• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy if you like Tim Follin's stuff, I would recommend looking up Spider-Man, Gambit and Storm's themes in Spider-Man and X-Men in Arcade's Revenge. Also, pretty much the entire OST for Plok!, really good stuff.

Did anyone notice that DLC fighters are getting increasingly heavier since Joker?

:ultjoker:: 93
:ulthero:: 101
:ultbanjokazooie:: 106
:ult_terry:: 108

I'm surprised no one came up with a 'Weight Theory' yet (especially since it would support Doomguy)
You just gave people the idea. And if Doomguy's in, it'll be confirmed to be real.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I get home from work only to learn that I've been killed in some simulation game thing that SneakyLink SneakyLink is running.

Guess I'll just leave the thread, sob emoji

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
This wouldn’t shock me.

although to be fair both sides have some flawed ways of handling things lately.

little town hero just felt kind of uninspired and a bit meh. The music and artstyle is good but they barely gave people a reason to buy it.

National dex is obviously the biggest factor here. Which I’m going to be honest is also mostly on them. They are a big name studio with a huge backing from Nintendo it shouldn’t have been that hard and they should have held the game off then, or at least deal with this better. Masuda really didn’t help the situation either.

Granted some people have really taken that **** way too far and should be ashamed of themselves.

Outside of that the only other complaint people had was about the graphics which are fine and were retooled nicely. So this was a stupid think to complain about tbh. Although this died down a lot when dexit took over.

If they did some more reveals without going overboard then they would be able to at least sell the game to the audience a little better imo.

obviously the biggest problem here was the national dex controversy.

If this rumor is true then Nintendo should honestly shake the place up a bit. Let people who have been there away go work on some other Nintendo game and bring in fresh faces who grew up with the series and had a vision for its future and optimism. Even someone like Masuda should honestly be giving a break at least as a spokesperson or director. He’s good with music let him stay there and take a back seat so it’s not too hard oh him. I’m sure there plenty of options to really shape the company up and paint a brighter future.

This went longer then expected but just wanted to share my thoughts
This situation reminds me of Federation Force at this point. There are legitimate grievances to have with the handling of the game, and there's no denying that if things went differently the games wouldn't have gotten (most of) the criticisms they did, but as you say it doesn't excuse the fanbase for their extreme actions themselves. No matter how you feel about the situation you shouldn't be doing things like going to the developer's twitter and spamming their non-related posts, nor attacking their character themselves. They're not just a faceless company, there are a group of people who do probably genuinely want to make a game everyone enjoys, and no one wants to feel like they're trash while working on something they want to do. It does affect people, Next Level Games apparently had employees take mental health days over the hatred with that game, so the fanbase should be feeding into that negative environment and making them feel like failures. There are good ways to convey your issues and critiques, and these past few months were not the way to do it.

Shroob

Sup?
This situation reminds me of Federation Force at this point. There are legitimate grievances to have with the handling of the game, and there's no denying that if things went differently the games wouldn't have gotten (most of) the criticisms they did, but as you say it doesn't excuse the fanbase for their extreme actions themselves. No matter how you feel about the situation you shouldn't be doing things like going to the developer's twitter and spamming their non-related posts, nor attacking their character themselves. They're not just a faceless company, there are a group of people who do probably genuinely want to make a game everyone enjoys, and no one wants to feel like they're trash while working on something they want to do. It does affect people, Next Level Games apparently had employees take mental health days over the hatred with that game, so the fanbase should be feeding into that negative environment and making them feel like failures. There are good ways to convey your issues and critiques, and these past few months were not the way to do it.
To a degree I agree.

The employees don't deserve this.

But Masuda didn't handle the situation well at all

And, to be blunt, I don't even 100% disagree with them being more vocal, though, their anger is directed in the wrong area. They're Davids and TPC is Goliath, and their words and money are the only stone they have at their disposal.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
To a degree I agree.

The employees don't deserve this.

But Masuda didn't handle the situation well at all

And, to be blunt, I don't even 100% disagree with them being more vocal, though, their anger is directed in the wrong area. They're Davids and TPC is Goliath, and their words and money are the only stone they have at their disposal.
Just because Masuda didn't handle it well doesn't mean he deserved everything that came his way. You've seen what some people have said and done.

He might be a bit out of touch with the fans, and he may not have the greatest PR talk, but he's still human and should still be given the same respect as one. I can't say I'm confident I would have been able to handle the situation much better then him.

Shroob

Sup?
Just because Masuda didn't handle it well doesn't mean he deserved everything that came his way. You've seen what some people have said and done.

He might be a bit out of touch with the fans, and he may not have the greatest PR talk, but he's still human and should still be given the same respect as one. I can't say I'm confident I would have been able to handle the situation much better then him.
He didn't handle it well, he handled it like a bomb that had five seconds to detonate and handed it off to the nearest Grandma he could.

"Oh we're cutting Pokemon" He says. Not in a formal video addressing the fans, but in an E3 press conference that MAYBE 10-20k people watched, and mind you, the Japanese were PISSED about that.

"Ya know, Dexit doesn't seem that bad, maybe I will get i---"

And then just went things are dying down, he makes the video which amounts to "We hear you... and that is all."

No, he didn't handle it well at ALL.

Does he deserve death threats and random Twitter ****? No, no one does.

Should they fire him?

IMO yes.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'll be the optimistic one and say that a lot of the criticism toward SwSh will fade away for a short time once it releases next week. I fully expect people to go back to spamming Dex posts on Twitter two months later, but maybe playing the game and seeing first-hand what it's like will cause people to soften their tone.

Really does suck though for the development team though. You can see a few areas in the game where they clearly tried to do something that they thought would excite fans. Hardly any of it has been recognized though, and that's because a majority of the fans haven't looked past the Dex. Not revealing much of anything in the time leading up to the game is partly to blame as well, but even then, they stated that they did this after the criticism of SuMo.

He didn't handle it well, he handled it like a bomb that had five seconds to detonate and handed it off to the nearest Grandma he could.

"Oh we're cutting Pokemon" He says. Not in a formal video addressing the fans, but in an E3 press conference that MAYBE 10-20k people watched, and mind you, the Japanese were PISSED about that.

"Ya know, Dexit doesn't seem that bad, maybe I will get i---"

And then just went things are dying down, he makes the video which amounts to "We hear you... and that is all."

No, he didn't handle it well at ALL.

Does he deserve death threats and random Twitter ****? No, no one does.

Should they fire him?

IMO yes.
I mean, he still announced it at E3 in a livestream discussing SwSh. Can't say I blame him for not wanting to announce that during the meatier presentations where you show off the best your game has to offer, not something that would clearly be met with criticism.

Regardless of when and how he addressed the issue though, fans would've been just as hostile as they are now, and I don't believe anyone who says otherwise. Yeah, Masuda could've handled it better, but to say he should be fired? That just feels like another popular opinion fueled by bitterness and years and years of unrelated complaints toward Pokemon games.

Shroob

Sup?
I'll be the optimistic one and say that a lot of the criticism toward SwSh will fade away for a short time once it releases next week. I fully expect people to go back to spamming Dex posts on Twitter two months later, but maybe playing the game and seeing first-hand what it's like will cause people to soften their tone.

Really does suck though for the development team though. You can see a few areas in the game where they clearly tried to do something that they thought would excite fans. Hardly any of it has been recognized though, and that's because a majority of the fans haven't looked past the Dex. Not revealing much of anything in the time leading up to the game is partly to blame as well, but even then, they stated that they did this after the criticism of SuMo.

I mean, he still announced it at E3 in a livestream discussing SwSh. Can't say I blame him for not wanting to announce that during the meatier presentations where you show off the best your game has to offer, not something that would clearly be met with criticism.

Regardless of when and how he addressed the issue though, fans would've been just as hostile as they are now, and I don't believe anyone who says otherwise. Yeah, Masuda could've handled it better, but to say he should be fired? That just feels like another popular opinion fueled by bitterness and years and years of unrelated complaints toward Pokemon games.
They would have been hostile, but you know what fans love?

Developers to be transparent.

Like, as I already said, the Japanese were PISSED that Masuda didn't address the culling via Famitsu or something until much later than the E3 presentation, since, surprise, not a lot of them are watching E3 as intently as we are due to timezones.

I assure you from watching other developers making tough decisions that if he had simply put out an "Addressing some changes" video instead of passively mentioning it in a gameplay video that yes, people would still be mad, but NOWHERE NEAR as angry as they are, ESPECIALLY NOW.

Like, give people a roadmap, tell them how you're going to monetize Home and maybe some plans for the future.

As is? Yikes.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Now we're arguing if someone deserves to be fired because of they're bad PR?

Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. But from my understanding PR isn't even his main responsibility at GF - he's listed as a producer and composer on Wikipedia.

...Ugh whatever. What's important here is that crap like this doesn't happen again, at least not to this degree. Maybe he just needs to learn to keep his mouth shut and hand PR off to someone else in the future.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Overall I definitely agree, fanbases have a penchant to get unnecessarily vitriolic, but I have to imagine that Fed Force was the worse of the two. At least there are a decent amount of people hyped about Gen 8, and the games will still likely perform very well. And, you know, not to excuse the leakers, but Pokemon games do have a habit of leaking. Fed Force, from start to finish, was overwhelming negative (like not even controversially negative, that's how one-sided it was), and from what I can tell, just outright bombed.

Granted, it was tone-deaf and flawed, much as Sw/Sh is in many ways flawed, but that thing never even really had a chance. It's unfortunate too, because had it occurred in between main-line Metroids, people wouldn't really have cared, where as Sw/Sh is a main line Pokemon title, there are some issues that are just inescapable with it.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
In the age we live in, where we can consistently update video games with new features for free and paid over the internet, there really is no excuse to why they can't add Pokemon that were cut later down the road. The only reason I can think of them not doing that is if they want to sell a better version of the same game next year and, honestly, that seems VERY probable.

Shroob

Sup?
In the age we live in, where we can consistently update video games with new features for free and paid over the internet, there really is no excuse to why they can't add Pokemon that were cut later down the road. The only reason I can think of them not doing that is if they want to sell a better version of the same game next year and, honestly, that seems VERY probable.
I mean, tbh that's been happening as of late.

>XY comes out, introduces Megas

>ORAS comes out

>New Megas are NOT backwards compatible with XY

>Sun Moon comes out, introduces new Pokemon, understandable

>USUM comes out, introduces new Pokemon IN THE SAME GEN

>Not backwards compatible with SM

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
Pokemon is no stranger to scumbaggery.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Idk about this whole Pokemon backlash thing; it's completely exhausting at this stage and it's come to the point where I'd just like the game to release so people can determine for themselves whether they actually like it or not

Do I think dexit, a recurring tendency to abandon old features and substandard visuals are bad things? Yeah, of course, but I think the debate around the whole thing has gotten so vituperative and must be so disheartening for Game Freak's employees because a lot of the (justified) anger is construed in the wrong way or aimed at the wrong targets - it can't be much fun being working on the game and being told you're lazy and incompetent when most of the blame can be squarely aimed at questionable decisions from the higher ups

The core issue is that these games aren't been given a long enough development time or adequate resources. Delays were never an option given that SwSh is part of a much wider franchise that works to a fixed schedule, but I just wish they'd stop with the whole yearly release thing.

At this point, the best way to fix things would be to patch in the missing Pokemon though I doubt that's happening - I really wish they'd drop the whole third version/sequel thing and just focus on making the games the best they can be. I'd also like potential Gen 4 remakes to wait their turn, cos I'm not sure why people are begging for them when they could easily face the same issues (not to mention if they're going to fix SwSh, they'd need more time between games)

Game Freak is not completely blame free for this but I don't know (and none of us know) who had the authority to make certain calls - to bring in all the additional Pokemon, they should have hired more stuff or outsourced some of the work, but we don't know if Game Freak asked for that or if they did but were rebuffed

tl;dr it sucks to see this happen to one of my favourite series, that it's not getting the same kind of polish and care that other series are, especially as, given the sheer money Pokemon rakes in, this should easily be possible

PS Morale must also be low because of the reaction to Little Town Hero, but apparently that game actually was **** so

MainJPW

M.T.A
Want to get a female newcomer for Smash? Sign this petition! Let your voices be heard!

http://chng.it/LWFtjZjMp5
There's too much bull****tery when it comes to these kinds of video game petitions. I'd heed Sakurai's words on this.

If that fun character happens to be female then that's a plus. Don't get me wrong I want Dixie Kong, Elma and Arle Nadja, but it will happen when it happens.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There's too much bull****tery when it comes to these kinds of video game petitions. I'd heed Sakurai's words on this.

If that fun character happens to be female then that's a plus. Don't get me wrong I want Dixie Kong, Elma and Arle Nadja, but it will happen when it happens.
Even so, my stance is still the same, and it's not just for you, but for everyone else who also wants a female character. Don't like, don't sign. that's your decision, not mine.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It's such a shame they only did sequals once with B2W2 and never again. Sure they were very clearly built off the same skeleton as the first games but at least they felt almost like different games thanks to having completely new stories.

They were also the best selling third editions until recently even despite BW performing less impressively compared to some other titles, so it's not like there's no incentive for them to. Although USUM somehow eventually did catch up to them...

Anyway on a different note, I am kind of getting a "FE: Fates" vibe from Sw/Sh. Fates was an incredibly controversal game even before release, and it came at a time when a lot of fans were already feeling fairly frustrated with the franchises direction. Then the game released and while it managed to improve on a lot of things that fans were upset with before it was ultimately one step forward and two steps backwards in a lot of their eyes. Yet the game did incredibly well afterwards.

I remember a lot of doom and gloom in the FE fandom who figured that IS would never address their complaints as long as their current methods kept earning them money, but then Three Houses came along and we saw how that turned out. In the modern age where developers are becoming more and more aware of the voices within their fandoms, I really think we can see something similar happen to Pokemon at some point in the future. GF is a little slow to pick up on these things sometimes but they're finally letting us bypass the pokemon catching tutorial for the first time in ever so I think they're starting to get the idea. I genuinely believe its possible for GF and TPC to learn from this.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
It's such a shame they only did sequals once with B2W2 and never again. Sure they were very clearly built off the same skeleton as the first games but at least they felt almost like different games thanks to having completely new stories.

They were also the best selling third editions until recently even despite BW performing less impressively compared to some other titles, so it's not like there's no incentive for them to. Although USUM somehow eventually did catch up to them...

Anyway on a different note, I am kind of getting a "FE: Fates" vibe from Sw/Sh. Fates was an incredibly controversal game even before release, and it came at a time when a lot of fans were already feeling fairly frustrated with the franchises direction. Then the game released and while it managed to improve on a lot of things that fans were upset with before it was ultimately one step forward and two steps backwards in a lot of their eyes. Yet the game did incredibly well afterwards.

I remember a lot of doom and gloom in the FE fandom who figured that IS would never address their complaints as long as their current methods kept earning them money, but then Three Houses came along and we saw how that turned out. In the modern age where developers are becoming more and more aware of the voices within their fandoms, I really think we can see something similar happen to Pokemon at some point in the future. GF is a little slow to pick up on these things sometimes but they're finally letting us bypass the pokemon catching tutorial for the first time in ever so I think they're starting to get the idea. I genuinely believe its possible for GF and TPC to learn from this.
The big difference here is that Three Houses did changed things up a lot, including gameplay.

I can't see Pokemon ever breaking away from its turn-based RPG formula, which limits what you can 'do' with it.

We've had super forms, super moves, and now Pokemon just get big, there's only so much gameplay wise you can really do when you're tied to 4 moves and a turn based RPG system.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
B/W probably got sequels because they were so storydriven, that was always a big selling point for those games, so it felt like a very natural progression for that generation, especially given the very strong foundation it had to build further upon. X/Y and S/M didn't really have that to the same extent, the former had some loose ends and the latter had a pretty strong cast of characters, but neither really had all the ingredients for a sequel in the same way B/W had (strong premise and theme, great cast of characters, loose ends, half the region left untouched in the main story), at least in my opinion.

D

Deleted member

I don’t feel like that. I feel like this.
Regardless of how you feel about MatPat and his content, can we at least agree that his theme song kicks absolute ass?
Well, let's just say I hate Matpat because he's a ****ing liar and narcissistic. He has an entire page just filled with stuff he's gotten wrong(and don't even get me started on Sans is Ness)

I just looked up that page, and it got cut for some reason. Just great lmao.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I like MatPat. He’s passionate about what he does, and he has a good time doing it. Maybe his theories aren’t always right, but that’s totally ok!

Also, after he stole my fanart, his team was quick about fixing it, so +1 respect for me.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I like MatPat. He’s passionate about what he does, and he has a good time doing it. Maybe his theories aren’t always right, but that’s totally ok!

Also, after he stole my fanart, his team was quick about fixing it, so +1 respect for me.
I mean, considering his track record(at my count, literally 50-60% of his theories are wrong) I don't like him.

In my opinion, if you want to be a theorist, you need to at the very least, get stuff right. Not saying you have to be perfect, but when an enormous amount of your theories are false because you conveniently forgot about 1 detail(or just ignores it completely, see Sans is Ness) you really shouldn't being making theories, IMO.

I'm pretty sure that's a hot take thou, so make of that what you will.
(I do admit that's a bit gatekeepy, thou)

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I think there's a few others that could do the same. Though unfortunately Shovel Knight's also an Assist Trophy but he easily has the stages, music and other spirits to use and make for a solid DLC choice. But I do agree Rayman and Shantae in particular have a lot to offer with their wide array of games. Shantae could even be representing Wayforward as a whole like how Terry practically does for SNK.

Obviously, you guys know I can see the potential in another Mega Man protagonist doing the same. Mega Man .EXE for example could have a Cyberspace stage, 10 or so tracks from his particular series and spirits based on the other Net Navis. And there's plenty of other official artwork to use for his Fighter Spirit. The same applies to Mega Man X or Volnutt and so on, being from different eras and timelines and so on.

I guess Paper Mario as well. There's even a ton of other locations to go with.
I maintain that Waluigi, Krystal, Isaac, Spring Man, and Shovel Knight need the upgrade to full fighter and that Geno, Bandana Dee, Chorus Kids, Shantae, and Rayman should be freed from the spirit vault. I even made it into a DLC plan which I will share here.
Challenger Pack 5: Kazuya Mishima - Mishima Building - Tekken Songs and Spirits

Assist Trophy Upgrade Pack (Free Update)
  • Waluigi
  • Krystal
  • Isaac - Venus Lighthouse - Additional Golden Sun Music and Spirits
  • Spring Man - ARMS Grand Prix - Arms Music and Additional Spirits
  • Shovel Knight - Plains of Passage - Shovel Knight Music and Additional Spirits
  • Replacement Assist Trophies: Mallow, General Scales. Saturos and Menardi, Twintelle, and Sheild Knight.
Bonus Character Pack: Geno - Forrest Maze - 4 Super Mario RPG Songs and 7 Spirits

Fighter Pass 2
  • Challenger Pack 6: Leon S. Kennedy (Chris Redfield alt) - Jill Valentine Echo Fighter (Claire Redfield alt) - Spencer Mansion - Resident Evil Spirits and Music
  • Challenger Pack 7: Crash Bandicoot - N. Sanity Beach - Crash Music and Spirits
  • Challenger Pack 8: Ryu Hayabusa - Sky City Tokyo - Ninja Gaiden Music and Spirits
  • Challenger Pack 9: Professor Layton - Curious Village - Professor Layton Music and Spirits
  • Challenger Pack 10: Tracer - King's Row - Overwatch Music and Spirits (I used to give this slot to Travis Touchdown but he kind of needs to curse and do lewd gestures to be reflected acuratley. Not like Doom, MK, or GoW where you can use all their normal attacks with the blood effect turned off and still be fine)
Bonus Character 2: Bandanna Dee

Fighter Pass 3
  • Challenger Pack 11: Chorus Kids or Karate Joe - Rhythm Heaven - Additional Rhythm Heaven Spirits and Music
  • Challenger Pack 12: Officer Howard - Astral Plain - Astral Chain Spirits and Music
  • Challenger Pack 13: Shantae - Scuttle Town - Shantae Music and Additional Spirits
  • Challenger Pack 14: Rayman - Band Land - Rayman Music and Additional Spirits
  • Challenger Pack 15: DoomSlayer - Phobos Base - Doom Music and Spirits
Really, these characters could go in any order. If anyone else wants to contribute to the Spirits and Music List from any given series, please let me know. I'm also gonna put together a few Mii Costume Lineups.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I guess people are allowed to dream but...
Okay. My reasoning on that was that A) Lots of Nintendo games have paid DLC AND Free expansions (i.e. Splatoon 2) presumably cause they can afford to swallow a little short term loss to bolster long term sales, and B) To add these characters as playable you'd have to remove their Assist Trophy counterparts. That kind of thing needs to be a standard update thanks to online play and the like, and people aren't going to like the idea of an update removing content so you can pay for new content to replace it.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Did anyone notice that DLC fighters are getting increasingly heavier since Joker?

:ultjoker:: 93
:ulthero:: 101
:ultbanjokazooie:: 106
:ult_terry:: 108

I'm surprised no one came up with a 'Weight Theory' yet (especially since it would support Doomguy)
The theories live on!!!!

osby

Smash Obsessed
Okay. My reasoning on that was that A) Lots of Nintendo games have paid DLC AND Free expansions (i.e. Splatoon 2) presumably cause they can afford to swallow a little short term loss to bolster long term sales, and B) To add these characters as playable you'd have to remove their Assist Trophy counterparts. That kind of thing needs to be a standard update thanks to online play and the like, and people aren't going to like the idea of an update removing content so you can pay for new content to replace it.
Yeah, but 5 fighters as free updates? That's a bit much for a free update. Especially considering that 'short term loss' would take over a year with how long DLC character development takes.

D

Deleted member

Apparently there was supposed to be a launch even in Japan for sword and shield but it was canceled
This is not going to go over well with Gamefreak.
Considering Japan is the target region, if SS flops there(and more likely than not, it will) GF will be in some hot ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom