a wrestling character.
That's fair, there's only so many wrestling moves, so it makes sense two characters built around that theme would have a bit of overlap in moveset.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
What are the odds that a new Pro Wrestling game would happen in this day and age? I imagine not likely, what WWE games and all, but you never know.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
What are the odds that a new Pro Wrestling game would happen in this day and age? I imagine not likely, what WWE games and all, but you never know.
Honestly in this day and age it would most likely come as a spinoff of a different nintendo franchise (super mario wrestlers being the obvious one, but I could see ARMs x Pro Wrestling working) with some Pro wrestling characters selectable.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I could see Nintendo picking it back up again, but not as a straight regualr wrestling game. I can picture it as something way more anime styled and over the top, almost a parody of wrestling games.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I was introduced to Amazon and Pro Wrestling via Abobo’s Big Adventure almost a decade ago.
D6211C2E-746E-4B15-9A3A-A2ED4F3B0A8C.jpeg

0D7C9610-4261-4AB0-99F5-1A4B8D43BDA8.jpeg

EBA6BC4B-762D-4DD7-BD14-52F6661FBC76.jpeg

Since then he’s easily become my favorite out of the whole Pro Wrestling roster. He’s just so unique and badass. Obviously he’s my number 1 choice of all wrestlers.
It’s just a big shame that the Smash Brothers series never had any teensy weensy bit of content from the game. It’s right up there with Gumshoe and Kung Fu when it comes to retro 1st party Nintendo IPs with no representation. Freaking sacrilegious if you ask me.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
A character from Pro Wrestling would be nice, although for a retro sports rep I would probably prefer an “NES Sportsplayer” to represent all of the old sports games Nintendo made

Top Bottom