• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Theory Regarding Pra_Mai

What do you think the intended purpose of Pra_Mai was for?

• A Plusle and Minun character duo

Votes: 21 44.7%
  • A random selection for every character

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Something other than the first two choices

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 19 40.4%

• Total voters

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
For those of you who don't know Pra_Mai is the name of a file that contains unused incomplete data in Super Smash Bros. Brawl as stated in the the video made by Did You Know Gaming?[collapse=Did You Know Gaming?]
[/collapse] Pra_Mai is one of seven unused incomplete character data files in which we coin the term "The Forbidden 7". Here is a list of the names from the forbidden seven:
-Dixie Kong
-Doctor Mario
-Mewtwo
-Roy
-Toon Zelda
-Toon Shiek
-Pra_Mai

These seven incomplete and unused character files where thought to be characters who where cut due to time constraints during development.

The Plusle and Minun Theory

Supposedly this Theory is the most widely accepted theory. According to this Theory Plusle and Minun where intended to be playable characters since Prasule and Mainun are there Japanese names, Hence Pra_Mai. The two Pokemon would play out similar to the Ice Climber collaboration style.

My newly Proposed Theory
The Did You Know Gaming? video goes on to explain the second theory stating Pra_Mai somehow links to the random character selection as Pra_Mai can loosely translate to the Japanese abbreviation for every character. The Video dosen't go to much into detail about what else it could possibly be so here's my thought towards it:

Remember Charade from Soul Calibur II?
[collapse=Charade]
[/collapse] At the beginning of each round Charade uses a random weapon from any of the playable characters in Soul Calibur II. Well... What if this type of concept was planned for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. No, I'm not saying that they make Charade a playable character, but instead if a player were to choose the Pra_Mai character option in the character selection screen then you start the match as a random character, just like choosing random, however, as opposed to being assigned a random character and playing with that character through out the match, you instead respawn as a new random character each time you are knocked off of the stage. Sort of how the Pokemon Trainer switches between Pokemon. Pretty cool Huh?! This concept would have been really fun for the casual players.

So what are your thoughts on this Idea? Would you like to see this concept added to Super Smash Brothers for the Wii U and 3DS?

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Pra_mai was rumored to be the Mii.
Really? That ups the chance to see Miis in Sm4sh (which I would like, to be honest).
Anyway I simply don't have any idea.If it was actually going to be Plusle & Minun (dreadful choice imho), probably they were intended as a substitute to Pichu, I guess. I like your idea but having a random slot and also a random character like Charade seems too much to me. Can't anyone just go to Sakurai and ****ing ask him what that was supposed to mean? The game is almost 6 years old, I don't think he would have any problem responding...
I would love to see a Diddy/Dixie combo, anyway.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Holy crud. Theres tons of users viewing this thread right now. (OK it's not a big deal... lol)

And I've never heard of the rumor that Pra_Mai may have been the Mii. I've heard it may be Plusle and Minun, and then theres this theory, but that's it.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The Plusle and Minun Theory

Supposedly this Theory is the most widely accepted theory. According to this Theory Plusle and Minun where intended to be playable characters since Prasule and Mainun are there Japanese names, Hence Pra_Mai. The two Pokemon would play out similar to the Ice Climber collaboration style.
The problem with this theories is there are a lot of inconsistencies with the naming.

• Characters don't have abbreviated names. ZeroSuitSamus is spelled out
  • Both of the Ice Climbers have a separate character file (Nana and Popo)

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
The problem with this theories is there are a lot of inconsistencies with the naming.

This in itself pretty much deconfirms that theory

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
There is the possibility that the file for Plusle and Minun was a placeholder file or something, but there is no way to be certain.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
There is the possibility that the file for Plusle and Minun was a placeholder file or something, but there is no way to be certain.
It would make no sense to have one placeholder file for something that would be two separate files.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I guess you're right, it doesn't really make sense.

That aside, where did the theory that Pra_Mai was planned to be a Mii come from? BluePikmin has still yet to give a source.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
I think BluePikmin was Joking about the Mii...

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone would like to see the concept of switching characters in a match to be implemented in SSB4

Morbi

Scavenger
I always wonder what definition of "deconfirm" people on Smash Boards are using. I did some research into this matter. The prefix "de" refers to the opposite of something. Confirmation is the manifestation of truth. So obviously "deconfirm" would allude to the opposite of the truth. I am not really sure where people get the idea that menial notions actually discredit anything. Now does that attenuate the effect of the theory or prediction? Yes, of course. However, it does not refer to an absolute objective denial of said theory. That is fallacious.

Not picking on you or trying to single you out. It is more of a stab at the Toad opposition.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
I always wonder what definition of "deconfirm" people on Smash Boards are using. I did some research into this matter. The prefix "de" refers to the opposite of something. Confirmation is the manifestation of truth. So obviously "deconfirm" would allude to the opposite of the truth. I am not really sure where people get the idea that menial notions actually discredit anything. Now does that attenuate the effect of the theory or prediction? Yes, of course. However, it does not refer to an absolute objective denial of said theory. That is fallacious.

Not picking on you or trying to single you out. It is more of a stab at the Toad opposition.
Opposition to Toad? I support Toad.

Morbi

Scavenger
Opposition to Toad? I support Toad.
They throw around the term "deconfirm" as though it is a real word with an objective meaning. Just in case you weren't aware, "deconfirm" is not a word. Even if it was a word, I assume its definition would be similar to what I interpreted previously. If so, people are actually using a word that doesn't exist, and they fail to use the definition ascribed to said word. The premise of my arguement is that people should stop using their opinions as an objective fact. Your opinion is irrelevant in this context, the Plusle and Minun theory is attenuated, not "deconfirmed".

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
They throw around the term "deconfirm" as though it is a real word with an objective meaning. Just in case you weren't aware, "deconfirm" is not a word. Even if it was a word, I assume its definition would be similar to what I interpreted previously. If so, people are actually using a word that doesn't exist, and they fail to use the definition ascribed to said word. The premise of my arguement is that people should stop using their opinions as an objective fact. Your opinion is irrelevant in this context, the Plusle and Minun theory is attenuated, not "deconfirmed".
Either way, it's still unlikely that Sakurai would place priority of such miniscule characters, and even MORE PKMN ones.

I am perfectly aware that deconfirm is not a word.

But still, "deconfirm" is open to interpretation by all. So, either way.

But let's get back on topic, shall we?

Morbi

Scavenger
Either way, it's still unlikely that Sakurai would place priority of such miniscule characters, and even MORE PKMN ones.

I am perfectly aware that deconfirm is not a word.

But still, "deconfirm" is open to interpretation by all. So, either way.

But let's get back on topic, shall we?
I was on topic. I just stated that the circumstances do not allude to the notion that the Pra_Mai (Plusle and Minun) is any more fallacious than any other theory. You asserted that the theory is "deconfirmed" based on... well based on nothing really. I was simply trying to mitigate any damage done to the theory.

To put it simply, I disagree. The Plusle and Minun theory is attenuated, not "deconfirmed".

Morbi

Scavenger
i'm not gonna fight about this, let's agree that we both have different opinions on this.
No. Most certainly not, nothing is established as truth until it is officially "deconfirmed". However, I am eager to admit that we do seem to have different perspectives on what the meaning of "deconfirm" is. Which is quite odd considering that the definition is fairly overt and not open to interpretation.

Either way, the Plusle and Minun theory is the one I am sticking with.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Ironically, i do agree with you on what deconfirm means, but I don't undertstand why someone doesn't just *ask* Sakurai.

Also; does the Random box have a folder?

D

Deleted member

I'm unsure what to think. Though, I wouldn't put it past Sakurai if he did make a Plusle and Minun combo where they both have a similar moveset to Pichu and essentially replace Pichu. (much like Toon Link and Young Link) Either way though, I don't even think that we will get them in SSB4.

However, I would like the idea of whenever I get KO'd, a different character comes out. It would be so chaotic with friends... I love it!

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
sorry to get off topic, but nearly every post on this thread is liked by MorbidAltusim....

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
While there is sufficient reason to believe that "Pra_Mai" was not actually Pluse and Minun, I think a lot of people discredit the possibility too early, simply based on the perception that they were never likely additions. I distinctly remember Plusle and Minun being relatively popular suggestions pre-Brawl, and right up until the 4th Generation, they were marketed pretty heavily in the Pokémon franchise. While they were certainly never on the same level as Mewtwo, Lucario, or even Pichu, they were probably the best choice for a Pokémon representative of the 3rd Generation at that time, perhaps tying with Deoxys (Blaziken was never likely outside of a Trainer-like scenario), as their status as the introductory representatives of double battles meant they were at least somewhat iconic to a part of the franchise and its gameplay.

Of course, I must let it be clear that I do not base my opinion of Plusle and Minun's chances much off of "Pra_Mai". To me, the "Pra_Mai as Plusle/Minin" theory has just as much going for it as it does against it. I don't quite think that Plusle and Minun are what it refers to, but I wouldn't be very surprised if we one day find out that they were planned for Brawl.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
The Mii wasn't a rumor since nobody claimed it as official.

I don't remember very well but I think people were talking about the possible meaning of Pra_Mai being My Player.Whatever was My Player supposed to be,the Mii comes to mind.

And Plusle and Minun could have been two characters,but not the IC way,maybe unseparable.
I don't really beleive any of them anyway.
But since Namco is working on the game,I really hope they put a charade character,the Mii or Ditto could do it.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ironically, i do agree with you on what deconfirm means, but I don't undertstand why someone doesn't just *ask* Sakurai.

Also; does the Random box have a folder?
Sakurai doesn't answer questions regarding what ideas were cut from Brawl. He was asked at one point, but only thing he said was that he had A LOT of character ideas that were cut from Brawl, but he didn't want to talk about them because it could potentially give future inclusions away. Villager was obviously one of them as we have learned.

And no, the Random box doesn't have a folder. The folders are simply the data for the characters, and since Random isn't a character, the function is simply coded into the game without any need for data.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
at the time, plusle and minun had a lot of relevence in the pokemon ranger games. THey were basically your starter in those games

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Primids?
Fighting Alloys?
Plusle and Minun badly translated from japanese to english as Purusuru and Mainun?
Wheredid the theory for praimai translating as everything come from?
Is there a japanese word that sounds like praimai?

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
According to Bulbapedia, Plusle and Minun's Japanese names translated into Romanji are Prasle and Minun. The spelling seems awkward when you take pronunciation into account. The Japanese have no natural L sound like English speakers do, so I wonder why the L in Prasle is not an R. More importantly, Minun is identical to the English name and pronunciation. How the I sound is pronounced in English makes it Mai•nuhn. But in Japanese, that would be Mee•noon. Given that the name Pra_Mai is a placeholder for unused data, it may not be entirely accurate to the spelling of the Pokemons' names. Whether its a typo or not is hard to prove and the developers will be quiet about this.

Remember Charade from Soul Calibur II?
[collapse=Charade]
[/collapse] At the beginning of each round Charade uses a random weapon from any of the playable characters in Soul Calibur II. Well... What if this type of concept was planned for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. No, I'm not saying that they make Charade a playable character, but instead if a player were to choose the Pra_Mai character option in the character selection screen then you start the match as a random character, just like choosing random, however, as opposed to being assigned a random character and playing with that character through out the match, you instead respawn as a new random character each time you are knocked off of the stage. Sort of how the Pokemon Trainer switches between Pokemon. Pretty cool Huh?! This concept would have been really fun for the casual players.
If Miis (or just about any humanoid character) were to use the Mokujin/Olcadan/Edge Master/Charade archetype in Smash Brothers, that would not fit well with the type of game it is. Sure, it does add a fun factor of unpredictability. But the characters in Soul Calibur are all humanoids. Smash has huge variety in body types. Having to properly map the models and frames to a limited humanoid character would be a chore and look extremely awkward (Kirby Inhale on your Mii, anyone?) Scaling the height and weight of the characters would have to be put into consideration. Given these two reasons, certain character abilities might not even be properly incorporated, like Yoshi's Egg Lay for example.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Although it would be cool for the Miis to have a 'random' type... I'd say that they are ruled out, just for the reasons that Captain Hotcakes stated above.

Piks

Smash Journeyman

Really, we're gonna discredit the idea just because of the typing?

Character files are abbreviated all the time:
Zero Suit Samus is typed as "SZerosuit"
and Captain Falcon is just called "Captain"
just to name two.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Really, we're gonna discredit the idea just because of the typing?

Character files are abbreviated all the time:
Zero Suit Samus is typed as "SZerosuit"
and Captain Falcon is just called "Captain"
just to name two.
Still doesn't explain why they are one file and not two. If they were a tag team, they would have separate files, not the same file. Even Dixie is separate.

Piks

Smash Journeyman
Nah man, Popo and Nana are in the same file. You might be remembering wrong:

D

Deleted member

"pra_mai" cannot mean "every player".
While it is true that "mai" can be translated to "each" or "every" like in words like "mainichi" (every day), "pra" can not be translated to "player".
Closest thing to "pra" that can be "player" is "pureiyaa", which if abbreviated at all would be "prei", not "pra".
Whoever first came up with that translation is a moron.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
I just noticed the ancient topic here and realized nobody brought this up and I'm gonna try to bring this up as much as i could for any Praimai debate topic i see.

The Mii/Every Player theory is debunked and was a misconception the Wiki did nothing to reclarify on as people ran it as a fact.
The two Pikaclones were absolutely in consideration at some point.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
He does that. He likes every post he sees.
And he was right all along. That much is very clear now that Smashboards is dying out and there are much fewer posts here. We now see that without many user posts Smashboards is but a shadow of what it was back when it still had vast amount of user posts. We now see that the user posts were all along what made Smashboards great. Yes, you, and along with you all other Smashboards posters, with your arguments, discussions, agreements, disagreements, flames, compliments, friendly banter, information, misinformation, and much more; you are what make Smashboards great. And that is why all of you deserve a like!

Top Bottom