• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A solemn moment for DBR and the Melee Community

NeutralDamage

Smash Journeyman
Wow........ok........I had to wait hours before I posted regarding this. Allow me to first say that GERM especially knows Trebor/Zelgadis the best, and at one point 70% of DBR lived together (including me) - so we all know Trebor more than anyone posting to these threads.... To think that we haven't tried helping him in the past with regards to anything at all would be ignorant. He doesn't want to change himself and that's ALL there needs be said. You can't carry a man through life when he doesn't want to walk on his own, I'm sorry. We've done our part; therefore, we have every single reason to drop him as a friend and PERHAPS see him down the road and accept an apology years later. Let this not mistake you in that we will be his "friend" again, but I'm sure peaceful/civil interactions will happen sometime in the years to come. Not ANY time soon.

Furthermore - and my main reason for replying to this - Are you kidding? You want to start a thread to donate to a person who stole from all of you in a sense and his closest friends - AND help his addictions?!?! I can't even imagine how you came to that idea/conclusion............just wow.

You guys - he's not strung out on crack, meth or heroin - it's not that bad, which is what makes it even more upsetting. He needed money for debt that he thought we didn't know about; a large large sum.

I just hope that people stick to their support instead of suggesting to us what should be done when we would know best and know him the best; It's an insult to the highest degree and offensive. (i.e. his family has already been contacted - READ previous posts. We've suggested rehab, thx). That would be appreciated very much and taken as a token of respect after what we went though mentally.

Thank you,
Zohreh aka GERMs LaDY

ON A LIGHTER NOTE - 750 Pictures Posted here: http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb381/DBR_Genesis2/DBR Genesis 1 and 2/

Well, I just wanted to help, sorry if it insulted you. I understand your feelings, since that same thing has happened to me too. I hope that some day you and other dbr members will be able to forgive zelgadis though. That day is just not now yet.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
While this will leave a sour aftertaste for especially the people involved, I'm glad it didn't affect the tournament. It's commendable the hosts kept it together the way they did and if they hadn't made this topic, chances are people wouldn't have known. Bringing this in the open seems like the right call though, because we should all be aware of bad apples and the dangers of dealing with big money. I wasn't at Genesis and I don't really know DBR other than through The_Doug and a few combo vids, but this is important for all of us.

Regardless of his reasons, what Zelgadis did was a huge betrayal of his friends and a downright stupid thing to do. It has no bearing on his achievements as a player, but as a person it will be hard to forgive him. I honestly don't care how much of an addict he is or how bad his situation is, he's still responsible for his own actions and went the route of stealing from friends. I mean, we're only getting one side of the story here, but if the basic gist of it wasn't true he'd probably have responded by now.

Not a fan of the back-and-forths going on by the way, let's be better than that for once.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Was Zelgadis even good in the later years of Melee? Only **** I remember him from is Shined Blind, like everyone else (so it seems), which was just a combo video made from friendlies iirc?

People are talking like he was the best in California or something, lol.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
Was Zelgadis even good in the later years of Melee? Only **** I remember him from is Shined Blind, like everyone else (so it seems), which was just a combo video made from friendlies iirc?

People are talking like he was the best in California or something, lol.
No, but he was back in the day, and his combo video was EXTREMELY influential.
thisthisthis

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I agree that his combo video was extremely influential, because it inspired me when I started (Mostly because I played Fox). But, looking back on it now, I don't know why it was so influential. Maybe there's something I don't see that makes it so influential now that the casual players see when they start out? I guess I should take into consideration that the video was made in 2006 and Melee wasn't the same back then.

I also feel like The Star King follows me..

The Star King

Smash Hero
I personally don't know why, but I hear TONS of people saying "I main Fawx cuz of Shined Blind lawl" or "I got into Maylay cuz Shined Blind was perdy" and stuff like that.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Yeah, exactly what I'm saying. I don't know why shined blind influenced me, and so many other people, so much. My guess is that the use of shines is something a casual player isn't familiar with and it makes competitive Melee look like a whole new level when done that way compared to rolling and smash attack spamming (casual play).

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
I agree that his combo video was extremely influential, because it inspired me when I started (Mostly because I played Fox). But, looking back on it now, I don't know why it was so influential. Maybe there's something I don't see that makes it so influential now that the casual players see when they start out? I guess I should take into consideration that the video was made in 2006 and Melee wasn't the same back then.

I also feel like The Star King follows me..
pretty much that. imitating is much easier than creating

The Star King

Smash Hero
Am I the ONLY person who used Fox's shine to attack people before he discovered competitive play? >_>

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
Am I the ONLY person who used Fox's shine to attack people before he discovered competitive play? >_>
probably not, but that's kind of beside the point. crediting creation is prob incorrect, so no gripes there, but crediting its popularization to him is in order. since, numerous people say they started playing fox/melee b/c of that vid, it makes sense to link him to the "creation" of using fox's shine aggressively even if he wasn't the first to do it, which he prob wasn't

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Heh, sounds pretty intense.
Glad to hear that everything's back in order for you guys.

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
but who was the TO who decided to forget about $6000 in their hotel room?

wouldn't you guard that **** with your life and check on it every 2 seconds

Twinkles

Smash Lord
i used to attack people with illusion and firefox into them LOL
2012 metagame rite here =)

Also, DBR is awesome. Genesis 1 vids were what got me into smash, and Genesis 2 sounds like it was hellishly awesome despite this huge personal drama. Major props from a random noob

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
but who was the TO who decided to forget about $6000 in their hotel room?

wouldn't you guard that **** with your life and check on it every 2 seconds
DBR as a group were the ones organizing the tournament.

Bob$ and his GF were in the room, and Zelgadis is/was part of DBR, so they were reasonable in trusting him. The OP says that Zelgadis swiped it when Bobby's GF was in the bathroom... while Bobby was... doing whatever.

NU13E

Smash Rookie
This might be a little random and feel free to not answer this post, but is Clayton's last name Mclennan by any chance?

Condy

Smash Rookie
Damn, I am really sorry to hear about this. I always thought Trebor was awesome, and I will miss the days when he was accepted. Stay strong DBR

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust
Holy ****ing ****.

All I can muster up is I am sincerely sorry guys, and thank you so much for G2 and everything else you all have contributed to the smash community.

C_Ferris32

Smash Journeyman
I really can't believe that something like that would happen to such a tight crew. To the rest of DBR, mad respect for the way you guys handled it, and the fact that you were so kind and selfless as to make sure that the players were not going to go without prize money just speaks volumes.

Again, thank you so much for the experience of a life time, and best of luck with everything you guys do in the future.

erbanez

Smash Apprentice
I didn't get into smash until right after zelgadis and the older dbr were in their prime, but I'm sorry guys. He actually inspired a friend of mine to play fox. It hurts to see how it all ended. Best wishes DBR.

:phone:

Hella

Smash Apprentice
I told the rest of DBR I wouldn't read this thread, let alone say anything.

I had to, though.

I'm not one to be moved or shocked by much. Hearing about this was still no exception. When GERM called to tell me what had happened I remember him saying something along the lines of "Can you ****ing believe that ****?" and me responding with "Yeah, actually, I kinda can". Later on, though, I thought about all the things Trebor had done for me, and everything the two of us had done and been through together and I completely lost it.

I can't remember how long ago it was when I talked to him for the first time about professional smash and how I wanted to become a better player. He invited me over and taught me everything I needed to know. He introduced me to GERM, Bob$, Clod Zero, Mike Nasty, Sam, DieSuperfly, some of the most recognized players of our time. I ended up becoming great friends with all of them, especially Trebor. Not only did he turn me into a much better player than I ever thought I'd be, but his house became my second home.

I started to cry when I thought about all this. Then I began to think about when he and the rest of DBR came to visit me in the Hospital when I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and a critical blood sugar level, or how he spent Christmas with me and my family one year. That's when I lost it.

I don't think anyone has ever seen me cry, but I'm crying more while I write this than I ever have in my life.

Trebor, if you're reading this:

I used to do everything with you, man. Was the money really worth throwing that all away? We were family. Sure, stealing was wrong, but why did you go and lie to me?

You ruined a great thing. That last hug I gave you back at Genesis 2, consider it a goodbye. Thanks for all the good times we shared and I really hope things turn around with you, but its over.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master

I had to, though.

I'm not one to be moved or shocked by much. Hearing about this was still no exception. When GERM called to tell me what had happened I remember him saying something along the lines of "Can you ****ing believe that ****?" and me responding with "Yeah, actually, I kinda can". Later on, though, I thought about all the things Trebor had done for me, and everything the two of us had done and been through together and I completely lost it.

I can't remember how long ago it was when I talked to him for the first time about professional smash and how I wanted to become a better player. He invited me over and taught me everything I needed to know. He introduced me to GERM, Bob$, Clod Zero, Mike Nasty, Sam, DieSuperfly, some of the most recognized players of our time. I ended up becoming great friends with all of them, especially Trebor. Not only did he turn me into a much better player than I ever thought I'd be, but his house became my second home.

I started to cry when I thought about all this. Then I began to think about when he and the rest of DBR came to visit me in the Hospital when I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and a critical blood sugar level, or how he spent Christmas with me and my family one year. That's when I lost it.

I don't think anyone has ever seen me cry, but I'm crying more while I write this than I ever have in my life.

I used to do everything with you, man. Was the money really worth throwing that all away? We were family. Sure, stealing was wrong, but why did you go and lie to me?

You ruined a great thing. That last hug I gave you back at Genesis 2, consider it a goodbye. Thanks for all the good times we shared and I really hope things turn around with you, but its over.
**** man.

I'm not even Zelgadis and this **** is eating me up inside.

:(

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839

I had to, though.

this is too sad for the community. :(

Top Bottom