• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A "Psystriking" Discovery: The Mewtwo Moveset Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman

Previous Movesets (For Reference)

Normals

• Neutral Attack: Dark Flash (6%) → Dark Flame* (2-1%)

• Dash Attack: Dark Torch (9% at startup 6% during the rest)
Tilts

• Forward Tilt: Tail Whip (10%)

• Up Tilt: Tail Flip (10% at sweetspot 9-5% everywhere else)

• Down Tilt: Tail Sweep (9%)

Smashes

• Forward Smash: Shadow Blast (20% at sweetspot 12% everywhere else)

• Up Smash: Galaxy Force* (15% if all hits connect)

• Down Smash: Shadow Bomb (15%)

Specials

• Neutral B: Shadow Ball** (25% fully charged, 1% while charging)

• Side B: Confusion (10-8%)

• Up B: Teleport (Doesn't do damage)

• Down B: Disable (1%)

Aerials

• Neutral Air: Body Spark* (20% if all hits connect)

• Forward Air: Shadow Claw (14%)

• Up Air: Flip Whip (14% at sweetspot)

• Back Air: Tail Flail (13% at sweetspot)

• Down Air: Meteor Stomp*** (16% at sweetspot)

Throws

• Pummel: Dark Shock (3% each)

• Forward Throw: Multi-Shadow Cannon *(18% if all hits connect)

• Up Throw: Psychic Whirlwind (12%)

• Back Throw: Telekinesis (11%)

• Down Throw: Tail Slam (11%)

Normals

• Neutral Attack: Dark Flash (6%) → Dark Flame* (2-1%)

• Dash Attack: Dark Torch (9% throught)
Tilts

• Forward Tilt: Tail Whip (10% at tip, 8% in middle, 6% close)

• Up Tilt: Tail Flick (10% close, 8% in middle, 6% at tip)

• Down Tilt: Tail Sweep (9% close, 8% middle, 5% tipped)

Smashes

• Forward Smash: Shadow Blast (20% in blast, 12% on arms)

• Up Smash: Galaxy Force* (17% if all 7 hits connect)

• Down Smash: Shadow Bomb (17% on inner half of blast, 15% on outer half, 7% on late hit)

Specials

• Neutral B: Shadow Ball** (25% fully charged, 4% uncharged, 1% during charge)

• Side B: Confusion (10%)

• Up B: Teleport (Doesn't do damage)

• Down B: Disable (1% on grounded opponents, 10% on aerial opponents)

Aerials

• Neutral Air: Body Spark* (16% if all hits connect, 5% on landing)

• Forward Air: Shadow Claw (14%)

• Up Air: Tail Flip (10%)

• Back Air: Tail Flail (11%)

• Down Air: Meteor Kick**** (16%)

Throws

• Pummel: Dark Shock (3% each)

• Forward Throw: Gravity Crush (13%)

• Up Throw: Psychic Whirlwind (12%)

• Back Throw: Telekinesis (11%)

• Down Throw: Tail Slam (5% on activation, 6% from tail, 11% total)

* Indicates an attack with a Multi-hit affect.
** Indicates an attack that can do damage while it's charging.
*** Indicates an attack that Meteors on connection.
**** Indicates an attack that Spikes on connection.

- Guidelines for Discussion
Please try not to stray from the topic of Mewtwo's moveset.
Arguements are fine, so long as they are constructive and on topic.
Avoid unnecessary comparisons to other characters.​

Last edited:

Cherubas

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0774-4746-9812
I want his side B and down B changed. The last pokemon game I played was gold, so I don't have any good suggestions, but his side B was virtually useless and his down B only hit if someone was looking straight at you, then it would put them to sleep for .15 seconds. Yaaaayyy.

I hope they're completely scrapped and replaced. At least the down special. I could see the side special MAYBE getting a Mario cape-like effect if they wanted to be lazy, but the down special needs the axe.

And no, I really don't want him to be a Lucario clone. Mewtwo's up throw was probably my favorite animation of any character ever in the Smash series.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I want his side B and down B changed. The last pokemon game I played was gold, so I don't have any good suggestions, but his side B was virtually useless and his down B only hit if someone was looking straight at you, then it would put them to sleep for .15 seconds. Yaaaayyy.

I hope they're completely scrapped and replaced. At least the down special. I could see the side special MAYBE getting a Mario cape-like effect if they wanted to be lazy, but the down special needs the axe.

And no, I really don't want him to be a Lucario clone. Mewtwo's up throw was probably my favorite animation of any character ever in the Smash series.
I agree that they should keep one and remove the other. When I was a kid I couldn't understand what was the difference between the two moves. They're kinda too similar. Also kinda bad. Making his side-b or down-b similar to their PM variants would be pretty neat imo. Replace the removed one with Psystrike or something.

No worries, Mewtwo has a 0% chance of being a clone of Lucario. The only real similarity they have is that they're both Pokemon, floaty, and the neutral-B. He already has a moveset in Melee, and I don't think Sakurai has ever completely changed a character's moveset. It's why Ganondorf is still a clone of Captain Falcon. Also, they have like ~6 months to create Mewtwo, that's more than enough time to make him his own character.

I agree, his up-throw is probably the best throw in the entire game.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
If Mewtwo kept Shadow Ball, but had Barrier and Psywave as Down B and Side B, that would be incredible.
Speaking of Barrier, I posted this in the other moveset speculation thread:

Down B: Barrier. Mewtwo creates a psychic wall in front of him that is solid to players and projectiles alike. Breaks after 10 seconds or when it takes 30 damage. (Should Mewtwo be able to walk through his own Barrier?)

Possible customs:

Light Screen: The barrier now reflects projectiles that hit it, but players and physical attacks pass right through.

Reflect: The barrier has no effect on projectiles, but is completely immune to physical attacks and solid to players.

Trick Room: Instead of making a barrier, twists the dimensions around the same area. Enemy players inside this area are slowed down. Mewtwo is unaffected.

Gravity: Instead of making a barrier, creates a field of intense gravity. Players fall much faster and can't jump as high, and projectiles arc downward. Mewtwo is unaffected.

Making an actual physical wall would give Mewtwo a unique niche by creating physical geometry and forcing aerial approaches even on FD.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
He's standing more upright with a slightly shorter tail... so I wonder if that'll play into any moveset changes.

YeahVeryeah

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4184-3623-5583
A cool new >B I thought of would basically be to push people away from of him, focused in the direction he's facing.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
I think that Mewtwo, being thee legendary representative of the Pokemon franchise, should feel more unique then the others. He cant lose Shadow Ball, I mean, that and psychic where almost his signature moves before he gained a unique one in gen 5. His Side and Down B need to be changed, and as he has a very wide moveset, I cant really decide on a single move for him, though ParanoidDrones idea of Barrier sounds like a good option for him.

Since he is psychic, perhaps his grab could work differently then the other characters too. Like, when close, he grabs like normal, but when far away, his grab functions kind of like Zeldas side B, you can hold it, see a little psychic energy ball fly across the screen and if it connects, he can use his psychic powers for a further grab. The closest we have had to him doing more psychic style things was his Up Throw in Melee, he can do so much more now. Obviously, we would need some way to limit the strength of his throws the further away he is, otherwise his Up-Throw really would be the best in the game. :p

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I honestly think they'll import his original Melee moveset-but revamp it and change the effects and strength of his attacks. They might also completely change one of his moves to incorporate his signature attack; Psystrike. Its also possible that it will be one of his customs.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Well, they are clearly revamping him at least somewhat, seeing as his base pose has been changed.

Spirst

That, and according to Sakurai, that stuff can't be imported from Melee anyway considering the age of the game. If they're recreating his move set from scratch, making it just like Melee would be very uninspired and disappointing.

Sakuraichu

Smash Journeyman
Keep his neutral B, make his side B Psystrike, make his down B Barrier, keep his up B, buff his tilts and Smash attacks, make him faster and boom. Perfect. I'm maining him even if he's bottom tier.

Kevbot34

Smash Rookie
I can't see Teleport or Shadow Ball being axed, but I'd be shocked if Disable and Confusion return. I hope his smashes and aerials are more inspired by something from Pokemon, rather than him just pretty much using random darkness,

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
The fact that they can't import directly from Melee due to the game's age has me thinking Mewtwo's moveset is going to get a radical facelift.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I honestly think they'll import his original Melee moveset-but revamp it and change the effects and strength of his attacks. They might also completely change one of his moves to incorporate his signature attack; Psystrike. Its also possible that it will be one of his customs.
I don't know how true it is (it might have just been an excuse) but Sakurai said it was impossible to port Gamecube assets to the engine.

Anyways here is a rundown of what I would love to have for Mewtwo's moveset!

Perfect as is (Change only properties like power/speed):
Up-Throw
Back-Throw
Neutral-Aerial
Down-Throw
Down-Aerial
Down-Smash
Back-Aerial
Jab Combo (Which would now have a "suck in" effect like all other multi-hits and also a "finisher")

Change only animation:
Up-Aerial
Up-Tilt

Slightly change/add effect:
Forward-Smash (Add more range as a "psychic" blast)
Up-B (Maybe allow acting out of it like PM)
Down-Tilt (Should hit both sides since Down-Smash doesn't. Just leave it exactly as it is but make it hit behind him at the very start and end of the move when his tail is behind him)
Neutral-B (Make it distinguishable from Lucario's aura sphere, give it some unique property)

Change completely/revamp:
Side-B
Down-B
Forward-Throw (Maybe just make it actually land the shadow balls and make the move effective. The animation for this throw is sick though)
Grab/Running Grab

Don't care either way:
Forward-Tilt
Forward-Smash
Up-Smash
Forward Aerial
Dash Attack
Pummel

New Must-Have Additions:
Ranged Command Grab OR Ranged Regular Grab which can be activated in the air (Tether Grab).
Psystrike

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
He needs a new dash attack. That thing was pitiful if you ask me. Like everyone else said, dat up throw. Easily my favorite throw animation. It had so much power behind it, much like Ness's back throw. I wouldn't mind if they kept the Melee moveset and just gave it a quick tuning, like changing numbers around and making the Side and Down B more useful. He always seemed solid and had cool looking attacks, he was just underpowered.

1FC0

Smash Lord
He already has a moveset in Melee, and I don't think Sakurai has ever completely changed a character's moveset. It's why Ganondorf is still a clone of Captain Falcon.
You have probably not played bowser yet.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I don't know how true it is (it might have just been an excuse) but Sakurai said it was impossible to port Gamecube assets to the engine.

Anyways here is a rundown of what I would love to have for Mewtwo's moveset!

Perfect as is (Change only properties like power/speed):
Up-Throw
Back-Throw
Neutral-Aerial
Down-Throw
Down-Aerial
Down-Smash
Back-Aerial
Jab Combo (Which would now have a "suck in" effect like all other multi-hits and also a "finisher")

Change only animation:
Up-Aerial
Up-Tilt

Slightly change/add effect:
Forward-Smash (Add more range as a "psychic" blast)
Up-B (Maybe allow acting out of it like PM)
Down-Tilt (Should hit both sides since Down-Smash doesn't. Just leave it exactly as it is but make it hit behind him at the very start and end of the move when his tail is behind him)
Neutral-B (Make it distinguishable from Lucario's aura sphere, give it some unique property)

Change completely/revamp:
Side-B
Down-B
Forward-Throw (Maybe just make it actually land the shadow balls and make the move effective. The animation for this throw is sick though)
Grab/Running Grab

Don't care either way:
Forward-Tilt
Forward-Smash
Up-Smash
Forward Aerial
Dash Attack
Pummel

New Must-Have Additions:
Ranged Command Grab OR Ranged Regular Grab which can be activated in the air (Tether Grab).
Psystrike
To be fair, Shadow Ball already had that awesome jagged trajectory. I had an idea for a ranged command grab that might work.

Basically, it's a custom move for Confusion called Sniper Psychic where Mewtwo shoots out a blue beam of energy from its eyes. Anybody hit by it is picked up and surrounded by blue psychic aura. Mewtwo can then move them freely, with some restrictions. He can hold the character for numerous seconds, and can move them in any direction. However, he cannot move them terribly far away from him, in order to prevent cheap KO's. In addition, the distance that can be covered up and down is limited, though not nearly as much. He can move them infinitely closer to himself, although moving them behind him is limited similarly to forward mobility, though slightly more lenient. The beam penetrates characters, allowing him to pick several, though it does not penetrate walls. Hitting an attack button or shield button while holding the character causes him to drop them instantly, dealing no damage. Mewtwo can hold the character for several seconds granted the distance limit is not breached. If the distance limit is breached, Mewtwo will drop the character who crossed the boundary. Mewtwo cannot move and is vulnerable for the duration of the move. It can also pick up projectiles, without the distance restrictions of character movement, and reposition them. The projectiles's direction is reversed when he releases it or when the time limit runs out. Finally, he can use this move to pick up items and fight from afar with them, with no distance restrictions and a slightly more lenient time restriction.

I also think Psystrike should be his Final Smash. I could go into more depth, but I think this is enough for one post.

Last edited:

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Psystrike can replace the Neutral or Down special, it's already a safer assumption that her Final Smash will be Mega Evolution.

Shadow Ball becomes a custom Neutral or replaces the default Side special for maximum difference from Lucario, if needed.

De-emphasize physical contact. Mewtwo's "contact" moves have a longer reach than her body shape suggests; hide the giant spoon in the hit frames, that's what her "contact" moves use. Her grab should default to a range like Z/Samus's, but not "reel in" the target; she simply holds him in place, pummels with Psyshock and launches: U-throw same as Melee, B-throw slams the target into the ground on Mewtwo's opposite side, D-throw spikes him downward so that he bounces.

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
Keep his neutral B, make his side B Psystrike, make his down B Barrier, keep his up B, buff his tilts and Smash attacks, make him faster and boom. Perfect. I'm maining him even if he's bottom tier.
Ohh dude I thought of a similar set of specials for Mewtwo. Mine is that his:

Neutral B be Psystrike. My version of Psystrike would be an invisible projectile with a set damage and knockback in which the speed of said projectile can be changed from slow to medium to fast on start up.

Down B be Barrier. Barrier acts like a wall that is spawned in front of Mewtwo. On start up (first 1/4 second), it acts like a reflector but then it loses its reflective properties after that (very similar to Palutena's side B only it is an actual wall and lasts longer). Only one Barrier can be deployed at a time.

Side B be a modification of his side B from Melee. Confusion can be used like in Melee if you tap b, but if you hold it, the area that Confusion affects travels a set distance from Mewtwo (sorta like Zelda's side B). The Confusion area can last a set amount of time if deployed but only one can be spawned at a time.

Other than that, Keep all of his other moves from Project M.

EDIT: What if Mewtwo can choose either Mega Form for a Final Smash? Mega Mewtwo X can have more attack range, power, and Speed but his Specials are nerfed. Mega Mewtwo Y can fly (if you hold the jump button) at any time, has stronger specials, and is faster but physical attacks are nerfed. That would be awesome.

EDIT #2: Give Mewtwo the armor from the first Pokemon movie and his cloak from later movies as alts.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
You have probably not played bowser yet.
"Completely." Even then, Bowser still has the same jab, dtilt, utilt, ftilt, dsmash, usmash, uair, fair, neutral-b, side-b, up-b, and down-b. Some of the animations changed and all have been buffed, but it's the still the same thing. Bowser's moveset has not changed much except it being majorly buffed.

MBakhsh

Smash Apprentice
I think it would be cool if Disable actually disabled a fighter's move until they get KO'd. As in, if you hit someone and they're using a certain move then they can't use that move anymore. Only one at a time, of course.

Last edited:

Prince Lolz

Smash Apprentice
I have something to point out! In the direct a mega mewtwo X and Y trophy is seen, thus we can conclude that mega evolution will not be his final smash. Just wanted to point that out.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I think it would be cool if Disable actually disabled a fighter's move until they get KO'd. As in, if you hit someone and they're using a certain move then they can't use that move anymore.
As cool as that would be, Disabling it until their KO'd is a little too overpowered. I think Disabling for a few seconds would be fine, but no more than that.

Cherubas

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0774-4746-9812
If you really want to be that literal, then yes, no one has ever had their moveset completely reworked and I can't think of any situation where someone WOULD have their moveset "completely" reworked. I'm pretty sure that the Bowser comment was referring to someone getting a drastic rework as opposed to a complete rework, which is true. It always makes me facepalm when people on the internet think every sentence is someone speaking literally. Where did you grow up? Lol.

I think it's likely they'll go for nostalgia though and try to recreate most of his moves as they were in Melee. I think some of the animations will be exaggerated a bit and some will be changed but functionally the same (like Diddy's dash attack or Ness' bair for instance when compared to the Brawl versions of those moves) but for the most part I think he'll stay the same. I'm guessing like 5 moves or so (2 of those being his side and down specials) will actually be completely changed into something else, but 90% of his moveset will be the same as it was in melee just with more colorful animation. That's my guess anyway.

MBakhsh

Smash Apprentice
As cool as that would be, Disabling it until their KO'd is a little too overpowered. I think Disabling for a few seconds would be fine, but no more than that.
If it were only a few seconds then the other player could just camp or avoid until it's restored. It wouldn't be OP as long as it's kind of a slower move that requires a good read to land.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
It's good to be back and speculating with you all.

I hope that the development team for Mewtwo address his flaws in Melee (low weight, laggy attacks, and lack of killing moves), and given they can't use Melee assets, I hope for the best.

However, I think that Mewtwo should retain its multi-hit jab (with finisher), up-tilt, down-tilt, aerials, up-throw (YES), down-throw, back-throw, neutral B, and Up-B.

I feel Confusion should either be buffed (like P:M, and properly reflect projectiles) or completely scrapped in favor for a new Side-B, I personally was thinking Psycho Cut. Same with Disable, most people are saying Barrier would be a good replacement and for the most part, I'm down with that.

Though, I really wonder what its Final Smash will be since Mega Mewtwo X and Y are in-game trophies in the Wii U Version.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
If it were only a few seconds then the other player could just camp or avoid until it's restored. It wouldn't be OP as long as it's kind of a slower move that requires a good read to land.
Excellent ideas! Both are good ways to balance the move out. However, until you're KO'd is a little too long to be balanced unless the move is slowed down so much it becomes practically useless. I think a lengthy time limit, just enough that you can take advantage of the move's absence, would be an adequate time in order to balance the move the move enough so that it is not only useable and useful, but also fairly balanced against the rest if the cast.

lltacx

Smash Journeyman
I'd like his Pokemon Origins move-set except for Swift.

I would say :

B-Neutral : Shadowball
B-Side : Psystrike
B-Down : Barrier
B-up : Teleport

But that's just my perfect Mewtwo :D

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I am legitimately curious about what all of you want "barrier" to do. Would it just be Palutena's "reflect"? I find that move kind of boring to be honest.

Cherubas

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0774-4746-9812
I think it would be cool if Disable actually disabled a fighter's move until they get KO'd. As in, if you hit someone and they're using a certain move then they can't use that move anymore. Only one at a time, of course.
What if it specifically disabled the down special for a big period like 10 seconds? It would be similar to how Kirby can only copy the neutral special which is arguably more useful when fighting Samus than it would be against maybe Ness or someone. Or if time is truly a problem then the disable could last until Mewtwo's opponent takes a certain amount of damage. Or (again similar to Kirby) when the move connects and first disables an opponent it could cause Mewtwo's eyes to glow purple (like he's actively suppressing his opponent's ability) and the special would stay disabled until Mewtwo took enough damage (and thus lost concentration). That might be too complex, but it's a thought.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Regarding Mewtwo's custom special moves, I'd like them to be all based on actual moves Mewtwo can learn in the Pokémon games. Maybe not unique moves because it's Palutena's gimmick, but just like Mega Man, variations inspired from actual source material instead of generic "Quick X" or "Strong Y" with barely changing animation. This is because Mewtwo has one of the most varied movepools among all Pokémon (okay, not as varied as Mew, but still) and it would be sad to waste this potential. So I'm going to post my suggestions:

> Standard neutral-B: Shadow Ball. Works like in Melee.
>> Custom 1 neutral-B: Aura Sphere. Works exactly like Lucario's standard Aura Sphere. Due to Mewtwo not having Aura mechanic, the power of Mewtwo's Aura Sphere is always standard to be the same as Shadow Ball.
>> Custom 2 neutral-B: Energy Ball. This move doesn't need any charging and is roughly the equivalent of a 2/3 charged Aura Sphere.

> Standard side-B: Confusion. Similar to Melee, but a reflected projectile can now hurt the character who sent it.
>> Custom 1 side-B: Mirror Coat. Mewtwo summons a light barrier forward him that can't damage enemies itself, but it reflects projectiles with a 50 % increase in power.
>> Custom 2 side-B: Trick. Similar in animation to Confusion, but cannot hurt enemies by itself. Instead, it nullifies projectiles forward Mewtwo in a larger zone than Confusion and, if it's a grabbable item like Mega Man's metal blade or Peach's vegetable, then Mewtwo will grab it.

> Standard up-B: Swift. Mewtwo does a quick jump similar in animation to Marth's Dolphin Slash, but slightly slower. The jump itself isn't offensive, but once it's ended, Mewtwo sends a lot of stars above and forward him. There are eight stars in total, each of them inflicting 2 % at contact, and strong knockback; they can kill a medium-weight on Final Destination at 80 %.
>> Custom 1 up-B: Psycho Cut. Just a slightly slower Dolphin Slash. Inflicts 13 %. Can kill a medium-weight on Final Destination at 110 %.
>> Custom 2 up-B: Stone Edge. Similar in animation to both Swift and Psycho Cut, but works similarly to Mario's Super Jump Punch, with five stone attacks with 2 % power and a final blow which inflicts 4 % and has a strong knockback. Kills a medium-weight in FD around 90 %.

> Standard down-B 1: Disable. Similar the Melee version, but with a slightly higher range. If more than one character are in the range of the attack, then only the one closer to Mewtwo will be affected by Disable.
>> Custom down-B 1/ Grass Knot. Higher range than Disable, can hit more than one character, reversed damages compared to Disable (1 % on the air and 10 % on the ground), makes enemies tripping if they're on the ground.
>> Custom down-B 2: Me First. Yet another counter.

I removed Teleport because with Palutena getting it I don't feel that it would be cool to have a third character with it, and because Mewtwo can't get it in recent Pokémon games. But we still have Pikachu with Skull Bash so... :p

I didn't touch Melee for long so I don't have many memories about how practical Mewtwo's moves are to use in general, so I can't expose my ideas about A-moves so I just exposed my ideas about how Mewtwo's movepool would be used in his custom special moves similarly to Mega Man. I didn't put Psystrike because I expect it to be used only during his Final Smash, which will most likely be Mega Mewtwo Y.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I am legitimately curious about what all of you want "barrier" to do. Would it just be Palutena's "reflect"? I find that move kind of boring to be honest.
An actual (temporary) physical wall would be unique and force aerial approaches. Customs could turn it into a reflector or replace it entirely with other effects like Trick Room or Gravity.

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
I would like to see psystrike as neutral B with that cool animation from x/y when its fully charged. I got no ideas for properties really just that have to include it as its his signature attack. Here is a vid of the animation btw.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
Mostly I just want to see his speed and weight buffed. Keep his aerials, I like those :p and replace his side and down specials.
An idea I had: Down B- Recover: Mewtwo assumes a meditative stance and heals some damage. No effect if he's at 0% Would leave him open for attack, but you could use it while your opponents are off the stage and trying to recover or something.
Side B- Psycho Cut: sends out blades of Psychic energy that can be directed slightly, would do more damage at farther range, and would resemble Robin's Elwind, but purple.

lltacx

Smash Journeyman
Personally, i'd like it to function like Ness his Barrier, or a reflect. It may be boring but i like those.

Aenglaan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aenglaan
3DS FC
0559-8074-9911
Its neutral B, Shadow Ball, should stay as well as its up B, Teleport. However, its other specials should be entirely scrapped, since it has so many other moves to use now. Psycho Cut, and Psystrike are moves to also consider in the revamped moveset (with the later possibly being used in its final smash).

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Here are some of my ideas:
(KO estimates are for Mario in the center of Final Destination, without accounting for Stale Move Negation, Vectoring, equipment, or the Rage Effect)

Neutral B default: Psystrike: The little purple rocks from the move's XY animation circle Mewtwo in increasingly large numbers. (up to 10) If a Psystrike pebble touches an opponent in this fashion, they will take 2% damage and minimal knockback. The move's charge time is in between Arcthunder and Thoron. When you unleash the charge, all the Psystrike pebbles you accumulated will fly forward at the foe. One pebble does 3% damage when launched, and a max charge Psystrike does 30%. A max charge can KO at 120%. However, there's a quirk to this move: After traveling about half the length of battlefield, (or so) a pebble will fall off, and if it hits then it's treated as the next charge level down. (the next charge level down does 27% but has much less knockback than max charge) Once this starts, a pebble will fall off after the Psystrike travels one character length until the last pebble vanishes. Since the move is considered Physical in XY to an extent, it cannot be absorbed by Ness, Mii Gunner, or G&W, it travels much more slowly if reflected, and does considerable shield damage.

Neutral B Custom 2: Psyshock: The move takes less time to charge, about as long as Robin's Arcthunder. The pebbles are smaller, deal 1% when surrounding Mewtwo to foes, and are pinker in color. Each pebble when launched deals 2% damage, so a fully charged move deals 20% and KOs around 200% from the center of FD. The move travels at the same speed as Psystrike, but doesn't lose power and pebbles as it travels. It has the same effect on reflectors as Psystrike, but does slightly less shield damage.

Neutral B Custom 3: Shadow Ball: Unchanged from Melee. Full charge does 25%, and it counts as an energy projectile.

Up B Default: Double Team: Mewtwo fades out for a split second, during this time you input which direction you want Mewtwo to go. He then warps there, leaving behind a clone that vanishes after one hit or one second. It travels the same distance as Teleport in Melee. No hitbox. If Mewtwo ends up in the air, he can act, similar to Sonic and Mega Man after their Up-Bs, but cannot use special moves until he hits the ground.

Up B Custom 2: Telekinesis: Mewtwo's outline becomes pink and thickens. During this time you can freely move Mewtwo in any direction, ignoring gravity entirely. Mewtwo moves as his normal air speed. It lasts 2-3 seconds tops. During this time Mewtwo has 5% or so of Heavy Armor, but if hit with any move strong enough to break it, he will either go into Special Fall or have a lot of endlag before he can use this move again. You can attack while floating this way, but it will end the move as if you flinched.

Up B Custom 3: Swift: Very similar to Elwind. Mewtwo fires stars beneath him, propelling him upward. He fires 2 bursts of 3 stars, each one deals 3%. If all 3 stars from a burst hit, the foe will be knocked upward, but if only 1 or 2 hit, the foe will be pushed downward.

Down B Default: Barrier: Mewtwo instantly creates a blue, translucent barrier around him. The initial force of the barrier does 4% and pushes foes back. The Barrier can be held, and reflects projectiles at a 1.2x multiplier. The barrier can take up to 15% from non-projectile attacks before it shatters. A shattered barrier will regenerate after 10 seconds.

Down B Custom 2: Light Screen: Mewtwo creates a wall in front of him that lasts between 5 and 10 seconds. The wall is translucent and is colored based on Mewtwo's player color. (red for P1, etc) The wall is about as high as Mewtwo, and one Mewtwo can only create one wall at a time. Mewtwo can freely move around while the wall is in effect, but the wall's creation has a decent amount of startup. If a projectile from anyone except the Mewtwo who created it hits the wall, it will be reflected at a 1.75x multiplier. Fighters and non-projectile attacks pass right through it.

Down B Custom 3: Me First: It's a counter. Counters attacks at a 1.1x multiplier with a burst of blue energy that extends slightly farther than Mewtwo's F-Smash range. Same startup and endlag as Marth/Lucina's counters.

Side B Default: Psycho Cut: Mewtwo's arms glow pink, and he swipes them forward, launching two pink energy blades that combo into each other. They travel half the length of FD, and each one deals 4%, for a total of 8%. The knockback is small, but it will KO in Sudden Death mode. There is a 1/8 chance of the second blade being darker and bigger. This "critical" blade does 8% (so now 12% total) and much higher shield damage. A Critical Psycho Cut is registered differently than a normal one for Stale Move Negation.

Side B Custom 2: Razor Claw Psycho Cut: This time, the Psycho Cut blades go through enemies and projectiles and only deal 3% each. However, there is a 50% chance for the second blade to become critical. This critical blade does 6% damage (total of 9%) and has the same shield damage and stale move properties as the default critical.

Side B Custom 3: Incinerate: Mewtwo fires a small fireball. Its properties are similar to that of the missiles of the Steel Driver item, in that it starts out slow and then speeds up. It's a multihit move, and if all hits connect, it deals 7% damage and decent knockback, (though not enough to kill until roughly 230%) and it also destroys any item the foe has. This includes held items, whatever the Villager is pocketing, stored items like the Dragoon and Daybreak parts, and possibly even stored charges on applicable characters.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

AstraEDM

Smash Ace
I think that Mewtwo, being thee legendary representative of the Pokemon franchise, should feel more unique then the others. He cant lose Shadow Ball, I mean, that and psychic where almost his signature moves before he gained a unique one in gen 5. His Side and Down B need to be changed, and as he has a very wide moveset, I cant really decide on a single move for him, though ParanoidDrones idea of Barrier sounds like a good option for him.

Since he is psychic, perhaps his grab could work differently then the other characters too. Like, when close, he grabs like normal, but when far away, his grab functions kind of like Zeldas side B, you can hold it, see a little psychic energy ball fly across the screen and if it connects, he can use his psychic powers for a further grab. The closest we have had to him doing more psychic style things was his Up Throw in Melee, he can do so much more now. Obviously, we would need some way to limit the strength of his throws the further away he is, otherwise his Up-Throw really would be the best in the game. :p
i definitely love the ranged grabs idea. it'd make him unique and totally fit his character, seeing as he loves tossing people around with psychic energy in many of his apprearances

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
Just to fuel conversation and speculation, what would you all want from Mewtwo's special moves this time around? Would you want them to stay the way they are with just Side and Down B being replaced, or would you scrap them entirely to freshen up the character a bit? What would you want to do with custom moves? Do you feel having entirely different customs like Palutena and the Mii would be appropriate for Mewtwo given how diverse it's actual movepool is in the Pokemon games? If so, what would be your picks for these moves? Discuss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom