A Star from the Tropics: The Mike Jones for Smash Thread!

D

Deleted member

Greetings Ladies and Gentlement! Welcome to the thread of Mike Jones, protagonist of Startropics!.

Today we will be talking about the main hero from an old Nintendo property from the NES days, the afromentioned Startropics.

Star.....what?
Well, i guess it's time to talk about it in detail.

Startropics is an NES game released in 1990 in US and Europe (but never released in Japan), developed by Nintendo Integrated Research & Devlopment (Once called Nintendo R&D3, who worked on the Punch Out series) and Locomotive Corporation, and produced, written and directed by Genyo Takeda (who was known as "Technology Fellow" of Nintendo before his retirement in 2017).

-Cover Art of Startropics-

Our protagonist Mike Jones decides to visit his uncle Dr. Steven Jones, who's located in the C-Island of the South Seas. However, Dr. Jones has gone missing (it's later revealed to have been abducted by aliens) and Mike decides to go on a quest to find him, but instead of using traditional weapons like Swords and Shields, he uses a special Yo-Yo to defend himself from monsters. In his adventures, he finds a lot of peculiar monsters, labyrinths, quirky characters and unique weapons. Later, Mike finds Dr. Jones and learns that the aliens had captured him because he had discovered a crashed escape pod from a far-away planet called Argonia, said Pod contained Cubes which are now in hands of the evil Alien Zoda, so Mike decides to infiltrate his Spaceship and defeats him, liberating an alien girl named Mica and a group of children from an almost exctinct race of aliens called the Argonians, who decide to live on C-Island due to their home planet beign destroyed, and it all ends with a Celebration on the Island.

The game is a 2D Action Adventure with a Top-down perspective, basically Zelda, but is grid-based and has its own twists added so that it stands out, most notably it features the ability to jump from platform to platform in some areas, but only in squares. The game is also divided by Chapters, giving a more linear narrative.

-Gameplay by nesguide-

Startropics was a moderate success, getting good sales and positive reception from the critics and gamers alike, thanks to its tropical settting, catchy music, good graphics and gameplay that managed to fun and derivate enough from Zelda to stand out on its own, it became a beloved classic of Nintendo Entertaiment System. It only made sense to make a sequel to this installment, and so they did with Zoda's Revenge:Startropics 2!...............released for the NES in 1994 only for North America.....

-Cover Art for Startropics 2-

This time, Mike is sent back in time after solving and reading aloud a cipher with the help of Mica, and discovers that Zoda is alive, and is collecting a series of objects called the Tetrads, and now he must travel to different time periods (such as the Wild West and the Medieval Times) and retrieve the Tetrads before Zoda gets them all, while he encounters peculiar faces during his journey, such as Cleopatra and Sherlock Holmes.

The gameplay is not so different from the first game, with the main difference beign that instead of taking place on a tropical island, you travel trough different locations in time. You now can move and attack diagonally and jump freely (unlike the first game, in which you could only jump on blocks) and some enemies react differently depending on the weapon that was used to attack them, and the game focuses more on combat and platforming instead of puzzles.

-gameplay by nesguide-

While the game was positively recieved for the most part, it is contested among fans due to the changes made into the game, with some people saying that it ruins the game while others say that it turns it into a worthy if not better sequel.

Regardless, the game fell into obscuirty due to it beign released in 1994, when the NES was basically forgotten by most people, not to mention it was the same year that brought us Donkey Kong Country, Final Fantasy VI, Sonic 3 & Knuckles and the Playstation 1.

However, a lot of franchises can return from hiatus or even the dead, and Startropics could easily be one of them.

So, why would he be included in Smash?

In every installment since Melee, we had a character that comes from the NES era, from Ice Climbers to Pit to Duck Hunt, Mike could be the next old school character that makes it into Smash. The reasons as to why these characters are included tend to vary, but Mike could definetly be a potential to not just be included, but re-imagined like Pit in Brawl, basically bringing an old but beloved Nintendo character back into the action.

-How would Mike Jones look in Smash (art by JoeAdok from Deviantart)-

Mike could be our next Pit, a character re-imagined as if he was a Nintendo character that evolved alongside Mario, Link and Samus, giving him a breath of fresh air.

So.....what are his abilities?
Mike may be just an all-american teen, but he has quite some tricks up his sleeve. In the first game he has:
-A Yoyo that is later upgraded into a "shooting Star" (basically a longer version that looks like a chain whip) and then later into the "Super Nova"
-A baseball Bat
-A flaming Torch that he throws at enemies
-A Bola Twister that he can use against distant enemies
-A Slingshot
-A Miracle Mirror used to reflect projectiles
-a Baseball called the "Wonder Horsehide"
-Spiked Shoes that allow him to attack all enemies on-screen by teleporting and doing a flying heel kick at them
-and a Laser Gun.

-Some of the afromentioned weapons in the instruction manual-

The sequel introduces Throwing Axes that are then upgraded into Daggers and then into Katanas (that you also throw) and also Psychic Shock Waves.

Now i know what you may think, "baseball bats, psyhcic powers, and a YoYo? doesn't someone else already have all that?"
Well yes, Mike just so happens to have some similar equipment to Ness from Earthbound.

However, Smash has showed us that even if you have similar abilites to someone else, it will not matter as long as you can use it in your own way. Mike's Psychic Shock Wave from the second game is way different from any Psychic attacks Ness uses in Earthbound or Smash Bros, and due to his big arsenal, a better comparison for Mike would be Link, since both have a main weapon (YoYo for Mike and the Sword for Link) that is upgraded later into the adventure (Shooting Star for Mike and Master Sword for Link) while getting a lot of secondary weapons along the way (Mike gets a Baseball Bat, a Flaming Torch and Baseballs while Link gets a Boomerang, Bow and Arrows and Bombs)

Mike has enough weapons make a full moveset out of it, the only thing we need is how to implement them. I had this idea where Mike used his YoYo for ground attacks (Jab, Smash Attacks, Tilts) and he used his secondary weapons as Special moves, like the Bola Twister. I feel that would be good way to implement his arsenal in Smash.

So he's got the moves, but what about his chances?
As mentioned earlier, Startropics was never released in Japan. It was developed by Nintendo R&D3, a japanese developer, but it was never released in the land of the rising sun anyway. This unfortunately means that Japanese audience, the main market that Nintendo aims for, doesn't know and doesn't care about Startropics.

After the release of Zoda's revenge, the series has also been dormant for over 20 years, with the only things done with the franchise are the re-releases of the games on the Wii Virtual Console (the VC release of Startropics 2 was the first time Europe got the game) and Startropics 1 beign included in the NES Classic.

Despite this, not all hope is lost. Nintendo has showed us that they are willing to bring franchise back from the dead or at least make mention of them, and while is true that the only mention of Startropics is in the Chronicles in Brawl, some Smash universes get barely any representation before their main character becomes playable in the series. Also, Nintendo and Sakurai are not strangers to give Western Fans some service too, as evidenced by the inclusion of Little Mac in Smash 4, and while Mac does have his games released in Japan, he is not particulary popular there in the slightest.

So maybe, just maybe, Mike Jones will be our "old school" character, and his franchise could be revived to become an alternative for those who want an action adventure game that is not Zelda. Startropics could be much more narrative based since the series always progressed by chapters, contrasting with BotW's more open world nature.

But enough of that, if you want to support Mike for Smash, just post so that we can include you on the support list. Feel free to post any potential moveset that you can come up with if you want to.

-Go Bananas, people!-

Supporter List
-Thread Owner-
Tord the Red Leader

-Supporters-
Oddball.
SSBCandidates
zipzapsparkle
Megadoomer.
Zack4812
GoodGrief741
smashkirby.
Ura.
King9999
Arcadenik.
shinhed-echi.
Erucidator.
NonSpecificGuy
Phoebee
Freduardo
SmashKeks
JamesDNaux
EmceeEspio
Kevandre
Mr.J
SquashiniKun
SEGAGameBoy
smash puffle
Stompman
Organization XIII
Gallowglass
Mc.Rad
Dreamking
Good Guy Giygas
Meandpikachu

-Moveset ideas-
-Pending (submissions are welcome)-

-Signature icons-

-by JamesDNaux-

-by Golden Icarus-​

Last edited by a moderator:

Megadoomer

Switch FC
SW 0351 1523 9047
While the Star Tropics games are harder than I expected (I can't get past the lava boss for the first game, and the controls are a bit slippery for the second), he's still one of the three retro characters that I'd really like to see in Smash, so count me in for supporting him!

Oddball

Smash Journeyman
So, for Mike, do you prefer the T-shirt look form the first game or the jacket from the second?

I'm for the shirt myself.

I'd also like one of his possible color schemes to put him in a Hawaiian shirt.

D

Deleted member

So, for Mike, do you prefer the T-shirt look form the first game or the jacket from the second?

Seeing how Cloud and Bayo have costumes for their original and modern appereances, i don't think it's too crazy to think that Mike could have both costumes.

But if i had to choose one, i would say his look from the first game since most people are more familiar with the first game.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I support Mike! Honestly, it still saddens me how he hasn't even gotten a trophy in Smash. I wonder if that whole Western presence thing is really hurting him like many say...

Ura

Advance Wars is the new Mother 3
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Definitely the jacket from the second game. It gives Mike a much cooler vibe to him aesthetically. Although I would definitely have his t-shirt design as his alt.

Also please put me on the supporter list. I very much support Mr. Jones' inclusion to Smash Bros. He deserves the retro spot in the next Smash Bros game.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Master
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
NNID
punchtropics
I've always supported Mike. And I always will. He's my #1 most wanted character in Smash always.

I've made 2 threads about him in the past, but I didn't feel like making a 3rd. I'm so glad someone else did!

Now, I being with me, my own "render".
It's like 10 years Old, but I think it still holds up. (Based on his ZR look).

Also, did I miss it, or did you not mention that StarTropics was a proud inclusion of the NES Classic Mini? That has to count for something!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I've always supported Mike. And I always will. He's my #1 most wanted character in Smash always.

I've made 2 threads about him in the past, but I didn't feel like making a 3rd. I'm so glad someone else did!

Now, I being with me, my own "render".
It's like 10 years Old, but I think it still holds up. (Based on his ZR look).

Also, did I miss it, or did you not mention that StarTropics was a proud inclusion of the NES Classic Mini? That has to count for something!
You missed it:

After the release of Zoda's revenge, the series has also been dormant for over 20 years, with the only things done with the franchise are the re-releases of the games on the Wii Virtual Console (the VC release of Startropics 2 was the first time Europe got the game) and Startropics 1 beign included in the NES Classic

I suppose i mentioned in a way that it seemed like it wasn't an important thing, but i actually think Startropics 1 on the Classic Edition was quite the achievement and that's why i mentioned it.

Anway, added to the support list.​

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I support Mike Jones for Smash 5. StarTropics was included in the NES Classic Edition... so Nintendo didn’t completely forget about him.

Oddball

Smash Journeyman
What do these alts reference?
The top four are all various sprites and official arts.

The red/orange with the triangle is the color and pattern he wore when dressing up as a girl.

The last three are really just me messing around. I just thought shooting star and palm tree shirts fit the character and I also wanted one of him in a Hawaiian shirt.

Ura

Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The top four are all various sprites and official arts.

The red/orange with the triangle is the color and pattern he wore when dressing up as a girl.

The last three are really just me messing around. I just thought shooting star and palm tree shirts fit the character and I also wanted one of him in a Hawaiian shirt.
Sweet. I like him having a shirt with his series logo as an alt.
I support Mike Jones for Smash 5. StarTropics was included in the NES Classic Edition... so Nintendo didn’t completely forget about him.
I don't think it means much but maybe just maybe Startropics will get revived one day.

With Nintendo saying "non-traditional IP" are on the way in 2018 then maybe there's a chance for Mikey. Just maybe.

*cross all your fingers and toes*

shinhed-echi

Smash Master
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
NNID
punchtropics
I think it would have meant more if ST has been added ti the Famicom Mini. But japanese are very protective of their past, so having that instead of any other game from their childhood would have been sacrilegeous.

I like those outfits! Particularly the red one, not only because he uses that color/pattern when he's disguised as a girl, but also, because that's the color and pattern used for the Island chieves. (They Even have rugs designed that way).

Also, I would have added a yellow shirt one for when he gets the anklet. But these are pretty good. Digging the in-game palette one.

D

Deleted member

You know, i always wondered.

If Startropics got the Kid Icarus treatment (beign included in Smash and then got a new game) how would they bring it back?

Kid Icarus was like a Sister game to Metroid, and yet Uprising was completely distinct from what came before. This makes me believe that there are 2 options:

1.An old school game with modern graphics but with the same gameplay from previous installments, similar to New Super Mario Bros, A Link Between Worlds and DKC Returns.

2.A brand new style of gameplay that takes a more "modern approach". Maybe a third person action adventure similar to 3D's Zelda games pre-BOTW, with more focus on Platforming and Combat instead of just Puzzle Solving.

What option do you think they would take? and option would you prefer?

Anyway, have some sweet Startropics music remix while discussing:

Erucidator

Smash Rookie
NNID
Regent_EX
Zoda's Revenge is one of my favorite games, so of course I'd love to see Mike make it into Smash. I'm surprised he isn't getting a lot of love. I'd like to see him use his many weapons and psychic abilities in his move set, the only thing I worry about is that he has may come off like Ness. Nevertheless, I think the should be able to differentiate the two from each other. You have my support.

Ura

Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
You know, i always wondered.

If Startropics got the Kid Icarus treatment (beign included in Smash and then got a new game) how would they bring it back?

Kid Icarus was like a Sister game to Metroid, and yet Uprising was completely distinct from what came before. This makes me believe that there are 2 options:

1.An old school game with modern graphics but with the same gameplay from previous installments, similar to New Super Mario Bros, A Link Between Worlds and DKC Returns.

2.A brand new style of gameplay that takes a more "modern approach". Maybe a third person action adventure similar to 3D's Zelda games pre-BOTW, with more focus on Platforming and Combat instead of just Puzzle Solving.

What option do you think they would take? and option would you prefer?

Anyway, have some sweet Startropics music remix while discussing:
I would go with Option 2 IMO.

I feel that the Startropics of the early 90's wouldn't translate well in today's age. I think Startropics as a 3D-esque action adventure game is a much better fit for the series. What you described basically was Megaman Legends which I think would work great for Startropics. That and the fact that I happen to love Megaman Legends lol.

shinhed-echi

Smash Master
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
NNID
punchtropics
I would go with Option 2 IMO.

I feel that the Startropics of the early 90's wouldn't translate well in today's age. I think Startropics as a 3D-esque action adventure game is a much better fit for the series. What you described basically was Megaman Legends which I think would work great for Startropics. That and the fact that I happen to love Megaman Legends lol.
Yes!!! I can't believe I'm not the only one who thinks Megaman Legends style would fit a modern-day StarTropics perfectly!

Like the dungeons being mostly where all the adrenaline rush occurs, and you can chill in the overworld.

Not to mention things like upgrading weapons, equipment, etc.

Wow, I can't believe it's taken me this long to get around to this thread. I used to support Mike to the end with shinhed-echi shinhed-echi during Sm4sh Speculation. Put me down as a supporter. It's been too long.
Yeah, boiii! Glad to see you again!
I believe we have a pixel higher chance than before thanks to the NES Classic. But it's still fun to speculate regateros of chances. :)

Ura

Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yes!!! I can't believe I'm not the only one who thinks Megaman Legends style would fit a modern-day StarTropics perfectly!

Like the dungeons being mostly where all the adrenaline rush occurs, and you can chill in the overworld.

Not to mention things like upgrading weapons, equipment, etc.
Just talking about this really makes me want Megaman Legends-esque Startropics.

Maybe one day. Kid Icarus got revived out of the blue as well after a 20 something year hiatus granted KI is a Japanese IP and Startropics is a western one.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
NNID
Takamaru64
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

shinhed-echi

Smash Master
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
NNID
punchtropics
If Mike got in Smash, I would drop every other character in a heartbeat.

I'm glad that at least suggesting him doesn't come across as too weird anymore.

Johnny Atma also featured the Dungeon music in his 5th NES Medley cover.

I guess ST's presence in the NES Classic is starting to pay off?

zack4812

Smash Apprentice
He's still my number 1 choice as a newcomer and is probably the best NES character to make a moveset out of, but does Sakurai even know about the StarTropics franchise?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
NNID
Takamaru64
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
GameXplain would like to see StarTropics revived.

Though their proposal is more that StarTropics should take traditional Zelda's place for the future because of Breath of the Wild being the new standard for Zelda. Would any of you agree with this or would you rather have StarTropics be its own thing?

D

Deleted member

For all of you Mike Supporters out there, here's a Mike for Smash 5* signature icon! made by Golden Icarus.

*yes i know Sakurai said Smash Wii U is Smash 5 but whatever.

Phoebee

Smash Cadet
I'd love to see Mike in smash (and a new startropics game, come on Nintendo)! I feel like he's somewhat likely--his main competition is Takamaru. Balloon Fighter feels like a likely retro as an Iwata tribute and one more retro character doesn't feel unlikely. Mike and Takamaru feel like the most obvious other choices, and I hope they both get in, if that's possible!

King9999

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
NNID
mmking9999
Mike Jones was my #1 pick for Smash 4, and now he's my #1 pick for Smash 5. There's a lot of material to work with between the 2 games.

I hope that StarTropics not being released in Japan wouldn't remove Mike from consideration. He's very much a part of Nintendo history, and it would be a shame if he didn't get any representation.

Last edited:

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
Now usually when it comes to retro characters, I have a select set of characters.
But lately, I've been supportive of most retro characters. And in fact Mike Jones has been in one of my previous wishlists in the past, during the development for Super Smash Bros 4. So without a doubt, I'd be happy to support him once again. Seeing how long he's been gone for, I can't help but to feel sympathy for the guy. He's had it rough for being a western exclusive Nintendo character.

The thing with him is that his game was never released in Japan, only in North America and Europe, and as for the sequel.
Not even Europe got the chance to get that sequel in psysical form, except later on when it was released on the Wii U virutal console. However, while I do believe his chances are pretty low because of fact that Sakurai has bias when it comes to Japanese exclusive characters, I still think his low chances are better than none. And that goes for most of the retro characters.

So I'm supporting this thread, and hopefully good things will come out of it. Let's hope for the best shall we? And before people compare him to Ness, and say that he's just simply a clone of him with the yo-yo's and the bat etc.... You could just argue that Mike Jones came before Ness. But nevertheless, he's not a clone and he's not a wasted "character slot", he's simply unique and special in his own right.