• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Second Pokemon Trainer Character?

What generation do you think would make a good second pokemon trainer?

• Total voters

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
so we could have them but not call them jessie and james?
Right. Even though Team Rocket in Smash is obviously Jessie and James, the game would simply call them "Team Rocket".

Same with how Pokemon Trainer in Smash is obviously Red and Leaf but the game still calls them "Pokemon Trainer".

Edit: Although I would love to see Pokemon Trainer's designs updated in a future Smash game. Instead of being based on FireRed & LeafGreen (a remake of Red & Blue), they would be based on Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee (another remake of Red & Blue).
1586902163347.png
1586902209528.png

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Right. Even though Team Rocket in Smash is obviously Jessie and James, the game would simply call them "Team Rocket".

Same with how Pokemon Trainer in Smash is obviously Red and Leaf but the game still calls them "Pokemon Trainer".
so yes

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Not this again. Team Rocket debuted in a video game.

Team Rocket's design in Smash (as a playable fighter and not as a Mii Fighter) would be based on the anime version. The Mii costume would still be based on the video game version.

We have Cloud. He debuted in a video game and yet he has an alternate costume that is based on the anime movie.
Yes I know team Rocket debuted in a videogame, but not this team Rocket specifically. Yes they appeared in Pokemon Yellow, but it still was after their anime debut. And the cloud alt is not his main alt either. One little reference to an anime episode isn't much, but these are full on characters, not a costume. Even with the generic naming, the characters still debuted in an anime, meaning theyre still not allowed. Cloud works cause his alt is not a fill character.

NeonVoid

Smash Journeyman
I've been kind of lazy, but I'm working on a simple moveset for Galar Pokemon trainer, mainly just because that's most likely (and I like Cinderace for some reason), but Team Rocket would be nice. I'll post here once I'm finished, but you can count me in for support

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yes I know team Rocket debuted in a videogame, but not this team Rocket specifically. Yes they appeared in Pokemon Yellow, but it still was after their anime debut. And the cloud alt is not his main alt either. One little reference to an anime episode isn't much, but these are full on characters, not a costume. Even with the generic naming, the characters still debuted in an anime, meaning theyre still not allowed. Cloud works cause his alt is not a fill character.
ive always felt that if there was ever an exception to the no non video game stuff it would be pokemon, clouds outfit may have debuted in a movie but it was a movie still set within the canon of the game and im not sure what to count the music from the pikmin ads as

but anyway the anime version of team rocket are in the unusual position of being non video game characters owned by nintendo, really itd be about how rigid sakurai is with the rule

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
so we could have them but not call them jessie and james?
Correct- and I don't think it would be wanted to call them that anyway.
If it was Team Rocket- they could have costumes that reflect every other evil Team.
And maybe even take some of those gimmicks (reference double battles or triple by having too many Pokemon out).
I think there is a lot they could do with a proper villain. Getting Meowth finally in would be a lifesaver.
And I have... moderate hope... that this could happen.

Or maybe we would end up with a new Pokemon character, and an additional that is an echo.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
ive always felt that if there was ever an exception to the no non video game stuff it would be pokemon, clouds outfit may have debuted in a movie but it was a movie still set within the canon of the game and im not sure what to count the music from the pikmin ads as

but anyway the anime version of team rocket are in the unusual position of being non video game characters owned by nintendo, really itd be about how rigid sakurai is with the rule
I'm honestly with you on the whole "if their was ever an exception" thing. They'd be probably one of the few non videogame characters who have a shot. But I'm not too certain right now honestly.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm honestly with you on the whole "if their was ever an exception" thing. They'd be probably one of the few non videogame characters who have a shot. But I'm not too certain right now honestly.
theres no way to be certain until it happens or sakurai says no

Last edited:

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
It's about keeping a fine line between the anime representation and game in this I reckon. This is why I don't think they'd use mechs and such; the villainous teams' and Meowth main focus aren't on using mechs and weapons besides in the show itself (or medias based off the anime stories')

They could instead rather focus on their thieving ability + Meowth's general abilities as well as assistance from the most iconic TR Pokemon; Wobbuffet, Arbok and/or Weezing for him. With TR being the most iconic by far villainous team in Pokemon and Meowth being the closest to a mascot for it, you could represent villainous teams in various ways by using the most recurring and used ones. Even giving them alts based on the other villainous team similar to how Pichu and the few others have accessory alts.

Basically; Meowth fights and generally uses moves a cat fighter (something we lack) + regular Meowth could do. But in addition could use a form of mechanic that calls assistance from the other's own Pokemon on the field + focusing on thieving aspects Team Rocket as a whole is known for since they play dirty (like stealing items or physical projectiles).
I'm not too sure how much Jessie and James could be implemented though. I think at best they'd either appear in taunts, the background (in the Meowth Balloon maybe) or victory screens.
Meowth should absolutely be fine though, especially as that same Meowth was a trophy in Melee, featured in several Pokemon games and majorly influenced Meowths in general in the same way as anime Pikachu (Like Gmax Meowth's cries using the same va from the anime).

So while not like the Pokemon Trainer mechanic we have (since you'd only be directly playing as Meowth), this could be something new we haven't seen before.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Okay, I don't know where to post this but here are some palette swaps and alternate costumes for Gary/Blue/Rival along with Bulbasaur, Charmeleon and Blastoise
Palette Swaps and Alternate Costumes
  1. Default (Rival), Default (Bulbasaur), Default (Charmeleon), Default (Blastoise)
  2. Gray Rival (PS), Gray Bulbasaur (PS), Gray Charmeleon (PS), Gray Blastoise (PS)
  3. Indiana Jones (AC), Yellow Bulbasaur (PS), Yellow Charmeleon (PS), Yellow Blastoise (PS)
  4. Origins Blue (AC), Shiny Bulbasaur (PS), Shiny Charmeleon (PS), Shiny Blastoise (PS)
  5. Classic Rival (AC), Blue Bulbasaur (PS), Gray Charmeleon (PS), Armor Blastoise (AC)
  6. Johto Rival (AC), Christmas Bulbasaur (AC), Christmas Charmeleon (AC), Christmas Blastoise
  7. Summer Rival (AC), Cake Bulbasaur (AC), Cafe Charmeleon (AC), Sunglasses Blastoise (AC)
  8. Sygna Suit Rival (AC), Hat and Scarf Bulbasaur (AC), Hoodie Charmander (AC), Hoodie Blastoise (AC)
Boxing Ring Alias: Pokémon Champion
Classic Mode Title: Smell Ya Later! s

Fighter Spirit
a68939f6309c0ca1cb9de0514a5f4e35.png
Spirit: Rival

Blue-original.png
Spirit: Blue (Pokémon Red & Blue)

HeartGold_SoulSilver_Blue.png
Spirit: Rival (Pokémon Heart Gold & Soul Silver)

Blue_Origins.png
Spirit: Blue (Pokémon Origins)

Spr_Masters_Blue_Sygna_2.png
Spirit: Blue (Sygna Suit)

Last edited by a moderator:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Second Pokémon Trainer? How about a villainous Pokémon Trainer?

Team Rocket would be perfect.

View attachment 201303

And Team Rocket's Pokémon?

View attachment 201304

Think about it. Team Rocket is iconic. Everyone in the gaming and/or anime communities knows who they are. They have been on the anime for 20+ years alongside Ash Ketchum and Pikachu. They were in at least three games - Pokémon Yellow (GBC, 1999), Pokémon Puzzle League (N64, 2000), and Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee (Switch, 2018).

When you pick Team Rocket, you are playing as Meowth but Jessie and James send out their Pokémon from the background to team up with Meowth.

Team Rocket would be two numbers (Pokémon Trainer is three numbers - #33, #34, #35). Why two numbers? Because the first number is Meowth and Ekans team and the second number is Meowth and Koffing team.

Jessie and James take turns summoning their Pokémon to team up with Meowth via Down Special like this:
  1. You are playing as :052::023:
  2. You press :GCD::GCB:
  3. Jessie calls back :023: and James summons :109:
  4. Now you are playing as :052::109:
Youre forgetting the Leader of Team Rocket (the ACTUAL team rocket not just one little Squad)

The Great Giovanni

Oracle Link

Smash Master
great? he's spent the last 25 years losing to 10 year olds
That became the Stongest Trainer in their Region

The Team Rocket Squad lost even more to ASH who is pretty mediocre as a trainer

also Everyone in Pokemon lost too "10" (theyre not always 10) year olds

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That became the Stongest Trainer in their Region

The Team Rocket Squad lost even more to ASH who is pretty mediocre as a trainer

also Everyone in Pokemon lost too "10" (theyre not always 10) year olds
Exactly Giovanni is just a big loser in a long line of losers

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Youre forgetting the Leader of Team Rocket (the ACTUAL team rocket not just one little Squad)

The Great Giovanni
But Giovanni uses a normal Persian not Alolan Persian.
Also I don't think being an opposing comical character should be too much of an issue, see the likes of Dedede (not usually a real villain just fails to best Kirby often) or even K Rool in a lot of their media portrayal. Or not being the main leaders like with Plant or such.

Also as a sidenote, I think Giovanni beat Ash the one time they fought in a Pokemon battle in the anime, though through cruel means too.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Also I don't think being an opposing comical character should be too much of an issue, see the likes of Dedede (not usually a real villain just fails to best Kirby often) or even K Rool in a lot of their media portrayal. Or not being the main leaders like with Plant or such.

Also as a sidenote, I think Giovanni beat Ash the one time they fought in a Pokemon battle in the anime, though through cruel means too.
ive given him a alolan persian so that he uses less gen 1 pokemon and in general the persian is added for the anime fans i personally would give him alolan:051:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

remember when he was a ground type user?

Oracle Link

Smash Master
remember when he was a ground type user?
I definitly would prefer a version of Dugtrio over Persian but sadly Persian is more popular and of course Nidoking would be a main part of him

i just think having diffrent types (not the pokemon elemental types) of pokemon makes a tad sense for giovanni

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Giovanni is cool and all... but he has one fundamentally fatal flaw... he doesn’t have Meowth in his team and that’s a problem because I want to play as Meowth in Smash. That’s why I want Jessie and James... since they would logically have Meowth in their team.

Team Rocket for Smash!

D

Deleted member

Since the McDonald's Pokémon Happy Meal is being talked about, is the cards from the Happy Meal even usable for competitive play?

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
I vote for Bea.....as the one doing the fighting. Why not, she's a martial artist, she sparred with her Machamp & threw down with a Rhydon in the Twilight Wings series, I say it's high time a human from the Pokemon universe get their own hands dirty!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I vote for Bea.....as the one doing the fighting. Why not, she's a martial artist, she sparred with her Machamp & threw down with a Rhydon in the Twilight Wings series, I say it's high time a human from the Pokemon universe get their own hands dirty!
im fairly certain this thread is for characters working like the PT weve got rather than trainers fighting directly

Top Bottom