• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Super Luigi FAQ - The Basic Things 'n Links, for Beginners

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
This FAQ is here to simply answer common questions of Luigi for beginners. Such as, How do I Fire Punch? Can Luigi beat MK? etc. These are generally asked questions, so don't expect to see anything new here.

Now then!

~Basics of Luigi

Q: What kind of a fighter is Luigi?
A: Luigi is a straight out aerial fighter. Sure, his ground game is ok, but you'll be wanting to do most of your combat airborne. Why? Luigi is floaty, and his aerials are very fast in comparison to others. He can do 2 Aerials in one shorthop. While he can't WoP as well as other due to his low air speed, he can juggle like a beast, and can be hard to stop in some cases.

Q: How high is the learning curve for Luigi?
A: It's fairly high. Luigi has slippery traction and it's a lot more noticeable in him than in, say, Yoshi. So many players might not like his unsteady grip. However, he's easy to learn from the start. Mastering his techniques will take quite a while, but before you know it, you're throwing Shoryukens everywhere!

Q: How good is Luigi's Recovery?
A: Incredible! Second Jump with the Tornado, Green Missile and Super Jump Punch make this a grade A recovery. However, it is predictable, so don't think edgeguarding characters won't be able to gimp him.

Q: How good does Luigi do against MK/Snake/Wario/Other High Tier characters
A: Luigi has an uphill battle with MOST of the high tiers. However, he doesn't have TOO hard of a time with them. Except MK. MK eats Luigi alive as his Mach Tornado beats out anything and everything Luigi's got. It IS however still winnable, so don't give up on the green man yet for that.. On the other hand, Luigi utterly ***** Wario because of his Aerial game overpowering his, and Wario is supposed to be airborne a lot, sooo... yeah.

Q: Who's better, Luigi or Mario?
A: When pitted against each other, Luigi has the advantage. However, compared to the other characters, it's sort of hard to call. Both seem to support each other's bad matchups somehow, so I honestly don't know compared to the rest of the cast. Choose which one is your own style and go for it. Just don't be a N00b and choose one Bro and assume the other sucks. :/

Q: Does Luigi have any kind of Chaingrab, Infinite, etc.?
A: Not in the slightest, other than FThrow, but even then it's stretching it... FThrow chains barely count as CGs and you should only use it if your opponent sucks at DI :p TO do it, Simply FThrow, Dash Grab, FThrow, etc.

~Luigi Mechanics

Q: How do you Fire Jump Punch?
A: You need to right next to the opponent to pull this off. Simply Up+B when you're next to them. If you pull it right, you should hear a PING (Or a fire effect when performing aerial) and they should fly up pretty high. This moves kills in the 40s through 60s (70s through 100s Aerial) and you should save this move as a definite killer.

Q: How do you make the Tornado rise?
A: The most asked question I've seen thus far. The tornado is momentum based, which means its ascend is primarily based on whether you're jumping or falling, and it's also based on how much you button mash B. Mashing B will shift the momentum upwards. SO if you're doing a second jump, you will shoot up high, but if you're falling, don't expect to go up too much, because the upwards momentum is canceling your downwards fall.

Q: Can you control Luigi's Misfire?
A: No, it's random. 1/8th. 1/8th. It's random. No. You can't. Period. plz.

Q:How do you get Luigi stuck in the wall with the Green Missile?
A: It's random. I dunno the probability. He can get stuck in even the slightest of straight walls (Read: FD's Edge if not sweet spotted) but he doesn't get back a second jump or rising tornado. It's mainly there to stall a recovery and make the opponent lose focus by lolzing but don't count on it. And yes, you can still get hit while stuck in the wall.

Q: How do you meteor smash with the DAir/DTilt/DTaunt?
A: First, wow weird coincidence it's all downwards commands. Now then!
DAir - The meteor hitbox lies somewhere on either side of Luigi; where he spins his hands, and the butt. You need to be very precise with this move, you can't be too far (Won't hit at all!) or too close (Will hit sideways). YOu're bettre off using this move to kill sideways, anyway, but if you pull off the meteor, kudos to ya.
DTilt and DTaunt - Very, very situational. They need to be hanging off of the ledge and you need to be right next to them for the hitbox to connect. If you connect with DTaunt, it's an autokill for you and lolz all around. DTilt, don't even try, just use it for tripping, I only mention DTIlt cuz it's possible. :/

~INCOMPLETE, PLEASE ADD COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS PLEASE IF THERE ARE ANY LEFT~

~HELPFUL LINKS~

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=158745 Loucan's Green Machine Guide. The basic knowhow of Luigi's Moves, Strategies, etc.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=174824 Leperchaun Drunk's Luigi Matchup THread. Indepth disscussion of Luigi versus X Character here.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=147842 Luigi Video Thread (Abeit outdated IMO) but look here to get an idea of Luigi visually. :p
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=188255 An indepth disscussion on Luigi's weaknesses. After all, you only know your character better by knowing what's wrong.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=180142 Luigi Strategy and Techniques Thread. Very helpful on how to set up Fire Punches, Jab Canceling, all that shnazzy stuff.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=175919 My own Incredible Fireball Guide. One of Luigi's most underlooked moves.

TEH EDN

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
I misfire all the time, i don't know what you are talking about! jk xD.

IMO a question i get a lot is whenever his low traction hinders luigi as a character. It seems a lot of people are turned off when they see luigi treating the battlefield like slip' n' slide in a kid's backyard.

I think its important to get out to an upcoming luigi player that the low traction isn't a bad thing, and is more part of luigi's style than his handicap. When you understand how to compensate for his low traction, you won't be hindered by his movements and reactions. I know you said this in the answer of the questions "how high is the learning curve for luigi", but i think you should make it a sub question or a more fleshed out comment under luigi's learning curve.

Then again, i am just suggesting, your pen (keyboard, w.e) has the last say in adding it xD.

(i still misfire all the time though).

PolMex23

Smash Champion
I think you have a valid point in the the slide isnt that bad.

I like to fight up close an punish my opponent for there mistakes but, if you slide, mean you got hit or shielded a smash at the wrong time. So, as you slide away, it gives you time to come up with a new aproach...

i seem to misfire at very good points of the match xD

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
YOU TRIPLE POSTED =O, but thanks for housekeeping the boards, we wouldn't have this problem if people would stop bumping pointless threads.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Perhaps you should include how to autocancel all of Luigi's aerials that can be canceled.
Meh, I'll leave that up to Hippie or someone to do, i have a hard time explaining how to space your distance and time your jump to autocancel aerials, i just kind of do it lol.

Bair can't be autocanceled, pretty sure about that. Dair can be autocanceled because I use it all the time that way. Dair > autocancel > another aerial. But if you are too close to the ground when you do it you lag after hitting the ground. Same thing with uair, too close and you hit the ground with your head (lol). I don't think it can be autocanceled either, but uair's lag is small enough not to even matter anyway. Nair is funky, you do a little landing animation after you hit the ground no matter when you do it, and its last too long to space yourself from the ground to catch its ending frames, unless you full jump, but even then its weird. The landing lag isn't great, so i wouldn't worry about autocanceling it.

All in all, i think its only fair and dair, but i could be wrong.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Meh, I'll leave that up to Hippie or someone to do, i have a hard time explaining how to space your distance and time your jump to autocancel aerials, i just kind of do it lol.

Bair can't be autocanceled, pretty sure about that. Dair can be autocanceled because I use it all the time that way. Dair > autocancel > another aerial. But if you are too close to the ground when you do it you lag after hitting the ground. Same thing with uair, too close and you hit the ground with your head (lol). I don't think it can be autocanceled either, but uair's lag is small enough not to even matter anyway. Nair is funky, you do a little landing animation after you hit the ground no matter when you do it, and its last too long to space yourself from the ground to catch its ending frames, unless you full jump, but even then its weird. The landing lag isn't great, so i wouldn't worry about autocanceling it.

All in all, i think its only fair and dair, but i could be wrong.

Actually when you try to do a SH dair twice, the second dair hitbox won't be pulled out (cause his body didn't twirl), and you'll receive the landing lag. His Fair has a lots of landing lag, but you won't be using it through your 2nd aerial from a SH, from a crapload times unless you wanna mix up the aerial game. Bair's landing lag isn't too bad. I remember there is a certain timing to auto cancel the aerials but that's just so hard. I don't think Luigi needs to auto cancel his aerials cause if it was all, he'd be hella broken aerial fighter.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Actually when you try to do a SH dair twice, the second dair hitbox won't be pulled out (cause his body didn't twirl), and you'll receive the landing lag. His Fair has a lots of landing lag, but you won't be using it through your 2nd aerial from a SH, from a crapload times unless you wanna mix up the aerial game. Bair's landing lag isn't too bad. I remember there is a certain timing to auto cancel the aerials but that's just so hard. I don't think Luigi needs to auto cancel his aerials cause if it was all, he'd be hella broken aerial fighter.
I don't think you need to auto cancel it either, but yeah thanks for that explanation with dair's hitbox. Fair might be the only worthwhile move to autocancel, i can do with enough timing, but that means i can't use fair as a second aerial out of a shorthop, which isn't good. So i'd rather just space myself after the fair to minimize risk of punishment from the lag. All in all though, i don't even think you can autocancel anything if you do double aerials, and i'd rather double aerial than autocancel. Now if it were lag canceling...

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
yeah i prefer double aerial rather than auto cancelling , although fair might be worthwhile if you follow up with jab >dtilt trip> shoryuken

Rabert

Smash Rookie
2 quick specific questions.. not sure if they are FAQ's.. but I didn't want to start a thread just for them.

#1 For a character jumping at you.. would his rising tornado be good for canceling their falling attacks? Or would his up-smash be more suitable?

#2 one of my friends wins most of the time via Yoshi grab game (the bite and forward release). Are fireballs my best friend here?

Thanks in advance!

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
2 quick specific questions.. not sure if they are FAQ's.. but I didn't want to start a thread just for them.

#1 For a character jumping at you.. would his rising tornado be good for canceling their falling attacks? Or would his up-smash be more suitable?

#2 one of my friends wins most of the time via Yoshi grab game (the bite and forward release). Are fireballs my best friend here?

Thanks in advance!
Well i'm not sure if you mean shorthopped rising tornados for full jumped ones, but either way i don't think the tornado is particularly viable in those situations. The cooldown to start up on the tornado throws you off, even if you do counter their falling attacks. Plus, chances are they can throw another aerial your way and knock you away.

If the enemy is so far as to require a full jumped tornado, then forget about it, its not worth the risk of punishment. The only way i find that viable is if you catch him on your last hit, which has higher knockback (chances are you'll miss, or clank though).

Shorthopped tornados are also too lagged and can't be autocanceled, so even if you knock your opponent away, he can come back. Not being able to move much with the shorthopp tornado means you're a sitting a duck during the attack cooldown.

Out prioritize enemies with nair, shield, or spotdodge. (or just simply move out of their way). Tornado is too excessive and will get you punished. (not saying it can't be used for other things).

Yoshi has that pseudo long grab with his tongue, something that typically can be avoided with a spot dodge. Fireballs are always fine for screwing with his momentum, but I think the best thing to do is avoid his grabs with spotdodges or shorthops and punish accordingly. Fireballs on a missed grab would probably be to yoshi's advantage, as he resets his grab which suffers some lag. You have to be careful though, because his grab isn't as laggy as other long grabs (like zamus or link), but i'm sure you already know that.

Fireballs to bait and pressure yoshi are great in general, and i imagine it can be used to cancel his jumps (unless he has super armour?). Either way, catching yoshi with a bad grab, or a laggy aerial is your best bet. In effect, don't get grabbed lol, but use those fireballs to keep your distance and seek opportunities. I'm not too big on yoshi fights so much of this is based on limited info.

PS: Thanks for putting your question in this thread and not making a new one =D, people listen!

Rabert

Smash Rookie
Thank you for responding!

I'm going to give an example of what i have to deal with,
Donkey Kong's short hop (I guess, I don't know technical terms, supposedly I do it without knowing though) towards me, then double fist down (F-Air?). I can block/dodge it, but I'd like to punish him for doing it rather than just running away to let him keep doing it.

And any good advice for edgeguarding? I tend to stand towards the edge and launch fireballs, edgehogging when possible. But because Luigi is so good in the air, would jumping out to meet them be good? N-air, can't say I've ever used it, I'm used to picking a direction. Am I missing out?

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Thank you for responding!

I'm going to give an example of what i have to deal with,
Donkey Kong's short hop (I guess, I don't know technical terms, supposedly I do it without knowing though) towards me, then double fist down (F-Air?). I can block/dodge it, but I'd like to punish him for doing it rather than just running away to let him keep doing it.

And any good advice for edgeguarding? I tend to stand towards the edge and launch fireballs, edgehogging when possible. But because Luigi is so good in the air, would jumping out to meet them be good? N-air, can't say I've ever used it, I'm used to picking a direction. Am I missing out?
DK's Fair is so laggy you can just shorthop away and then attack him when he hits the ground. I don't even think it can be autocanceled. Sometimes your best bet is to just jump or walk out of range (walking is actually a pretty good method of escape).

If you want to play a passive edgeguard, space yourself from the edge so that your fireballs are at the limit of their range but still can hit the edge. From there, your enemy can't roll or walk on, as he will get hit and you can follow that up with a smash. He can't attack; you are too far away. And jumping in the air is an invitation to get pounded by luigi's aerials.

Nair is an important move of luigis: it can be used to kill, out prioritize attacks, and it comes out fast enough to stop your opponent in a string of attacks. Furthermore, it last long enough that it doesn't always have to hit on the first frames. In fact, attacking someone with a delayed nair that has reduced knockback is a nice way to start combos. Fastfall->nair->uptilts->uair. It gets predictable after a while though, and easily grabbed.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Nice thread.

Here's a question. Can you reverse a FJP? Also, any ideas on how I can stop accidentally missileing when I get the chance (just get excited lol), or is it the same old, practice?

Rabert

Smash Rookie
Is running -> A (his little fists of doom) worth using? When I hit with it I'm never sad, but if they spot dodge I basically am just asking to get smoked. I've had success with canceling moves and pushing them off the edge with it. But would it be better to just use something else in most cases?

I guess.. what's a good approach on people?

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Nice thread.

Here's a question. Can you reverse a FJP? Also, any ideas on how I can stop accidentally missileing when I get the chance (just get excited lol), or is it the same old, practice?
Yeah that's pretty much practice, try to keep your control stick moving in cardinal directions, don't try to land stuff with diagonal up or down, its not reliable. As for reversing jump punch, i don't get what you mean. Like turn around and do an jump punch? That can be done, but that might lead to your first problem, as turning 180 and pushing the control stick up might lead to a torpedo if you don't time it right.

Is running -> A (his little fists of doom) worth using? When I hit with it I'm never sad, but if they spot dodge I basically am just asking to get smoked. I've had success with canceling moves and pushing them off the edge with it. But would it be better to just use something else in most cases?

I guess.. what's a good approach on people?
Running A isn't something you can steer a game with, but it can be used for the reasons you mentioned. Buffer that out of an aerial; its quite a surprise for some people. If you launch the attack as they are about to touch the ground after an aerial, you can catch them in the flurry of blows, culminating into the last hit, which has higher knockback. That way, you can get a little bit of breathing time after the move ends. Knocking people off the stage works great too, especially if they shorthop on stage: you can knock them back and follow with a bair to stage spike ;]. Those were two general examples, but basically you never want to approach someone with the running A. Do that, and be a little creative in using the flurry to achieve maximum reward without as much risk.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
What I mean is, if you find yourself in range for a Shoryuken, but you're turned the wrong way. Can you land one anyway without having to wait for regular turn-around frames, thus missing the chance?

I thought I did this once, but I can't get it to happen reliably.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Okay literally sorry if I have to do this, but people have NOT been reading the ToC on the stickies but this really needs a bump. We've been getting too much spam. Hopefully this will reduce the useless spam -_-;

crewster

Smash Lord
That's why we need a mod of our own.
I didn't, I realized it was so out of date. Hylian just doesn't like me, he gave me an infraction for replying to a post.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
That's why we need a mod of our own.
I didn't, I realized it was so out of date. Hylian just doesn't like me, he gave me an infraction for replying to a post.
Huh? I infracted everyone in that topic.

crewster

Smash Lord
Ok, fair enogh. I still think you don't like me, lol.
Also could you update the thread with, like the new matchup discusion.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
I think this needs to be replaced or updated, because it does not have the information that the newbie's make threads about every 7-8 days. It just has other less useful stuff.

S

smash brawl player 99021

Im checking and my service is.... no it does not if I'm right
I'm not positive

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Yeah, but I don't think a green missile would help much, since you wouldn't have time to charge it, but it is possible.

Shamanized

Smash Rookie
I'm sorry if this is frequently asked on this forum, I've been looking for an answer on this board but could not find one.

I was playing around with Luigi and realized sometimes his Side B creates this explosion behind him that blasts him further and faster than a fully charged normal Side-B would. It probably does more knockback/damage as well. I keep trying to do it and am convinced it happens at random. Is this true?

Top Bottom