• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Smash Bros. series data and statistics spreadsheet

GFD

Smash Cadet
I made a huge spreadsheet with a bunch of data and statistics about elements of all the official Smash Bros. games. This originally started as a spreadsheet for looking at gender distribution across fighters and games, but I ended up expanding it to include a whole bunch of other elements and brush up on spreadsheet skills. I thought I'd share it to see if anyone else finds it useful. I think this is the right place to post this.

Here's a summary of the data on this spreadsheet:
  • Fighters, assist trophies, enemies, and bosses by
    • Name
    • Universe
  • Items, stages, and trophies by
    • Name
    • Universe
    • Game inclusion
  • Tour events by
    • Character name
    • Universe
    • Track name
    • Universe
    • Source material
    • Remix or original
    • Game inclusion
  • Stickers by
    • Name
    • Universe
    • Game
    • Effect
    • Strength
    • Applicable fighters
  • Headgear and Outfits by
    • Name
    • Universe
    • Applicable Mii Fighters
    • Availability
Here are some interesting facts I've discovered while making this:
  • Mewtwo is the only truly genderless fighter.
  • Excluding DLC, SSB4 is the only game to not have at least one male, female, and gender-neutral newcomer from every previous Smash game; it has no gender-neutral Melee newcomers, due to the exclusion of Ice Climbers.
  • SSB4 has twice as many female fighters as Melee. With Mewtwo included, SSB4 also has twice as many fighters as Melee.
  • Brawl has the largest increase of male fighters in its roster (10); this is more male fighters than are in Smash 64, which has the highest male fighter ratio. Brawl is also the only game to have a higher ratio of male fighters than its predecessor.
  • Excluding DLC, SSB4 is the first game to not have a larger increase in male fighters than female fighters from the previous game (both increase by 3).
  • SSB4 has as many gender-neutral newcomers as all the previous games combined.
  • No explicitly female fighters have ever been excluded from a future game.
  • The Bumper is the only item to be re-added.
  • Brawl and SSB4 both introduce 24 new items.
  • There are always more male assist trophies than female and gender-neutral ones combined.
  • The Polar Bear is the only enemy to be re-added.
  • There are no explicitly female enemies, bosses, or Smash Tour event characters.
  • The only universes without any songs in any games are Subspace and, amazingly enough, Electroplankton (being based on the musical video game).
  • Dr. Wily is the only trophy in both versions of SSB4 to have a completely different model in each.
  • The Cream & Cheese trophy comes before the Chao trophy on the 3DS, but after it on the Wii U.
  • The trophy depicting some generic pipes from the Super Mario Bros. games is named "Pipe" on 3DS, but "Pipes" on Wii U.
  • Both versions of SSB4 have a trophy named "James McCloud", but they are completely different trophies.
  • The only two universes that have never had any trophies are Nintendo DS and Electroplankton.
  • The fighter that can use the most stickers is Yoshi, able to use 437 of them.
Sakurai fact corner:
  • The single non-Smash video game with the most musical representation in the history of Super Smash Bros. is Kid Icarus: Uprising, with both the most songs across all Smash games (11), and the most songs within a single Smash game (9 in SSB4 Wii U). In SSB4 3DS, it is tied with Kirby's Dream Land for the most songs (both have 6).
  • The Kid Icarus universe is tied with the Super Mario Bros. universe for the most enemies in SSB4 3DS (both have 19). The universe with the third-most is Kirby (8).
  • The Kid Icarus universe has the third-most enemies out of all the enemies in the history of all Smash Bros. games (19), beaten only by Subspace (38) and Super Mario Bros. (20).
  • The Kid Icarus universe has the second-most trophies exclusive to SSB4 3DS (43), beaten only by Super Mario Bros. (49).
  • The Kirby universe has the third-most trophies exclusive to SSB4 Wii U (28), beaten only by Pokémon (33) and Super Mario Bros. (49).
  • The Kid Icarus and Kirby universes have the fourth and fifth most items in SSB4 (6 and 5 respectively), beaten only by The Legend of Zelda (8), Super Smash Bros. (17), and Super Mario Bros. (19).
  • In SSB4, the Kid Icarus and Kirby universes have more fighters than 18 other universes with fighters, and less fighters than only 4 other universes. They tie with the Super Smash Bros. universe (each having 3).
This spreadsheet probably has a lot of problems. If you think anything should be changed or added, feel free to post about it. Just keep in mind that there are a lot of special cases everywhere, which I've tried to indicate with notes on the cells. If a cell has a black triangle in the top-right, hover your mouse over it to read its note.

This spreadsheet especially has problems in terms of gender classification in several areas. However, the Smash Bros. games themselves are very inconsistent about gender. One example is that the Yellow Devil trophy uses "it" pronouns in NTSC, but male pronouns in PAL. So, is the Yellow Devil male, or what??? Ugh.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I made a huge spreadsheet with a bunch of data and statistics about elements of all the official Smash Bros. games. This originally started as a spreadsheet for looking at gender distribution across fighters and games, but I ended up expanding it to include a whole bunch of other elements and brush up on spreadsheet skills. I thought I'd share it to see if anyone else finds it useful. I think this is the right place to post this.

Apparently you can't use hyperlinks in posts without having at least 10 posts, which is dumb. Instead, please enjoy copying and pasting this link: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pWMv2LBGm2xC1fzXFphCBCZTN9rKdXzcTUv_vG1LgfA/edit?usp=sharing
Here's a summary of the data on this spreadsheet:
  • Fighters, assist trophies, enemies, bosses, and trophies by
    • Name
    • Universe
  • Items and stages by
    • Name
    • Universe
    • Game inclusion
  • Tour events by
    • Character name
    • Universe
    • Track name
    • Universe
    • Source material
    • Remix or original
    • Game inclusion
  • Stickers by
    • Name
    • Universe
    • Game
    • Effect
    • Strength
    • Applicable fighters
Here are some interesting facts I've discovered while making this:
  • Mewtwo is the only truly genderless fighter.
  • With DLC excluded, SSB4 is the only game to not have at least one male, female, and gender-neutral newcomer from every previous Smash game; it has no gender-neutral Melee newcomers, due to the exclusion of Ice Climbers.
  • SSB4 has twice as many female fighters as Melee. With Mewtwo included, SSB4 also has twice as many fighters as Melee.
  • Brawl has the largest increase of male fighters in its roster (10); this is more male fighters than are in Smash 64, which has the highest male fighter ratio. Brawl is also the only game to have a higher ratio of male fighters than its predecessor.
  • SSB4 is the first game to not have a larger increase in male fighters than female fighters from the previous game (both increase by 3).
  • SSB4 has as many gender-neutral newcomers as all the previous games combined.
  • No explicitly female fighters have ever been excluded from a future game.
  • The Bumper is the only item to be re-added.
  • Brawl and SSB4 both introduce 24 new items.
  • There are always more male assist trophies than female and gender-neutral ones combined.
  • The Polar Bear is the only enemy to be re-added.
  • There are no explicitly female enemies, bosses, or Smash Tour event characters.
  • The only universes without any songs in any games are Subspace and, amazingly enough, Electroplankton, which is based on the musical video game.
  • Dr. Wily is the only trophy in both versions of SSB4 to have a completely different model in each one.
  • The Cream & Cheese trophy comes before the Chao trophy on the 3DS, but after it on the Wii U.
  • The trophy depicting some generic pipes from the Super Mario Bros. games is named "Pipe" on 3DS, but "Pipes" on Wii U.
  • Both versions of SSB4 have a trophy named "James McCloud", but they are completely different trophies.
  • The only two universes that have never had any trophies are Nintendo DS and Electroplankton.
  • The fighter that can use the most stickers is Yoshi, able to use 437 of them.
Sakurai fact corner:
  • The single non-Smash video game with the most musical representation in the history of Super Smash Bros. is Kid Icarus: Uprising, with both the most songs across all Smash games (11), and the most songs within a single Smash game (9 in SSB4 Wii U). In SSB4 3DS, it is tied with Kirby's Dream Land for the most songs (both have 6).
  • The Kid Icarus universe is tied with the Super Mario Bros. universe for the most enemies in SSB4 3DS (both have 19). The universe with the third-most is Kirby (8).
  • The Kid Icarus universe has the third-most enemies out of all the enemies in the history of all Smash Bros. games (19), beaten only by Subspace (38) and Super Mario Bros. (20).
  • The Kid Icarus universe has the second-most trophies exclusive to SSB4 3DS (43), beaten only by Super Mario Bros. (49).
  • The Kirby universe has the third-most trophies exclusive to SSB4 Wii U (28), beaten only by Pokémon (33) and Super Mario Bros. (49).
  • The Kid Icarus and Kirby universes have the fourth and fifth most items in SSB4 (6 and 5 respectively), beaten only by The Legend of Zelda (8), Super Smash Bros. (17), and Super Mario Bros. (19).
  • In SSB4, the Kid Icarus and Kirby universes have more fighters than 18 other universes with fighters, and less fighters than only 4 other universes. They tie with the Super Smash Bros. universe (each having 3).
This spreadsheet probably has a lot of problems. If you think anything should be changed or added, feel free to post about it. Just keep in mind that there are a lot of special cases everywhere, which I've tried to indicate with notes on the cells. If a cell has a black triangle in the top-right, hover your mouse over it to read its note.

This spreadsheet especially has problems in terms of gender classification in several areas. However, the Smash Bros. games themselves are very inconsistent about gender. One example is that the Yellow Devil trophy uses "it" pronouns in NTSC, but male pronouns in PAL. So, is the Yellow Devil male, or what??? Ugh.
This will probably come in handy, actually. Thanks!

chrisall76

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chrisall76
3DS FC
2921-9185-8763
Dunno if this confirms the gender 100%, but Pikachu uses all the male trainer hats while Jigglypuff uses all the main female's hats.

Last edited:

GFD

Smash Cadet
Never noticed that before! But I'd still say their gender is already confirmed as unspecified, since their trophy descriptions use "it" pronouns. Hats are just decorative.

GFD

Smash Cadet
I updated the spreadsheet to reflect Lucas' addition as DLC, by changing one cell. Took all of five seconds.

However, I also decided to add Headgear and Outfits. Not sure why I didn't do that earlier, honestly. The universe-orientedness of the DLC costumes made me realise I probably should. Now, I'm totally unaware of what the origins are for the stock headgear items. If anyone wants to fill me in, please do, because I have a feeling several of those are mislabeled as "N/A". I think I'm correct in assuming all the stock outfits don't have universes of origin, though.

Another small alteration was changing the Find Mii universe category into a broader StreetPass Mii Plaza universe. It just made sense to me. I also added that "N/A" universe category that thus far is only used by Headgear and Outfits.

GFD

Smash Cadet
I will not be giving anyone else access to edit this spreadsheet directly. Thanks for giving me your email address, though!

If you want to do your own analyses of the data, feel free to make a copy / download it.

Last edited:

Prodigy411

Smash Rookie
Oh my god.
You have ABSOLUTEY no clue how much this helps me...
Well, I'm working on a fan game (titled Super Smash Brothers Dimensions), and trying to get data like this has been stress filled. So, to have access to this chart, just to view...
OMG... I needed this greatly. Thank you.

GFD

Smash Cadet
I'm updating this spreadsheet again for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, if anybody finds it useful.
I changed the order of all the fighters in the main fighter list to match this numbered ordering from Ultimate, but "echo" fighters are kept at the top of the game they first appeared in, and are sub-ordered by their "parent" fighter.
I'm only marking things as confirmed if there is gameplay evidence. This means this has fewer stages listed than the Smash Wiki article, as they seem to be including any stages that are shown in related media. For example, a render of Halberd is shown on Meta Knight's character page on the website, but there is no gameplay footage of it. I've only reviewed gameplay from Nintendo's YouTube channel and the official Super Smash Bros. website, so if you've noticed an item or assist trophy from recorded demo gameplay that isn't in this list, please link me some footage.

Ultimate fact corner, E3 edition:
  • Ultimate has the lowest ratio of male fighters in the series, and the highest ratio of gender-neutral fighters in the series.
    • Super Bro. Smashers Brawl thus remains the only game to have a higher ratio of male fighters than its predecessor.
    • Despite adding another female fighter (Daisy), the ratio of female fighters in Ultimate has still declined as a consequence of the gender-neutral ratio increase, making it lower than SSB4, and even than Third-Wavedash Feminist Melee.
  • There is a perfect gender balance of Ultimate newcomers confirmed, with one male, one female, and one gender-neutral (as Inkling can be both male and female).
  • A whopping 50% of all gender-neutral fighters in Ultimate were newcomers to SSB4.
  • There are now exactly 10 female fighters and 20 gender-neutral fighters in Ultimate (and therefore also the entire Smash series to date). However, even combined, they do not outnumber the 38 male fighters (who thus make up 55.88% of the roster).
  • There are already more revealed stages for Ultimate than have been in any previous Smash game, featuring at least 73 over Wii U's 55. However, this is still less than the number of stages in both SSB4 games, which totals 84. And despite the already large number of confirmed stages, some existing exclusions are surprising, and indicate more stages are definitely still in development:
    • Pac-Man currently has no home stages. Toon Link also doesn't have a "toon-style" Legend of Zelda stage like Pirate Ship to call his own.
    • Several stages featured in both Brawl and SSB4 haven't yet been shown in Ultimate: Jungle Japes, Brinstar, Yoshi's Island (Melee), Flat Zone (as part of Flat Zone X or otherwise), Delfino Plaza, Pirate Ship, Halberd, and Smashville.
    • Two N64 stages featured in SSB4 also aren't yet confirmed: Peach's Castle and Kongo Jungle 64 (also featured in Melee).
  • So far, no items or assist trophies have been re-added in Ultimate that were absent in SSB4.

Last edited:

GFD

Smash Cadet
This is updated again in light of the recent Direct, which revealed many things, including the full stage list. I also made a minor but significant change to the way the stage list was structured: Battlefield, Final Destination, and Big Battlefield are now considered to be the same stage across all the games in which they appear. Despite being them all being technically unique in terms of assets and functionality (with the exception of the shared design between 3DS and Wii U), it felt misleading to classify them as different stages in the list.
More facts!
  • Presently, Ultimate has the lowest ratio of gender neutral newcomers of any game in the series (12.5%), despite having the highest overall ratio of gender neutral fighters (27.4%).
  • Metroid is the only universe that has fighters of different genders and yet is mostly comprised of female fighters. (This was true even before Dark Samus' reveal.) However, with the addition of Daisy, the Super Mario Bros. universe is very close to achieving gender equality, with 4 male fighters to 3 female fighters and 1 neutral fighter.
  • Presently, exactly half of the gender neutral fighters were newcomers to SSB4, while a paltry 5% of them are newcomers to Ultimate. Similarly, 36.36% of all female fighters were newcomers to SSB4.
  • More male fighters were newcomers to Brawl than anywhere else, with 30.95% of all male fighters being Brawl newcomers.
  • Ultimate has 86.09% of all past stages, lacking only 15. This ratio is far beyond any previous game; the closest is Wii U with DLC, at 29.69%.
    • The excluded past stages are distributed as follows: 2 from N64, 4 from Melee, 2 from Brawl, 2 from 3DS, and 5 from Wii U.
    • Every stage shared between the 3DS and Wii U versions was kept.
    • 6.67% of the excluded past stages are Poké Floats.
  • More stages in Ultimate are from Brawl than anywhere else, with Brawl stages comprising 26.21% of the full stage list. This is also the game with the most stages kept, at 93.10% of them.
  • Sonic the Hedgehog is now the only third-party universe to have multiple stages in a single game, with Ultimate having both Green Hill Zone and Windy Hill.
  • Castlevania is the only third-party universe with multiple fighters.

Last edited:

GFD

Smash Cadet
Recently, I received a Google Drive notification from someone that read as such:
Hi there!
I came across this spreadsheet and I think it's amazing. I'm wondering if I could collaborate with you in adding some debut date stats. I'm looking to add a debut game and a debut date to all of the elements in your sheet. If you've already done this, I'd love to know as well. Thanks!
Rather than reply by email (which seemed to be the only option available), I will make a post in response here.
This would certainly be useful information to add to the sheet generally. In the future, I would like to add the "appearances / related games" information to the trophies data sheet, which would also incidentally include fighters, stages, items, bosses, enemies, and assist trophies, by virtue of having their own trophies. I simply lack the time to do this presently. I don't plan to add this sort of information to any other sheets directly though, as it would be much more difficult and time-consuming.

As previously stated, I will not be giving anyone else access to edit my spreadsheet directly, as I would like to maintain complete control over it, but feel free to create a personal copy (File > Make a copy... or File > Download as) and modify it for your own needs.

Top Bottom