• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I passed away a long time ago waiting for the Mother 3 reveal. Tonight, while watching Reggie walk on stage wearing his new post-retirement Mother 3 pin, my skeleton began to slowly rot away into dust. I would be numb, but like, we got Gen 3 remakes, we kinda got a major Half-Life sequel, we got Earthbound Beginnings! That was only...wait how long ago was that

oh jesus it was 2015

its never gonna frikkin happen is it

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Me: Okay as long as I don't do anything stupid, I should be able to get through this Pokemon Sword Nuzloche with minimal casualties.

Also me: I bet I can evolve my Farfetch'd super early by chipping away at this wild Wobuffet's health with Rock Smash, it shouldn't do enough damage for Counter to OHKO even with a crit.

*Wobuffet's defense fell* x2

Well that's okay I'll just run aw-

*Shadow Tag*

In hindsight I should have used one of those Poke Dolls an NPC gave me. I just forgot I had those.
But uh yeah, rip McDuck the Farftech'd, killed by hitting a punching bag too hard.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
My god, it's finally happening!!!

Saw that coming a mile away.

True. I got 50 bucks on reindeer/Rudolph Yoshi being one of the next two tour exclusives.

Then again, Winter Coat Peach is what the fans really want.

Also, that Pauline is everything I wanted in an alt costume and more.

(Edit: I see Birdo hiding beneath Pauline's arm.)

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I'm gonna stake a VERY crazy bet.

There will NOT be a January Direct, considering we haven't had one since... wanna say 2013?

February direct with a direct-after Direct shadowdrop of character 5, with a Sakurai presentation like Banjo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Anyways, the UA3 DLC will also come with more costumes for the characters. These haven’t been shown at the Awards apparently, but they got showcased in japanese media:

45C35C82-DEBC-4220-B96C-4145F1E9A662.jpeg

A6D10823-E696-4802-A1F5-24DAC0C6BF43.jpeg

F60EF2F3-450B-42BF-BB41-BEEFE73E5753.jpeg

F345C403-1D6C-4064-BD35-2C754BF35FA7.jpeg

8B8E21A6-010B-4E25-882D-E5BB7D920326.jpeg

D

Deleted member

Just finished Evangelion today. Beautiful ending...

And I still don't have a single idea on what had transpired.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I heard the Geno thread got locked. Haven't checked the thread in weeks, and when I got a chance to see what's been going on today and the past few weeks.

Geez, and I thought Ridley's thread was nuts. The Geno thread legitimately scares me.

D

Deleted member

The day just started and it already got bad.

Not because of the Game Awards (I liked the reveals of UA3, Bravely Default 2 and The Wolf Among Us 2), but because my father is already complaining about how little care we give to him (a goddam lie).

D

Deleted member

I heard the Geno thread got locked. Haven't checked the thread in weeks, and when I got a chance to see what's been going on today and the past few weeks.

Geez, and I thought Ridley's thread was nuts. The Geno thread legitimately scares me.
But at least...they got the character in the end.

With this behavior exhibited...I don't know if I should ever say "put Geno in to make them shut up"

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna stake a VERY crazy bet.

There will NOT be a January Direct, considering we haven't had one since... wanna say 2013?

February direct with a direct-after Direct shadowdrop of character 5, with a Sakurai presentation like Banjo.
I mean, there was a mini direct in January 2018
I still think a Smash focused direct in the first half of January is possible honestly

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
But at least...they got the character in the end.

With this behavior exhibited...I don't know if I should ever say "put Geno in to make them shut up"
Ridley's thread was a mess at times, but for the most part, discussions were relevant to the main topic and people could calmly debate with detractors (though they took it to extremes by preparing lengthy essays complete with size scales and other various pictures).

Geno's thread wouldn't be so bad if people stayed on topic and didn't freak out every time a random user claimed he was a one-shot who no one remembers or cares about. I don't want Geno to stay out of Smash just to see his supporters upset, but his thread really needs a few non-mod users to help keep it from becoming so derailed and toxic. It's not a good image.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Gentlepanda Gentlepanda should I play Bravely Default 1 before playing Bravely 2?
it looks largely unconnected (like final fantasy 1 to final fantasy 2), but bravely second ended on a sequel tease so i wouldn't be surprised if there's a connection

they're probably not expecting most people to have played default 1 though if it's coming to switch first-timers so you should be fine either way

Shroob

Sup?
Ridley's thread was a mess at times, but for the most part, discussions were relevant to the main topic and people could calmly debate with detractors (though they took it to extremes by preparing lengthy essays complete with size scales and other various pictures).

Geno's thread wouldn't be so bad if people stayed on topic and didn't freak out every time a random user claimed he was a one-shot who no one remembers or cares about. I don't want Geno to stay out of Smash just to see his supporters upset, but his thread really needs a few non-mod users to help keep it from becoming so derailed and toxic. It's not a good image.
Does not help at all that one of the most prolific users of said thread has been rubbing elbows with SABI of all people for months, and now that they broke it off, he has somewhat had it out for her, and EVERYONE comes rushing to his aide whenever someone doubts him.

Leaks have poisoned Ultimate's 'speculation', if you can even call it that anymore.

D

Deleted member

it looks largely unconnected (like final fantasy 1 to final fantasy 2), but bravely second ended on a sequel tease so i wouldn't be surprised if there's a connection

they're probably not expecting most people to have played default 1 though if it's coming to switch first-timers so you should be fine either way
Thanks for the help.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I wonder how the Geno community will be looked back on if he does end up getting in. The Kuttthroats had a few moments of toxic behavior and Ridley's support thread went through a similar phase as Geno's is now but both seem to be looked back upon fondly in the overall community nowadays. I wonder if the same will apply here.

Geno has perpetually been so close, yet so far from getting into Smash Bros. I feel like him being the last of the big Classic 4 (Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo, Geno) has kinda drained the community. I don't think they're as compelled to root for their guy despite backlash as much as the Kuttthroats were, they like to sorta huddle up in their thread. Not an explicitly bad thing, but I don't think they're ever going to reach anywhere near K. Rool levels of grassroots popularity if they keep at it that way.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not feeling bad for the character, yet it just shows how far people can go with regards to this one character.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
reflecting on it, if you told me a few months ago that nintendo would headline TGA with bravely default of all things i would've told you to **** off

Shroob

Sup?
I do find it funny the mass exodus of "No reveal" posts in the Newcomer thread that happened before the show, myself included.

Deep down, I think a lot of us just kinda felt like something was 'off', especially since the general consensus was "Who's 5? No ****ing clue."

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Damn, I couldn't get anything to load to do a username change.

Not the one I planned, but... it works. >.>

...I also found this image earlier. New Pokken Fighter? :p (Not sure it's a bad url or the site being weird. Probably a bad url).

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
At this point, I'm fully convinced that Bayonetta 3 teaser was just a fever dream with a surprisingly good sound direction.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I think I'm more bothered that they thought a Fast and Furious video game was the best way to close out the show than I am at the lack of Smash news.

The game didn't even look that great, tbh.

Shroob

Sup?
I think I'm more bothered that they thought a Fast and Furious video game was the best way to close out the show than I am at the lack of Smash news.

The game didn't even look that great, tbh.
That's my only issue with the award show tbh.

I could live without, and didn't expect a Smash reveal.

But to end it on a movie licensed game is....ick.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Honestly, I’m not disappointed with the lack of a Smash character. When the Smash team is ready to reveal it is when they are going to reveal it. I’ll let them take their time.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Honestly, I’m not disappointed with the lack of a Smash character. When the Smash team is ready to reveal it is when they are going to reveal it. I’ll let them take their time.
On a more "positive" note (depending on your preferences), at least the theory that fighter #5 has to be a huge bombshell of a reveal has been dispelled somewhat. I'm quite interested to see where we go from here.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I've been saying there would be nothing for months, and I choose to believe that pessimism physically manifested and cancelled whatever FP5 announcement there originally was for this.

That said, Gears Tactics looks better than I thought it would. Ori and Doom look good but we knew that already. Cable/Gambit in MUA3, Maneater and NMH3 were all pleasant surprises. Untitled Beaker Game needs to be real.

I wonder how the Geno community will be looked back on if he does end up getting in. The Kuttthroats had a few moments of toxic behavior and Ridley's support thread went through a similar phase as Geno's is now but both seem to be looked back upon fondly in the overall community nowadays. I wonder if the same will apply here.

Geno has perpetually been so close, yet so far from getting into Smash Bros. I feel like him being the last of the big Classic 4 (Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo, Geno) has kinda drained the community. I don't think they're as compelled to root for their guy despite backlash as much as the Kuttthroats were, they like to sorta huddle up in their thread. Not an explicitly bad thing, but I don't think they're ever going to reach anywhere near K. Rool levels of grassroots popularity if they keep at it that way.
Depends on when you're talking about. Smash 4 Ridley thread was incredibly tame compared to Brawl (we went through several threads and eventually got Ridley as a thread topic just flat out banned for a time). The worst Smash 4 really ever had was how heated shadowposting would get, and some drama back when we had Social Groups.

K. Rool was a bit late in gaining traction in sense that we didn't even have Diddy when Brawl speculation kicked off, and DK hadn't quite reached peak series stagnation just yet (it was pre-DKCR). They faced arguably worse elsewhere, not just this website, whereas Ridley has kinda petered off once the comments from Sakurai hit.

Both these and Banjo-Kazooie also different circumstances, but I feel every fanbase has toxicity/a bad side if you look hard enough (namely now that everything is so widespread and out there with social media). Had any of us had similar circumstances (if any of Ridley/K. Rool/Banjo weren't already in I'm sure they'd still be just as loud as they've always been), I'm sure most others would still be critical/sick of us (if they aren't already, though I find most people kinda chill out eventually after a character/fanbase they dislike gets in).

Either way it's almost always vocal minority/echo chamber stuff that gets the biggest stink compared to those of us that just remain quietly hopeful, or just stop caring about speculation/doing the same old arguments/song and dance after a while. Debating and being passionate is fine, but some of us don't want to kill each other perceived importance of fictional characters (or are just getting too old for it) nor want to be associated with any of that noise.

I will say it takes a special kind of persistent to keep up with this rollercoaster stuff for as long as Geno has. It'd be nice to see some old friends/genuine fans of the idea get pleasantly surprised, if nothing else. Holding grudges because some people ruin it for others isn't something I think is worth the effort unless you're the Mileena stans

D

Deleted member

Completely agree.

Besides, we still got cool reveal such as the UA3 DLC (thank god the rumours were wrong and it wasn’t delayed), Bravely 2 and Wolf Among Us 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom