• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
Another Nintendo minute video was posted on their youtube channel and one of the challenges is “take out Waluigi”...Why must they bully him?
Because they hate him and consider him as the black sheep of the mario cast

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Because they hate him and consider him as the black sheep of the mario cast
The idea that an entire corporation can collectively hate a character is laughable.

They don't hate Waluigi, they're utilizing the character exactly how he was created, he doesn't really need to be in the mainline platformers but maybe he should be in the spotlight more. The only place where Waluigi has it really rough is Smash, and that probably wasn't mostly their decision

Last edited:

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
The idea that an entire corporation can collectively hate a character is laughable.

They don't hate Waluigi, they're utilizing the character exactly how he was created, he doesn't really need to be in the mainline platformers but maybe he should be in the spotlight more. The only place where Waluigi has it really rough is Smash, and that probably wasn't mostly their decision
It's the truth though, he's the black sheep of the mario crew, I think they even said it in a game, he's like the rejected kid in the class
Maybe they don't hate him, but they don't care about him either, maybe because he's not a creation from nintendo but from camelot instead which is why they treat him better in their games than nintendo, I wouldn't be surprised if workers at nintendo give him nothing even after the e3 2018 controversy

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
It's the truth though, he's the black sheep of the mario crew, I think they even said it in a game, he's like the rejected kid in the class
Maybe they don't hate him, but they don't care about him either, maybe because he's not a creation from nintendo but from camelot instead which is why they treat him better in their games than nintendo, I wouldn't be surprised if workers at nintendo give him nothing even after the e3 2018 controversy
It is true that he's a black sheep, but it's not true that Nintendo hates him. He was created for Mario Tennis as a partner for Wario, he's been appearing the spinoffs with Wario ever since.

He wouldn't even be put in the spinoffs if Nintendo hated him. And he never would have had a trophy developed for him if Sakurai hated him. There's no vendetta against Waluigi, Nintendo just hasn't thought of doing anything special with the character.

Last edited:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
If I recall correctly, some Camelot devs said in an interview or column that Miyamoto apparently loved Waluigi when they were creating him for Mario Tennis.
I've never heard this before, but that's interesting if true.

It would definitely make the theory that "Miyamoto hates Waluigi, and that's why he's always in the spinoffs" seem even more stupid than it already was.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace

I might be reading very far into this. At first glance what Charles Martinet says in response to this question seems like a Waluigi deconfirmation. But his response is really weird if you think about it.

First he gets asked the question, then he starts to say "I can't tell you that because" and then he talks about how requested Waluigi is and says "if Sakurai's gonna do it he's gonna make it perfect". He also talks about how long it takes to develop a character.

I just wonder why he would talk about how perfect it would be if Sakurai did it. Maybe he actually is in the know about something. He teased Waluigi fans on twitter a few months ago also.

Last edited:

subterrestrial

Smash Ace

I might be reading very far into this. At first glance what Charles Martinet says in response to this question seems like a Waluigi deconfirmation. But his response is really weird if you think about it.
seems like a confirmation if anything...

“I can’t tell you that because...”

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
No I haven't. What is this rumor?
The basic jist is that in the late 2000s, companies working with Nintendo on the Mario IP made some somewhat absurd decisions (the violent tone of the Strikers games, the ridiculous transformations in Mario Party 8, the religious themes in Super Paper Mario) and Miyamoto enforced a set of mandates as to what Mario games can and can't do, and that's why Paper Mario doesn't have partners anymore; Mario Party games tend to take place in regular generic NSMB settings now; and Waluigi rarely has plot relevant roles - supposedly the reason why New Donkers were so uncanny was because new Mario-styled human characters are forbidden under the mandate.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
This isn't really related to Waluigi but Daisy and Rosalina have had it pretty rough with the Mario Golf Super Rush promotion.

I think they're the only characters besides Charging Chuck that haven't been officially used in any promotion for the game yet.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
This isn't really related to Waluigi but Daisy and Rosalina have had it pretty rough with the Mario Golf Super Rush promotion.

I think they're the only characters besides Charging Chuck that haven't been officially used in any promotion for the game yet.
A small part of me wonders if they're scared of reigniting the Daisy-Rosalina war again.

daisys better btw

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend

All this waluigi stuff and all these tweets got me really thinking that something big is coming to e3 regarding waluigi :D
They do tend to post Waluigi a lot when Mario sports are coming out, but this seems like even more Wa than with Aces. Very small thing to mention, but I think that if all these Waluigi tweets are tied to something big it's more as an attempt to subconciously prepare fans for this supposed big Waluigi reveal than to tease.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
So you’r telling me the higher ups ask for tweets like this?
Well they are all advertisements set up by the marketing team at Nintendo. It's not the account manager that makes any of these advertisements, it's Nintendo.

Literally everything they post is promotional. I don't think they can just say what they want.

Last edited:

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
I'm curbing my enthusiasm until the moment my brain registers information during a fighter announcement that, without a doubt, points to it being Waluigi. As promising as recent developments seem, I still find it ill-advised to celebrate the victory before it's definitely had, in the event that it wasn't related to Smash after all.

But I would be lying if I said I was completely pessimistic about it. Cautiously optimistic, maybe.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
I'm curbing my enthusiasm until the moment my brain registers information during a fighter announcement that, without a doubt, points to it being Waluigi. As promising as recent developments seem, I still find it ill-advised to celebrate the victory before it's definitely had, in the event that it wasn't related to Smash after all.

But I would be lying if I said I was completely pessimistic about it. Cautiously optimistic, maybe.
People overanalyze things in the Smash fandom a lot, but I don't know if that's the case here. It just seems like too much of a coincidence for all of this Waluigi stuff to happen right before E3. We could just be making it up because we want it to be true, but I don't know it seems suspicious.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Well they are all advertisements set up by the marketing team at Nintendo. It's not the account manager that makes any of these advertisements, it's Nintendo.

Literally everything they post is promotional. I don't think they can just say what they want.
I didn’t know that. I legitimately don’t how these things work.
People overanalyze things in the Smash fandom a lot, but I don't know if that's the case here. It just seems like too much of a coincidence for all of this Waluigi stuff to happen right before E3. We could just be making it up because we want it to be true, but I don't know it seems suspicious.
Yeah we don’t want another Geno situation here.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
I didn’t know that. I legitimately don’t how these things work.

Yeah we don’t want another Geno situation here.
Well if they had people running corporate twitter accounts that could just say whatever they want it would be a mess. There has to be limits on what they can say and I don't think they can just create an advertisement for Nintendo without the marketing team saying anything.

The Geno fandom took the most trivial things as evidence for him. The things that are happening right now seem like pretty huge things in favor of Waluigi. I think there's a difference between going full blown conspiracy theory mode and saying that the unusual amount of attention for Waluigi before E3 might mean he's in Smash.

Last edited:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Another thing I'd like to mention is Nintendo knows they are stirring the pot when they tweet about Waluigi, especially with how many people want him in Smash.

I don't think they would tweet about Waluigi not once, but twice this close to E3 if nothing was about to happen with him.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Another thing I'd like to mention is Nintendo knows they are stirring the pot when they tweet about Waluigi, especially with how many people want him in Smash.

I don't think they would tweet about Waluigi not once, but twice this close to E3 if nothing was about to happen with him.
Has NoJ‘s twitter said anything about Waluigi? Because so far only the America twitter account has.

Top Bottom