• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A solemn moment for DBR and the Melee Community

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Shine Blined got me and almost every player ever into smash.
That isn't worth 6000 and it isn't worth genesis edging ruin.

nublet06

Smash Lord
cheers to DBR for how they handled the situation. i wish trebor the best of luck in turning his life around and fixing broken bonds.

here is to hoping that years from now at genesis XXXIV when DBR receives their lifetetime achievement awards for being the coolest people in smash all will be well and this can be something they can look back on as a small bump in the road.

glad you guys found the money tho didnt want my donation to go to waste :p

crush

Smash Master
I know. This is simply swell that although zelgadis aka breech terrors did acquire the currency, he was foiled again. It was a brilliant plan and he would've gotten away with it too if it weren't for those meddling members of DBR.

:phone:

Doc_Holiday

Smash Ace
I can't believe you guys are such ****ing ****ies that you called the cops on your own crew member instead of dealing with it yourselves. All respect for DBR is gone from me. I looked up to you guys since I was 12, watching all of your combo videos, being a fan, and now that I've grown up I realized what spineless pieces of **** you are. Good job guys. Cop callers get no respect. I hope you all get beaten.

Varist

Smash Lord
dumb. it wasn't DBR's $6,000, so they didn't have the authority to deal with it themselves. it wasn't their money, it was everyone at the tournament's money. It wasn't a DBR matter, it was a tournament matter, and public function matter, so cops had to resolve it.

there's a difference between five guys taking money from each other and one guy taking money from hundreds of other people he doesn't know and who don't know him. hint: second is a felony.

Tekk

Smash Lord
@Doc_Holiday: I seriously hope you're trolling.
We're talking about 6,000 $ and the future of the whole crew, how dare you judging them for doing what they needed to do ?

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
I can't believe you guys are such ****ing ****ies that you called the cops on your own crew member instead of dealing with it yourselves. All respect for DBR is gone from me. I looked up to you guys since I was 12, watching all of your combo videos, being a fan, and now that I've grown up I realized what spineless pieces of **** you are. Good job guys. Cop callers get no respect. I hope you all get beaten.
dude, you suck at trolling

The Star King

Smash Hero
Riley Freeman?

"NO SNITCHING."

Battlecow

Play to Win
I'm still pissed at plank, just on principle. Think I can forgive Zelgadis though, if only because he didn't get away scot free like some slick ****ers.

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
dumb. it wasn't DBR's $6,000, so they didn't have the authority to deal with it themselves. it wasn't their money, it was everyone at the tournament's money. It wasn't a DBR matter, it was a tournament matter, and public function matter, so cops had to resolve it.

there's a difference between five guys taking money from each other and one guy taking money from hundreds of other people he doesn't know and who don't know him. hint: second is a felony.
The first is a felony, too, wise-guy.

Van.

Smash Ace
You are the fakest person alive

Varist

Smash Lord
The first is a felony, too, wise-guy.
It depends on the net loss of each party before it can escalate from misdemeanor to felony, and a lot of the time idiots taking money from their friends and getting money taken from them don't get to take their case to court.

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
It depends on the net loss of each party before it can escalate from misdemeanor to felony, and a lot of the time idiots taking money from their friends and getting money taken from them don't get to take their case to court.
Don't attempt to play semantics to cover up a bit of faulty logic. You'll just end up looking dumb, haha.

Returning to the Original Topic, I wish you all luck in dealing with this blow. I know it has been some time now, and I hope that the rifts have healed somewhat.

Varist

Smash Lord
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theft#United_States

no one's playing semantics, the law actually categorizes the crime based on how much is stolen. Since this happened in Cali and the threshold is $950, and I know DBR is at least 8+ members, net loss if we assume the money was DBR's would have been less than $950/member, qualifying it as petty theft. Misdemeanor.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
DBR didn't own the money. The money was from an ENDORSEMENT and was to be distributed to the winner(s), unless I'm misinformed.

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theft#United_States

no one's playing semantics, the law actually categorizes the crime based on how much is stolen. Since this happened in Cali and the threshold is $950, and I know DBR is at least 8+ members, net loss if the money was DBR's would have been less than $950/member, qualifying it as petty theft. Misdemeanor.
This, by your own logic, means that the larger theft (from the overall tournament) was not a felony either. After all, it would be roughly 15$ per member; not a felony. Therefore, if the larger is a felony, it includes the other, as the tournament wasn't an entity.

As I said before, if you argue, "you'll end up looking dumb."

Right now, you look dumb.

Varist

Smash Lord
This, by your own logic, means that the larger theft (from the overall tournament) was not a felony either. After all, it would be roughly 15$ per member; not a felony. Therefore, if the larger is a felony, it includes the other, as the tournament wasn't an entity.

As I said before, if you argue, "you'll end up looking dumb."

