• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Support Thread... for me?! Cool!!! Mr. Stevenson is ready to fire!

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Mr. Stevenson for Smash Brothers Ultimate (DLC)

B6B64DB8-B17B-4001-9FC9-08BA49E2F745.jpeg

Wait, Nintendo had a detective?
Yes they did, he was the protagonist of an old NES Zapper game called Gumshoe, but for some reason they never brought him back, not even in Smash Brothers as a trophy/spirit, what a shame indeed.
Anyways, Robert Louis Stevenson (no, not the one you’re thinking of) is a private eye gone detective, and the father of a little girl named Jennifer. In his game, Jennifer is kidnapped by Mafia boss named King Dom who forces him to collect five panther diamonds in order to save his daughter. Throughout the game, Detective Stevenson waddles around and explores several different areas, in order to collect one panther diamond in each one of them. It starts from a desert, to a city, then to a sea, and finally to a jungle where he must fight a one eyed monster named Zulie, who guards the last diamond.
While this Detective runs and jumps forward, the player must protect him by shooting the enemies and several projectiles that appear on-screen.

4E9DC55E-9B37-4F95-B40D-9D533ED66A7F.jpeg

What would he do then?
Honestly, I could easily see him as a semi-echo or clone fighter of Duck Hunt Duo, since both of them are part of the Zapper series. But if we wanna be a little more creative than that, maybe he could get some new fancy moves, perhaps he could float normally, like Jigglypuff and Kirby do (as weird as that sounds, he does that in Gumshoe, whenever he gets shot, that is), and then use his hat as a parachute, or maybe balloons for his up special. The coolest thing that comes to my mind is having the player scoping through the screen, and target his opponents, just like in Gumshoe. Maybe that could be a special, or perhaps a final Smash that would work similiarly to Snake's FS in Brawl.

Pros:
-He's a Nintendo character, meaning that Sakurai has free use of him.

-Gumshoe has a lot of cool stages and great soundtracks to choose from.

-There was no Retro character revealed in Smash yet, maybe he could be the one.

-Sakurai confirmed that a character doesn’t necessarily have to be recognizable to everyone, it’s enough if they’re fun to play.

Neutral:
Neither Mr Stevenson or Gumshoe ever had any sort of representation in Smash Bros to this very day, this can either be good or bad, considering that Reggie stated that the upcoming DLC characters would be new to the series.

Cons:
-Extremely obscure character from a forgotten NES game.

-Although Gumshoe was created and designed by Yoshio Sakamoto (the same man who created Wrecking Crew, and designed some Metroid characters), the game was only released in America.

-Duck Hunt Duo is already a Rep for the Zapper series, will Sakurai want another one?

033DD16D-10B3-4129-A4A3-BF8D17A99154.jpeg

Who’s with me?

Supporters:
Mr. Stevenson Mr. Stevenson
R RetrogamerMax
Oddball Oddball
GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741
smashkirby smashkirby
smash puffle smash puffle
ninjahmos ninjahmos

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I'd actually be interested in seeing this guy in Smash.

Also, here's the art from the VS Gumshoe Flyer.

It's not quite as colorful as the cover art for Mr. Stevenson, but I thought you might want to see it.
https://imgur.com/5zQoYXA
Thanks, it’s really cool. Really gives the feel of an 80’s cartoon comic book, like Garfield.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'd love to see Mr. Stevenson in Smash. I remember seeing a very awesome moveset for him (I'll repost it if I find it), and it would be really fun to see a more comedic take on a character, where his moves are more like stuff going on around him and he just reacts.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I imagine him as the Isabelle to Duck Hunt's Villager. maybe his jumps have a really small hitbox that causes extremely minor damage (00.01 maybe?) but no knockback to any foes extremely close?

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I'd love to see Mr. Stevenson in Smash. I remember seeing a very awesome moveset for him (I'll repost it if I find it), and it would be really fun to see a more comedic take on a character, where his moves are more like stuff going on around him and he just reacts.
I found two, in an old support thread for him (ehr... I mean, me), and here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/67094555
I really dig your idea, making multiple projectiles and stuff from Gumshoe appear, and Mr. Stevenson gets out of the way in panic, while they hit your opponent, that'd be pretty funny. :grin:

I imagine him as the Isabelle to Duck Hunt's Villager. maybe his jumps have a really small hitbox that causes extremely minor damage (00.01 maybe?) but no knockback to any foes extremely close?
That's exactly what I was going for, in my "moveset suggestion".
Well, he does he indeed get shot whenever he jumps, so I guess that does make sense afterall. :laugh:

How did I not find this earlier? I support Mr. Stevenson!
Hey welcome. You're a big retro character fan, aren't you? I'm glad to have you here on board! :)

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Thanks! Remind me, your idea for Mr. Stevenson pretty much has him go for a different approach to Duck Hunt's gimmick of being shot at, right?
Yeah, I guess. But in Mr. Stevenson’s case, it would be whenever he’s jumping. I think he should be able to jump many times and have no recovery, like Jigglypuff, but in his case, he takes a little bit of damage as well.

But yeah, he definitely should have the same kind of reaction as the Dog from Duck Hunt, to random projectiles and gunshooting.

Maybe his Smash attacks should be the same as Duck Hunt Duo’s, but maybe have a different kind of damage effect, like Ness and Lucas’ Pk Fire.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah, I guess. But in Mr. Stevenson’s case, it would be whenever he’s jumping. I think he should be able to jump many times and have no recovery, like Jigglypuff, but in his case, he takes a little bit of damage as well.

But yeah, he definitely should have the same kind of reaction as the Dog from Duck Hunt, to random projectiles and gunshooting.

Maybe his Smash attacks should be the same as Duck Hunt Duo’s, but maybe have a different kind of damage effect, like Ness and Lucas’ Pk Fire.
That sound great, you get to have a great recovery but at the expense of life. That makes it so that if you have tons of damage you still get KO'd so it's not overpowered.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

That sound great, you get to have a great recovery but at the expense of life. That makes it so that if you have tons of damage you still get KO'd so it's not overpowered.
Well, at least taking damage from the jumping would be somewhat balance out the infinite jumps thing. Can't even begin to imagine the folks who'd be salty from seeing a character have that feature though.

Also, I'd love to see his reactions to getting shot at from the foreground. Say, what did you have mind for the different damage effects?

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Glad you liked it, it would also accurately represent Gumshoe. I think it would be fair if he starts taking 0.05% damage when he jumps more than the normal two times, and as the cherry on the top, there should be Zapper sounds every time he jumps.
Well, at least taking damage from the jumping would be somewhat balance out the infinite jumps thing. Can't even begin to imagine the folks who'd be salty from seeing a character have that feature though.

Also, I'd love to see his reactions to getting shot at from the foreground. Say, what did you have mind for the different damage effects?
I was thinking maybe he should have a total of 8 or 9 jumps at his use, no character has ever really had an infinite recovery (unless you count Snake, but that one wasn’t intentional).

Oh and as for the damage effects I mentioned, I was thinking that for Mr. Stevenson’s Smash attacks, that just like Duck Hunt Duo, it would also involve Zapper gunfire, he should have two shots instead of three, but instead of sending your opponents flying right away, in his case it would stun them a little, kind of like Zero Suit Samus’ lazer gun.

Last edited:

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Sure. I will show my support. I didn't know Gumshoe didn't release in Japan. As a big StarTropics fan, I feel your pain.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Sure. I will show my support. I didn't know Gumshoe didn't release in Japan. As a big StarTropics fan, I feel your pain.
Thanks, what a bummer.

Sometimes it really seems Nintendo wants to forget whatever wasn’t released in Japan.
I mean why on earth didn’t they at the very least give Mr. Stevenson and Mike Jones a spirit? They normally do special homages to their classic retro stuff, specially in Smash, but by the looks of it, I guess it’s only the ones that came out in Japan. ****ing ridiculous!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Thanks, what a bummer.

Sometimes it really seems Nintendo wants to forget whatever wasn’t released in Japan.
I mean why on earth didn’t they at the very least give Mr. Stevenson and Mike Jones a spirit? They normally do special homages to their classic retro stuff, specially in Smash, but by the looks of it, I guess it’s only the ones that came out in Japan. ****ing ridiculous!
And as a fan of Pilotwings 64, I also sympathize with you both. Seriously, how do Mr. Stevenson and Mike still not have Spirits at the very least???

You know what's even worse? When the game you're a fan of actually DID get released in Japan, yet Nintendo STILL won't acknowledge its existence.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Damn we really can't be typing **** huh. Poor Richard.
Funny thing, I typed 'that word' the first time around and it was censored. So... I changed it (just so moderators wouldn't start to get on me for it). But after that, I came across the newest trailer for the new Scooby-Doo movie, and I wonder... is this day going to be filled with those jokes or something?

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Funny thing, I typed 'that word' the first time around and it was censored. So... I changed it (just so moderators wouldn't start to get on me for it). But after that, I came across the newest trailer for the new Scooby-Doo movie, and I wonder... is this day going to be filled with those jokes or something?
lol oof don’t get me started on that one. The movie really doesn’t do justice to DlCK Dastardly with those corny jokes... or his god awful design.

Edit: I spelled it, take that censorship!!!

Here's a few possible color combos for the guy.

View attachment 265718
Nice, I was wondering did you based the green and pink outfits on how he becomes when he drinks the potions in the game?
14D67270-737D-4FB6-A9E6-6CD7B3DD191F.jpeg
C3EDE1AA-EA2E-4D33-A54D-0431CF7650FD.jpeg

If so, cool!

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Nice, I was wondering did you based the green and pink outfits on how he becomes when he drinks the potions in the game?
I did actually. I decided to change the pants from the sprite colors just to add a bit more variety in the clothes.

The Black and gray outfit was just to have a more Noir detective look and the white jacket black pants is a nod to Casablanca.

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
Honestly I always wanted Stevenson to appear in Duck Hunt's moveset somehow seeing as how Gumshoe's the only Nintendo-developed zapper game they don't represent. I kinda figured he could cameo in the Final Smash or even the Smash Attacks (whenever a shot was fired he would appear and be bounced into the air as a visual effect)

But I'd still like him as a fighter anyway.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I did actually. I decided to change the pants from the sprite colors just to add a bit more variety in the clothes.

The Black and gray outfit was just to have a more Noir detective look and the white jacket black pants is a nod to Casablanca.
I actually thought the black and white outfit was supposed to reference those huge Armadillos from the game.
79B7B56C-518F-4217-81C0-3A10F16A432A.jpeg

But now I see. Pretty creative!

Honestly I always wanted Stevenson to appear in Duck Hunt's moveset somehow seeing as how Gumshoe's the only Nintendo-developed zapper game they don't represent. I kinda figured he could cameo in the Final Smash or even the Smash Attacks (whenever a shot was fired he would appear and be bounced into the air as a visual effect)

But I'd still like him as a fighter anyway.
That’d certainly be better than nothing, and I’d actually be glad to see Gumshoe getting some attention and representation. Having him cameo on the Duck Hunt Duo’s Final Smash (like Doc Lou with Little Mac) would be really awesome! As crazy as it sounds, I always liked to believe Mr. Stevenson was the one who owned the dog from Duck Hunt.

Anyways, good to know. Shall I add you as a supporter, then?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Say, if Mr. Stevenson was added to Smash, what do you all think he'd look like in 3D? Personally, I think he'd keep the Wario-like stocky body build he uses in official Gumshoe artwork. Obviously, he'd be bigger than Wario, of course.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Say, if Mr. Stevenson was added to Smash, what do you all think he'd look like in 3D? Personally, I think he'd keep the Wario-like stocky body build he uses in official Gumshoe artwork. Obviously, he'd be bigger than Wario, of course.
Well I sincerely hope they don’t redesign the character I love his Gumshoe design way too much. I think he’d be somewhat Banjo sized.
But yeah, what I’d expect is his official artwork design but in 3D, of course, so yeah I can see some Wario vibes too.

Oh and by the way, this might be the right time to show you guys this, since Mr. Stevenson’s artwork is very limited, basically I tried to draw the guy exactly how he looks like but on a different perspective and pose.
Well, I’m glad to say that I am pretty satisfied with the result, if they can make him look exactly like this in Smash, that’d be perfect.

I’m thinking of coloring it soon.

A723048D-BE6B-4BD8-A19D-C63635EE3115.jpeg

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Well I sincerely hope they don’t redesign the character I love his Gumshoe design way too much. I think he’d be somewhat Banjo sized.
But yeah, what I’d expect is his official artwork design but in 3D, of course, so yeah I can see some Wario vibes too.

Oh and by the way, this might be the right time to show you guys this, since Mr. Stevenson’s artwork is very limited, basically I tried to draw the guy exactly how he looks like but on a different perspective and pose.
Well, I’m glad to say that I am pretty satisfied with the result, if they can make him look exactly like this in Smash, that’d be perfect.

I’m thinking of coloring it soon.

View attachment 266052
Wow, this looks good! I like that you kept the panicked look on his face too, but I don't know if he'd look so... stiff, if that makes sense.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Wow, this looks good! I like that you kept the panicked look on his face too, but I don't know if he'd look so... stiff, if that makes sense.
Thanks, and yeah it’s actually kinda hard to imagine him without that expression, honestly, it’s kinda like picturing classic Dr. Robotnik not smiling with his teeth showing. And well, I think I see what you mean, maybe he needs more expression and movements, but keep in mind, this was just a simple draft. Maybe I’ll develop more eventually.

Did you ever get around to coloring it?

If not, you mind if I give it a shot?
Absolutely, do it if you want. I actually started but I didn’t get to finish it.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Thanks, and yeah it’s actually kinda hard to imagine him without that expression, honestly, it’s kinda like picturing classic Dr. Robotnik not smiling with his teeth showing. And well, I think I see what you mean, maybe he needs more expression and movements, but keep in mind, this was just a simple draft. Maybe I’ll develop more eventually.
Well, it'll be nice to see your revised take on him, when you get the chance!

By the way, everyone. what do you all think Mr. Stevenson's Spirit Battle would be like?

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
By the way, everyone. what do you all think Mr. Stevenson's Spirit Battle would be like?
I think Oddball’s idea is pretty good. Just add Duck Hunt Duo in there to accurately represent the fact that Gumshoe is part of the Zapper series and you’re good to go.

I do think some of the other main characters from the game should be spirits too, mainly Jennifer (Isabelle) and King Dom (Wario).

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Timed Battle against Dr. Mario in Foursides.
Doc has increased jumping ability.
Wow, this is really good! Hey, maybe Doc could wear his yellow lab coat? You know, to represent Mr. Stevenson's tan trench coat?

I think Oddball’s idea is pretty good. Just add Duck Hunt Duo in there to accurately represent the fact that Gumshoe is part of the Zapper series and you’re good to go.

I do think some of the other main characters from the game should be spirits too, mainly Jennifer (Isabelle) and King Dom (Wario).
Maybe you could have Duck Hunt be invisible for the whole battle, if you really want to sell that idea of the NES Zapper.

Wait, do Jennifer and King Dom even HAVE artwork to use in that manner? I'm pretty sure Sakurai mentioned something about how additional characters were planned to appear as Spirits, but good artwork/ANY art whatsoever of them couldn't be found. Then again, the Ice Climber Spirits are there...

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Maybe you could have Duck Hunt be invisible for the whole battle, if you really want to sell that idea of the NES Zapper.
Well yeah, that’s even better actually. Good thinking!

Wait, do Jennifer and King Dom even HAVE artwork to use in that manner? I'm pretty sure Sakurai mentioned something about how additional characters were planned to appear as Spirits, but good artwork/ANY art whatsoever of them couldn't be found. Then again, the Ice Climber Spirits are there...
47D81F46-20C1-4500-A1EA-AF797BC9BD67.jpeg

King Dom does, actually (sorry if the image is a bit blurry).
But yeah, either way they can always use their in-game sprites too.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Count me in for support! We could use more obscure first-party Nintendo characters for Smash.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Count me in for support! We could use more obscure first-party Nintendo characters for Smash.
Oh I wholeheartedly agree! There are still so many of them missing, and it’d be great seeing them come back in Nintendo’s Ultimate crossover game. But unfortunately it seems nowadays only relevant or highly demanded Nintendo characters get the green pass, sadly.

Top Bottom