• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Progress Report

Phantom Wings

Smash Apprentice
Just dropping by to let you guys know that I'm still alive.

No new codes or fancy cinematics this time around - my Wii has all but been used as a dust collector since the New Year. I just had a long weekend off, so thought about working on the clone engine for a bit.

Trust me, it's not nearly as pretty as it looks. His B moves cause the game to freeze, no articles are allowed to appear (the clawshot being the exception) and the process of getting him to the actual working stage is about as convoluted as Greek history.(okay, not that bad) Hopefully the Module Editor I'm working on will speed up that process, but it will only help slightly.

It's far from completed as I want to add a memory viewer, execution simulator, and search function for certain lines of assembly.(very important when it comes to adjusting the files for cloning) Currently it can only view the files and how they're related to each other. Any modifications need to made through a hex editor.

On the topic of modules, here's what I've figured out about them so far.
.rel stands for relocatable (at least that's what all thrown errors refer to them as) because the files can be placed anywhere in memory and not suffer any drawbacks concerning relative offsets. At the end of the file is a script set that determines which values in the file need to be increased or deacreased in order to accomadate the changing locations of the offsets. This becomes rather tedious as one .rel file may reference another .rel file in order to obtain the correct address. Aside from that though, the files appear to share the same general format.

I think Almas put it best in that I try to to wait until I have something to show you guys before posting. But I'll see about dropping by a bit more often to see if I can help out here or there (but of course, therin lies the problem as I'm not much help if I'm not able to touch grounds in hacking. -_-)

Let me know what's been going on around here. From what I've seen so far, model importing seems to be coming along pretty smoothly.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Oh my god.

Well, its something. A really good something.

shanus

Smash Hero
good stuff PW, glad to see you appear on the surface again

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Phantom, I have gotten item and assist trophy parsing working correct in OpenSA over the past 48 hours.

Is there any way you would actually become active on IRC?
I thing that cooperation would benefit the community, as none of the other coders have even LOOKED at making a proper code engine simply because we knew you were working on one.

That module viewer looks nice, I have looked at the modules under IDA but I didn't really figure out the structure. I want to update PSA to work with D3/Pokemon/Common3.pac/Fighter.pac/AT's/Items but the version you released the source to isn't used because of bugs having to do with expanding the filesize, which I have no clue how to implement properly in OpenSA2

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Let me know what's been going on around here. From what I've seen so far, model importing seems to be coming along pretty smoothly.
Model importing, stages with BrawlBox, and VILE released his guide on custom sound effects and some other stuff. Oh, and new subforums xD

Nice to see ya again PW!

STUFF2o

Smash Ace
Vertex editing has been made easier with DasDonkey's Vertex Box and PSA's look like their getting pretty complex (Naruto PSA has moves where a doppelganger is generated temporarily). Bionic Sonic's said everything else I could think of.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Model importing has seen quite a few spectacular advancements mostly with the help of RandomTBush. Fortwaffles is also helping the process with some good automatic programs for hexing, resizing, and whatnot.
Then there's Project:M, which looks awesome.

Good to see you've made some positive progress on the Clone Engine. With the large number of character projects being started, there's a huge benefit in getting this piece of work operating.

Then there's File Replacement 4.0, which would make PSAs feel more complete and also complement Project:M (or anybody who would prefer sounds other than Brawl's).
But one miracle at a time, right? :laugh:

EDIT: (thanks Wind_Owl) Hey, don't even feel obligated to do this for us. You gave this forum a ton of momentum with the many outstanding discoveries and hacking you have done; this place has the ability to go beyond in many different areas of Brawl hacking now with what you've done before.

Phantom Wings

Smash Apprentice
Phantom, I have gotten item and assist trophy parsing working correct in OpenSA over the past 48 hours.

Is there any way you would actually become active on IRC?
I thing that cooperation would benefit the community, as none of the other coders have even LOOKED at making a proper code engine simply because we knew you were working on one.

That module viewer looks nice, I have looked at the modules under IDA but I didn't really figure out the structure. I want to update PSA to work with D3/Pokemon/Common3.pac/Fighter.pac/AT's/Items but the version you released the source to isn't used because of bugs having to do with expanding the filesize, which I have no clue how to implement properly in OpenSA2

Cool. I've got some time this evening, so just specify where and we can discuss the programming horror that is PSA (I've been touching up on my C# and looking back on it now, it was pretty horrific wasn't it.:laugh:)

I can give you the general rundown on modules if you'd like as well.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Okay :p
Oh yeah, I can parse articles somewhat.
#BrawlPlus on gamesurge, and #SA on gamesurge are good places to find me.
and on AIM I am dantarion.

You should check out the latest OpenSA2, it has many changes that make it the defacto standard in viewing moveset, and the only tool to view Fighter.pac to make injections.

http://opensa.dantarion.com/wiki/OpenSA2

shanus

Smash Hero
You can access those quickly through brawlplus.net/chat/ (the tab up top works, too). Ping one of us and we'll give you the right info.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I love how you guys are so eager to assist PW in getting on IRC. :p

To the topic at hand: It's good to see you back! Even if you don't have that much to show. Everybody needs a break every once in a while.

A cleaner version of PSA would be fantastic (Copy paste between different instances of the program would be amazing.) And hopefully Dantarion and Almas can assist you in other hackery.

pokelover980

Smash Ace
So you ARE alive :p

Anyways, everyone else has said the progress so far. Smash hacking has come quite a ways.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
#
01:07:58 <vampiregirl2010>: where r u from phantom?
#
01:08:58 <vampiregirl2010>: am feeling lonely here????
#
01:09:08 <vampiregirl2010>: any one to talk to???

http://dantarion.pastebin.com/rPViHM1f

Theres not much in there.
Theres one thing in there that maybe shouldn't be in there, but no one can really use it anyways.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
PW clearly has a 10 year old fangirl stalker.

01:17:50 <vampiregirl2010>: CAN I SHARE U GUYS
01:17:55 <vampiregirl2010>: ?????
01:18:27 <Phantom_Wings>: Sorry, were discussing SERIOUS BUSINESS... No malice intended.
01:18:39 <vampiregirl2010>: or if u`ll busy would u plz suggest any other good channel for me
01:18:54 <vampiregirl2010>: plzz
01:21:08 <vampiregirl2010>: okay u r gentle... thanks... i will keep trying tough

Also:
02:16:14 <WindOwl>: was PW here?!
02:16:17 <WindOwl>: DID I MISS PW?!
02:25:43 <WindOwl>: for real?
02:25:48 <WindOwl>: do you have logs? ;_;

Haha.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHOA! PW! What a surprise! Nice job man, I always see youre on top of the most mind-twisting things... you wouldnt happen to know a certain... miyamoto... would you? <.< >.> jw

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Nice to see you around again PW! That is some good progress on .rel files right there. It's cool if you take your time; as long as we know you're alive and slowly progressin' that's good enough for me.

EDIT: I agree with Wind Owl's comment, and would like to revise mine accordingly. I would like to add my usual disclaimer PW's already made such monumental achievements that we are endlessly indebted to him, even if he dropped off the face of the earth forever right now.

That said, PW, if you ever need a PSA made and don't have the time, I totally owe it to ya to do it for you!

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Just wanted to say that the tone in some of the comments in this thread is a bit odd. It's as if people think PW is obligated to continue hacking Brawl when he in fact is not at all and has done all this for free.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Just wanted to say that the tone in some of the comments in this thread is a bit odd. It's as if people think PW is obligated to continue hacking Brawl when he in fact is not at all and has done all this for free.
I can't say I've been here long enough to make any form of a valid response, but I guess it's just the expectations (and I don't mean to speak for everyone or anyone) from previously consistent contributions to the community. If I were to rephrase my last comment, I would've thanked PW for all his previous works and for making the progress he currently has.

Edited my other post.

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Yeah, I came in here to say that I was glad he was still alive and actually be on topic with what he asked, and then I looked at all the posts before mine and I was like "Why are people asking him to get stuff done, he only wanted to know how things were going >.>".

Phantom Wings

Smash Apprentice
No offense taken guys ^_^

I'm alright with the expectations as long as they don't approach a demeaning level. Interest shown by other people is what motivates me to create these hacks.;)

pokelover980

Smash Ace

I'm alright with the expectations as long as they don't approach a demeaning level. Interest shown by other people is what motivates me to create these hacks.;)
I think the two things people are looking for the most from you are a less buggy FPC 4.0 and a new PSA without problems. Personally, a PSA without the saving problems is all I want, I could care less for FPC 4.0.

diosensakiara

Smash Apprentice

Its kay Phantom Wings,although the only thing that would make Brawl+ complete for me is the clone engine that would allow me to use Marth and Roy in the same fight. =) :chuckle::)

LordshadowRagnarok

Smash Journeyman
Been wondering where you were, PW, glad to see you're still alive. I look foreward to the completion of the clone engine.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I think the two things people are looking for the most from you are a less buggy FPC 4.0 and a new PSA without problems. Personally, a PSA without the saving problems is all I want, I could care less for FPC 4.0.
This. Effectiveness > "completeness" feeling
Not that having completeness in the character is a bad thing, it's just that improving the method for making the characters would increase content output significantly (AP Econ class morphing my current state-of-mind >:|). Heck, by the way you (PW) make it sound, a major improvement on PSA sounds far more possible and likely to happen if you choose to do so.

I figure as long as VILE keeps smoothing things out with sound replacement, it would theoretically make FPC 4.0 easier to do, maybe. Still, I can't thank the brilliant people enough that have gotten this far. I can't imagine myself still playing Brawl if it weren't for all of this. I'm also curious if the mass of Brawl hacking had any influence on hackers making a level editor for NSMBWii (along with a host of other things being done for it)... I can't wait for full level packs when a/the level editor is released!

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
"You are TOO AWESOME. You must constantly hack Brawl for us! Rabble rabble rabble!" :laugh:

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
"You are TOO AWESOME. You must constantly hack Brawl for us! Rabble rabble rabble!" :laugh:
NOT JUST BRAWL, MELEE ALSO. DONE WITH MELEE? GIVE US PSA 64 PLEASE. FINISHED THAT TOO? MAKE AN SSBDS THEN HACK IT.
But yay, Phantom Wings stopped by. :D

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
I know this is a late response, but dear God, holy hell the clone engine is in production!!

My brain can't comprehend this awesomeness, so I'm just gonna.... go lie down for a bit....

serious good news though lol

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Well, in terms of music, there's a totally new BRSTM Factory, a BRSTM Tutorial, and the ability to make BRSTM's in BrawlBox. Umm...if I could make a request for a code, if it's possible, could you make one that can add/remove song slots to a stage? That's about the only other thing that's needed as far as music hacks go...sorry if this isn't appropriate, just throwing it out there

...:::VILE:::...

Smash Ace
Didn't dantarion already make a code to add more songs? (its not released but i remember seeing a video about it).

Top Bottom