• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Smash In Time - Hat Kid for Smash Bros.!

Paraster

Smash Lord

(image created by hextubleyoodot for Smashified)

Where Who is Hat Kid?
Hat Kid is the protagonist of the 2017 indie platformer A Hat In Time. She travels through space in a luxurious spaceship on a voyage home. However, a run-in with a Mafia member above a planet 5 lightyears from home leads to her power source--mysterious hourglasses called Time Pieces--getting scattered across said planet, forcing Hat Kid to embark on an adventure to get them back. Along the way, she encounters a variety of quirky individuals such as a mafia of identical people, a pair of dueling bird directors, a contract-writing ghost, and a mustachioed young girl with a strong lust for justice.

Hat Kid is given a lot of personality despite having very few lines of dialogue. In her idle animations and taunts, she is seen playing "now kiss" with toys, blowing raspberries and kisses, hopping happily, and doing a weird waving dance while wearing a smug face. She yells "DOWN WITH THE MAFIA!" after stealing her umbrella, really gets into the movie diva lifestyle, and shows a surprising lack of altruism for a platformer protagonist--her journey is largely motivated by her own interests, and she usually shrugs off the concerns of others if it doesn't net her Time Pieces.

Why should she be in Smash?
With platformer characters like Mario, Sonic, and Kirby filling the roster, Hat Kid would fit right in. Her trusty umbrella and arsenal of abilities gleaned from hats and badges would help to make her a formidable opponent--she can summon a scooter, turn into an ice statue, fire a laser, throw explosive potions, and more!

Neutral attack - Hat Kid swings her umbrella, using the 3-swing combo she used in her game.
Dash attack - Hat Kid dives forward.
Grab - Hat Kid launches a tether with her Hookshot Badge.
Pummel - Hat Kid bonks her opponent on the head with her umbrella multiple times.
Neutral special - Brewing Hat: Hat Kid's hat is replaced with the Brewing Hat as she shakes an explosive potion, charging it up. It behaves like a charge shot, except the projectile is a gravity-affected explosive.
Side special - Scooter Badge: Hat Kid summons her scooter as her hat is replaced with the Sprint Hat. It behaves like the Wario Bike except faster, less damaging, and not being destructible.
Up special - Dweller Mask: Instead of a traditional recovery move, Hat Kid uses the Dweller Mask to make a spectral platform appear below her. The platform disappears after a few seconds, and the move cannot be used for some time (marked by a cooldown meter by Hat Kid's character portrait).
Down special - Ice Hat: Hat Kid turns into an ice sculpture and falls downward quickly. It does less damage/knockback than Kirby's Stone, but has an area of effect when it lands.
Final Smash - Hyper Zone: Hat Kid throws a Time Piece down and in front of her. When it collides with a surface or opponent, it bursts into a void that transports all opponents that get caught in it to the Hyper Zone (the rainbow arena from the finale). Victims are bombarded by Time Pieces from above before Hat Kid shoots a large laser from her umbrella at them.

There's also a decent amount of material from A Hat In Time that would fit well in Smash. You could get a decent stage out of locations like Dead Bird Studio, Subcon Forest, or the Arctic Cruise. The game's soundtrack would make for some good fight themes, like "Barrel Battle," "Your Contract Has Expired," or "The Battle of Award 42." And while I don't know how likely DLC assist trophies would be, imagine the Snatcher popping in to disable everyone's specials! (Okay, that may be a bit much.) Also, Xander Mobus voices the Conductor, and it would be amazing if he got another voice role for Ultimate.

Side taunt - Hat Kid blows a raspberry.
Up taunt - Hat Kid performs her knitting animation, ending it by showing off one of her hats.
Down taunt - Hat Kid takes out two figurines--likely of an owl and a Mafia, though potentially of other Smash characters--and slams them together before putting them away out of self-consciousness.
Victory pose 1 - Hat Kid performs her weird smug waving dance.
Victory pose 2 - Hat Kid jumps and spins, then throws her arm out, in a similar manner to her animation when collecting a Time Piece.
Victory pose 3 - Hat Kid, wearing double sunglasses, does a series of diva poses for unseen photographers OR for visible fans (likely moon penguins).
Victory music - A remix of the "Time Piece Get" jingle.
Colors/costumes - Almost certainly derived from Hat Kid's preexisting alternate colors/costumes from the game. Specific costumes of note are the parade, detective, and Virtual Kid outfits.
Boxing Ring title - "Temporal Cutie-Pie" or "Fashionista Out of Time"
Series emblem - A sillhouette of either a top hat or a Time Piece.
Classic Mode - Fighting a series of characters from platform games.

On top of that, adding Hat Kid would hold some symbolic value. As of this writing, there are no playable indie characters in Smash, even though Ultimate seems to be easing towards that with increased indie representation (most notably, Shantae appearing as a spirit and Shovel Knight becoming an assist trophy (and then there's the Sans costume, which didn't yet exist when this thread began)). Hailing from a game heavily inspired by Nintendo classics, which is also receiving a Switch port before too long, Hat Kid would be a worthy representative for the wide world of indie games.

Paraster, Parallel_Falchion, KirbyWorshipper2465, chocolatejr9, Sari, Llort A. Ton, Crap-Zapper, smash puffle, Mastermiine, CboyC95, Taylor F, SSGuy, Sebas22, M00NFIRE94, Adelto, UnknownJ25, GothFluttershy, Geoffrey Druyts, SharkLord, LiveStudioAudience, OnyanRings, DjangoBreeze, GillyGrime, ahemtoday, THE 6r

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Sign me up!

A Hat in Time was actually the first Kickstarter I ever backed and the game is quite charming.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yo, signing up for support as well.

Prospects for her showing up can increase if AHIT gets any sequels. However, it would still need to make an impact in Japan, most of all, since I don't think it's been exported there.

Also, can we appreciate for a moment how versatile Mobus is? Voices for 5 different characters, and they sound almost all distinct from each other.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
It'll never happen but I definitely support. A Hat in Time is one of my favorite indie games and Hat Kid would fit in well with the rest of the cast.

Paraster

Smash Lord
I wrote up a potential Palutena's Guidance conversation for Hat Kid.

Pit: Another little kid? How do they keep ending up here?
Palutena: Well, none of them are ordinary children! This girl happens to be an alien who possesses magical hats and time-controlling artifacts! She's known as Hat Kid, but her real name is--wait a second. ... Hold on, Pit, someone else wants to be patched through.
Pit: Someone else?
Conductor: Aye, so this is where the lassie ran off to after she left the planet!
Pit: WHOA! Who are you?
Conductor: What; you've never heard of the Conductor?! Winner of so many Annual Bird Movie Awards I've lost count?!
Palutena: Sorry; your movies don't get exported to our planet.
Conductor: Hmmph. Figures! Anyway, if you're fightin' the lass, here's some tips from someone who's seen her fight in person! She gets most of her work done by swingin' that umbrella around, but you'll have to watch out for her explosive potions and that visor that speeds her up quite a bit!
Pit: Uh, thanks for the advice, but why are you sharing all this?
Conductor: Me crew's on lunch, and I needed SOMETHIN' to do.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Good news, hat children! It seems the game will be coming soon to Switch.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...rding_to_the_gears_for_breakfast_support_page

I wrote up a potential Palutena's Guidance conversation for Hat Kid.

Pit: Another little kid? How do they keep ending up here?
Palutena: Well, none of them are ordinary children! This girl happens to be an alien who possesses magical hats and time-controlling artifacts! She's known as Hat Kid, but her real name is--wait a second. ... Hold on, Pit, someone else wants to be patched through.
Pit: Someone else?
Conductor: Aye, so this is where the lassie ran off to after she left the planet!
Pit: WHOA! Who are you?
Conductor: What; you've never heard of the Conductor?! Winner of so many Annual Bird Movie Awards I've lost count?!
Palutena: Sorry; your movies don't get exported to our planet.
Conductor: Hmmph. Figures! Anyway, if you're fightin' the lass, here's some tips from someone who's seen her fight in person! She gets most of her work done by swingin' that umbrella around, but you'll have to watch out for her explosive potions and that visor that speeds her up quite a bit!
Pit: Uh, thanks for the advice, but why are you sharing all this?
Conductor: Me crew's on lunch, and I needed SOMETHIN' to do.
I understood that cameo reference.

Last edited:

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
Count me in!

Though I think red skin should be mustache girl and green should be the co-op girl!

Stage!

Songs! * = Smash Remixed

A Hat in Time - Main Theme
A Hat in Time - Main Theme*
A Hat in Time - Welcome to Mafia Town
A Hat in Time - Welcome to Mafia Town (Qumu Remix)
A Hat in Time - Mafia Town is Asleep
A Hat in Time - Mafia Town is Asleep*
A Hat in Time - She Came from Outer Space*
A Hat in Time - Mafia Boss' Big Showdown*
A Hat in Time - Mafia Boss' Big Shodown (AdulescensFMusic Remix)
A Hat in Time - Heating up Mafia Town*
A Hat in Time - No More Mafia Boss/Scootin' Through Mafia Town*
A Hat in Time - Dead Bird Studio*
A Hat in Time - Picture Perfect
A Hat in Time - Picture Perfect*
A Hat in Time - Picture Perfect (Carlos Eiene Remix)
A Hat in Time - Train Rush
A Hat in Time - Trainwreck of Electro Swing - (a must have!)
A Hat in Time - The Annual Bird Movie Award*
A Hat in Time - Dead Bird Studio Basement*
A Hat in Time - The Battle of Award 42
A Hat in Time - Scootin' Through Subcon Forest*
A Hat in Time - Subcon Village (Echorobot Remix)
A Hat in Time - Your Contract Has Expired
A Hat in Time - Alpine Skyline*
A Hat in Time - The Lava Cake Peak*
A Hat in Time - Alpine Skyline at Night
A Hat in Time - Scootin' Through Clocktowers Beneath The Sea
A Hat in Time - You Are All Bad Guys

Thoughts?

CboyC95

Smash Apprentice
If this were to be the case, then let's have Bow Kid as an echo fighter.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
I support her, but I think the only way she's getting in, is if the game actually gets released on the Switch.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I'm already rooting for a different indie character but if Hat Kid ever happened, I wouldn't even be mad.

I support her, but I think the only way she's getting in, is if the game actually gets released on the Switch.
Yeah I'm waiting on the Switch version myself also.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
Gave it a try and I'm happy with the results (Still, I wish for an update that adds more space to the builder!)
Here's Nyakuza Metro. I'll do more Hat in Time stages in the future.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I don't think she has a chance but damn wouldn't it be cool?I support her clearly

D

Deleted member

I don't think she has a chance but damn wouldn't it be cool?I support her clearly
Basically this.

Honestly, she does have a chance, but it’s a tiny one. I’m still all for her, though.

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
I absolutely loved Hat in Time so I'm on board with hat kid. Add me to supporters

D

Deleted member

Anyone know how to use uModel? I intend on making some victory animations and need help with the port.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
That would be me, evening, folks!
Hat_Kid_Transparent.png

I'm a time traveling explorer! No area is too dangerous for me and my umbrella.
My mission is to find all the timepieces so I can go home!
I wish it was that easy...

Who is Hat Kid?
Hat Kid is the human-like alien protagonist of A Hat in Time, an indie 3D platformer funded via Kickstarter and inspired by the 3D Collectathons of old, such as Super Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie. Ironically enough, despite starting development in 2013, the game wouldn't release until 2017, around the same time another game attempting to return to these same roots would release; Super Mario Odyssey.

From parts unknown, Hat Kid's time-powered spaceship is broken into by a member of the Mafia of Cooks on a planet she's passing by, causing her to lose all of her Time Pieces, which are vital to fueling her flight home. From there, she has to embark on a planet-wide quest to recover all 40 of her Time Pieces (56 with both DLC packs installed), by any means necessary. She'll make friends-turned-enemies and enemies-turned-friends alike along the way!

Why Add Hat Kid?
Hat Kid in Smash would be a wonderful achievement for the indie gaming scene, as at the time of writing this, no character debuting from an indie game has made it into Smash as a playable character. The closest we have to that as of right now is Shovel Knight of Shovel Knight fame as an assist trophy, along with a couple Spirits from his game, and Shantae from the Shantae series as a spirit, along with a Spirit of her rival, Risky Boots. Although not a Nintendo-exclusive, originally releasing for PC and then Playstation 4/Xbox One a couple months later, a port of the game is finally coming to Nintendo Switch this upcoming October.

Hat Kid's kit provides excellent moveset potential. Hat Kid's movement system in her home game is fast and fluid, sporting a double jump, wall climb, wall jump, and a dive ala Super Mario 64 that can be executed and cancelled into a jump from the ground or in midair. Beyond the basics, she has an array of hats and badges that provide her with plenty of abilities! Use the Sprint Hat for to start running at breakneck speeds, the Brewing Hat to charge up and then throw explosive potions, the Ice Hat to turn into a frozen statue and crush everything beneath you, and more! Equip the Projectile Badge to turn your basic melee attack into a chargeable laser beam, the Fast Hatter badge to reduce the cooldown on your hat abilities, the Scooter badge to ride in style, and more!

Points in Hat Kid's Favor
  • Her home game was inspired by Nintendo and Rare's 3D platforms of old and new, and draws lots of inspiration from Nintendo games in general with its designs and mechanics.
  • A Hat in Time is soon to be ported onto the Nintendo Switch.
  • Moveset potential is certainly there; potential for an acrobatic movement system compared to other fighters, special moves using the abilities of her hats, and/or a badge system that allows for customization of playstyle.
  • Heckin' cute
Points Against Hat Kid
  • An indie property, which as stated above, one has yet to become playable in Smash and if one can even reach that status is currently unknown.
  • Originated on PC, and was ported to other systems first, only now being ported to a Nintendo platform.
  • Not quite as popular as other highly-requested indie characters for Smash, such as Shovel Knight, Shantae, Sans/Frisk, etc.
  • Still heckin' cute though

Other Content

Bow Kid
Co-op_girl_teaser.jpg
Hat Kid's Player 2, the Luigi to her Mario, Bow Kid! She's the game's co-op partner, introduced in the Seal the Deal DLC pack. She could either function as an alternate costume slot akin to Alph for Olimar and the female Pokemon Trainer for the male Pokemon Trainer, or become an Echo Fighter with minor differences from Hat Kid.

Alternate Costumes
Hat Kid unlocks various cosmetics through out her adventures, from alternate color palettes for her whole outfit to new designs for her hats, or even brand new ensembles for her to wear, the combinations are far too many to list here!
Take a glance for yourself, Smash wouldn't be too hard pressed for choices for Hat Kid's/Bow Kid's alternate costumes.

Music
Her Spaceship
Welcome to Mafia Town
She Came From Outer Space
Mafia Boss' Big Showdown
Dead Bird Studio
Picture Perfect
Train Rush
The Battle of Award 42
Subcon Forest
Toilet of Doom
Your Contract Has Expired
Alpine Skyline
Clocktowers Beneath The Sea / Scootin' Through Clocktowers Beneath The Sea
You Are All Bad Guys (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3)
Collapsing Time Rift
Rush Hour

Hat Kid Supporters

Author's Note: I personally believe Hat Kid has little chance to get in Smash at this current point in time, especially compared to other big name candidates. But one can dream, eh? I want to at least show my support and spread the word for her possible eventual addition to the roster of Ultimate or a future entry in the series.
Sorry for all the confusion, I couldn't find a support thread for her anywhere, it apparently wasn't documented in the support thread directory. I have no problem moving things over here, though. And hey, at least this debacle got people talking about her again! Add me to the list of supporters as well, if you could.

In light of recent events, aka Sans from Undertale appearing as a Mii costume (with a Megalovania remix from Toby Fox himself to boot), I believe Hat Kid's chances, while still small, have skyrocketed compared to before this. A playable indie rep seems even more plausible than before, and with who knows how many DLC fighters coming after the Fighter's Pass and A Hat in Time very soon being available on Switch, I'd say her chances are becoming more and more likely.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If she gets in as a Mii Swordfighter costume, then I hope she brings some of her music with her too.

Would prefer her be her own hecking cute character but hey, when you're competing with Banjo and Crash Bandicoot I'll take what I can get

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yo, looks like the Switch port will arrive safely with the DLC!

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Giving this thread a bit of a bump to advertise that A Hat in Time is currently on sale on Steam for 50% off, making it $14.99. Additionally, a bundle that includes the base game, the two DLCs, and a base game and B-Side soundtrack is 65% off and going for $19.90. The individual parts of the pack are also all going for 50% off. The sale lasts until January 2nd!

If you're interested in the game and curious if Hat Kid is a character you wanna support for Smash, I'd highly recommend picking up the PC port of this game. Provided your computer isn't a complete potato, it runs decently well, and access to the Steam Workship gives you lots of cosmetic options, modded levels, and more that you can't get on the console ports.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so i got a hat in time and started it earlier today and you know we need more characters who attack with umbrellas and hat that grant powers

TheRockingGoomba

Smash Cadet
I haven't played much of Hat in Time, i'm only up to the second chapter. But Hat Kid seems like she would be a fun inclusion in Smash, and the music that would come along with her would be great. A Mafia Town stage would be cool as well.
The main reason why i want her in is honestly just to make my friend happy.
Also
Hat Kid Kirby

D

Deleted member

This thread is dead
Y'all are peck necks for not keeping the discussion going
Put me on that supporter list please, Paraster Paraster

Paraster

Smash Lord
i wonder what her final smash would be
I imagined a concept for that a while back.
"Hyper Zone": Hat Kid throws a Time Piece diagonally downward like Mustache Girl does in the transition between phases 1 and 2 of her boss fight. Anyone caught in the ensuing burst is transported to the Hyper Zone, where Time Pieces rain down on them before Hat Kid fires a big blast with the Projectile Badge.

Top Bottom