• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Realistic Look at the SSBU Roster

XigmunGothar

Smash Cadet
Based on my original thought of 7 more characters, though I would agree with some previous posts that it could range from 4-12, I am expecting that we'll get 1 per month until the game comes out. Ridley and Daisy were June with E3. (We had already heard about Inkling.) Since Ridley (a brand new character) was the focus in June, I expect an echo in mid-July as well as one in September and in November. Brand new characters would be August and October, but it is likely to see one in September, too, because a NintendoDirect is usually then. Of course, it is always possible we get 1-2 bonuses we don't know about until after purchasing the game.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Smash 4's roster morphed in shape to fit the new DLC characters, with the final character you get making it asymmetrical, so you're right that the CSS isn't an indication of remaining slots. I imagine that, after DLC, we'll have between 70 to 80 characters total, so there will be some shuffling, for sure.
I want to imagine that at the very least the launch roster will look organized, even if the DLC characters misshape it later.

Based on my original thought of 7 more characters, though I would agree with some previous posts that it could range from 4-12, I am expecting that we'll get 1 per month until the game comes out.
Nah. I bet we get another Direct around GamesCon and another around TGS and each one maybe announces another character and another echo.

Last edited:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Alright, I may as well make another list going over why each character will be in.

Shovel Knight
Shovel Knight would be 1 of 2 third party reps to get in, my reasoning is that Nintendo really loves the character. Nintendo even helped publish Shovel Knight in Japan, and they (not the other way around) approached Yaht Club games about adding Nintendo exclusive content, which is why we got the Shovel Knight Amiibo. Other than that, Shovel Knight has appeared in numerous Nindie titles, and has gained a huge following, specifically with Nintendo fans. He was consistently talked about for the Ballot as most speculate that he was high up. And he would represent the indie scene, which is a scene Nintendo is trying to corner, and is a growing scene that I believe deserves representation in Smash.

With a mix of both fan and company love, I think Shovel Knight could stand a good chance as an indie rep.

https://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-is-publishing-shovel-knight-in-japan-346489.phtml
https://www.gamnesia.com/podcasts/t...-executives-really-like-shovel-knight-even-th

Rayman
It’s no secret that Ubisoft is very buddy-buddy with Nintendo. I think if there is to be any third party from a huge new company, than Rayman makes the most sense as a Ubisoft rep. He’s very loved by Nintendo fans as he did very well on the ballot. Other than his apparent uniqueness, Rayman would be a great new addition to the cast, rounding out the list of Platforming Legends, and giving Ubisoft their much deserved rep after being the most reliable third party after Sega and maybe Namco.

Also, Rayman had a trophy in Smash with a ‘new 3D model designed by Ubisoft’ hinting that there is a connection, and with Mario + Rabbids and other Ubisoft partnership projects with Nintendo, I feel he has the highest chances of any 3rd party.

King K Rool
I think Smash players are in agreement that he won the ballot, so nuff said. If you want to add though, then he would be a new villain in a list lacking from Smash.

Dixie Kong
She’s popular, a female, and the third main member of the DK crew. Dixie would be great in rounding out the Kongs, plus she can easily be a semi-clone of Diddy, having his moves except for an up air using her hair and maybe a side special where she uses her hair to propel herself. Other than that change the peanut gun to a gum ball shooter and she’s perfect.

Captain Toad
Toad has been requested for years, but now we finally have a very unique version, with a Toadette counterpart. Captain Toad seems to make the most sense for Mario as he represents a much wanted character (Toad) while providing his own move set. The fact that he has his own game also makes him likely.

Bandana Waddle Dee
He took 2nd place on the Japanese Smash Ballot. He’s also pretty much the missing 4th member of the Kirby crew and with him taking prominent roles in titles like Battle Royal and Rainbow Curse, along with being the first Dream Friend, I feel he has to come. Also, just to clarify, Sakurai didn’t work on Kirby by the time of his modern incarnation, so the Bandana Dee we know was probably created by Someone else.

Celica/Alm
EVERY NEW TITLE GETS THE NEWEST FE CHARACTER NO MATTER WHAT! Celica and Alm are part of the newest game in the franchise at the time of 5’s development, so one has to get in.

Rex and Pyra/ Elma
Xenoblade is taking on the Fire Emblem approach of changing characters every game, so I think what I said about Alm and Celica applies. It’s just hard to say which as Elma was before Smash development, but Rex and Pyra were fully designed only half a year after Smash began, and Sakurai is known for last minute additions, so Rex and Pyra are very possible.

Decidueye
He’s the new Greninja or Lucario. A big name Pokémon gets in every game, and since he’s considered overrated, I bet he will make the cut.

Spring Man/ Ribbon Girl
A fully new Nintendo IP! Yeah, I think it’s going to make it. ARMS started development before Smash, so it’s fully possible to have a character.

Impa
Zelda and Mario just had franchise changers recently, so it’s safe to assume a new character will join for both. Since BOTW doesn’t really have any new fighters though, I think Impa, one of the most prominent Zelda characters will take the rein. She’s in almost every 3D outing, and was a big player in Warriors, so I think she will be the first Zelda character to not be a version of Link or Zelda.

Obviously we will have a few Echo Fighters, so here’s my list

Octolings
With Splatoon being a highly successful new IP, I bet there will be a second rep, but since the second most important characters, the Octolings, are virtually the same, I think they’re an easy fit for Smash.

Dark Samus
Fans want more Metroid content, and Nintendo is putting more focus on the franchise in recent years. With the assist and outfit being absent from the game so far, I think this one is highly likely. Also, if the rumor about Retro shutting down is real, adding their creation would be a good way to honor their legacy.

Shadow The Hedgehog
A weird removal of an assist that was the second most popular character in the franchise. Shadow functions very similarly to Sonic, so an Echo could make sense as he does have a super form, and spin dash. Plus with Shadow’s more prominent roles in Sonic games like Forces or Team Racing, I can easily see him make his way into the cast.

Also Sonic has been in Smash for 3 games now, I think he’s the one third party franchise that honestly deserves two reps.

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
Newcomers:
Inkling
Ridley
Simon Belmont
King K. Rool
Skull Kid
Isabelle
Dixie Kong
Banjo-Kazooie
Waluigi (trust me)
Rayman

Echo Fighters:
Daisy
Richter Belmont
Chrom
Dark Samus
Shadow
Galacta Knight (still have hope)
Ken

XigmunGothar

Smash Cadet
I think that Shadow ε , Isabelle ε , Geno, and Karate Joe have each been MORE than teased at this point. Just my opinion based on the information available. I am hesitant to presume the chances for anyone else, though some definitely have better chances (i.e. Ken) than others (i.e. Waluigi - it's a no, people).

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
If i’m being as realistic as possible, at this point now I think we’re down to:

Gen 7 Pokemon
Issac
Geno
Bandana Dee
Banjo
Dixie
Sakurai WTF character.

As possible stand alone fighters. And

Isabelle
Octolings
Shadow
Impa
Ken

As possible echoes.

We wont get them all but I’d bet the remaining characters are amongst this list.

Last edited:
Top Bottom