Right now, you look dumb.
I'm not using my own logic, don't you get it? quit acting like you're arguing with me because you aren't, you're arguing with a law that's already concrete. The people at the tournament were not members of a group pooling their money. They gave their money as individuals. The law would define this technically as one person taking $15 from people in multiple instances, adding up to $6,000. Grand theft.

and quit repeating how dumb you think I look every post, I get it, it's annoying now.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
The money was not owned by multiple entities. IT WAS ONE LUMP SUM OF CASH AND IT WAS NOT PLANNED TO BE DISTRIBUTED AMONG DBR. IT WAS TO BE USED AS PART OF THE PRIZE FOR SINGLES AND DOUBLES OF MELEE AND BRAWL. IT WAS $6000 OF CASH FROM SABER GAMING.
In fact, $1000 was awarded to Armada, and that $1000 came from Saber Gaming. Another 1000 went to M2K in brawl singles. I don't understand how you think you're right, when legally, he committed a felony against two people.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
it was 1 lump sum of cash donated by Saber Gaming, a company "owned" by two people; TheSaberGuy and VTS. $3000 each, felony. the money wasn't technically owned by DBR or even M2K/Armada/Mango/anyone else yet.

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
I'm not using my own logic, don't you get it? quit acting like you're arguing with me because you aren't, you're arguing with a law that's already concrete. The people at the tournament were not members of a group pooling their money. They gave their money as individuals. The law would define this technically as one person taking $15 from people in multiple instances, adding up to $6,000. Grand theft.

and quit repeating how dumb you think I look every post, I get it, it's annoying now.
Sigh. Must this continue? I only said you looked dumb in one post, my last.

Additionally, it is a felony. My original comment simply stated that even if the 6K had been stolen "amongst friends" that it would be considered as such, but you seem to have forgotten what my original comment even was (regarding your latest post of me arguing with a..."concrete law").

Again, my condolences and full support go out to DBR.

Varist

Smash Lord
I've been saying it's a felony the entire time. I got into an argument over a hypothetical situation where it wouldn't have been a felony. smashboards needs to learn to read.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
so you've been arguing a useless fantasy situation, with little to gain from discussing it?

Gallo69

Smash Apprentice
Just removed Shined Blind from my favorites. =(
So sorry this happened to you DBR, you guys are my smash inspiration!

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Just removed Shined Blind from my favorites. =(
So sorry this happened to you DBR, you guys are my smash inspiration!
Not to sound like a **** here bro, but I don't see why you would remove a video that's yearrrrs old because the player did something really ****ty many many years later- the vid's still a historic melee vid- s'got nothing to do with what he did lol

Gallo69

Smash Apprentice
Not to sound like a **** here bro, but I don't see why you would remove a video that's yearrrrs old because the player did something really ****ty many many years later- the vid's still a historic melee vid- s'got nothing to do with what he did lol
Principles bro.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
I've continued posting and being active on the boards since then... and I have been posting on facebook but I assume you don't see that because we aren't friends. If i'm wrong and somehow we are friends, please let me know your real name so I can be sure to remove you. I've also gone to 5 tournaments or so since Pound....so....good post.
Why are people still allowing Plank to go to tournaments? Why isn't he banned from all smash tournaments ever!? I mean he stole over 10,000$ from the community!

sad_day

Smash Journeyman
zelgadis yo! btw gj for zelgadis for tryna steal 6g. u know how much cocaine, weed n alcohol u can get with 6g?? ****ing worth it.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
-Turbo facepalm-

ill give you a 3/10

dont bother next time

Kal

Smash Champion
Damn, there are a few of you who should really consider attending law school and becoming lawyers of some sort.
I don't think a Wikipedia-level understanding of U.S. law qualifies anyone for law school.

goateau

Smash Rookie
I was also inspired to play smash at a higher level by the DBR videos. I will never forget when my friends were like "holy **** you have to see this" and they put on the shined blind video, what a classic. This really takes me back it must have been 5-6 years ago, those were some good memories. My heart really goes out to the members of DBR, it would be hard if something like this happened between myself and the friends that I used to play with, I can totally feel your guys pain.

I didn't know how to private message, but if Trebor is ever interested in getting some help with his drug problem he should go to some NA or AA meetings, there are pleanty of them in the greater bay area. I also had a substance abuse problem and those rooms saved my life. I've never had the pleasure of meeting any of the DBR crew, but as hard as this must be for you guys you shouldn't totally turn your back on your friend. Realize that drugs and alcohol make people do all kinds of crazy, terrible things. You cant imagine the depths that I reached, the things that I said i would never do that eventually became commonplace.

What you need to do for him is exactly what your currently doing "tough love" where you let them know that you want nothing to do with them, and that they have f#$%@d their life up, and in the process also have impacted your life. Encourage him to get help, people can and do change and you might be able to look back on this years from now and say that yeah your friendship never recovered and it was horrible what he did, but you might be able to save his life. Not telling you what to do or how to live your life, but my friends ultimately never turned their back on me and with the grace of god and the support of my friends and family i've been able to livve a somewhat normal life again.

My heart goes out to anybody affected by this, and I wish DBr all the best in their future endevors.

Top Bottom