• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A possible new megaman kill confirm?

NNID
7redroster7
So i was labbing just an hour ago and managed to find this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcHvw6Oc2Ck

(sorry for the potato quality)
Have any of you guys seen this before? Ive been on a lot of forums and seen a lot of videos showing off Megaman combos and techs, but i've never seen this before. Did I just invent this? The combo meter shows that it does combo, I will be testing tomorrow with a pal to see if its true or not. The most difficult part about hitting this seems to be character height. This could be really groundbreaking if this is true, and even if it isn't, its a really safe way to go for a kill confirm without even having to waste your metal blade to try it!
(Also, I'm new here as of tonight, tell me if I'm breaking any rules or if my post sucks.)

Last edited:
NNID
7redroster7
Yes, but the point of this is to drag your opponent way further across the stage before the bair, and you don't risk having the endlag of bair on shield since the metal blade midair regrab is lagless.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
I don't like kill confirms that need set-ups like metal Blade in hand, or crash bomb, or leafshield, because it's highly telegraphed opponents will try to play around it as you pull it out

off topic Tangent
What's with these click baity thread like New kill confirm. they are usually pretty unexciting because of how impractical they are for example recently someone made this thread, kinda similar to yours. The fundamental problem is above, impractical due required set-up (this case it's needing metal blade before hand). there is nothing particaularly wrong with this thread. I like me my optimization, but I'd love to see an appropriate title to go with it.

Remember back in the day "Z1gma upper" was exciting to find. But it's never used because it simply doesn't combo half the time. So what I'd do is like make the title Zigma upper remastered , then post a video.

remastered thanks to frame data knowledge

So for yours I'd do something on the lines of
Optimized kill confirmed set-up, Z-drop OoS

Last edited:
NNID
7redroster7
Thank you for the tips on titling the thread, I'll keep it in mind if i make any others. As for impractibility, this setup is indeed very impractical l'll admit. Short hopping in front of someone in their shield or not is a dangerous task to be sure, and in a regular match the probability of pulling this off is kinda slim due to MB disappearing when it clanks with absolutely anything. Regardless, I see its value in its lack of risk on shield, and a great way of many to fish for a kill with metal blade. Of course its pretty telegraphed if your opponent knows about it, but then again, there are quite a lot of kill confirms to go for to sike them out such as jcgt rar bair, or maybe you could just drop and catch your metal blade above their head to scare them and bait a roll.

In any case, thanks for your input, It's always good for a thread to be more down to earth about how useful a tech can be, a lot of people get distracted about learning a combo rather than whether it is even useful in the first place.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Thank you for the tips on titling the thread, I'll keep it in mind if i make any others. As for impractibility, this setup is indeed very impractical l'll admit. Short hopping in front of someone in their shield or not is a dangerous task to be sure, and in a regular match the probability of pulling this off is kinda slim due to MB disappearing when it clanks with absolutely anything. Regardless, I see its value in its lack of risk on shield, and a great way of many to fish for a kill with metal blade. Of course its pretty telegraphed if your opponent knows about it, but then again, there are quite a lot of kill confirms to go for to sike them out such as jcgt rar bair, or maybe you could just drop and catch your metal blade above their head to scare them and bait a roll.

In any case, thanks for your input, It's always good for a thread to be more down to earth about how useful a tech can be, a lot of people get distracted about learning a combo rather than whether it is even useful in the first place.
I suppose it's a situaltional Out of shield option. Megman's Z-drop drops it very far behind him so if an opponent mis-spaces a cross-up it could very well lead to an early kill, (Short hop OoS > Zdrop) but that said tossing items out of shield is more intuitive and quicker
Items are very good out of shield options so the opponent should already really think about spacing. Short hop > Z-drop doesn't have the frame data of simply Item OoS.

Maybe if you could find a set-up like this. or perhaps something even match-up specific like sonic spin dash.

Punishes are only good if it has something to punish. Roys neutral special flare blade instantly kills, so it sounds like an amazing punish, but you can't even punish shield break with a full charged flare blade because they can mash out of the shield break (although you can simply fire a near full charge, but it'll only kill near the edge or mid stage)

I love optimizing the punish game

I could find your combo very useful because on tall characters, when you try to do the footstool combo, it fails if you are underneath a platform because the z-drop metal blade lands on the platform. but iunno man

Last edited:
NNID
7redroster7
Just to clarify since I didn't mention the actual method of preforming this combo, I will do so now.
This starts with a z-drop followed up by landing, short hopping (without turning around), insta-tossing towards your opponent, then preforming a rar bair.
Here is a video demonstrating insta-tossing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLJXDGqxl-c

edit: lol just realized that almost this exact combo is in that video. Guess I didn't invent it after all. Still, it wasn't shown to be a kill confirm so its nice to know it works as one.

double edit: Zucco shows this in a different way that works at lower percentages actually. My method of preforming this is different than his method, which is zdrop, regrab, throw, land and shorthop rar bair which works better at low/mid percents as stated in his video, while my method which requires landing and jumping after the initial zdrop works better at higher percents as a kill confirm, and the final rar bair can be a short hop or full hop depending on floatiness.

Last edited:
Top Bottom