• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Were you reading what I'm saying? I'm saying they're doing all that stuff that I bolded from your post, but they were added because the seed of the idea was "hey, lets add a black person". Are you saying that that can't happen? Because I will admit, it doesn't happen often, but my point is that it CAN. If they create a minority character that is all the things we both agree they need to be, then what does it matter the initial reason they came up with the idea?
wait...wait hold up, I Think im having a brain fart and read stuff wrong
bensw_profile_image_f45bce34eb002f9a_300x300.png

I need to stop posting before Ive had breakfest

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
its pretty sad that it’s gotten this bad

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Just finished up enrolling for healthcare over the next year. Premiums shot up commensurately so me and the missus had to split it between the two of us on single coverage apiece. Had one of us signed up for person + SO, our rates would have been somewhere in the neighborhood of a 60-70 percent markup. Forget that noise. Bad enough we pay out the nose for the **** to start with, but even more? No thanks. I just took on something like 150k in debt via a mortgage, y'know.

Smooth Criminal

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
About the “adding female fighters” conversation, I agree that they should add a female fighter. However, I don’t think they should add a female fighter JUST to add a female fighter. That’s not what the game is for.

There are, however, female characters that are incredibly iconic or important to gaming, or are breakout stars. Those characters are, but aren’t limited to:

Lara Croft
Jill Valentine
2B
Amaterasu
Chun-Li
Tracer

I don’t think the lack of female fights is necessarily because there is a bias against them, but rather that there are fewer candidates who fit the description. Historically, there are more viable male candidates for 3rd party picks than there are female. Such candidates could be, but are not limited to:

Leon Kennedy
Chris Redfield
Heihachi
Dante
Crash Bandicoot
Phoenix Wright
Ryu Hayabusa
Ezio Auditore

It’s similar to when I was working at Buff State as a grad assistant in the Education deans office. A local news station asked why there weren’t more African American teachers in Buffalo schools, but the reality was that there are far fewer African American students who go for teaching. You can’t take from a pool that doesn’t exist. Luckily, there is a pool to choose from for female characters, it just isn’t as varied or crowded as the male group is.

Make no mistake, I think there are plenty of high quality female fighters, and I think it’d be a shame to not include any going forward. I might prefer Leon to Jill, but I would be ecstatic to see Jill in Smash. I just get the feeling the pool isn’t as large as male characters, which is just the reality of the situation. There are female characters that hold their own with those male characters though, and they could get in on merit alone.

Btw I don’t want 2B because ass. I like her design, and I really want to play Nier Automata lol.

Tl;dr- Female characters should definitely be added not because they’re female, but because they would specifically be great choices.

Last edited:

Lighteni

Smash Journeyman
...Did I just blow $43 on a game I have no idea if it's good or not.
You buying the Switch version? It’s still Dark Souls, so it is a good game, but the sound effects are incredibly compressed to save file space. Might not be a big deal for you, but it made it borderline unplayable to me compared to other versions.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
While the Mai memes are still going fresh, I decided to do my take on a Smashified design for all the good little boys and girls.
DCA73FF8-C933-4F14-B249-D919EB2AC85D.png

My editing skills aren’t the best but I hope it’s an improvement.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Doing ok. Continuing to write a fanfic with a friend. We're on the 15th chapter and it's taken up 130 pages in Microsoft Word at this point.

HBU?
I'm doing fine, not much has been going on in my life really.
Applying for scholarships rn.

Also, I went home for the weekend. The town is excactly how I remembered it.
Haha, good to hear.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Were you reading what I'm saying? I'm saying they're doing all that stuff that I bolded from your post, but they were added because the seed of the idea was "hey, lets add a black person". Are you saying that that can't happen? Because I will admit, it doesn't happen often, but my point is that it CAN. If they create a minority character that is all the things we both agree they need to be, then what does it matter the initial reason they came up with the idea?
This isn't about Smash anymore, but:

When you're drafting a story, every main character needs a reason to be there or you're going to have a character that doesn't contribute to anything and is just there. If you add a character for only representing a certain group, you can have an interesting and three-dimensional character, but they're probably won't be as useful to the plot as the others.

In short, you'll probably end up with a token character.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
While the Mai memes are still going fresh, I decided to do my take on a Smashified design for all the good little boys and girls.
View attachment 245787
My editing skills aren’t the best but I hope it’s an improvement.
As with these designs, that looks 100 times better then her original

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC

When you're drafting a story, every main character needs a reason to be there or you're going to have a character that doesn't contribute to anything and is just there. If you add a character for only representing a certain group, you can have an interesting and three-dimensional character, but they're probably won't be as useful to the plot as the others.

and Unlike Token from South Park, It wont be a good character

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The big difference here is that Three Houses did changed things up a lot, including gameplay.

I can't see Pokemon ever breaking away from its turn-based RPG formula, which limits what you can 'do' with it.

We've had super forms, super moves, and now Pokemon just get big, there's only so much gameplay wise you can really do when you're tied to 4 moves and a turn based RPG system.
They had the idea to give Pokemon more than 4 moves, they should just do that. Such a small mechancial change, but it'd genuienly be really cool to me.

Also bringing back Megas, even if they have to be nerfed. Because Dynamaxing is just diet Megas, and Blastoise, Blaziken ect. don't have giant forms. And my boy Mega Charizard X is too good to just drop for some other version.

Yeah, but 5 fighters as free updates? That's a bit much for a free update. Especially considering that 'short term loss' would take over a year with how long DLC character development takes.
Oh yeah, Making a single Fighting game character can cost like 200,000 bucks or more. I don't think that many characters could be free. 1 character? maybe, but Echo Fighters would still likely be sold on a discount.

osby

Smash Obsessed

The Hunger Games will begin in 10 minutes. Repeat, 10 minutes!
Wait, I'm not hungry yet! jk

Oh yeah, Making a single Fighting game character can cost like 200,000 bucks or more. I don't think that many characters could be free. 1 character? maybe, but Echo Fighters would still likely be sold on a discount.
I think some people got really greedy about free updates in general.

Sure, base-game Ultimate needed some more single-player content, but aside from that, it's super cheap considering the amount of content in it. Sakurai doesn't owe us more content, especially for free.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
The Reaping is over, now the games begin!

As the tributes stand on their podiums, the horn sounds.

SmittyWerbman Jaegerman runs away from the Cornucopia.

ryumo the Zekenator finds a canteen full of water.

Scott the Woz runs away from the Cornucopia.

JDCabrera takes a sickle from inside the cornucopia.

Scarecrow runs away from the Cornucopia.

Diane Chambers runs away with a lighter and some rope.

Sakurai finds a bow, some arrows, and a quiver.

Iridium grabs a sword.

Angry German Kid grabs a sword.

Himeko Katagiri runs away from the Cornucopia.

The Pope finds a bow, some arrows, and a quiver.

Persona Joker and Mouse in Sans Shoe fight for a bag. Persona Joker gives up and retreats.

Smash 4 Ridley takes a sickle from inside the cornucopia.

Mr. Window runs away from the Cornucopia.

Thanos Truck takes a handful of throwing knives.

Kamen Rider Joker gathers as much food as he can.

Gooigi runs away from the Cornucopia.

Gavin Free runs away from the Cornucopia.

Toy Agumon runs away from the Cornucopia.

Guh-Huzzah runs away from the Cornucopia.

Plate of Pasta runs away from the Cornucopia.

Duck Hunt rips a mace out of KMDP's hands.

DC Joker stays at the cornucopia for resources.

Harmnics Messiah runs away from the Cornucopia.

Lesley Black Velvet takes a spear from inside the cornucopia.

Terry Bogard throws a knife into Cat Mario's chest.

osby runs away from the Cornucopia.

Balle Solli takes a handful of throwing knives.

Chiyuki runs into the cornucopia and hides.

Saint Holy Sword Dragon and John Cena fight for a bag. John Cena gives up and retreats.

SSSniperWolf runs away from the Cornucopia.

Thumbs Up Ken runs away from the Cornucopia.

TheMagicofFriendshipGrows&nbsp;runs away from the Cornucopia.

COD Joker runs away from the Cornucopia.

Lelouch vi Britannia runs away from the Cornucopia.

Bloody-Eyes snatches a pair of sais.

Klaus snatches a pair of sais.

Mythra runs away from the Cornucopia.

Star Butterfly runs away from the Cornucopia.

Max runs away from the Cornucopia.

Le Monke runs away from the Cornucopia.

Agitha grabs a shovel.

Tom Servo runs away from the Cornucopia.

Corviknight steps off her podium too soon and blows up.

Cracke

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys.

Need recommendations for a good game that's $30 and below on the Switch.

Fire away.
Lethal Leauge Blaze, it´s a fun party game that is complete mayhem. Basically you play dodgeball and baseball, but it´s a fighting game and you have a heal And there´s an active discord for online, try it out.

D

Deleted member

The question then is: "Why are only the cis/het/white/male characters the important characters?"

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Isn’t a token character just a collection of stereotypes with no character depth?

I still think it’s possible. Especially in games like fighting games and RPGs. Places where you come up with the characters first and then craft a story around them.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Lelouch vi Britannia, SSSniperWolf, osby, and Duck Hunt raid Thanos Truck's camp while he is hunting.

Sakurai, ryumo the Zekenator, Persona Joker, TheMagicofFriendshipGrows&nbsp;, and Gooigi hunt for other tributes.

Klaus explores the arena.

DC Joker, Mythra&nbsp;, Plate of Pasta, and Bloody-Eyes hunt for other tributes.

Harmnics Messiah questions her sanity.

KMDP stalks Mr. Window.

Star Butterfly unknowingly eats toxic berries.

Smash 4 Ridley and Toy Agumon split up to search for resources.

John Cena receives clean water from an unknown sponsor.

Thumbs Up Ken sees smoke rising in the distance, but decides not to investigate.

JDCabrera practices his archery.

SmittyWerbman Jaegerman searches for a water source.

Mouse in Sans Shoe overhears Chiyuki and Scarecrow talking in the distance.

Angry German Kid receives medical supplies from an unknown sponsor.

Kamen Rider Joker constructs a shack.

Max begs for Guh-Huzzah to kill him. He refuses, keeping Max alive.

COD Joker practices his archery.

Gavin Free searches for firewood.

Tom Servo makes a wooden spear.

Diane Chambers sprains her ankle while running away from Agitha.

Saint Holy Sword Dragon begs for Balle Solli to kill him. She refuses, keeping Saint Holy Sword Dragon alive.

Scott the Woz makes a slingshot.

Himeko Katagiri forces The Pope to kill Terry Bogard or Le Monke. He refuses to kill, so Himeko Katagiri kills him instead.

Iridium begs for Lesley Black Velvet to kill him. She refuses, keeping Iridium alive.
Action here is very light... Almost nothing happens.

D

Deleted member

Lelouch vi Britannia, SSSniperWolf, osby, and Duck Hunt raid Thanos Truck's camp while he is hunting.

Sakurai, ryumo the Zekenator, Persona Joker, TheMagicofFriendshipGrows&nbsp;, and Gooigi hunt for other tributes.

DC Joker, Mythra&nbsp;, Plate of Pasta, and Bloody-Eyes hunt for other tributes.

KMDP stalks Mr. Window.

Thumbs Up Ken sees smoke rising in the distance, but decides not to investigate.

Saint Holy Sword Dragon begs for Balle Solli to kill him. She refuses, keeping Saint Holy Sword Dragon alive.

Himeko Katagiri forces The Pope to kill Terry Bogard or Le Monke. He refuses to kill, so Himeko Katagiri kills him instead.

Iridium begs for Lesley Black Velvet to kill him. She refuses, keeping Iridium alive.
A few things I'd like to mention, but are just minor nitpicks:

Harmonics Messiah, if my Vanguard Lore is correct, has no gender.
Balle Soleil is male

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
A few things I'd like to mention, but are just minor nitpicks:

Harmonics Messiah, if my Vanguard Lore is correct, has no gender.
Balle Soleil is male
Not really familiar with the series so I left the genders as is. Also HG sim has no "genderless" option.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Isn’t a token character just a collection of stereotypes with no character depth?
A token character is a character that is the only one of their kind with no reason being there other then being the only thing of their kind
Example, Token from south park whos whol thing is being the only black kid

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

KMDP stalks Mr. Window.

All of my Joker’s still live. Let’s take this competition! These Jokers are WILD!
A token character is a character that is the only one of its kind with no reason being there other then being the only thing of their kind
I see.....

Jeese. Looking at it that way, A lot of my stories end up having token straight white guys.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not really familiar with the series so I left the genders as is. Also HG sim has no "genderless" option.
That's fine, shoulda made that clear from the get go lmao

although I highly recommend watching buddyfight, it's legitimately good. dunno about Vanguard, thou

Last edited by a moderator:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Cat Mario, Corviknight, Star Butterfly, and The Pope

Chiyuki thinks about home.

Iridium, ryumo the Zekenator, and Gavin Free discuss the games and what might happen in the morning.

Persona Joker defeats Sakurai in a fight, but spares his life.

Mythra&nbsp;destroys Saint Holy Sword Dragon's supplies while he is asleep.

SSSniperWolf receives a hatchet from an unknown sponsor.

Terry Bogard tends to his wounds.

Angry German Kid is unable to start a fire and sleeps without warmth.

COD Joker goes to sleep.

Bloody-Eyes shoots an arrow at Mouse in Sans Shoe, but misses and kills JDCabrera instead.

Gooigi passes out from exhaustion.

Diane Chambers convinces Scarecrow to snuggle with her.

Tom Servo starts a fire.

Agitha and Le Monke huddle for warmth.

Thumbs Up Ken and Lelouch vi Britannia run into each other and decide to truce for the night.

Scott the Woz stays awake all night.

Klaus quietly hums.

Max sets up camp for the night.

SmittyWerbman Jaegerman quietly hums.

Smash 4 Ridley and Lesley Black Velvet sleep in shifts.

Balle Solli quietly hums.

DC Joker destroys Thanos Truck's supplies while he is asleep.

Harmnics Messiah tends to her wounds.

Himeko Katagiri defeats Duck Hunt in a fight, but spares his life.

Guh-Huzzah tends to Mr. Window's wounds.

KMDP, Kamen Rider Joker, TheMagicofFriendshipGrows&nbsp;, and osby sleep in shifts.

Toy Agumon receives medical supplies from an unknown sponsor.

John Cena questions his sanity.

Plate of Pasta receives a hatchet from an unknown sponsor.
By the way, if you see &nbsp; at all, that's a glitch and is not part of character's name.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
As for the "what kinds of character should be added" I'm against that type of tokenism since I feel like it's almost condescending in nature, though that might be my perspective as a Black/Hispanic man, I dislike people of any race telling me how I SHOULD feel about this, that and a third. Of course, for many franchises, the main character is usually a human guy, in most games either Japanese or White and a lot of them are cool. And the main character/mascot of a series is almost always the best way of representing that game series. And that's not even getting into animal and robot characters, many of which lead their own games. And of course we all have our own tastes on top of THAT.

So unless we start adding in popular secondary characters(i.e Chun-Li) or we somehow get more and more protagonists that are Black, Hispanic or whatever group you want, and they are immediately seen as cool or iconic enough for big crossovers. But that's hard to tell how/when that'll happen.

I'll take any really cool character, regardless of their sex or race, or what company and what nation made them. But I'm not gonna shill for someone I don't believe in. I know I'm the Mega Man dude here, but make no mistake, I'd would pop-off at Chun-Li, Jill, Lara or Dixie making it in too.

Anyways, another Mega Man would be cool to see, since it's one of my favorite franchises, check out my thread if you want to vote on who you'd like to see.

https://smashboards.com/threads/super-fighting-robots-2nd-mega-man-character-thread.482471/

Wait, I'm not hungry yet! jk

I think some people got really greedy about free updates in general.

Sure, base-game Ultimate needed some more single-player content, but aside from that, it's super cheap considering the amount of content in it. Sakurai doesn't owe us more content, especially for free.
I'm more than happy with the base game myself. The DLC is basically "Going....Even...Further BEYOND!" for me. I just want to see some crazy **** get added that, hopefully are characters I already liked. And I get that developing **** is expensive. I might not be able to buy all the DLC all the time, but I understand they gotta get their bread.

D

Deleted member

Cat Mario, Corviknight, Star Butterfly, and The Pope

Chiyuki thinks about home.

Iridium, ryumo the Zekenator, and Gavin Free discuss the games and what might happen in the morning.

Persona Joker defeats Sakurai in a fight, but spares his life.

Mythra&nbsp;destroys Saint Holy Sword Dragon's supplies while he is asleep.

SSSniperWolf receives a hatchet from an unknown sponsor.

Terry Bogard tends to his wounds.

Angry German Kid is unable to start a fire and sleeps without warmth.

COD Joker goes to sleep.

Bloody-Eyes shoots an arrow at Mouse in Sans Shoe, but misses and kills JDCabrera instead.

Gooigi passes out from exhaustion.

Diane Chambers convinces Scarecrow to snuggle with her.

Tom Servo starts a fire.

Agitha and Le Monke huddle for warmth.

Thumbs Up Ken and Lelouch vi Britannia run into each other and decide to truce for the night.

Scott the Woz stays awake all night.

Klaus quietly hums.

Max sets up camp for the night.

SmittyWerbman Jaegerman quietly hums.

Smash 4 Ridley and Lesley Black Velvet sleep in shifts.

Balle Solli quietly hums.

DC Joker destroys Thanos Truck's supplies while he is asleep.

Harmnics Messiah tends to her wounds.

Himeko Katagiri defeats Duck Hunt in a fight, but spares his life.

Guh-Huzzah tends to Mr. Window's wounds.

KMDP, Kamen Rider Joker, TheMagicofFriendshipGrows&nbsp;, and osby sleep in shifts.

Toy Agumon receives medical supplies from an unknown sponsor.

John Cena questions his sanity.

Plate of Pasta receives a hatchet from an unknown sponsor.
By the way, if you see &nbsp; at all, that's a glitch and is not part of character's name.
Woo hoo, none of mine died!

if one of mine actual win you'll be seeing stars lmao

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom