• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Real Fighting game spinoff for Smash

The Sparrow

Smash Cadet
NNID
SPTheSparrow
This thread isn't based on how realistic or possible the concept is, rather we'll make small discussion on if it'd be fun, copying the anime fighting game or 2.5D fighting game formula, and how the tier list might look if all the characters of Smash Ultimate were mashed into one fighting game. Do you think it'd be more like Capcom vs Marvel or Street Fighter? Guilty Gear or Persona 4 Arena?

Fibberkick

Smash Cadet
Imma come back later for this sounds very cool just don't have the time

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I could see a DBFZ style game that's more simplistic than most other hyper-fighters but still having a large amount of depth.
I'd definitely pay for that, especially if Nintendo are balacning it ONLY as a fighting game and not under Sakurai's wishy-washy "half party-game, half fighter" mindset he's had for Smash.
Honestly, I hope Capcom gets the honors, but I'd be just as fine with Arcsys taking up the reigns.

Plus, any sort of reboot is a chance to see Lyn in, so... Get on it Nintendo.

D

Deleted member

If it's a spinoff series then yeah, I'd be up for it! I'f prefer it to be handled by Arc Systems though. Namco Bandai's Tekken is fun, but I'm more interested in 2D fighters to be honest. Keep Capcom away from it though. The only thing I'd allow is their characters and that's it.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
To be honest, if a thing like this would ever be made I'd kinda like it if it was more like Dead or Alive because I like when these types of fighters allow you to knock opponents to other (usually lower) parts of the stage. Just, y'know, don't put such a focus on the jiggle physics as that's something I couldn't care less about, and we're good.

If not DoA then probably Soul Calibur-like. Soul Calibur II is the only 'typical' fighting game that I've really put a lot of time in. I can never get too much into Street Fighter, Tekken, any of the 'vs Capcom' games, Dead or Alive (despite enjoying aforementioned aspect of it) or even Pokkén Tournament. But Soul Calibur II, back then, really kept me hooked somehow. And I would say it was because it was Link, but while it was indeed Link that made me want the game in the first place, if it really was because of him then I'd also enjoy Pokkén Tournament for the Pokémon which I personally like even more than Link.

But yeah, regardless of what it would end up being, if such a game would come to be, I'd definitely check it out, but I can't tell for sure yet if it would keep me hooked. If it would have Yoshi playable though then that would already help a ton for me. :yoshi:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I still say the next best approach is a crossover Vs. game like Marvel vs. Capcom. In Nintendo's case it should be with Shonen Jump. The gameplay could be a hybrid of Smash and Dragon Ball FighterZ. This would be my ideal roster.

Nintendo:
  1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Peach
  4. Bowser
  5. Yoshi
  6. Wario
  7. Donkey Kong
  8. Diddy Kong
  9. King K. Rool
  10. Link
  11. Zelda
  12. Ganondorf
  13. Samus
  14. Ridley
  15. Pit
  16. Palutena
  17. Dark Pit
  18. Medusa
  19. Fox
  20. Pikachu
  21. Jigglypuff
  22. Mewtwo
  23. Lucario
  24. Kirby
  25. Meta Knight
  26. King Dedede
  27. Marth
  28. Roy
  29. Ike
  30. Lucina
  31. Shulk
  32. Inkling
  33. Spring Man
  34. Isaac
  35. Ness
  36. Captain Falcon
  37. Ice Climbers
  38. Mr. Game and Watch
  39. R.O.B.
  40. Little Mac
Shonen Jump:
  1. Goku
  2. Vegeta
  3. Gohan
  4. Piccolo
  5. Trunks
  6. Frieza
  7. Beerus
  8. Luffy
  9. Zoro
  10. Sanji
  11. Blackbeard
  12. Naruto
  13. Sasuke
  14. Sakura
  15. Gaara
  16. Orochimaru
  17. Midoriya
  18. Bakugou
  19. All-Might
  20. Todoroki
  21. Shigaraki
  22. Ichigo
  23. Rukia
  24. Kenpachi
  25. Aizen
  26. Gon
  27. Killua
  28. Hisoka
  29. Yusuke
  30. Hiei
  31. Kurama
  32. Toguro
  33. Medaka
  34. Joseph Joestar
  35. Jotaro Kujo
  36. Dio Brando
  37. Tsuna (Hitman Reborn Character)
  38. Gintoki (Gintama)
  39. Arale Norimaki
  40. Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star)

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
A Nintendo-based traditional fighter would best be its own thing, not as an offshoot of Smash.

And yes, it should be a vs. Capcom title.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Like Marvel vs. Capcom as well. My ideal Nintendo vs. Shonen Jump game would also have beginning and ending dialogues and rivalries.

For example.

Bakugou (Pre-fight): H-How can you even fight in such ridiculous shape!? You're an even bigger joke than Deku!!!! - To Blackbeard, King Dedede, King K. Rool and Wario
Bakugou (Post-fight): Do yourself a favor fatso by trying to lose all that weight, then maybe people like me will start taking you more seriously in a fight! - To Blackbeard, King Dedede, King K. Rool and Wario

Then for rivalries. King K. Rool and Blackbeard are rivals due to being villainous captains of pirates and despite being "fat" are relatively very strong.

As well as a few others.

Mario vs. Goku
Bowser vs. Frieza
Peach vs. Sakura
Dark Pit vs. Vegeta
Medusa vs. Orochimaru
Pikachu vs. Killua
Meta Knight vs. Kenpachi
Isaac vs. Gaara

Last edited:

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman
Like Marvel vs. Capcom as well. My ideal Nintendo vs. Shonen Jump game would also have beginning and ending dialogues and rivalries.

For example.

Bakugou (Pre-fight): H-How can you even fight in such ridiculous shape!? You're an even bigger joke than Deku!!!! - To Blackbeard, King Dedede, King K. Rool and Wario
Bakugou (Post-fight): Do yourself a favor fatso by trying to lose all that weight, then maybe people like me will start taking you more seriously in a fight! - To Blackbeard, King Dedede, King K. Rool and Wario

Then for rivalries. King K. Rool and Blackbeard are rivals due to being villainous captains of pirates and despite being "fat" are relatively very strong.

As well as a few others.

Mario vs. Goku
Bowser vs. Frieza
Peach vs. Sakura
Dark Pit vs. Vegeta
Medusa vs. Orochimaru
Pikachu vs. Killua
Meta Knight vs. Kenpachi
Isaac vs. Gaara
I was laughing this off until I realised that Takamaru vs Himura Kenshin would be a possibility

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
So you want a smash game with high-mid-low, or what? Melee is already a great fighting game. If Smash had continued in that vein, I doubt there would be much demand for this kind of game.

Quillion

Smash Hero
So you want a smash game with high-mid-low, or what? Melee is already a great fighting game. If Smash had continued in that vein, I doubt there would be much demand for this kind of game.
Yeah, I want a traditional Capcom-style fighter with Nintendo characters. Hell, the things Melee did could find a better place in Smash, especially Waveshining, which could be universalized into an attack dash canceling mechanic.

aarchak

Smash Ace
I would totally want it to be more like Blazblue, with a diverse selection of characters and more technical gameplay. As for making it accessible, stylish mode work for that. Stylish mode basically automatically does combos for you, and lets you do specials with one button, like Smash. I don't think the roster would be too big, probably about 20 characters at base, with more coming as DLC.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I would totally want it to be more like Blazblue, with a diverse selection of characters and more technical gameplay. As for making it accessible, stylish mode work for that. Stylish mode basically automatically does combos for you, and lets you do specials with one button, like Smash. I don't think the roster would be too big, probably about 20 characters at base, with more coming as DLC.
I'm not sure being super-loaded with conplex mechanics like BlazBlue is the way to go. DBFZ with its autocombos and less mechanics seems like a better model.

aarchak

Smash Ace
I'm not sure being super-loaded with conplex mechanics like BlazBlue is the way to go. DBFZ with its autocombos and less mechanics seems like a better model.
DBFZ is definitely the better example. When I was thinking Blazblue, however, I was thinking of its shorter combos compared to DBFZ, which has 10-second long combos. I don't think anybody want to just stand there and get beaten up for 10 seconds straight.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Any Shonen Jump is a no for me. I'd pass. I enjoyed BlazBlue and would be up for a Super Smash Bros. like it. Beautiful art, great music, nice combos.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
I think a Nintendo vs Capcom game would be cool, taking the format of MvC.
I even made a basic roster idea:
Nintendo vs. Capcom Roster.png

I tried my best to limit the Nintendo characters to who I thought would work best. My lack of Capcom knowledge by be showing as well, but I did my best with the knowledge I have.
Yellow characters are DLC.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Some more rivalries I thought of for my ideal Nintendo vs. Shonen Jump game.

Pit vs. Pegasus Seiya
Palutena vs. Athena (Fits perfectly being Palutena is based on Athena)
Dark Pit vs. Black Pegasus

Last edited:

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
Some more rivalries I thought of for my ideal Nintendo vs. Shonen Jump game.

Pit vs. Pegasus Seiya
Palutena vs. Athena (Fits perfectly being Palutena is based on Athena)
Dark Pit vs. Black Pegasus
What about King K. Rool or Captain Syrup vs. Luffy?
Another cool one would be Mewtwo vs. Frieza

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
What about King K. Rool or Captain Syrup vs. Luffy?
Another cool one would be Mewtwo vs. Frieza
I already got King K. Rool rivaled with Blackbeard.

As for Mewtwo vs. Frieza maybe. Having second thoughts on Bowser and Frieza being rivals.

Last edited:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
if a reboot/spinoff ever happened I'd rather see something like the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm franchise: a 3D brawler, with simple controls. I mean, if you're gonna change it, then change it all, from 2D to 3D. I think Ultimate Ninja Storm's somewhat simplistic nature would fit the Smash concept really well. CyberConnect2 could be in charge of it

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Other fighting games aren’t fun at all, so if they made a Smash game like a traditional fighter it’d suck too.

aarchak

Smash Ace
Other fighting games aren’t fun at all, so if they made a Smash game like a traditional fighter it’d suck too.
I mean, that's like, your opinion. But seriously, fighting games aren't fun until you get to a high enough level to really understand them, and that's part of the reason I like Smash: it's much easier to have fun at a low level.

Top Bottom