• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A way to have different save file for the melee hack and the standard melee game?

Gamerlolwind

Smash Rookie
hay everyone, i tested out my melee hack yesterday, and

i noticed the save data from the standard melee was used,
and i was wondering if there's a way to have different save file for the melee hack and the standard melee game? so they don't conflict with each other, like my achievements and unlocks from my standard melee carried over to my hacked melee?

thanx :)

Kadano

Magical Express
I avoid this problem by using copies of my Dolphin folder.

Edit: Sorry for being unable to read. -.-

Gamerlolwind

Smash Rookie
I avoid this problem by using copies of my Dolphin folder.
um, you mean copies of the dolphin save as separate saves?
i mean to use separate saves for standard smash melee and hacked melee on gamecube memory card for example?

also, if i convert the game to a different version, I'm using a PAL version, 1.2 think, and let's say i change it to 1.1v etc, does the save change as well? or if i banner change it, the save will be a totally different save?

Kadano

Magical Express
um, you mean copies of the dolphin save as separate saves?
No.

I use different Dolphin installations for different hacks of the same version.
also, if i convert the game to a different version, I'm using a PAL version, 1.2 think, and let's say i change it to 1.1v etc, does the save change as well? or if i banner change it, the save will be a totally different save?
All US NTSC version use the same save folder, PAL uses a different one.

Gamerlolwind

Smash Rookie
No.

I use different Dolphin installations for different hacks of the same version.

All US NTSC version use the same save folder, PAL uses a different one.
um, for dolphin i guess so,
but im not planning to use the saves on dolphin, but on my gamecube like so:

"i mean to use separate saves for standard smash melee and hacked melee on gamecube memory card for example?"
is there any way to make the save of the normal SSBM game be different from the save of the Hack SSBM game?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
You'd have to go to the hacked Melee ISO and change the game ID in the banner via hex editor. Then you'd have to extract your game save and change the game ID to match the hacked one. The memory card will then identify them as two different saves, so you're good. You can also use a game save online and change the game ID in it, then import that to your memory card instead if extraction is not possible.

That's the basic idea of it anyway. I've never modified GC saves so I can't really help you there.

Gamerlolwind

Smash Rookie
You'd have to go to the hacked Melee ISO and change the game ID in the banner via hex editor. Then you'd have to extract your game save and change the game ID to match the hacked one. The memory card will then identify them as two different saves, so you're good. You can also use a game save online and change the game ID in it, then import that to your memory card instead if extraction is not possible.

That's the basic idea of it anyway. I've never modified GC saves so I can't really help you there.
so, if im getting this right you mean to:

Hacked melee iso > change game ID (GALP01) in the banner (opening.bnr) or (banner.bmp?) via hex editor (IxD) used for the .HPS hacking in GSUB's guide.

Game save ID (GALP01) > GALP02?

or

Game save via GameFAQS (PAL save, same as my hacked game's region?)
change game save (GALP01) > Hacked save ID (GALPxx)?

right?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
If you're using GCRebuilder, you're gonna edit the file named ISO.hdr

As for the saves, yes, that's what you would do.

Pac-Man Vs.

Smash Rookie
I know for certain that changing the disc ID at the beginning of the ISO (GALE01) with a hex editor makes the game look for a different save file. I have never successfully converted a GALE01 save to anything else, but I have never tried either.

I recommend not altering the 01 portion of the disc ID and instead altering the GALE portion. The last letter is the region code (if I recall correctly, E=North America, J=Japan, P=Europe). It can be anything but I'd make it something like GAZE without altering the last letter just in case it messes up the GC memory card.

Note that you're likely to corrupt your card by doing any of this. Be careful, make backups, and if possible use an entirely separate card. Leave your "good" memory card out of the system while you're playing around with the other one.

Gamerlolwind

Smash Rookie
If you're using GCRebuilder, you're gonna edit the file named ISO.hdr

As for the saves, yes, that's what you would do.
um, the ISO.hdr is the banner editor?

yeah, for saves it seems pretty straight forward.

I know for certain that changing the disc ID at the beginning of the ISO (GALE01) with a hex editor makes the game look for a different save file. I have never successfully converted a GALE01 save to anything else, but I have never tried either.

I recommend not altering the 01 portion of the disc ID and instead altering the GALE portion. The last letter is the region code (if I recall correctly, E=North America, J=Japan, P=Europe). It can be anything but I'd make it something like GAZE without altering the last letter just in case it messes up the GC memory card.

Note that you're likely to corrupt your card by doing any of this. Be careful, make backups, and if possible use an entirely separate card. Leave your "good" memory card out of the system while you're playing around with the other one.
hum, great idea there Pac Man Vs!
i tried it and you know what? it works!

i used a save i got from gamefaqs and changing the beginning code (ID) from GALP > GAIP
and then did the same for my melee hack.iso > GALP > GAIP

and it worked as it reginizes the save only for melee hack and not my standard melee game, as standard melee game uses a code (ID) > GALP which my hack melee save won't work, yay :)

all i did was edit the offset of coloum (row) 02 from 47 or 43 (can't remember what it was exactly) > 6C.

easy to do, thanx for the helpful tip, dude.

isn't the corrupt issue only if you edit the last letter of the code? like P for example which can lead to corrupt memory card?

DRGN

Technowizard
isn't the corrupt issue only if you edit the last letter of the code? like P for example which can lead to corrupt memory card?
Hm. I'd like to know if this can actually lead to corruption or cause other problems. I simply changed one of my GALE01 dics to DRGN01 because I'm using two different ISOs in the same place and need to differentiate them.

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
Changing the ID in of itself should not corrupt your memory card. I changed GALE01 to SSDR01 and never had issues.

The only potential corruption I can see happening is if you maybe tried to force convert a GALP01 save to GALE01/GALJ01 or vice-versa.

The NA and JP versions of Melee are identical except in title screen and some other misc. stuff, and GALE01 <-> GALJ01 save/ID conversions have no adverse effects.

DRGN

Technowizard
Ah. I didn't know if some systems or software might expect there to always be a region listed (like for DRM or regional lockouts), thus giving an error or making it unplayable in some cases.

Top Bottom