• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Regarding the whole "characters don't have to be recognizable to make it into Smash, as long as they're fun" statement, I feel like it can be twisted to apply to almost any character.

With a handful of exceptions, people are going to support characters because they want to play as those characters in Smash - of course they would figure that whatever character they support would be fun to play as.

Cracke

Smash Journeyman
I really feel bad for Gamefreak and the stuff they are in right now. They really did bring this on themselves though, it was their decision to make these confusing changes to the game.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Regarding the whole "characters don't have to be recognizable to make it into Smash, as long as they're fun" statement, I feel like it can be twisted to apply to almost any character.

With a handful of exceptions, people are going to support characters because they want to play as those characters in Smash - of course they would figure that whatever character they support would be fun to play as.
At the end of the day, whether a character is fun or not depends on whoever's playing them. Which means, even if you think your character would be fun, it only matters if Sakurai sees them as fun.

D

Deleted member

I really feel bad for Gamefreak and the stuff they are in right now. They really did bring this on themselves though, it was their decision to make these confusing changes to the game.
Game Freak is in a tight position right now. I just hope they part ways with Nintendo, if they could.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I don’t feel bad in the slightest. They have nobody but themselves to blame for putting little effort in making their games. We give EA and Activision flak when they screw up, why can’t we give Gamefreak the same treatment?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

I know what point Sakurai was trying to get across, but he never said being recognizable wasn't important. There's gonna be times when a less unique character gets in before someone better. Main characters will always be priority, regardless of how unique their partners may be, and some characters may get in just because they're extremely iconic to Nintendo.

The point Sakurai was trying to make works better for third-parties. As far as Nintendo characters go, a majority are either frequently promoted or one of the main faces of their franchise.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Most definitely. Banjo Kazooie mains are living a dream, while Terry mains are people who are quite deep into the FGC or SNK supporters.

I for one want females as part of representation. That is why I'm preaching my "FP5 must be female". Because I want a new female character I can play as, and one I can relate with.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

"Here's why x is more fun than y" is a scary prospect going forward in speculation

D

Deleted member

"Here's why x is more fun than y" is a scary prospect going forward in speculation
Definitely. Even coming from people who support swordie type characters. They'll brag about why their swordsmanship is more interesting than the others'

D

Deleted member

Great idea. Then maybe Nintendo could out source the property to a dev studio that actually gives a crap about makig a quality game.
I posted this on Reddit and everyone recommended that Nintendo should take the helm while Game Freak should act as consultants instead.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
My most wanted has nothing to do with gender or diversity, or filling that type of quota, but everything to do with the games I enjoy playing, and seeing them with the likes of Mario, Link, Sonic, ect.
Wanting a character for their diversity and wanting a character cuz you like their game are both examples of resonating with the characters in question

Not sure why one is considered completely acceptable and the other isn't.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Most definitely. Banjo Kazooie mains are living a dream, while Terry mains are people who are quite deep into the FGC or SNK supporters.

I for one want females as part of representation. That is why I'm preaching my "FP5 must be female". Because I want a new female character I can play as, and one I can relate with.
Not saying I disagree with you, but relating with a character is an odd criteria to have to like the character, no?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I posted this on Reddit and everyone recommended that Nintendo should take the helm while Game Freak should act as consultants instead.
That's not going to change how TPC pushes frankly ridiculous deadlines.

Also, what makes people think Nintendo can make good RPGs? Do they even have a successful RPG series that isn't made by a second party studio?

D

Deleted member

Wanting a character to fill a quota, and wanting a character cuz you like their game are both examples of resonating with the character in question

Well, wanting a character in because you like there games is one thing. It shows that you enjoy how they play, among other things(or just want the internet to explode, cough Buddyfight cough)

Wanting a character in just for their gender feels like you only want to "fill a quota" but don't actually care about the quality of em.

That's how I see it, anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Replacing Game Freak might be a good idea.

Heavy emphasis on the word "might". Keep in mind that these guys have been doing this for over 20 years. Teaching a brand new studio how to make a proper Pokemon game will require a lot of trial and error. Plus, there's no guarantee the resulting game would be better.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Wanting a character to fill a quota, and wanting a character cuz you like their game are both examples of resonating with the character in question

Quota, quota, quota. Is there anything else that isn't this quality that drops a female character's inclusion?
Well, wanting a character in because you like there games is one thing. It shows that you enjoy how they play, among other things(or just want the internet to explode, cough Buddyfight cough)

Wanting a character in just for their gender feels like you only want to "fill a quota" but don't actually care about the quality of em.

That's how I see it, anyway.
If I ever support female characters, I'd lesrn more about them. That is how I pick the females I support, if they're interesting to play as well.

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
I don’t feel bad in the slightest. They have nobody but themselves to blame for putting little effort in making their games. We give EA and Activision flak when they screw up, why can’t we give Gamefreak the same treatment?
....Ok no. You're basically suggesting all the online harassment and irritating spamming on Twitter was completely justified? Even with that one time someone impersonated as a Game Freak employee to claim fake allegations just to get him fired?

Sorry, but that's just sick.

Last edited:

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace
I ageee. I just hope the best for them.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Wanting a character in just for there gender feels like you only want to "fill a quota" but don't actually care about the quality of em.
you're missing the point

when you want a character cuz you liked their game, that means you've got a connection with them in some way

And when people want a character for their diversity, it's usually because they identify with them, whether it be their race, gender, orienation, etc. Once again, they technically still got a connection with the character in question
Quota, quota, quota. Is there anything else that isn't this quality that drops a female character's inclusion?
Wrong wording on my part, my apologies

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

That's fair. If the fifth fighters pass character was a woman, I'm not sure who to expect - I'm not sure if there would be a second Square-Enix character in the fighters pass, which would rule out 2B or Lara Croft.

There's Edelgard - I know that people have soured on Fire Emblem characters, but I feel like the roster's expanded enough to make up for it - but if Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was too late to make it into the Fighters Pass, then Three Houses is definitely too late. (I could see her being post-Fighters Pass DLC, though) I'd like to see Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X, but that game seems to have died with the Wii U.

Maybe KOS-MOS or Jill Valentine? Not familiar with Xenosaga, and I haven't played much of the classic Resident Evil games (the controls and camera killed it for me), but they seem fairly prominent, and KOS-MOS got a cameo in a first party Nintendo game. Amaterasu from Okami might be an option, even if she's not visibly a woman.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

you're missing the point

when you want a character cuz you liked their game, that means you've got a connection with them

And when people want a character for their diversity, it's usually because they identify with them, whether it be their race, gender, orienation, etc. Once again, they technically still got a connection with them

Wrong wording on my part, my apologies
To quote a seminar I took on female portrayal in media:

20191008_154958.jpg

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
I go to a charter school, we primarly use computers for assignments and such.
Pfft. I went to a charter school for ten years and their technology was the worst. I don't even remember using computers for anything more than like once or twice.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
If I ever support female characters, I'd lesrn more about them. That is how I pick the females I support, if they're interesting to play as well.
well then you are doing a good job. There some people that just want a black character in a gane just so they can say -blank- has a black character but noelt because the character is good. Its good to at least learn about that the girl can do. Though it would suck if said gurl sucked butt in smash pff

D

Deleted member

That's fair. If the fifth fighters pass character was a woman, I'm not sure who to expect - I'm not sure if there would be a second Square-Enix character in the fighters pass, which would rule out 2B or Lara Croft.

There's Edelgard - I know that people have soured on Fire Emblem characters, but I feel like the roster's expanded enough to make up for it - but if Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was too late to make it into the Fighters Pass, then Three Houses is definitely too late. (I could see her being post-Fighters Pass DLC, though) I'd like to see Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X, but that game seems to have died with the Wii U.

Maybe KOS-MOS or Jill Valentine? Not familiar with Xenosaga, and I haven't played much of the classic Resident Evil games (the controls and camera killed it for me), but they seem fairly prominent, and KOS-MOS got a cameo in a first party Nintendo game. Amaterasu from Okami might be an option, even if she's not visibly a woman.
Xenoblade was too late to make the first fighter's pass. I feel like they didn't decide on whether to do a second pass or not until they saw the reception for Plant & Joker. Because it was mostly positive (along with fairly positive buzz for Hero when rumors of him were circulating) they then made the decision to go ahead and make plans for a "2nd wave".

I think it's very possible we see Xenoblade in for wave 2. With all the surprise surrounding Waluigi (and I say this as someone who couldn't care less if he got in) I could see Waluigi being the 'Piranha Plant' for wave 2. That is; being free dlc to encourage people to by the second fighter's pass.

EDIT: Personally, I'd like to see the second wave return to more 1st party Nintendo characters (there are plenty left), but at this point, it's looking like Sakurai intends to put together a game that would put the Avengers: Endgame climactic battle lineup to shame.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
well then you are doing a good job. There some people that just want a black character in a gane just so they can say -blank- has a black character but noelt because the character is good. Its good to at least learn about that the girl can do. Though it would suck if said gurl sucked butt in smash pff
I don’t know. From a creative standpoint it’s possible to start from a place of “I want this minority in my game” and then develop it into a good deep and interesting character. It all depends on if the devs wanna put in the effort.

It works a tad different for Smash since Sakurai is basically dependent on the rest of the industry creating these characters for him though.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
....Ok no. You're basically suggesting all the online harassment and irritating spamming on Twitter was completely justified? Even with that one time someone impersonated as a Game Freak employee to claim fake allegations just to get him fired?

Sorry, but that's just sick.
I never once said that online harassment is ok. I reeeaaallly don’t appreciate words being put in my mouth.

But still, regarding what you said, you are dissmissing a majority of consumer backlash as “online harassment”? Do you understand how potentially dangerous that mentality is?

They are not giving it to us for free. We are paying consumers for their product, and we have every right to let a company know if we are dissatisfied with their product, and sometimes, they might listen.

Imagine if no one spoke up about the lootboxes in Battlefront II. We have every right to be disappointed/disatisfied with a product that we are paying for.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I never once said that online harassment is ok. I reeeaaallly don’t appreciate words being put in my mouth.

But still, regarding what you said, you are dissmissing a majority of consumer backlash as “online harassment”? Do you understand how potentially dangerous that mentality is?

They are not giving it to us for free. We are paying consumers for their product, and we have every right to let a company know if we are dissatisfied with their product, and sometimes, they might listen.

Imagine if no one spoke up about the lootboxes in Battlefront II. We have every right to be disappointed/disatisfied with a product that we are paying for.
Maybe we should just put the rest of the cut Pokemon in lootboxes for SwSh.

D

Deleted member

I mean, there are many ways for my most wanteds to work. KOS-MOS has a crapton of weapons to choose from. Morrigan can let Darkness Illusion be normal move like how they made Terry's supers normal competitive moves.

I don’t know. From a creative standpoint it’s possible to start from a place of “I want this minority in my game” and then develop it into a good deep and interesting character. It all depends on if the devs wanna put in the effort.

It works a tad different for Smash since Sakurai is basically dependent on the rest of the industry creating these characters for him though.
But he wouldn't leave said minority out...

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Maybe we should just put the rest of the cut Pokemon in lootboxes for SwSh.
You say this ironically, but at this point, I wouldn’t even put it past them to do that.

And people here would still be defending them, just because its Pokemon, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom