• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
1576337248175.png

people punching paint on a wall definitely sounds like "the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination" to me

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
No. They’re just incredibly pretentious and incredibly annoying and I’ve been stuck in classes with them for the past two and a half years and I hate it.

I just want to find some people who want to make the same kinds of movies I do so I can actually relate to my classmates and professors instead of sitting there feeling alienated and belittled.
I’m really hoping this doesn’t come off as rude, but if you‘re generalizing like this so much then I don’t think your taste in movies is what is making you alienated amongst your peers. I suggest looking at this situation from a different perspective.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I’m really hoping this doesn’t come off as rude, but if you‘re generalizing like this so much then I don’t think your taste in movies is what is making you alienated amongst your peers. I suggest looking at this situation from a different perspective.
Ditto from me, although knowing Snake, this has probably been a problem for years now.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Thinking back to it, I'm pretty sure back in the 3DS days of Pokemon, someone traded me a shiny Rayquaza. I think I still have it on my save on Moon.

...Is...that even possible to have? I don't like having hacked 'Mons (used to not mind it, but I don't like it nowadays), so I'd kind of like to know if I should keep it or not.
I’m pretty sure there was an event Shiny Rayquaza once. It’s possible that it isn’t hacked.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Sounds rough but you know not all artists are like that, right?
I know. That’s why I said I’d like to meet one. Because they have to exist. It’s just statistics.
When you’re Professor asks what the point of filmmaking is, and you raise your hand and say “to tell a story” because that’s why you want to make films in the first place, and she tells you to your face that you are wrong, then you tend to not wanna speak up very often in class.

D

Deleted member

When you’re Professor asks what the point of filmmaking is, and you raise your hand and say “to tell a story” because that’s why you want to make films in the first place, and she tells you to your face that you are wrong, then you tend to not wanna speak up very often in class.
I mean, your prof isn’t technically wrong there. Filming is more than just storytelling. Documenting events, preserving the past, etc are more of the point than simple storytelling.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
hello fellow weebs
A traditional, seasonal greeting is in order:

HASHIRE SORI YO
KAZE NO YOU NI
TSUKIMIHARA WO
PADORU PADORU

HASHIRE SORI YO
KAZE NO YOU NI
TSUKIMIHARA WO
PADORU PADORU

HASHIRE SORI YO
KAZE NO YOU NI
TSUKIMIHARA WO
PADORU PADORU

HASHIRE SORI YO
KAZE NO YOU NI
TSUKIMIHARA WO
PADORU PADORU

HASHIRE SORI YO
KAZE NO YOU NI
TSUKIMIHARA WO
PADORU PADORU

Yes hello good morning.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I know. That’s why I said I’d like to meet one. Because they have to exist. It’s just statistics.

I think she wanted to hear "to send a message" due to even stuff like King Kong being massively political back in the 30's

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean, your prof isn’t technically wrong there. Filming is more than just storytelling. Documenting events, preserving the past, etc are more of the point than simple storytelling.
That's the point of DOCUMENTARY filmmaking. The purpose of Narrative filmmaking is to tell a story. And the purpose of experimental filmmaking is to do interesting things with the visuals. Each form has a different purpose, and you can't just say one point fits all three like my professor did (ftr, she said the point of filmmaking was the visuals, which I guess wasn't wrong but I feel like it's an incomplete definition and it's not even the most important part).

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I think she wanted to hear "to send a message" due to even stuff like King Kong being massively political back in the 30's
Nope. She said it was all about visuals. Not visual storytelling. Just visuals. And then she proceeded to teach the class almost exclusivly with indie expirimental films. In a class called FILM MAKING 1!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Nope. She said it was all about visuals. Not visual storytelling. Just visuals. And then she proceeded to teach the class almost exclusivly with indie expirimental films. In a class called FILM MAKING 1!
You'll want good shots and memorable cinematography but nobody makes a movie just for making something look pretty, even James Cameron's mighty whitey movie had a narrative it wanted to sell and people only remember it looking nice

D

Deleted member

Well, I found a shiny while backtracking to Viridian Forest... a shiny Pidgey. Literally any other Pokemon would've been better, preferably Bulbasaur or Caterpie. But no, I had to get the only shiny I didn't want. At least shiny Pidgeotto looks nice, so it's not a total loss.

Also speaking of Pokemon, if you're doing the Battle Tower in SwSh make sure to fill your team with a bunch of Zigzagoon first. In the tower Pick Up works even when your team doesn't fight. It's a convenient way to farm for BP and Pick Up items simultaneously.

Looking through the last few pages, now I wonder what you guys would say my archetype is.
Anyone? I would've asked earlier if it wasn't for time zones.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I don’t really remember anyone being so pretentious in the last couple art classes I did... then again, they were just community college art classes, so I’d imagine something more specialized would have a difference?
They should be pretty easy to find on the internet at least... I’m not punching paint on a wall and I’m going to say that what I’m doing is often weird. Unless the majority of art falls outside that specific definition of art...

Sounds like it should be “camera angles 101” or something, since a movie is a sum of its parts (including script and music,) isn’t it?
Although, if she didn’t use any examples, it sounds almost as if she’s just saying, “quit filmmaking right now, and become a VFX artist instead!”

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You'll want good shots and memorable cinematography but nobody makes a movie just for making something look pretty, even James Cameron's mighty whitey movie had a narrative it wanted to sell and people only remember it looking nice
Exactly. The class was so colored by her own personal preferences it made me mad. And then I went on to have like, 4 more classes with her each semester!

D

Deleted member

That's the point of DOCUMENTARY filmmaking. The purpose of Narrative filmmaking is to tell a story. And the purpose of experimental filmmaking is to do interesting things with the visuals. Each form has a different purpose, and you can't just say one point fits all three like my professor did (ftr, she said the point of filmmaking was the visuals, which I guess wasn't wrong but I feel like it's an incomplete definition and it's not even the most important part).
That’s not my point. My point is that it doesn’t matter what kinda film you’re making, filming isn’t just storytelling. What type the film is is irrelevant to my argument.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I don’t really remember anyone being so pretentious in the last couple art classes I did... then again, they were just community college art classes, so I’d imagine something more specialized would have a difference?
They should be pretty easy to find on the internet at least... I’m not punching paint on a wall and I’m going to say that what I’m doing is often weird. Unless the majority of art falls outside that specific definition of art...

Sounds like it should be “camera angles 101” or something, since a movie is a sum of its parts (including script and music,) isn’t it?
Although, if she didn’t use any examples, it sounds almost as if she’s just saying, “quit filmmaking right now, and become a VFX artist instead!”
She's only ever made experimental and indie films. THAT'S why she said what she said. And she doesn't give a flying fitzgerald about story.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
photoshop tim hortons onto your avatar and then i'll believe it
Couldn't make it fit onto my current avatar, but I DO have an alternate avatar of Tails I'd like to use in the future where it works. Here is the result:
tails with tim hortons coffee.png

The Tim Horton's logo is right there. It's blurry, but you can see it.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
How many Dragon Quest games should I play to get the most out of DQXI's story? I've beaten DQ1 and DQ2 and I'm currently working my way through DQ3.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So give the project to someone else.
disrespecting sakurai is a one-way ticket to the shadow realm

How many Dragon Quest games should I play to get the most out of DQXI's story? I've beaten DQ1 and DQ2 and I'm currently working my way through DQ3.
None, only the Tickington quests make other references to other DQ games, and even then that's an exclusive to the Nintendo variants of the game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom