• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Real FOX MATCH up GUIDE

AO2

Smash Rookie
Introduction
My name is AJ7 and i am a professional fox who has played against some of the best Brawl players such as Ally, Tech chase, And Lain. Although i was'nt sucessful in beating these players (although i did beat Tech chase in a defferent tourney) i happen to know the most about fox and how to play him. With the ban of metaknight underway he is no longer one of fox's hardest match ups. now there only remain two pikachu and sheik.

How to play fox
Fox has many advanages over a number of the cast. He is FAST so use his speed to keep your opponent guessing whats coming. The biggest mistake some fox players make is being predictable. this is something you can't afford because it makes the opponent feel as if he can rush you and gain an easy KO because they espect your next move. Use fox to take control of your surroundings on stages such as battlefield and smashville. platforms help fox bait some opponents into the air or fight how they would'nt normally. Fox has the ability to run away from characters with no projectile and Lazer them to force reckless mistakes. Fox has the best inside mix up game on ssbb. After a D air you can confuse your opponent by mixing up your follow ups:double ***, single jab, another D air, grab, pivot grab, shine,short hop B air, U tilt, Short hop N air. Fox can gain up to 50+ on opponents if they guess wrong when it comes to his mix ups from close range. Lazer at all times and keep moving. Foxs Lazer plays a Unique role in his play style. Because the Lazer does not stun people tend to run through them without blocking at hopes of reaching fox faster. This can help add consistent damage to the opponent at all times. When the opponent begins to get close you can choose to run and start the cycle over or begin Fox's mix up game and give your opponent something to think about. Fox has a very useful boost grab so use it often. A trick that i like using is to jump above someones shield and shine then right after that N air. People tend to think they can shield grab fox after the shine and drop there shield to be hit by the N air. When your opponent reaches percents where the up smash can kill 90%+ remember that your opponent is more tempted to block when they see fox run toward them this makes it easier to land grabs and do some wear and tear on there shield. the drill kick is perfect for wearing down a shield but do not spam this because it is unsafe if it doesnt land a hit. only use your drill kick for pressure when you see the opponents shield getting smaller. Always use a drill kick on a spot dodge because usually when someone uses a spot dodge they do it more then once so drill kick to take them out of this little annoyance. constant moving is required to master fox. Remember to LAZER LAZER LAZER make your lazer a part of your game. annoy your opponent with all your shooting.

MATCH UPs

Snake
Snake is one ssbb's powerhouses and has the ability to kill Fox earlier then most. Snakes U tilt packs a punch and can send you to your doom around 90+. The hit box on this move is very disjointed so watch for its long range. Snake can avoid your Lazer with his low crouch so learn how to run off the stage and jump back on Lazering so that your lazer is able to hit him in his low crouch. Snake nades start at 12% before entering the Q for a decrease in its damage out put. avoid getting blown up by these. force snake into the air and combo him but be careful because he may fall down with one of his powerful air move or pull out a nade to brake up combo strings. don't continuiously hit a snake pulls out nades in the air. Snake has no problem getting blown up to give you damage along the way. when close to Snake do not let him pound away at your shield tend to freeze up when snake begins mixing his jab with his tilts. when snake hits your shield try to hit him back with something to get close so you can begin your mix up game. when you land a grab always throw snake into the air with either down or up throw to follow up. Snake has a bad air game because the huge amount of landing lag on all his moves. watch out for snake when he falls down with his N air and after the last kick it auto cancels. If you ever catch snake coming up with his up b by the ledge grab him before he has the chance to grab the ledge but dont throw him or pumbel him just just let him so he can fall to his death unless he drops a c4 to blow himself up to regain his up b which he will most likely do. but from that c4 you get more damage on him and he may have to repeat this action in his hopes of gettin back on the stage. pay attention to where he drops his bombs and when plants a land mine (down smash) use Foxs F tilt and F throw to force him on his own mine. Snake is able to be shine locked so your obvious counter pick stage should be delfino plaza because of its many walls. F throw and F tilt help set up the shine lock. When snake has a nade in his hand Lazer him and you could blow it up when he prepare to throw it. This match up is 50/50 at best because Fox will have no problem killing snake just as snake will have no problem killing fox.

Falco

Falco is a very annoing match up if played wrong. his Lazers stun and lead into follow ups. But most of all his chain grab would happen to be his only true advanage over Fox. Although Fox can U tilt falco for a simular amount of damage. Falco is forced to approach in this match up do to Fox's ability to out camp him. Fox out camps falco by reflecting his Lazers then short hopping out of his reflecter when falco Lazer hit it to double or triple Lazer at falco. Falco has no true answer for this tech and often decides to approach. In this match up the platforms will be your home until you reach over 45% damage. once over that percent the true fight begins. Fox is a much better close range fighter then falco with a faster jab but with shorter range then falcos jab. he has much better combo ability then falco. Falco has a much harder time killing fox due to his speed and his in air shine stall. But fox on the other hand has no problem what so ever when it comes to killing falco. the up smash kills falco at 100% with no chance of living. Fox is a Over all better fighter then falco when forced to approach. Fox also controls the off stage fight as his shine is a almost ensure death for falco if shine out of his second jump or his fire bird (up B). this match up is 45/55 With Fox having the advantage.

Marth

Marth is Fox's hardest winnable fight in my opinion. Marth players have many options when it comes to keeping fox from comboing. his Up b being his "combo breaker" as i like to call it. His up b is a move that you will often have to predict while on your offensive assault. marth has very punishable move and very powerful ones as well. try to keep combos sweet and short because marth has no problem breaking them up with his f air and up b. a large stage would help in this match up because marth will have a harder time cornering fox. in This matchup you will play the "you can't catch me game". stay on the run because i fight is the last thing you want because of marths disjointed hit boxs and ability to space out a sweet spot from his sword. Run and Lazer him to death most marths don't even bother to block them so thats free damage. when marth closes in break the distance and repeat. make marth have a hard time catching you and he will begin to make mistakes. this is where capitalize. another trick that can be used in gimping marth is right before he up Bs to get back on the stage jump off and N air behind him. Fox be facing the stage when this is done and he must be behind marth off the stage. All and all this match up is 55/45 with marth having the advantage. (UPDATE) Marth is no longer a problem ive found i for sure way to crush marth. Marth players are MUCH slower then fox. Ive had much practice in this match lately and its become easy. SHAD will crush an aggressive marth. Running from marth and lazering him is the best thing to do but every once and a while get close to him to start some mix up then run and repeat. Marth will chase you all over the place taking unnecessary damage along the way. Most marths will be to aggressive and wont wait for long. Battlefield is the best stage for this fight because fox can use platforms better then anyone on brawl. Remember when marth is at 0% up throw to the top platform is a combo to any on foxs aerials. Down throw puts him on platforms for a follow up also. Marth can be beaten if your meta game is good with fox and you are not to eager for a follow up after a landed grab or attack.

Wolf

Wolf is the most powerful of the space animals when it come to KO strength. When fighting a wolf keep all of his little tricks in mind. he has a DACUS that slides far, his side B can go through some stages while on the ledge, and his F smash has a **** load of reach. Wolf players like to play the "take it to the air fight" many of wolfs air moves beat foxs. Wolf loves to constantly jump and B air your shield. don't let wolf force you into making it an air fight. run away and Lazer a jumping wolf. Make him fight on the ground and you will win. Keep in mind that wolf can gimp you with his shine fairly easy so don't do to much playing near the edge. you can also gimp wolf easily when off stage. i found out that if you are hit by wolf's up b and instantly begin to spam your shine, your shine will cancel his up b and he will by forced to try again and this leads to a gimp. this isn't a hard match up at all because fox can crush those who are forced to approach him. this match up is 60/40 fox has the advantage.

Kirby

Kirby is a fight that must be fought on stage and away from the EDGE!!!! Kirby is the master of come back in brawl and can inhale you and rob your of all three of your stock. this is not a match to rush so take your time. Kirby approaches from the air making it easy to land an unexpected U smash or to Lazer him which is something difficult to do while Kirby is on the ground. DO NOT approach Kirby when he is playing by the edge and don't try to edge hog or edge ground him unless there is a ensured stock for the taking. Kirby has a chain grab that could give him a possible 45% DI up out of the first grab to avoid this. use your D air to take him out of the air and follow up for more damage. Try to avoid letting Kirby gain your Lazer because a projectile makes him that much harder to deal with. Kirby can gimp easily but only if you try to fight him on the edge.Remember Kirby is Floats so he is easily juggled by U tilt. stay in the Middle of the stage and this is a even fight.

Fox

Fox always wins

Sheik

AVOID this match it is nearly unwinnable due to her F tilt lock.

Pikachu

This match up is not as completely unwinnible as most try to make it seem. pikachu's chain will not work when fresh at 60%. staying on platforms and fighting from there can help this match up greatly. and once above 60% this becomes a normal fight where fox is no longer at such a huge disadvantage.pikachu will not waste any time throwing out his down b when you are high above him so remember to always turn on your reflector. pikuchu is one of the few people fox out spaces so use this to your advantage. in my opinion this match up is 60/40 with pika having the advantage.

ICs

AVOID this match because fox has no good spacing move and is easily grabbed for a instant death.

MORE TO COME............Post QUESTIONS and I will ANSWER.

Reckless4Christ

Smash Ace
Sheik isn't that unwinnable,cuz her recovery is bad enough for down smash to mean trouble.She also lacks landing tools.
60-40
Pika is worse than you think as well.You barely outspace him,but he does have options for CPing like FD, which is terrible in this MU cuz of a lack of platforms.
70-30/75-25
Also, we don't have an advantage over Falco or Wolf.
Both are 50-50

Top Bottom