• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Smash In Time - Hat Kid for Smash Bros.!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, here's some progress report to get folks talking:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, here's some progress report to get folks talking:

ooh so we're getting more dlc? neat

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
I haven't played much of my copy of A Hat In Time, but from what I've played it's a pretty great game. I want to be added in the supporters list.

VicAdward

Smash Apprentice

made a fanmade music video based on the format of 31 Horas Music

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So if we got a mii costume for her like sans what music track would you want it to bring?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
thinking about it, wouldn't queen vanessa's manor work as a stage similar to gamer?

Paraster

Smash Lord
I think Dead Bird Studio would be the most interesting stage choice. I don't think we've seen a movie studio stage, and you could incorporate elements from the Conductor and DJ Grooves's movies.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think Dead Bird Studio would be the most interesting stage choice. I don't think we've seen a movie studio stage, and you could incorporate elements from the Conductor and DJ Grooves's movies.
half train, half city, i like it

zferolie

Smash Hero
I was wondering... what ever happened to Hat Lady? I remember WAY back in the old demo, after you completred the demo, it suddenly cut to an older Hat Kid outside a bookstore.

Paraster

Smash Lord
I was wondering... what ever happened to Hat Lady? I remember WAY back in the old demo, after you completred the demo, it suddenly cut to an older Hat Kid outside a bookstore.
A couple possibilities:

1. It was a placeholder that was never intended to represent the real ending.
2. It was the intended ending, but they came up with a new idea that they liked better (maybe they couldn't think of a way for the bookstore scene to make sense in the plot).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
actually i was reading about "hat adult" recently, from what i understand she was planned to be another playable character comparable to Oot, there had some time branching mechanics planned for the game and she was to represent alternative time lines and you would play as her a long with hat kid

however they struggled to get her work probably and even then the playtesters reacted negatively to her so the team decided she just didnt work and they cut her

heres the wiki i got this from https://ahatintime.fandom.com/wiki/Hat_Adult

Theenderdefender

Smash Cadet
The cute as heck space explorer of A Hat in Time: Hat Kid arrives in time! A love letter to the 64 era of 3D platforming collectathons, what would this adorable and smug lil' lass do in the realm of smash? Let's find out!

Stats: Hat Kid would be a below average lightweight fighter, tied with Zelda, with fairly above average movement speeds between Falco and Olimar. She would have 2 jumps and would be able to wall jump and crawl

Standard Attacks:

Jab: She would have a 3 hit jab that mimics her basic attack in the game: 2 horizontal umbrella swings followed by an overhead smack

Dash Attack: She would perform her dive attack from the game, jumping off the ground with her arms out. This would be unique as far as most sash attacks though. As not only will it not stop at ledges, but she can also perform a jump right after using it

Side Tilt: She would thrust a key straight forward. This is a reference to the game where, when she collects a key, it temporarily replaces her umbrella

Up Tilt: A jumping headbutt. Her whole body would act as a hit box, but the hardest part would be her hat. This would also shift her hurt box up a bit, allowing her to avoid some lower attacks

Down Tilt: Low to the ground poke with her umbrella

Neutral Air: She would perform a single somersault, with there being a sweet spot on her hat

Forward Air: Much like her dash attack, Hat Kid would dive forward with her arms out. Also like her dash attack, she can even jump out of it-provided she has a jump left. This gives her great horizontal recovery options

Back Air: Jabs the tip of her umbrella backwards

Up Air: Thrusts her umbrella upwards, then opens it. This is a 2 hit attack, with the umbrella opening being the stronger of the two hits. If you keep the button held down, she will even float down slowly (as a reference to her Hover Badge)

Down Air: Stomps down with both of her feet

Forward Smash: She would take out one of the explosive fruits from Subcon and toss it forward

Up Smash: Dawns her Dweller's mask and causes 3 green boxes to appear above her

Down Smash: Dawns her Ice Hat, causing her to jump into the air a bit then slam down, creating a powerful shockwave

Grab and Throws:

Hat Kid would use her Grapple badge to grab foes. This is also a tether grab. Her pummel is a headbutt

Forward Throw: Hat Kid picks the foe up then throws them forward

Back Throw: Trades places with the foe before jabbing her umbrella into them and opening it, causing them to fly backwards

Up Throw: Tosses the foe up then headbutts their back, sending them flying higher

Down Throw: Jumps and stomps on the foe's back

Specials:

Neutral Special: Brewing Hat. Hat Kid dawns her witches hat and begins to shake a bottle. She can still walk, run and do a single jump while its fully charged but if she double jumps, crouches or grabs a ledge she loses it and has to charge it again-which takes about a second. Letting go of the special button will have her toss the bottle forward and have it explode on contact with the stage or foe. Afterwards she cannot charge another potion for 3 seconds

Up Special: Homing Attack. Hat Kid spins in a single circle before diving forward at a slightly upward angle. However, if there is a foe within her radius she will instantly dive to them and slam them from above, propelling her higher into the air. Doing this not only doesn't put Hat Kid into free fall, but will also spike the foe she hit if they were at or above 80%

Down Special: Time Stop Hat. Hat Kid dawns her Time Stop hat and lets out a short range wave. Foes caught in this wave will have the timer effect put onto them for 5 seconds. Once it wears off, Hat Kid will need to wait 8 seconds to use the ability again. If she misses, she will still have to wait 8 seconds

Side Special: Projectile Badge. Hat Kid builds up power in her umbrella, then shoots a laser straight forward. The size, range and power of the laser changing depending on how long the charge-a maximum of 6 seconds

Final Smash:
Get Lost!

Hat Kid pulls out a large orb of Time Pieces, floats slightly into the air, then slams them down while shouting "Get Lost!" Foes hit will be transferred to a cinematic final smash which opens with them getting run over by the Conductor and the Mafia Ball. Conductor would be shouting either "Move it ya peck necks!" or "Get Lost!" The cinematic then pans up to Hat Kid signing a contract from snatcher before the ghost smirks and unleashes an explosion on the foe(s) sending them flying as the cinematic ends

Cosmetics:

Hat Kid's default appearance would be her iconic purple and yellow
Blueberry Pie
Margin of Night
The Freedom
Cute N' Dangerous
The Blood Moon
Cookie Dough
The Widow

Her stage intro has her fall from the top screen, then pose

Her idle animation has her put her hands behind her back and sway back and forth innocently

Her first taunt as her stick her tongue out and blow raspberries

Her second taunt shows her balancing her umbrella on her fingertips before posing

Her last taunt would be her iconic smug dance

Her first victory animation would show her running up to a time piece, grabbing it then posing with it in her hand

Her second shows her running around with her sprint hat before posing with her tongue out at the camera

Her final victory has her on her scooter, before she jumps off and performs her smug dance

Her victory theme is Time Piece Get

And just for a neat detail, anytime she uses a move involving another hat she will keep that hat on until she uses a different attack involving a different hat

Theenderdefender

Smash Cadet
A Hat in Time Spirits!

-Hat Kid (Fighter Spirit)
-Possible Bow Kid (Fighter Spirit) (If she ends up somehow as an echo fighter or alt costume)

-Mafia Goon (Novice Primary Spirit: Attack Type)
3 Blue Warios on the Mafia Town stage (What I assume her stage would be)
Song: Welcome to Mafia Town
The Enemy's smash attacks have increased power
Increases Shield Durability

-Sprint Hat (Novice Support Spirit)
Hat Kid being supported by Sonic on the Mario Circuit stage
Song: Main Theme
Timed Stamina Battle where the enemy constantly avoids combat
Increases movement speed

-Dweller's Mask (Novice Support Spirit)
Hat Kid being supported by Fox on the omega form of the Reset Bomb Forest
Song: Subcon Forest
Hat Kid would favor her up smash attack
Increases dodge ability

-Brewing Hat (Advanced Primary Spirit: Neutral Type)
2 Hat Kids on Final Destination
Song: Welcome to Mafia Town remix
Both Hat Kids would favor their neutral specials, which have increased power
Increases fire and explosion power

-Ice Hat (Advanced Support Spirit)
Hat Kid being supported by the Ice Climbers on Summit
Song: Alpine Skylines at Night
Hat Kid favors her down smash while the Ice Climbers favor their side special. The floor is also slippery
Slow Super Armor

-The Conductor and DJ Grooves (Advanced Primary Spirit: Defense Type)
Yellow Yoshi and King Dedede on the Spirit Tracks stage
Song: Battle for award 42
Both characters begin the battle with a killing edge. On occasion, the stage will shake and bob-ombs will fall from the sky
First Hit Invincibility

-Queen Vanessa (Ace Primary Spirit: Grab Type)
Peach in her red alt on Luigi's Mansion
Song: Subcon Forest
The enemy is invisible and you will take serious damage at random times

-Time Stop Hat (Ace Support Spirit)
Hat Kid being supported by Bayonetta on Mafia Town
Song: Dead Bird Studio
Both fighters prefer their down specials and Timers will constantly spawn in
Increases Down Special power

-Mafia Boss (Ace Primary Spirit: Attack Type)
Blue K. Rool on Mafia Town
Song: Mafia Boss' Big Showdown
Stamina Battle. The enemy begins the fight with Death's Scythe, and his smash attacks are much more powerful

-Snatcher (Ace Primary Spirit: Defense Type)
Black alt Kirby on Reset Bomb Forest
Song: Your Contract has Expired
The enemy is giant, has super armor and increased attack power. Also, on occasion, you will be unable to use special moves
You will start the battle Giant

-Time Piece (Legendary Primary Spirit: Neutral Type)
Hat Kid on Lylet Cruise
Song: Main Theme
The enemy is invisible, and can use a sudden, powerful final smash twice in a row

-Mustache Girl (Legendary Support Spirit)
Mario on Mafia Town
Song: Your All Bad Guys
The enemy has all their stats increased, occasionally turn invincible and you will at random take serious damage
Timer Immunity

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
A Hat in Time always had that first party Nintendo game feel to me, the chapeau wearing child would feel right at home in smash.

Sign me up, buckaroo.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Forgot to post it here but I made an article for Hat Kid just a few days ago. Give it a read when you can!

DjangoBreeze

Smash Rookie
soooo i hope she gets in cause i really love a hat in time and feel that it's a great indie game. i don't have a great computer so had to get the switch version which is.... okay?

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Recently finally got my hands on this game thanks to a sale, and I don't think I've had as much fun with a game in years as I did with this one. The game just oozed charm and charisma and did a fantastic job at reviving the Gamecube era of platformers.

Count me as a supporter, Hat Kid may be considered unlikely with mainstream speculation but no one predicted Terry, Sephiroth or Joker before they happened so who knows. The moveset potential is certainly there.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
There's a Nintendo indie showcase going on right now, and they announced a side-scrolling beat-em-up called Tunche, which includes Hat Kid as a playable character.

Tunche looks awesome. It looks like it's gotten some acclaim on Steam already through demos, too. Think this might be a day-one buy for me.

Also, Hat Kid's just there. No explanation, just Hat Kid. Just because. I love it.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
may play it just for hat kid. thats pretty much how i got into soul calibur, they had link

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've been playing a lot of A Hat In Time recently - I've got almost all of the base game content (at least in terms of the Time Pieces - I'm not going to worry about the cosmetic items, since as far as I can tell, it's impossible to actually get all of them on any version that isn't the PC version with customized levels due to a lack of tokens), with 39/40 Time Pieces.

I think the 40th Time Piece is the final boss, but I want to 100% complete the game, so I'm trying the DLC. Is it just me, or are the DLC missions more difficult than the base game?

I'm not sure which one to tackle first (Nyakuza Metro is unlocked before Seal the Deal, but Seal the Deal is labelled as Chapter 6 while Nyakuza is labelled as Chapter 7), but Nyakuza Metro seems more like an open world setting than the rest of the game (to the point where there's a guide to help you find which way to go), while the Pink Rift in Seal the Deal seems significantly more difficult than any other Pink Rift that I've encountered. (large areas with tricky platforming, a ton of storybook pieces, and barely any healing items)

From what I've seen, there are sixteen other Time Pieces added through DLC (five in Seal the Deal, ten in Nyakuza Metro, and one in Hat Kid's spaceship after you get every other Time Piece), so I'll probably go with Seal the Deal first since there are less Time Pieces and it was released first. Still, I wanted to know if not many people consider this to be a difficulty spike, or if other people feel the same way.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You know I don’t remember it don’t think there was

Wait no some of them were pretty tricky

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
You know I don’t remember it don’t think there was

Wait no some of them were pretty tricky
Okay - I'll look up a video of that rift, and maybe there's some strategy that I'm missing out on or not thinking of. (I got all of the storybook pieces, but I died since I only had one HP and needed to find three of the Rift Pons)

Edit: I beat the game 100%! (Not counting cosmetics or Death Wish challenges)

Last edited:
Top Bottom