• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A question for Charizard players who have played Smash 4.

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
I'm sure that Charizard players from Smash 4 know that there are many, many, many scenarios in which Charizard would want to land from the air while using Rock Smash's super armor to tank a Dash Attack/running Usmash from the opponent, while hitting them, in order to escape a juggle. Since Rock Smash is removed from this game, what should be done in such a scenario? Neither Flamethrower nor Nair have close to enough priority to do what Rock Smash could do before.

1FC0

Smash Lord
You could switch to Squirtle. Pokemon Change acts as dodge and Squirtle seems like he is harder to juggle. Also I found that directional spotdodging can be a good option to get out of juggles.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Charizard has received a significant air speed buff, which helps Zard with landing somewhat. When I'm at too high of a percent that switching to Squirtle is risky, I try and use my triple jump to mix things up. When it's possible I try to go for a spaced Back Air since that move is powerful and safe on shield when hit with the tip, but the ending lag makes it risky. Once or twice when all else has failed I've even gone to the ledge, but that does put you in a ledge trapping scenario so that's still a really risky option.

Those are basically the same old tricks I used in Smash 4. Rock Smash was great in that game but it's also really high commitment so I only ever used it for hard reads or when I was really desperate. I've adapted to Ultimate Zard really well because of that.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
It's really just a mix up game. Triple jump, fast fall Nair, Dair, or switch to Squirtle and Side-B away. The scariest way to play Charizard IMO is confident and aggressive. If the opponent sees that you're not afraid to be above them, then they probably won't try anything. Fast fall Nair is probably the best option for this.

As the others have said, it's really all a mix up game and I'm sure it applies to the other heavies as well. Triple jump mixups, spaced bairs are good tools. But don't be afraid to switch Squirtle if you think it helps you land. If you like to play just 'Zard that's fine but really using all the tools for the character even with the little things are key. Using all three is the most optimal play style. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom