• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A tag team mode Smash Switch. (discussion )

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
The title pretty much says it all. Just wondering what people think about a tag team mode. I surprised Smash hasn't had it already and now given the consoles name I think its pretty likely. Plus it could bring back character transformations when you select specific characters for your team Zelda/Sheik, Samus/Zero Suit. Plus Pokemon Trainer could appear in the background again when you select Pokemon characters(Example: Mario jumps off screen, then Pokemon Trainer throws ball containing Pikachu.)

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I’d love to see one finally. The only one we got so far was the end battle of Smash Tour, which meant you had to suffer with a random team (and you had to play through that moronic mode).

I basically always did that with the Pokémon Trainer in Brawl - I didn’t use the transformations much in game, but I always played each mon in turn.

...so nostalgic. I miss Squirtle...:crying:

But yeah, I can’t understand why we haven’t gotten this mode yet. It can obviously be done.

Morbi

Scavenger
I am not huge on tag-team fighters, and in the grand scheme of things, I would have preferred they tested those waters with the Wii U version as this game is much more likely to be "live service-esque." But, at the same time, I am intrigued. It just would have fit better last time. Two versions, two fighters? Cut the Ice Climbers and separate Sheik and Samus... It would have made sense.

aliensalmon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aliensalmon
3DS FC
1204-0174-6540
It would be okay...but I just don't want Pokemon Trainer back, though.

aliensalmon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aliensalmon
3DS FC
1204-0174-6540
I just don't like the humans in the Pokemon world, especially them being in Smash Bros. I like it better when Pokemon are playable by themselves without Trainers. Pokemon are able to be solo and to take on the other stars of Smash by themselves, too!

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
I wouldn't count on character transformations being a thing anymore, not after WiiU/3DSsmash separated Samus and Sheik/Zelda.

A real kind of tag-team mode would be nice to see in Smash though, where the player has a few characters (probably three, that's a good round number that makes sense) that cycle through after a KO.

I think a serious point of consideration for a tag-team style battle would have to be whether the swap-out can be done manually by the player at any time, or if it's locked and only occurs after the player's character is KOed.

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't count on character transformations being a thing anymore, not after WiiU/3DSsmash separated Samus and Sheik/Zelda.

A real kind of tag-team mode would be nice to see in Smash though, where the player has a few characters (probably three, that's a good round number that makes sense) that cycle through after a KO.

I think a serious point of consideration for a tag-team style battle would have to be whether the swap-out can be done manually by the player at any time, or if it's locked and only occurs after the player's character is KOed.
That's what I mean though, the transformation animations could be used only during a tag team match when you swap specific characters. That way they can be incorporated back in the game without effecting the main game.

Personally I would like to swap characters manually during a tag team match, it should be fairly easy to implement. The best way I see is using one of the directions on the d-pad, replacing one of the taunts, that way moves aren't effected.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
That's what I mean though, the transformation animations could be used only during a tag team match when you swap specific characters. That way they can be incorporated back in the game without effecting the main game.

Personally I would like to swap characters manually during a tag team match, it should be fairly easy to implement. The best way I see is using one of the directions on the d-pad, replacing one of the taunts, that way moves aren't effected.
You also have three buttons for jump.

You could just use one.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
I think it's a cool idea, but I'm worried that there won't be any reason to play the 1-character mode anymore.

Last edited:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
After playing Dragon Ball Fighter Z the last few months, and as a big fan of a whole bunch of different characters in the roster, a tag team mode sounds awesome to me. It would also bring up the possibility of new assist-type moves (rather than fulling tagging in) which could add some easy depth to chain-in combos.

Top Bottom