• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Second Pokemon Trainer Character?

What generation do you think would make a good second pokemon trainer?

• Total voters

TrashLad

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7561-8858-3881
It's not necessarily one of my wants for DLC, nor do I think it will actually happen, but I've been thinking about the idea of a second Pokemon Trainer character that uses starters from a different generation and I wanted to see what other people's views on the idea was.

I think the most likely options for this character would be either the Gen 3 trainer (with Treecko, Marshtomp & Blaziken) or the Gen 5 trainer (with Snivy, Dewott & Emboar) as those are the generations that have yet to be represented by a playable character in smash

Gen 8 could also be a possibility but we only know the first evolutions of the starters at the moment so I don't know what combination of Pokemon they would use

osby

Smash Obsessed
It sounds like one of the most unnecessary newcomer ideas in existance.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well as the one we have is a representative of all trainers it does feel very unlikely

still depending on the pokemon they brought it could be awesome

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not sure. Part of me says Gen 8 would do by eliminating the middleman of picking a starter, but the other part of me says Gen 3, if only because it was completely skipped over.

Then there's Gen 4, since it's the only way Grovyle fans can even get a bone thrown to them at this point.

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I gotta say I voted gen 2 because it's the only one I know beside the first one, and thus the only one I would like to see.

BreadnJamTomorrow

Smash Cadet
It sounds like one of the most unnecessary newcomer ideas in existance.
Tbh you could say that about any of the echos and semi-echos already in the game. Yet, they're included anyway.

Anyway, my idea for a second Pokémon Trainer is the absolute least likely thing to happen. My idea is that you play as Wes from Pokémon Colosseum and/or Michael from Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness. Your Pokémon would be Espeon and Umbreon, which can use moves like Psybeam and Swift, as well as Faint Attack and Dark Pulse. If we absolutely needed three 'mons, then maybe throw in Eevee with moves like Tackle and Sand Attack. And the Final Smash (depending on who you're playing as) would either be Ho-Oh using Sacred Fire (like he did in Melee as a Poké Ball Pokémon) or Shadow Lugia using Shadow Storm.

Considering that Nintendo and Game Freak forgot about these games plus the fact that Gen 8 is coming, there's no chance that this will happen. But damn it, I want it so bad.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Not sure. Part of me says Gen 8 would do by eliminating the middleman of picking a starter, but the other part of me says Gen 3, if only because it was completely skipped over.

Then there's Gen 4, since it's the only way Grovyle fans can even get a bone thrown to them at this point.
Do you mean Grotle? Cause Grovyle is probably more likely with the Gen 3 trainer than without.

Crescentium

Smash Cadet
Gen 3 since it got skipped and I wanna punch people in the face with Swampert (Seriously, Sceptile and Blaziken have Pokken, give Swampert some love already lol.)

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
I choose Gen 3 but was thinking of having the final evolution forms for all three Pokemon. Sceptile, Swampert and Blaziken. It would make an interesting heavy team.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Gen 3, because Mudkip, Groyvle and Blaziken are a perfect trio in my opinion. This is probably the only Starter trio where the three lines are equally popular, and Groyvle is most likely the most beloved out of all the middle stage evolutions for the starters. If we were to get a second Pokemon Trainer, I would hope that each of the trio use the Pledge Attacks instead, but having three different final smashes depending on the characters being played is a bit of a pipe dream.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Gen 3, because Mudkip, Groyvle and Blaziken are a perfect trio in my opinion. This is probably the only Starter trio where the three lines are equally popular, and Groyvle is most likely the most beloved out of all the middle stage evolutions for the starters. If we were to get a second Pokemon Trainer, I would hope that each of the trio use the Pledge Attacks instead, but having three different final smashes depending on the characters being played is a bit of a pipe dream.
This basically.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
in the eventuality of a new pokemon trainer happening (not gonna happen) i would prefer a non starter one... even if it keeps teh same philosophy of a small nimble damage racker, a zoner and a heavyweight with good recovery...
Just give me Litwick, Bisharp and Scolipede as a team DX

Tbh you could say that about any of the echos and semi-echos already in the game. Yet, they're included anyway.

Anyway, my idea for a second Pokémon Trainer is the absolute least likely thing to happen. My idea is that you play as Wes from Pokémon Colosseum and/or Michael from Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness. Your Pokémon would be Espeon and Umbreon, which can use moves like Psybeam and Swift, as well as Faint Attack and Dark Pulse. If we absolutely needed three 'mons, then maybe throw in Eevee with moves like Tackle and Sand Attack. And the Final Smash (depending on who you're playing as) would either be Ho-Oh using Sacred Fire (like he did in Melee as a Poké Ball Pokémon) or Shadow Lugia using Shadow Storm.

Considering that Nintendo and Game Freak forgot about these games plus the fact that Gen 8 is coming, there's no chance that this will happen. But damn it, I want it so bad.
While i dont care for neither of those dudes... i would totally go for a Espeon/Umbreon or Eevee/Espeon/Umbreon moveset XD...

Extra points cause they all can be clones with different properties, a different projectile and different elemental properties and still be super interesting.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Second Pokémon Trainer? How about a villainous Pokémon Trainer?

Team Rocket would be perfect.

1553613345609.png

And Team Rocket's Pokémon?

1553613369727.png

Think about it. Team Rocket is iconic. Everyone in the gaming and/or anime communities knows who they are. They have been on the anime for 20+ years alongside Ash Ketchum and Pikachu. They were in at least three games - Pokémon Yellow (GBC, 1999), Pokémon Puzzle League (N64, 2000), and Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee (Switch, 2018).

When you pick Team Rocket, you are playing as Meowth but Jessie and James send out their Pokémon from the background to team up with Meowth.

Team Rocket would be two numbers (Pokémon Trainer is three numbers - #33, #34, #35). Why two numbers? Because the first number is Meowth and Ekans team and the second number is Meowth and Koffing team.

Jessie and James take turns summoning their Pokémon to team up with Meowth via Down Special like this:
  1. You are playing as :052::023:
  2. You press :GCD::GCB:
  3. Jessie calls back :023: and James summons :109:
  4. Now you are playing as :052::109:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I'll go with the Gen not on the poll.

They'll annoy everyone and add more Gen 1 Pokemon, but then show that it's Blue with Blastoise and two other fan favorites like Gengar and Snorlax.

Alternatively they could merge Incineroar and Greninja onto teams of their respective Gens, saving them a bit of work as they'd already have part of the sets done. Major issue there being a means of swapping out Pokemon given that that is currently mapped to Down Special for the Kanto team. I really wish that weren't case. I miss Rock Smash on Zard and I'd like to see Squirtle and Ivysaur with a full set of specials too.

I kind of wish that Pokemon Change had been mapped to one of the extra jump buttons instead of taking up their Down Specials, but I doubt they'd ever implement a change like that.

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I think that a Pokémon Trainer called Pokémon Rival that has the appearance of Silver and uses Chikorita, Quilava, and Feraligatr wouldn't be that bad. I mean, Silver is one of the most iconic rivals in the entire series and think about it:
:152:>:007:
:156:>:002:
:160:>:006:
In older games, rivals used to pick the starter that had an advantage over yours. In a certain way, the Pokémon Rival could the villain of the Pokémon series.

odt

Smash Rookie
I think blaziken and groavile would be great characters to play. Mudkip could be fine too. I love gen 3!

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
If they did not do it for 7G, they will never do it again.
i have to admit that a Rowlett, Brionne, incineroar team would been sick..

Regarding the team rocket idea... is cool, but i rather have something a little less gen one...(with the exception of meowth which is the only mandatory one) i think that in the anime they managed to get a cool roster of mons.

suffice to say that i don't like teh anime... at all, (find it super boring) but i actually enjoyed the first season of gen 7th anime... and i really liked the Meowth/Wobufett/Mereanie/Mimikyu/Bewear chemistry they had. They could do something pretty fun with such a team.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Perhaps someone can correct me, but have we ever gotten a character that completely steals the one very specific and unique thing that made a prior character enter the ring?

Example: we do not have another paired fighter (and quite frankly I think of it as irritating when one character idea need be described by explaining it in exact nature of another character).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Perhaps someone can correct me, but have we ever gotten a character that completely steals the one very specific and unique thing that made a prior character enter the ring?

Example: we do not have another paired fighter (and quite frankly I think of it as irritating when one character idea need be described by explaining it in exact nature of another character).
to be fair pt thing was an expansion of zeldas thing

dezeray112

Smash Hero
If there were a second Pokemon Trainer, I would really like to to be someone who is a regional Champion (such as Lance, Cynthia etc) or perhaps someone from an evil organisation (such as Team Rocket etc.)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Sort of... they did end up playing similarly, but the ideas behind them were pretty far away (representing transformations, representing fighting with a team). The premise was not the same to me- and they were only ever in one game at the same time.

BigRedMonster07

Smash Cadet
Im just gonna use the idea that I had for a Pokemon trainer echo fighter...

My idea on how this could work.

The trainer is replaced with a character I would like to call pokemon rival
His main design is based of blue and he would have taunts and voice clips that make him sound cool, badass and slightly arrogant. Maybe, instead of the female alt, he could have an Us/Um alt with the beach shorts and the sunglasses.

for his three Pokemon, I thought I could get interesting.

:001::005::009:

Thus he has a first evolution that is strong against PT (hence :001:being effective against :007:)
he has a second evolution that is strong against PT (hence :005: being effective against :002:)
He also has a third evolution that is strong against PT (hence :009: trumping :006:)

:001: Is the same weight and speed as :ultsquirtle: but with the same moveset as :ultivysaur: with seed bomb for neutral special
:005: Is the same weight and speed as :ultivysaur: but with the same moveset as :ultcharizard:with slash for up special (how are you supposed to fly without wings?)
:009: is the same weight and speed as :ultcharizard: but with the same moveset as :ultsquirtle: with aqua jet for side special.

for the final smash, something involving the rivals other Pokemon form the games, eg. :018: :065: Or :128: or maybe something involving the eeveelutions.

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
i'd rather see PT's design playable once

i'd only want to see Blue/Gary as the final boss in PT's classic mode with :102: :058::130: as a mirror of PT's team. Type advantages on.

Last edited:

Mrplutoguy112

Smash Apprentice
I'd prefer to see gen 2 Gold and silver trainers take the spot. Since gen 1 occurred it make sense for gen 2 to be next.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
How about a grunt character ? Each alt would represent a different team.

Maybe they could be using pokemon regularely used by bad guys (Crobat, Raticate etc...)
Would be cool to have actual villains for pokemon, i don't really consider Mewtwo a bad guy since having an ominous-sounding voice doesn't really count.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
How about a grunt character ? Each alt would represent a different team.

Maybe they could be using pokemon regularely used by bad guys (Crobat, Raticate etc...)
Would be cool to have actual villains for pokemon, i don't really consider Mewtwo a bad guy since having an ominous-sounding voice doesn't really count.
Do the Aether Paradise employees really count though? I dunno.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

It's far from an echo.
An echo requires fewer resources.

A new Pokemon Trainer would take 3x the resources of a single new character.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I really don't think it was thought of that way-

Yes, it ended up working out that way- but at no point in the same game was this what happened.
The only game where Zelda and Sheik could transform, with Pokemon Trainer also in the game, forced Pokemon to have stamina. The mechanics ended up being similar between switching characters, but the theory behind the gimmicks was clearly from a different mindset- one was to create a supportive team (representing Pokemon), the other was to represent a character who could change itself (representing the Magic of Zelda).

If there were a second Pokemon Trainer, I would really like to to be someone who is a regional Champion (such as Lance, Cynthia etc) or perhaps someone from an evil organisation (such as Team Rocket etc.)
I really wish they would Add Team Rocket. I would not think of it working like Pokemon Trainer- I think they would have cheating gimmicks and use all sorts of traps and Pokemon at a time. It is a great way to get Meowth on the field (but not as a regular Pokemon), to use a Pokeball- trapping mechanic (the main item of the game is under utilized as a trap), and of course- another reflect (or two) via Wobbuffet.

I have been a long time advocate of this idea, as well as having Eevee, with an actual evolution mechanic.
To me, that would be the best way to round out Pokemon.

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605

Yes, it ended up working out that way- but at no point in the same game was this what happened.
The only game where Zelda and Sheik could transform, with Pokemon Trainer also in the game, forced Pokemon to have stamina. The mechanics ended up being similar between switching characters, but the theory behind the gimmicks was clearly from a different mindset- one was to create a supportive team (representing Pokemon), the other was to represent a character who could change itself (representing the Magic of Zelda).

I really wish they would Add Team Rocket. I would not think of it working like Pokemon Trainer- I think they would have cheating gimmicks and use all sorts of traps and Pokemon at a time. It is a great way to get Meowth on the field (but not as a regular Pokemon), to use a Pokeball- trapping mechanic (the main item of the game is under utilized as a trap), and of course- another reflect (or two) via Wobbuffet.

I have been a long time advocate of this idea, as well as having Eevee, with an actual evolution mechanic.
To me, that would be the best way to round out Pokemon.
Team Rocket can't join, at least not Jessie, James, and Meowth, while I would like them, the first appeared in the anime, any smash character has to debut in a videogame first.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

The only game where Zelda and Sheik could transform, with Pokemon Trainer also in the game, forced Pokemon to have stamina. The mechanics ended up being similar between switching characters, but the theory behind the gimmicks was clearly from a different mindset- one was to create a supportive team (representing Pokemon), the other was to represent a character who could change itself (representing the Magic of Zelda.
ok you’re responding to an old conversation i don’t recall and I’m sure you’ve entirely missed the point

.[/QUOTE]

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Team Rocket can't join, at least not Jessie, James, and Meowth, while I would like them, the first appeared in the anime, any smash character has to debut in a videogame first.
Not this again. Team Rocket debuted in a video game.

Team Rocket's design in Smash (as a playable fighter and not as a Mii Fighter) would be based on the anime version. The Mii costume would still be based on the video game version.

We have Cloud. He debuted in a video game and yet he has an alternate costume that is based on the anime movie.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Not this again. Team Rocket debuted in a video game.

Team Rocket's design in Smash (as a playable fighter and not as a Mii Fighter) would be based on the anime version. The Mii costume would still be based on the video game version.

We have Cloud. He debuted in a video game and yet he has an alternate costume that is based on the anime movie.
so we could have them but not call them jessie and james?

Top Bottom