• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Pikmin Thread

D

Deleted member

I've been searching for a thread focused on Pikmin, and so I found this one.

I just replayed to Pikmin 1 which I haven't played to it again like 13 years ago, and plan to make a Pikmin marathon by replaying to Pikmin 2 and 3 next.

Here's a new question for you all: what are your favorite levels/areas from the Pikmin games?

For me I think it breaks down like this:
  • Favorite Area: Forest Navel. Combing this area for parts in the dark really made me feel like I was exploring unknown, dangerous territory.
  • Favorite Cave: Glutton's Kitchen. I'm a sucker for giant toy box levels in games.
  • Favorite Mission Mode Stage: Fortress of Festivity. I'm a fan of all of the silly detail put into this stage (e.g., Pikmin stockings). Sliding down the tree is pretty fun too.
Favorite Area: the winter-themed one from Pikmin 3. Loved the atmosphere. I find Pikmin 3's overall atmosphere to be the best of the 3 in general. Finally go with the Twilight River instead, I loved its warm atmosphere and it's the most well-designed area in Pikmin 3 imo.
Favorite Caves: both Glutton's Kitchen and Shower Room.
Can't tell for my favorite Mission Mode stage though.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Just discovered this theory. It seems to be popular among the Pikmin fanbase as well.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Well, I guess with Pikmin 4 freshly announced, and the general Pikmin thread we had during Ultimate's lifespan permanently locked (since it was in the Ultimate Newcomer Speculation Forum), it's time to bring this thread back from the dead! (I couldn't find any newer Pikmin threads in this forum).

Who's excited for Pikmin 4? I know I am!

Pikmin 4s logo, as shown in its reveal trailer.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Hoping we'll get to see more Pikmin colours.

I would love to have green, orange, cyan and black.

In the ending of Pikmin 1, there were other Onion colours.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Only recently finally got around to trying out a pikmin game (specifically 2). Really enjoyed it & does feel good to finally be excited to see a new one now that i know i enjoy the games. Still have some catching up to do but am looking forward to seeing more of 4.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
So quick warning, the game is being datamined and the Piklopedia entries have already leaked. If you're like me and would rather not see them, you might want to be alert. Anyway, I played through the demo, and quite frankly I loved it! Here's some of my thoughts on it.

Cool things:
  • Demo is actually pretty meaty, it lets you play basically the entire first area.
  • New camera is good, was worried when we first saw the game but you have a lot of control over it. You can pretty easily zoom out and get a top-down view or what the older standard view was. Controls for it are intuitive too.
  • The presentation is really, REALLY good. Texture work and lighting is great and results in the environments being as wonderful as I'd hope. The game generally looks better than 3 does and 3 is already a very pretty game.
  • The whole game so far feels like a massive love letter to Pikmin 2, there's Pikmin 2 remixes everywhere.
  • Deflowering seems to be tuned up from 3, already saw a lot of flower pikmin turn to buds and leaves from enemies shaking. We're not far enough in the game to say anything for certain but it feels like a good sign the difficulty got bumped up from 3.
  • Game feels way less linear than 3's early segments once you're out of tutorial hell, which is great.
  • Time actually does flow when you're in caves now, but veeeerrryyy slowly (1/6x). Can't confirm this but also doesn't seem like you can reach sunset through caves. The caves also spit the player right back out before the cave when you beat them. I like this a lot since I felt 2 let you cheese your day planning too much with the caves.
  • Didn't actually get to see this in the Demo myself but the new Piklopedia is awesome. It's way more interactive than 2's and a world above 3 Deluxe's, looks great. I always loved the Piklopedia in 2 so I'm really looking forward to this.
  • (Minor spoilers, only concerns controls) Charging and Swarming are both back in the game. Unlocked Charge and didn't get swarm, not even sure it's possible in the demo. However, you can see swarm in the control menu so it's there, we just need to unlock it.
  • (End of demo spoiler) They brought back the GIANT BREADBUG WOOOOO!!!!
  • I think Oatchi is a nice addition. Was worried about him being too much but, so far he doesn't seem that extreme. Riding on a dog to places is also just a fun concept lol

Things:
  • (Spoilers for the start of the game) The game may be an alternate timeline. It's not very clear at the moment but it seems like this exists in a separate canon from 1-3 considering how Olimar talks. We'll see if that's true or not later.
  • You have a limit on how many Pikmin you can have out at once in the overworld that's below 100. However, you can increase it with collectibles called Flarlic Bulbs. It's one of those things that only playing the whole game will be able to let us know whether or not it was a good decision. Definitely can see some positives already though!
  • There's a type limit, seems you can only bring out 3 types of Pikmin at once. Like the above thing this is a "I'll wait to see how the full game plays around this" thing before judging as good or bad.

Not so cool thing:
  • Tutorial segment was kinda eh as per series tradition, definitely better than 2's tutorial though lol.
  • Some of the character dialogue feels pretty flat. Granted it's really early in the game, they might grow on me later.
Overall, I'd say it was very promising! Got way more out of it than I expected for a Demo, so that was nice too.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Finished replaying 1, still in the process of slogging my way through 2 (dungeons take quite a while). Already replayed 3 when it was first rereleased for Switch, so I'll be going directly to 4. As soon as I finish all the treasures and challenge mode levels in 2, I'll play the Pikmin 4 Demo, really looking forward to it!

BTW new video with some new info was posted.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Finally finished Pikmin 2 (getting Pink Flowers on all the challenge mode levels took a lot of resetting), and played through the Pikmin 4 Demo. Was so impressed by the sheer content of it that I decided to replay Pikmin 3 Deluxe after all (was originally planning on skipping it since I already replayed 3 recently when it was first released on Switch).

All in all playing through the entire series gave me a real appreciation for all the mechanics and quality of life improvements they introduced in each sequel. Highly looking forward to 4!

Edit: Another trailer dropped!

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Finally 100% Pikmin 4, and just wanted to say, this is one of my favorite Nintendo games I've ever played. It does feel like a love letter to Pikmin 2, as others have said, but it also feels like a love letter to the whole series, they have things for fans of all 3 games. Highly recommended for any Pikmin fan.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Pikmin 4, is really good.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
I've finally got some spare time to sit down and play Pikmin 4 consistently.

I love it. It feels like Pikmin 2 did back in the day. And since the Dandori battles are essentially just Pikmin 2 vs battles I have a ton of experience from going to war against my sister all the time. I think the only ting I can critique is I miss the C-stick being a way to move my mob of pikmin around.

Top Bottom