• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Winner Is You! Pro Wrestling Character Support Thread!

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace

What is Pro Wrestling?

Pro Wrestling is a game released in 1986 for the Nintendo Entertainment System, and is one of the many gems of the era. True to the name, it contains a wide array of colorful fictional wrestlers. It also happens to be the third best wrestling game ever made, as deemed by yours truly.

Why should a character from it get in?

It is a classic from the NES era, Nintendo's high point. We also have no real wrestler character in Smash, meaning it would be a completely unique moveset. Some of the characters are also incredibly iconic.

Who are the options?

Fighter Hayabusa

Seems to be based on many of the Japanese wrestling greats of the era.

I think he's on the Famicom boxart, but don't quote me on that.

Star Man

Based on Mexican Luchadors.

One of the most iconic characters of the game. Second most unique design.

Kin Corn Carne

Based on WWF wrestler Killer Kahn.

Not really one of my favorites, TBH.

The Amazon

The semi-villain of the game.

This is the one you've probably heard of. Forms the de-facto mascot squad with Starman, and sports the most unique design of the game.

Giant Panther

Based on Hulk Hogan.

Being based on arguably the most iconic Wrestler EVER, is a boost. Also one of the better wrestlers in the game.

King Slender

Based on Ric Flair (WOOOOOOOO)

Back Breaker is a decent finisher, and he's based on my all time fave!

Great Puma

The boss of the game, and one of the hardest in Nintendo history. He sports every single finisher in the game.

Are They rele-

RETROS DO NOT NEED TO BE RELEVANT

A SUPPORTER IS YOU:

Oddball (The Amazon)

Freduardo (The Amazon/Starman)

Arcadenik (Any/Starman)

Shinhed-Echi (Fighter Hayabusa/Starman)

Venus of the Desert Bloom (Fighter Hayabusa)

YeppersPeppers (Starman)

GoldenYultisuin (Starman/Fighter Hayabusa)

MAtgSy (?)

smashkirby (Fighter Hayabusa/Starman)

GoodGrief741 (Starman/Fighter Hayabusa)

SSBCandidates (The Amazon/Starman)

RosaPeach (Starman)

Wonks (?)

Hammer B (?)

AirMac1 (Starman/The Amazon/King Slender)

Flyboy (Starman)

Wonde Smash (The Amazon)

your name here

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'm all for Amazon... I'm okay with Starman.

One idea I had for Amazon is giving him two distinct looks. One is having him be the evil looking fish-man in wrestling trunks and boots, the other is that he's obviously a guy wearing a b-movie costume. It could have visible seams or a zipper in the back, maybe it doesn't fit exactly right, something like that.

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
I'm all for Amazon... I'm okay with Starman.

One idea I had for Amazon is giving him two distinct looks. One is having him be the evil looking fish-man in wrestling trunks and boots, the other is that he's obviously a guy wearing a b-movie costume. It could have visible seams or a zipper in the back, maybe it doesn't fit exactly right, something like that.
Love that costume idea, represents the disconnect between wrestling kayfabe and what's actually going on.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ahh... I really wish Pro Wrestling was included in NES Classic Edition or was added to Virtual Console.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You and me both. Nintendo has seriously shortchanged this game despite it being a classic.

Do you support any of the characters for Smash?
I kind of want them all. It would be nice to have a character called "Pro Wrestler" and alternate characters are the other wrestlers. It would be like Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings. I guess Starman could be the default wrestler... I like Starman the best because he aesthetically looks Nintendo-ish the most, followed by the Amazon.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I thought this thread could use a few more pictures.

3-D Star Man

two cool Amazon pictures , a realistic one and a costumed wrestler one

The official art from the instruction book

The art from the NES cover. perhaps this could be the alternate costume for Star Man.

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
I'm all for a Pro Wrestling character. From a visual standpoint, I would prefer Star Man since I think his design is the most eye-catching, but I also like the idea of an all-in-one character like Arcadenik Arcadenik brought up. Either way, SOME sort of wrestling character would be rad, and anyone from Pro Wrestling would be a great unlockable surprise character.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I really wish Nintendo put Pro Wrestling on Virtual Console. Can't believe Virtual Console on the original Wii will end next week and we never got that game.

D

Deleted member

I support Star Man, but would be fine with Fighter Hayabusa if they have to go with the "main" character route.

I really wonder why Pro Wrestling doesn't get much acknowledgement....
But here's hoping they revitalize the game in some way, with other Nintendo wrestlers like Wrestler from Rhythm Heaven or Incineroar.
Maybe even do what they did with Punch-Out, and make like a John Cena's Pro Wrestling. :awesome:

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
I thought this thread could use a few more pictures.

3-D Star Man

two cool Amazon pictures , a realistic one and a costumed wrestler one

The official art from the instruction book

The art from the NES cover. perhaps this could be the alternate costume for Star Man.
Let me add one more: Europeon Boxart Starman

With 2 Starman designs & 7 total wrestlers, that fills all 8 alt slots for a Bowser Jr. like hybrid fighter.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Although I've always been more of a Hayabusa fellow, I'm starting to appreciate Starman as much, due to the whole "based on a real person" deal(breaker). But I like Hayabusa's cartoony look (retro manga) so he's still my fave design.

Now I REALLY like having different wrestlers as different color swaps.
Not only that, but they could incorporate all of the wrestler's signature attacks into a single moveset.
(Although it would look weird for Starman to start chomping his enemy down.. but I guess it could work as a grab+pummel?)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I love Starman, but if it has to be Hayabusa because he’s the main character or whatever I definitely wouldn’t mind, as long as Starman’s a skin. Don’t really like the idea of a catch-all “Pro Wrestler” character because they all have different personalities and styles.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Still support Pro Wrestling getting a character for Smash. Specifically either Fighter Hayabusa or Starman works for me.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Anyone think Nintendo would add a Pro Wrestling character as a guest fighter in the Nintendo version of a WWE game? I see Hayabusa, Starman or the Amazon.

Hammer B

Smash Journeyman
I was checking out the list of best-selling NES games, and it amazed me that Pro Wrestling sold better than the likes of Mario Bros., Kid Icarus, Kirby's Adventure and Ice Climber.

Pro Wrestling - 2,40 Millions
Mario Bros. - 2,28 Millions
Kid Icarus - 1,76 Millions
Kirby's Adventure - 1,75 Millions
Ice Climber - 1,5 Millions

You can count me in the supporter list.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I was checking out the list of best-selling NES games, and it amazed me that Pro Wrestling sold better than the likes of Mario Bros., Kid Icarus, Kirby's Adventure and Ice Climber.

Pro Wrestling - 2,40 Millions
Mario Bros. - 2,28 Millions
Kid Icarus - 1,76 Millions
Kirby's Adventure - 1,75 Millions
Ice Climber - 1,5 Millions

You can count me in the supporter list.
Wow, seriously? I never saw THAT coming...

BTW, guys. No matter what wrestler gets added to Smash, do you all think said wrestler should have Kirby's "Kirbycide" throws from Melee?

Last edited:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Now I remember a character thread being made awhile back about this. I was told that Pro-wrestling is a 3rd party game and that its future games haven't been on a Nintendo system since the NES. Trying to find sources for it.

AirMac1

Smash Journeyman
I support starman, the Amazon, and king slender. (Even though he is actually pretty heavy). I want to see a rko outta nowhere take out bayanetta

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You know, this has been on my mind for a while now... if Incineroar IS added to Smash Ultimate, do you all think Sakurai would deem everyone from Pro Wrestling... redundant? I mean, I really hope not...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
You know, this has been on my mind for a while now... if Incineroar IS added to Smash Ultimate, do you all think Sakurai would deem everyone from Pro Wrestling... redundant? I mean, I really hope not...
I think there’s room for two wrestling/grapple movesets. It’s kind of a fighting game archetype, I’m surprised we haven’t had one yet in Smash (then again, some might say Bowser already is one).

Incineroar would also be much bigger than any Pro Wrestler, and use fire moves as well, so there’s room for a different wrestling moveset.

Of course, this is all assuming Incineroar gets in.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm surprised they don't even have Spirits. I love Incineroar a bunch, but I'd LOVE Starman to come alongside him. Every heel needs a face to stand up to him!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Things look pretty bleak with Wrestler Cat hanging around, but he's pretty awesome in his own right.

Never gonna give up hope on these guys though! A winner will be us! ...Someday
I'm surprised they don't even have Spirits. I love Incineroar a bunch, but I'd LOVE Starman to come alongside him. Every heel needs a face to stand up to him!
Well, it's certainly nice to see that the hope for a character from this game hasn't completely died out! Personally, I'll take either Fighter Hayabusa or Star Man as playable, and the Amazon as an AT.

WonderSmash

Smash Apprentice
I'm in 100% for the Amazon

There's never been a game where only the villain gets into Smash, that'd be pretty cool

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
I nearly forgot about this game. I would play as a piranha man. And I’d stomp that piranha plant

D

Deleted member

I'm willing to bet there's some licensing issues involved....

Top Bottom