• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Potential Idea for how the competitive Smash Ultimate Stage list could function

PirateOverNinja

Smash Rookie
Hello Smashboards, I have created an account just to make this thread :b:. I was thinking about the potential competitive stage list for ultimate and came to a conclusion that I thought would be helpful to share. So Please here me out, okay.

So lets use this as a hypothetical stage list (HO=Hazards Off)

Neutral Stages:
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Smashville
  • Pokemon Stadium (HO)
  • Castle Siege (HO)
Counter Picks:
  • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Town and city
  • Frigate Orpheon (HO)
  • [Extra Stage Slot]
So Your probably wondering what "extra stage slot" means right. Well it would be all of the other stages like Dreamland, Pokemon stadium 2 (HO) and many others. At the beginning of a set the players would agree upon one and only one of these stage to add as a counter pick for that set only. That way you can have a ton of legal stages without having to have like 3 stage bans and without having to group stages together like with Battlefield and dreamland in smash 4. Every season would change the list a little, like replacing Pokemon Stadium 1 with Pokemon Stadium 2 , Then putting Stadium 1 in the Extra Stage list, that way stages are not lock into the extra stage list forever.

So what are your thoughts.

Last edited:

XigmunGothar

Smash Cadet
I take it you are aiming to talk strictly about stages for competitions? We know of about 84 stages confirmed for the game and that each will have both an Omega (Final Destination) and Battlefield form. Hazards can also be toggled off for any stage. Thus, in theory, any stage can be selected in such a way that it is viable.

If that isn't what you meant, please clarify. :)

PirateOverNinja

Smash Rookie
Yes< I am talking about a competitive, but not every stage would be viable with the hazards toggled off, as some stages would still be to big, have a permanent wall, or walk off ledges.

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
Hello Smashboards, I have created an account just to make this thread :b:. I was thinking about the potential competitive stage list for ultimate and came to a conclusion that I thought would be helpful to share. So Please here me out, okay.

So lets use this as a hypothetical stage list (HO=Hazards Off)

Neutral Stages:
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Smashville
  • Pokemon Stadium (HO)
  • Castle Siege (HO)
Counter Picks:
  • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Town and city
  • Frigate Orpheon (HO)
  • [Extra Stage Slot]
So Your probably wondering what "extra stage slot" means right. Well it would be all of the other stages like Dreamland, Pokemon stadium 2 (HO) and many others. At the beginning of a set the players would agree upon one and only one of these stage to add as a counter pick for that set only. That way you can have a ton of legal stages without having to have like 3 stage bans and without having to group stages together like with Battlefield and dreamland in smash 4. Every season would change the list a little, like replacing Pokemon Stadium 1 with Pokemon Stadium 2 , Then putting Stadium 1 in the Extra Stage list, that way stages are not lock into the extra stage list forever.

So what are your thoughts.
Do you have any evidence of how castle siege operates with the hazard toggle? This stage has not been available in the demos we've seen so far and it's viability cannot be determined as far as i have seen.

Once again the seasons idea comes up. Who's going to decide how long seasons last? Who's going to choose a new list of stages? And how are tournaments going to be incentivized to use this list?

We don't know yet how many viable stages there are going to be yet, so making these lists right now isn't a good idea imho. We should be willing and open to the idea of using every stage if it's deemed viable. (Certainly don't want to discourage discussion, but trying to be so specific about a game that isn't even out yet and that we have no idea what the final product will look like is just not a good idea imho)

Also not sure if you noticed the sub-forms, one being the pre-release build discussion. There are a couple good stage threads in there, one of which covers a lot of information.

Last edited:
Top Bottom