• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Like Imma take Reimu with a huge, HUGE grain of salt.

Of course I want it to happen but

This **** is sus as all hell.

Verg or Sabi's refusal to say anything both is and isn't suspicious, and that's both a good and a bad thing.

This entire scenario is one big paradox.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
You go on believing that. And I'll go on not believing that.

It's bad because he really should be thinking globally with who he picks. I will admit that I forgot some of those titles released. But I was under the impression that the mainline series was Japan only and the creator didn't want them localized.

i swear if she doesn't have localized voice lines in smash i'm gonna scream
Y'know, Terry technically is not localized in terms of voicelines.

D

Deleted member

Like Imma take Reimu with a huge, HUGE grain of salt.

Of course I want it to happen but

This **** is sus as all hell.

Verg or Sabi's refusal to say anything both is and isn't suspicious, and that's both a good and a bad thing.

This entire scenario is one big paradox.
Like the cat of schrodinger.

Shroob

Sup?
You go on believing that. And I'll go on not believing that.

It's bad because he really should be thinking globally with who he picks. I will admit that I forgot some of those titles released. But I was under the impression that the mainline series was Japan only and the creator didn't want them localized.

i swear if she doesn't have localized voice lines in smash i'm gonna scream
I mean

Touhou is huge globally

Online.

Every time I see people bring up Reimu for Smash over on the subreddit, it gets upvoted to hell.

Touhou's big on 4chan.

Touhou music is big enough that people like Alpharad put it into their videos.

This isn't some HYPER NICHE series as some would make you believe.

Sure, if you go up to a rando and ask them if they know what a Too-Hoo is, they won't.

But they're not gonna know most of the characters in Smash to begin with.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I like how Banjo was hyped up hard, only for him to be overshadowed by the Hero Drama, Terry, Sans, and everyone dropped him in 2 days. Real shame, he deserved better

Anyway, was Reimu leaked or something?

D

Deleted member

You know your game’s got quite some sort of reputation online when even Dross Rotzank has played Touhou.

Dross being quite a popular youtuber from South America in case anyone asks.

Shroob

Sup?
I like how Banjo was hyped up hard, only for him to be overshadowed by the Hero Drama, Terry, Sans, and everyone dropped him in 2 days. Real shame, he deserved better

No, just apparently Verg ignoring Reimu like the plague.

He could say "It's not Reimu" any moment, but as of now, he's chosen to ignore her.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Remember, some English Touhou games are on Switch.

If you ask me, though, our new Spirit Board is gonna be filled with WAH! I would love Reimu, too, though. Touhou is interesting, and its music rocks.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean

Touhou is huge globally

Online.

Every time I see people bring up Reimu for Smash over on the subreddit, it gets upvoted to hell.

Touhou's big on 4chan.

Touhou music is big enough that people like Alpharad put it into their videos.

This isn't some HYPER NICHE series as some would make you believe.

Sure, if you go up to a rando and ask them if they know what a Too-Hoo is, they won't.

But they're not gonna know most of the characters in Smash to begin with.
I still don't know if the american audience at the game awards is gonna know who she is. I half expect some of them to be like "Sakurai added an OC".
Remember, some English Touhou games are on Switch.

If you ask me, though, our new Spirit Board is gonna be filled with WAH! I would love Reimu, too, though. Touhou is interesting, and its music rocks.
Mainline games? Or spinoffs?

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!

Implying banjo was big overshadowed, boi had months of hype.

Keep trying to put down the dynamic duo tho

Shroob

Sup?
I still don't know if the american audience at the game awards is gonna know who she is. I half expect some of them to be like "Sakurai added an OC".

Why do you think a couple hundred people sitting in seats at the game awards matter?

The people that matter are the millions that will be watching it streamed.

D

Deleted member

I begrudgingly accept it. Even if I would have preferred that an english VO recorded his lines for america, it's at least passable.

And I can't further elaborate on this without sounding r...... eally problematic.
Do you have something against listening to non-localised VA or something?
If that's the case, girl, it's just the voice, you don't have to be that....i dunno, petty I guess? about it.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Why do you think a couple hundred people sitting in seats at the game awards matter?

The people that matter are the millions that will be watching it streamed.
The cheer from the audience sets the mood of the reveal. Especially since we're gonna hear it over the broadcast. If there CAN be a live cheer for a Smash reveal, then I am of the opinion there should be. People over the internet who know her will be excited, but the casuals who don't really care can't hear them. All they can hear is the dead silence from the room. If they hear a cheer, they're still excited because of those emotions. If they hear silence, well, you can guess what will happen.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

I guess spinoffs? Idk what the fighting games are counted as since they use numbers like “17.5,” but it’s still Touhou on an English Switch.

D

Deleted member

The most hype moment of Smash history for me is still the day I took this screenshot after years awaiting the day:
511BABEE-BB15-4446-9D38-6E223386591B.jpeg

I don’t think there can be any other moment that will top this for me.

Shroob

Sup?
The cheer from the audience sets the mood of the reveal. Especially since we're gonna hear it over the broadcast. If there CAN be a live cheer for a Smash reveal, then I am of the opinion there should be. People over the internet who know her will be excited, but the casuals who don't really care can't hear them. All they can hear is the dead silence from the room. If they hear a cheer, they're still excited because of those emotions. If they hear silence, well, you can guess what will happen.
This is the strangest take I've ever seen.

There's going to be clapping regardless, it's an awards show, it's respectful to clap.

D

Deleted member

I mean
Do you see people talk about Ridley anymore? Or K. Rool, or Ken, or Mega Man, or any character who's ever been reavealed for Smash ever? The people who only have a surface level interest/were only in it for speculation will move on, and the people who wanted them are satisfied and really don't have much else to say. You can't expect the hype cycle for a character to last forever, because eventually you're going to run out of things to talk about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
Like, we're all hyping Reimu up

And the only reason is that Verg keeps dodging her like Neo in the Matrix.

I want her but I'm not expecting her, because literally any day he could just come out and say "Nope, Chuck Testa."

Of course, the closer we get the more suspicious it'll be but

A lot of these takes are dumb tbh.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I mean
Do you see people talk about Ridley anymore? Or K. Rool, or Ken, or Mega Man, or any character who's ever been reavealed for Smash ever? The people who only have a surface level interest/were only in it for speculation will move on, and the people who wanted them are satisfied and really don't have much else to say. You can't expect the hype cycle for a character to last forever, because eventually you're going to run out of things to talk about.
That's true, but I'm just hearing that he just isn't fun and encourages an annoying playstyle. What prompted me to say this is former big Banjo supporters are saying this on social media, and I almost never see this on other characters.

Unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

D

Deleted member

There's going to be clapping regardless, it's an awards show, it's respectful to clap.
yeah, this is how I feel.

Like, the background noise of the reveal has zero relevance to the reveal itself. nada, zip, nothing. Dunno what Snake is getting hung up over.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
A smash character is ****ing dead if the game awards crowd doesn’t eat it up.
Literally dead. If the crowd is silent, Geoff Keighley will walk out on stage and murder them, and continue to murder Smash characters until the crowd does cheer.

Or more likely, the crowd will cheer as soon as it's obvious that it's a Smash character and then not stop until the trailer is over because that's just how popular Smash is.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
She's just going to ignore logic like this because it's not her preferred outcome.
OK. **** you. I'm not ignoring logic. I just have a different perspective on the gaming landscape. One that many would call casual. Exposure to smash and the characters that people bring up has broadened my horizons, but I always think back to how I used to think before that. Those are the kinds of gamers that will be in the game awards. Not hardcore fans of an obscure series that get's publicity for it's music (which I've listened to and isn't very good imo). It's not illogical. It's a different experience.

And need I remind you, my preferred outcomes have been explicitly deconfirmed. Why would I try to minimize something I "didn't like" if I can't even try to promote something I do like in the process? Like, where's the logic in that. We can't have no fighter 5.

A respectful clap is different from cheers, shouting, and audible excitement. It's not people shouting "woo hoo!" "yeah" "FINALLY!" "WHAT!?!". One is respect. The other is genuine excitement.

And I'm not saying that Reimu shouldn't ever be in Smash. I'm saying that they shouldn't reveal her at the game awards. The Game Awards is a very special event and needs a very special reveal for it. Reimu is best served by a general nintendo direct.

D

Deleted member

So anybody up for a smash ultimate 1st anniversary battle arena tommarow?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Literally dead. If the crowd is silent, Geoff Keighley will walk out on stage and murder them, and continue to murder Smash characters until the crowd does cheer.

Or more likely, the crowd will cheer as soon as it's obvious that it's a Smash character and then not stop until the trailer is over because that's just how popular Smash is.
Why do you keep insisting this. Sakurai reveals a yam for smash. People will not be excited. It's not exciting just because it's Smash. It's exciting because it's X Franchise JOINING Smash. And different audiences are going to be excited for different characters. And the audience at the game awards are not the kind of people who will be excited to see Reimu.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
OK. **** you. I'm not ignoring logic. I just have a different perspective on the gaming landscape. One that many would call casual. Exposure to smash and the characters that people bring up has broadened my horizons, but I always think back to how I used to think before that. Those are the kinds of gamers that will be in the game awards. Not hardcore fans of an obscure series that get's publicity for it's music (which I've listened to and isn't very good imo). It's not illogical. It's a different experience.

And need I remind you, my preferred outcomes have been explicitly deconfirmed. Why would I try to minimize something I "didn't like" if I can't even try to promote something I do like in the process? Like, where's the logic in that. We can't have no fighter 5.

A respectful clap is different from cheers, shouting, and audible excitement. It's not people shouting "woo hoo!" "yeah" "FINALLY!" "WHAT!?!". One is respect. The other is genuine excitement.

And I'm not saying that Reimu shouldn't ever be in Smash. I'm saying that they shouldn't reveal her at the game awards. The Game Awards is a very special event and needs a very special reveal for it. Reimu is best served by a general nintendo direct.
Snake, who the hell cares if the crowd goes mild at the award show?

The internet WILL explode regardless.

Japan will absolutely nut itself and there'll be pages upon pages of reaction videos on Youtube.

Like, did you 'SEE' Hero's reaction on the Youtube comments of the stream? It was full of :ResidentSleeper: and the like, and yet, Hero still exists, he's here.

You've got a REAL odd perspective if you think the opinions of an incredibly small handful outweigh the millions watching.

Noipoi

Howdy!

What if they don’t have a very special reveal? What if all that’s left is Billy Hatcher, and the game awards was the venue they were given? Should they decline?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Why do you keep insisting this. Sakurai reveals a yam for smash. People will not be excited. It's not exciting just because it's Smash. It's exciting because it's X Franchise JOINING Smash. And different audiences are going to be excited for different characters. And the audience at the game awards are not the kind of people who will be excited to see Reimu.
real talk, I'd probably main a yam in a heartbeat

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Snake, who the hell cares if the crowd goes mild at the award show?

The internet WILL explode regardless.

Japan will absolutely nut itself and there'll be pages upon pages of reaction videos on Youtube.

Like, did you 'SEE' Hero's reaction on the Youtube comments of the stream? It was full of :ResidentSleeper: and the like, and yet, Hero still exists, he's here.

You've got a REAL odd perspective if you think the opinions of an incredibly small handful outweigh the millions watching.
I'm done. You're not listening to me. You aren't even considering the perspective I bring because it's different. I'm dropping the topic. I guess Reimu is just the next thing in the long list of things I am not allowed to comment on.
Yarn?

YARN KIRBY? WITH PRINCE FLUFF AS AN ALT?

UH, I'D BE EXCITED, SPEAK FOR YOURSELF
YAM. As in Sweet Potatoes.

D

Deleted member

Dunno about everyone else, but while I would be salty about a yam at first, it depends on how he implements it
That's what you aren't getting, any character(or object) could theoretically work as a reveal and an actual character; it just hinges on how the character works and a minor focus on popularity(Banjo got a positive reception, while Terry was fairly controversial, going by reddit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom