• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
So, Nintendo decided to randomly drop a seemingly brand new Waluigi render in a Nintendo Switch Lite unboxing video today...
Beyond it being... something, alright, it also makes me wonder. I was under the presumption that renders of Mario characters usually appear at the same time as or together with new games, so that begs the question: why does this exist?

The sudden appearance of this render, and the soon-to-be-released official pro controller, makes me wonder if something is coming for our lanky, purple-clad man.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
So, Nintendo decided to randomly drop a seemingly brand new Waluigi render in a Nintendo Switch Lite unboxing video today...
Beyond it being... something, alright, it also makes me wonder. I was under the presumption that renders of Mario characters usually appear at the same time as or together with new games, so that begs the question: why does this exist?

The sudden appearance of this render, and the soon-to-be-released official pro controller, makes me wonder if something is coming for our lanky, purple-clad man.
The vaguely provocative nature of the pose makes it seem like it isn't intended for a safe and marketable Kart/Party/e.t.c. - but at the same time the textures and lighting are 0% Smash and he isn't in a Strikers outfit... All things considered it was likely made for social media, but I wouldn't rule out the idea of it pointing to something bigger. There's precident for stuff like this happening - may I remind you of the Switch reveal trailer? or Spirits indirectly leaking Mario Maker 2?

I would love Waluigi's Smash interpretation to be a little more effeminate and uncomfortable though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I didn't expect that to happen but you gotta admit Waluigi's new render looks amazing.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That render is amaaaaaazing.

Shows how neat he is, by showing his style and grace. Not just some meme that people overstate(besides, a meme character implies they were created as, you know, a meme? Like Pepe is. Waluigi is known for memes, but that's just a notable part of him, not his core point, nor the the only reason people like him/want him in Smash. Yes, some legitimately like him for the memes too. And that's okay. There's many reasons people like characters. A fan is a fan, imo. Not that it means there can't be toxic support, but it's not cause "I like him as a meme", it's toxic when you put down other characters/fans for your character to shine. If you can't make them shine on their own merits, you're doing it wrong. There's tons of cool characters, and there's no such thing as a universally liked character(though some come pretty damn close, like Mario, and that's ignoring the factor that some might not like his gameplay. But I mean the character specifically in this context, not how they play in Smash, a very different thing).

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem

If that ends up being his fighter spirit in smash if he ends up as dlc, that'll be friggin amazing

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403

What if it's a render for the Mario Movie?

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman

Love the new render lol. I wonder what this is for, they surely didn’t go through the trouble of making a render just for a 3 second cameo in an unboxing video. It’s nice to see Nintendo finally starting to accept him as a popular character by including him in these types of videos. I was excited to see his amiibo there with them let alone a 3 second spotlight on a new render!

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Love the new render lol. I wonder what this is for, they surely didn’t go through the trouble of making a render just for a 3 second cameo in an unboxing video. It’s nice to see Nintendo finally starting to accept him as a popular character by including him in these types of videos. I was excited to see his amiibo there with them let alone a 3 second spotlight on a new render!
I honestly thought they did go through the trouble. Lol But maybe it’s gonna be used for something else, who knows.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
He never did. Blocked Content is just a bunch of hacks making up BS and intentionally starting fan wars.
Oh okay good. His content looks like bs from the thumbnails, but I just wanted to make sure that wasn’t true.

He also made another video talking about three characters not making the cut and Waluigi is one of them.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Reminds me of the idea that Sakurai hates Waluigi that I've seen a surprising amount of people beyond these forums bring up. Despite there being absolutely nothing to indicate it.
If Sakurai hated Waluigi why would he have given him an AT role long before he gained his cult following?

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
I totally believe that sakurai hates waluigi and this theory is not too far-fetched
But luckily, it doesn't mean anything right now because nintendo is deciding, not him so even though sakurai hates him and would never consider him, it shouldn't matter for dlc as long as nintendo is in favor of waluigi

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I totally believe that sakurai hates waluigi and this theory is not too far-fetched
But luckily, it doesn't mean anything right now because nintendo is deciding, not him so even though sakurai hates him and would never consider him, it shouldn't matter for dlc as long as nintendo is in favor of waluigi
False. Sakurai will eventually give in either way. Smash is oddly turning into a specifically fan service IP. Its the sells that really matter, which Nintendo will strive for as what's been said. Its arguable that Daisy beat Walu, not really to do with his taste for the character. And even if, Sakurai potentially didn't want Ridley playable. It takes time for Sakurai to come around. He's almost like us. Just he has his own speculation circle.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
View attachment 314561

They really knocked it outta the park with these renders for the new Mario Golf, Wario and Waluigi look great
Waluigi's got mad style! I love the rose in his hat plus his symbol is metallic. I hope Waluigi gets a big payoff soon whether it's Smash or more focus in general. Wario lookin' fresh too.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
It’s honestly promising that there is a ton going on with Waluigi right now. Random new render, Mario golf render (they clearly gave Waluigi a lot of love with this one. Thank you Nintendo!!), Waluigi controller launching in the US in late may/early June, new Mario golf game, and inclusion in a few various Nintendo videos/tweets. This is the most attention I have ever seen him get from Nintendo within such a short time period. Now, what could be on the horizon that could potentially contain smash reveals, that Nintendo could potentially be hyping up one of their own characters for, and that character might just so happen to be Waluigi??? Oh that’s right, E3! Happening right around the time of Mario golf’s release and the US release of the Waluigi controller (afaik up until now it was only retailed in stores in Canada and maybe Australia)... interesting.

Even if he doesn’t end up getting revealed at E3 I still love to see that he’s finally getting the attention and love he deserves. From what we’ve seen so far, I’d say that Waluigi got the most attention and detail put into his golf render out of the current ones that we have seen, which for me personally is a very unexpected and welcomed surprise.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
It’s honestly promising that there is a ton going on with Waluigi right now. Random new render, Mario golf render (they clearly gave Waluigi a lot of love with this one. Thank you Nintendo!!), Waluigi controller launching in the US in late may/early June, new Mario golf game, and inclusion in a few various Nintendo videos/tweets. This is the most attention I have ever seen him get from Nintendo within such a short time period. Now, what could be on the horizon that could potentially contain smash reveals, that Nintendo could potentially be hyping up one of their own characters for, and that character might just so happen to be Waluigi??? Oh that’s right, E3! Happening right around the time of Mario golf’s release and the US release of the Waluigi controller (afaik up until now it was only retailed in stores in Canada and maybe Australia)... interesting.

Even if he doesn’t end up getting revealed at E3 I still love to see that he’s finally getting the attention and love he deserves. From what we’ve seen so far, I’d say that Waluigi got the most attention and detail put into his golf render out of the current ones that we have seen, which for me personally is a very unexpected and welcomed surprise.
Have they ever hyped a certain character before the smash reveal? Because I don’t think they have, so it’s kinda weird if that’s what they’re doing.

I know nobody likes talking about this but, paragon said Waluigi was last and we’re nearing the end of the dlc and suddenly Nintendo gives him attention? Odd...

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
This is an officially licensed Waluigi hat. Too bad it’s sold out... :(View attachment 314967View attachment 314968
Interesting, how long has this been a thing for?? It looks cool, it’s the first time I’ve seen it. With all this Waluigi stuff going on lately and some official Waluigi merch popping up here and there it really makes you wonder what the future holds for Waluigi! Wishful thinking but I’d love it if we are about to see the year or summer of Waluigi or something lol

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Anyone else feel like Waluigi is the real last Nintendo all star after Dixie Kong? While Dixie more than earned her status, Waluigi's just been more active and significant since his debut.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Anyone else feel like Waluigi is the real last Nintendo all star after Dixie Kong? While Dixie more than earned her status, Waluigi's just been more active and significant since his debut.
All that's really left IMO are Waluigi, Tingle, Impa, Dixie, and maybe Toad. I hope Nintendo take this as a cue to dig deeper into Nintendo lore rather than completely shift focus to third parties and new releases.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Too much Pokemon/Gen 1 or not, Eevee is being forgotten as a Nintendo all-star by the Smash community.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Interesting, how long has this been a thing for?? It looks cool, it’s the first time I’ve seen it. With all this Waluigi stuff going on lately and some official Waluigi merch popping up here and there it really makes you wonder what the future holds for Waluigi! Wishful thinking but I’d love it if we are about to see the year or summer of Waluigi or something lol
I don’t exactly know, but I looked on discord and we started talking about it since around July of 2019. There was a review on there from three years ago.

UserKev

Smash Champion
All that's really left IMO are Waluigi, Tingle, Impa, Dixie, and maybe Toad. I hope Nintendo take this as a cue to dig deeper into Nintendo lore rather than completely shift focus to third parties and new releases.
I don't feel like Tingle and Impa are all stars, oddly. Tingle seems to be just thrown in as a mention and Impa seems to be just starting. I get Tingle has been in "multiple" Zelda games, but I can't recall when they were ever "Popular."

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
I believe Min Min's actually a promotional render from before arms had released actually.

Also, Pyra and Mythra's sprites are actually edited artworks from the box art of the good smile figures.
Not to mention Pneuma didn't have any official render prior to smash, so the Xenoblade team made a new render for Pneuma just for the smash spirit.

So while for the fighters themselves I don't think it's yet to happen, they have used renders that come from outside the games or main game promotion stuff like the figures, and they have created artwork and renders for characters solely for spirits

So it's not impossible to imagine that new render for Waluigi could be a fighters Spirit, though tbh since it reuses the model from super Mario party I suspect it's just from a new upcoming Mario game or something in that vein (but who knows)

Last edited:

BZocky

Smash Ace
new trademark, looks like that render may have been for an upcoming Mario Party after all

Top Bottom