• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Amen but, like, the fact that we haven't gotten a single remix by David Wise is an actual crime punishable by death.
It's definitely sad to not see him in after Grant Kirkhope got in. Heck, I remember when the game was releasing and the music was being uploaded before the artists were shown, I thought of the possibility that David Wise did Crocodile Cacophony, since the remix really reminded me of his work in Tropical Freeze and it surprised me that it wasn't him. Was sorta sad, but at the same time, mad props to Soshi Abe for doing Crocodile Cacophony justice(especially for the guitar).

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Amen but, like, the fact that we haven't gotten a single remix by David Wise is an actual crime punishable by death.
Wise and Uematsu are two I would like to see do Smash remixes.

I'd also like to see more Uematsu in Smash generally

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If we're going down the list of composers that haven't made a remix yet. Jake Kaufman, Yuki Iwai(MMX, MMX2), Takashi Tateishi and Bun-Bun(MM2, MM3 and MM10) would be cool.

EDIT: Sestuo Yamamoto also worked on MMX1. And Toshihiko Horiyama worked on MMX1, MMX4, MMBN4, Apollo Justice and MMPU. So they'd also be cool.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I know this isn’t very relevant to current discussion, but ballot votes were mentioned so:

If I remember correctly, these were my ballot votes:

-Ice Climbers
-Banjo-Kazooie
-Steve
-Gengar
-Chorus Kids (I think I called them Chorus Men)

I loved the Ice Climbers since I first saw/watched them in Brawl and played them, and I still enjoy their game for a bit when I play it. I’m probably one of a few people who would love to see a new game for them.

I’ve loved the Banjo-Kazooie series since I was 4 years old, so seeing them in Smash would’ve definitely been a dream come true, and now they’re here.

The Gengar line has always been my favorite ghost-type line, with Gengar being right up there with Pikachu and some others as one of my favorites of all ‘mons. I would really love his inclusion.

(Steve stuff with next paragraph)

Some other characters I didn’t really consider for Smash until last year when seeing stuff and discussion gave me the idea, even though they were already likes or favorites of mine. I guess ‘cause I’m usually easy-going with this sort of stuff. Happened with Steve too tbh despite putting him in the ballot when I was 15 and being a huge Minecraft fan (part of it may have been me being shy to discuss Minecraft at the time because of how some people treated fans, but idk). I usually tend to use my own skin, but I have been using Steve skins lately, and I always saw him as the icon of the game alongside the Creeper and, after she was added, Alex, though I guess I paid Steve more attention than her since he was/is still my default skin and I already knew him for a few years, and I’ve become attached to him like other characters; I like Alex too, though, and think she should be with Steve as alt. at least if he gets in.

While he’s my 2nd most-wanted now, I wasn’t actually aware of Geno at the time, but I bet I would’ve had him in there as well since he easily won me over with his design even before I knew his personality and played SMRPG. He’s very cool and would make me very excited if he got in. I’d also like Mallow a lot as well, but I would choose Geno as the fighter if it had to be between the two, tbh.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Whoa, it has been very very long hiatus lol, still not gonna being active here since welp, social thread will continue to be social thread... fast and pretty messy on certain topics... like this one, I have already seen the chains of this response and yeah...
I really don't want to start this again, I just wanted to ask a specific question. That's it.

I'm just going to drop this now before I get hit with the ban hammer.
Yep, some users here are just you know sensitive, you can never change their mind, unfortunate but hey that's Smashboards social for ya.

Anyway, obviously I have follow on Smash Bros and many gaming news, from Terry in Smash to Sakurai joking on Mai not in Smash at all, it's really just the CERO folks, but still it's hilarious to people memeing this lol.

And don't get me started on Blizzard Blitzchung fiasco, as I Taiwanese myself, I don't understand the western gamers going wild on this besides yeah, Blizzard screw up badly. But hey, please aware, Blizzard games are very popular in China.

So yeah, that's pretty much it, not gonna share any gaming videos because it can be annoying and some sensitive users will not like them.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
This wouldn’t shock me.

although to be fair both sides have some flawed ways of handling things lately.

little town hero just felt kind of uninspired and a bit meh. The music and artstyle is good but they barely gave people a reason to buy it.

National dex is obviously the biggest factor here. Which I’m going to be honest is also mostly on them. They are a big name studio with a huge backing from Nintendo it shouldn’t have been that hard and they should have held the game off then, or at least deal with this better. Masuda really didn’t help the situation either.

Granted some people have really taken that **** way too far and should be ashamed of themselves.

Outside of that the only other complaint people had was about the graphics which are fine and were retooled nicely. So this was a stupid think to complain about tbh. Although this died down a lot when dexit took over.

If they did some more reveals without going overboard then they would be able to at least sell the game to the audience a little better imo.

obviously the biggest problem here was the national dex controversy.

If this rumor is true then Nintendo should honestly shake the place up a bit. Let people who have been there away go work on some other Nintendo game and bring in fresh faces who grew up with the series and had a vision for its future and optimism. Even someone like Masuda should honestly be giving a break at least as a spokesperson or director. He’s good with music let him stay there and take a back seat so it’s not too hard oh him. I’m sure there plenty of options to really shape the company up and paint a brighter future.

This went longer then expected but just wanted to share my thoughts

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
This wouldn’t shock me.

little town hero just felt kind of uninspired and a bit meh. The music and artstyle is good but they barely gave people a reason to buy it.

National dex is obviously the biggest factor here. Which I’m going to be honest is also mostly on them. They are a big name studio with a huge backing from Nintendo it shouldn’t have been that hard and they should have held the game off then, or at least deal with this better. Masuda really didn’t help the situation either.

Granted some people have really taken that **** way too far and should be ashamed of themselves.

Outside of that the only other complaint people had was about the graphics which are fine and were retooled nicely. So this was a stupid think to complain about tbh. Although this died down a lot when dexit took over.

If they did some more reveals without going overboard then they would be able to at least sell the game to the audience a little better imo.

If this rumor is true then Nintendo should honestly shake the place up a bit. Let people who have been there away go work on some other Nintendo game and bring in fresh faces who grew up with the series and had a vision for its future and optimism. Even someone like Masuda should honestly be giving a break at least as a spokesperson or director. He’s good with music let him stay there and take a back seat so it’s not too hard oh him. I’m sure there plenty of options to really shape the company up and paint a brighter future.

You don't think having everything leak also played a role?

Also, I'm not sure how helpful it is to morale to replace a bunch of staff.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
You don't think having everything leak also played a role?

Also, I'm not sure how helpful it is to morale to replace a bunch of staff.
Maybe but should the leaks shock them? Every game leaks they should be used to it tbh. Yeah it sucks but they should know it’s inevitable.
And if you take a break in the series or are giving people breaks or chances to work on other exciting projects and clear their mind, I don’t think morale would be badly affected. People would be happy to be able to breathe a little and get to do something different

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Maybe but should the leaks shock them? Every game leaks they should be used to it tbh. Yeah it sucks but they should know it’s inevitable.
And if you take a break in the series or are giving people breaks or chances to work on other exciting projects and clear their mind, I don’t think morale would be badly affected. People would be happy to be able to breathe a little and get to do something different
Many game developers have talked about how bad leaks are for morale. Just because it keeps happening doesn't stop people from being effected by it.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It's definitely sad to not see him in after Grant Kirkhope got in. Heck, I remember when the game was releasing and the music was being uploaded before the artists were shown, I thought of the possibility that David Wise did Crocodile Cacophony, since the remix really reminded me of his work in Tropical Freeze and it surprised me that it wasn't him. Was sorta sad, but at the same time, mad props to Soshi Abe for doing Crocodile Cacophony justice(especially for the guitar).
I mean at the very least Swinger Flinger is still the best version of the jungle level theme. But yeah I could've went with a few more Western composers. It's quite a shame that we couldn't get a crazy heavy metal F-Zero track from Mick Gordon, a laid back country inspired Kirby track from Grant Kirkhope, or a melodic majesty of an Earthbound track from David Wise. Like, I get that Sakurai is Japanese and it's just easier to get Japanese composers to do remixes but there's a lot that can be gained from Western composers too.
If we're talking western composers, can we get the guy who Composed the Silver Surfer's theme on NES. Tim Follin.

LISTEN TO THIS. YOU CAN NOT SAY HE DOESN'T DEVERVE A REMIX IN SMASH
Yo, I've never even HEARD of this dude but these tracks are ****ing fire. Add him to the list.
This wouldn’t shock me.

Worst part is that if it weren't for The Pokemon Company (probably) breathing down their necks to get this game out in time for the anime and card game, it could've turned out as one of the best Pokemon games to date. The wild area really shows me that they're trying to take steps to evolve Pokemon for the open-world generation that we're currently in but you can't do that if you got a small team with a decent budget and no time to do everything you want to do. Poor Game Freak man...

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I mean at the very least Swinger Flinger is still the best version of the jungle level theme. But yeah I could've went with a few more Western composers. It's quite a shame that we couldn't get a crazy heavy metal F-Zero track from Mick Gordon, a laid back country inspired Kirby track from Grant Kirkhope, or a melodic majesty of an Earthbound track from David Wise. Like, I get that Sakurai is Japanese and it's just easier to get Japanese composers to do remixes but there's a lot that can be gained from Western composers too.

Yo, I've never even HEARD of this dude but these tracks are ****ing fire. Add him to the list.

Worst part is that if it weren't for The Pokemon Company (probably) breathing down their necks to get this game out in time for the anime and card game, it could've turned out as one of the best Pokemon games to date. The wild area really shows me that they're trying to take steps to evolve Pokemon for the open-world generation that we're currently in but you can't do that if you got a small team with a decent budget and no time to do everything you want to do. Poor Game Freak man...
Unfortunately, Tim Follin has mostly retired.

Last game he was contracted to provide music for was in 2006. He did make a game and the music for it in 2015 but the future of any further Follin games is uncertain.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

This is definitely another factor. Honestly what they should have done is avoid a holiday release if they needed to do more.
Look at the switch itself they launched that in the middle of spring and it’s a huge console know that sold like crazy right away.

Pokémon is a powerhouse, it doesn’t matter when you release the game, it’s going make money. So I don’t see why they likely need to be forced into these November releases

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Unfortunately, Tim Follin has mostly retired.

Last game he was contracted to provide music for was in 2006. He did make a game and the music for it in 2015 but the future of any further Follin games is uncertain.
I mean, David Wise was MIA for...

Nearly 20 years?

StormC

Smash Hero
This is definitely another factor. Honestly what they should have done is avoid a holiday release if they needed to do more.
Look at the switch itself they launched that in the middle of spring and it’s a huge console know that sold like crazy right away.

Pokémon is a powerhouse, it doesn’t matter when you release the game, it’s going make money. So I don’t see why they likely need to be forced into these November releases
They have a whole merchandise/marketing machine that the Pokemon games have to be in line with. Anime production, etc. is scheduled months and months in advance. A delay is simply not an option for them. They chart out a reasonable scope and schedule for the time they have, and they push the game out, no matter what, and the games suffer for it, and they still sell crazy numbers so it doesn't matter.

The weird thing is, the wait between gens used to be 4 years, not 3, and that was before they went 3D and the games didn't require as much time in the oven. I'm not sure why GameFreak doesn't return to that. The only reason I can think of is shareholders expect quicker year-over-year growth and push for Pokemon to be a semi-yearly franchise.

It's unfortunate. I would never accuse the rank-and-file developers at GameFreak of being lazy, but it is hard to not feel like the priorities of the producers and executives are out of wack and more focused about maintaining the brand than releasing the best game possible. The series has suffered from rushing and crunch ever since it went 3D.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Did anyone notice that DLC fighters are getting increasingly heavier since Joker?

:ultjoker:: 93
:ulthero:: 101
:ultbanjokazooie:: 106
:ult_terry:: 108

I'm surprised no one came up with a 'Weight Theory' yet (especially since it would support Doomguy)

D

Deleted member

I am bored tonight, so time to take a page out of Noipoi's play book (I will be sure to put it back, too) and do the following:

Tira Fact #53 - I know how memes are the norm on this thread. Want to know my top favorite? No? Too bad, I am showing you anyway...
sakurai meme.jpg

Considering how this statement is constantly tossed around lately, it sounds like a meme to me.

Sayonara :kirby:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Did anyone notice that DLC fighters are getting increasingly heavier since Joker?

:ultjoker:: 93
:ulthero:: 101
:ultbanjokazooie:: 106
:ult_terry:: 108

I'm surprised no one came up with a 'Weight Theory' yet (especially since it would support Doomguy)
I guess a lot of people are expecting Doomguy/slayer to be heavy but I'm picturing him more like Samus. Especially the floaty nature.

The first two Doom games had points where he kind of just, ran over a gap before he could fall, as a psuedo contextual jump. Doom 2016 is also fairly floaty with how it handles double jumps and aerial momentum.

So yeah, angry green Samus would be accurate.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If Doom Slayer isn't fast as **** then they didn't do his character justice, speed is a huge part of Doom and especially Doom (2016). You sit still for 1 second and you're ****ing dead

StormC

Smash Hero
Samus is floaty because the 2D Metroid games emphasize platforming, especially when Samus gets crazy high jumps in the endgame of Super Metroid and whatnot. I think Doom Slayer would be pretty heavy and rigid, personally, but not necessarily slow.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Off topic but I seriously wonder when we'll get our next batch of SNES games for NSO as it's been 2 months since the direct (IIRC) so what gives? Sure they said they'd be changing their schedule but come on this is such a slow release schedule I just want to play some Donkey Kong Country/Earthbound/Super Mario RPG.

I do wonder when we'll get new games for it.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Off topic but I seriously wonder when we'll get our next batch of SNES games for NSO as it's been 2 months since the direct (IIRC) so what gives? Sure they said they'd be changing their schedule but come on this is such a slow release schedule I just want to play some Donkey Kong Country/Earthbound/Super Mario RPG.

They changed their schedule from monthly to never :troll:

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

This is why people say it's perfectly fine to pirate Nintendo games

osby

Smash Obsessed
I guess a lot of people are expecting Doomguy/slayer to be heavy but I'm picturing him more like Samus. Especially the floaty nature.

The first two Doom games had points where he kind of just, ran over a gap before he could fall, as a psuedo contextual jump. Doom 2016 is also fairly floaty with how it handles double jumps and aerial momentum.

So yeah, angry green Samus would be accurate.
It's just a joke, but: Samus is heavy. She's the ninth heaviest character in the game.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I am bored tonight, so time to take a page out of Noipoi's play book (I will be sure to put it back, too) and do the following:

Tira Fact #53 - I know how memes are the norm on this thread. Want to know my top favorite? No? Too bad, I am showing you anyway...
View attachment 245755
Considering how this statement is constantly tossed around lately, it sounds like a meme to me.

Sayonara:kirby:
Hey, I remember you! I haven't seen you on the boards in ages.

Mind if I ask you something?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
It's just a joke, but: Samus is heavy. She's the ninth heaviest character in the game.
I understand that weight and floatiness are two different things in Smash. I meant that Doomguy would just be heavy to launch, not necessarily hefty in the air.

Shroob

Sup?
I swear to god All-Star Smash is the one blemish on this game lol

I keep getting into the 80s or 90s for KOs but then get fragged by a stray projectile I can't see.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
That...doesn't really work, considering Mario RPG takes place in the world of Mario.

Smash 4 isn't Smash Ultimate. What happened then doesn't necessarily apply now. It would make more sense to say "Spirits disconfirming is dead" once a Spirit character actually becomes playable. Sure, Lucas & Mewtwo came back, but they were veterans. The same cannot be said for any future DLC characters. Is it impossible? No. But should it be considered likely? I would say, probably not.

If we "don't know what exactly is going on in his head" then we can't assume Spirits will be upgraded either.

There's simply no reason, at this point, to assume a Spirit will be upgraded when every other DLC pack has been entirely new to Smash. Unless, of course, there's something out there that implies that the dev team would suddenly upgrade a character.
See. I don’t even consider it they are already a spirit or not in my mind. I only think about if they would be fun to play and are popular with at least one group of people. Because if they want to do something, they’ll do it. It doesn’t matter what they’ve done in the past or not.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If we're talking ballot choices. Like most people I picked a few favorites, Ridley, Simon, Dark Samus, Mega Man X and I think I even tossed in a vote for Sub-Zero. So 3 out of 5 ain't bad at all. Of course getting characters that I didn't even ask for like Terry was pretty great too. And Incineroar, but that's because he wasn't revealed at the time, but how could I not like a Pokemon that looks like Armor King.

We can always count on you to give us SEGA lore. Thanks.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If we're talking ballot choices. Like most people I picked a few favorites, Ridley, Simon, Dark Samus, Mega Man X and I think I even tossed in a vote for Sub-Zero. So 3 out of 5 ain't bad at all. Of course getting characters that I didn't even ask for like Terry was pretty great too. And Incineroar, but that's because he wasn't revealed at the time, but how could I not like a Pokemon that looks like Armor King.

We can always count on you to give us SEGA lore. Thanks.
I wouldn't be particularly surprised if both Hero and Terry did pretty well in the Ballot, honestly. Especially in terms of the Japanese and Latin America regions in particular.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I feel like Geno, Rayman and Shantae should be the first spirits to be upgraded as they’re all third parties who are capable of bringing the same amount of content as the other DLC characters.
I think there's a few others that could do the same. Though unfortunately Shovel Knight's also an Assist Trophy but he easily has the stages, music and other spirits to use and make for a solid DLC choice. But I do agree Rayman and Shantae in particular have a lot to offer with their wide array of games. Shantae could even be representing Wayforward as a whole like how Terry practically does for SNK.

Obviously, you guys know I can see the potential in another Mega Man protagonist doing the same. Mega Man .EXE for example could have a Cyberspace stage, 10 or so tracks from his particular series and spirits based on the other Net Navis. And there's plenty of other official artwork to use for his Fighter Spirit. The same applies to Mega Man X or Volnutt and so on, being from different eras and timelines and so on.

I guess Paper Mario as well. There's even a ton of other locations to go with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom