• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

BigZGaming2015

Smash Journeyman
So with the idea of a bonus fighter possibly happening, and Waluigi having a chance of being that bonus fighter if it happens, I think it would be cool if Piranha Plant was somehow implemented into Waluigi's trailer. Maybe a continuation to the Plant's trailer, with Luigi, the Yoshis, and now Mario stunned with Wario trying to fight off the Plant. Wario grabs an assist trophy, Waluigi knocks out the Plant, and as Wario celebrates, Waluigi knocks him out too.

I really like making what-if scenarios for character trailers, especially for Waluigi. I feel like there's so much that could be done. Sakurai could walk away from his desk at the end of the CP11 presentation, revealing one more Smash invitation sitting on the desk, only for a lanky purple arm to snatch it. There's so many possibilities

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
If we do end up getting Waluigi, it will likely mean that a once-in-a-blue-moon event will happen as well: Charles Martinet recording a (mostly) brand new batch of Waluigi voice lines. Nintendo loves to reuse voice clips for their spin-offs, but the Mario characters' voice lines in Smash sound very different (in terms of audio quality, for lack of a better term in my non-audio expert mind) and do not appear to be used anywhere else. Which means it won't affect Waluigi outside of Smash either, but it'd be nice to hear new lines for him regardless.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
but the Mario characters' voice lines in Smash sound very different (in terms of audio quality, for lack of a better term in my non-audio expert mind) and do not appear to be used anywhere else.
Basically what Charles Martinet did is record more "edgy" lines for the Mario Bros. and Wario Not-Bros. to match Brawl's gritty artstyle. Which they still used with the bright, saturated visuals of Smash 4 and the desaturated-but-not-gritty-like-Brawl visuals of Ultimate.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
If we do end up getting Waluigi, it will likely mean that a once-in-a-blue-moon event will happen as well: Charles Martinet recording a (mostly) brand new batch of Waluigi voice lines. Nintendo loves to reuse voice clips for their spin-offs, but the Mario characters' voice lines in Smash sound very different (in terms of audio quality, for lack of a better term in my non-audio expert mind) and do not appear to be used anywhere else. Which means it won't affect Waluigi outside of Smash either, but it'd be nice to hear new lines for him regardless.
But they reused Daisy voice clips.

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
Is there any news on this bonus fighter rumor thing ? Because I just saw that right now. I just saw that for the past few days, there are rumors that a bonus fighter might be added as a last surprise after FP2 has ended and I must say that if this is true, then I'm fully expecting Waluigi. I thought he was somewhat likely to be in the pass but as a bonus, I think that he is most likely to happen.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Is there any news on this bonus fighter rumor thing ? Because I just saw that right now. I just saw that for the past few days, there are rumors that a bonus fighter might be added as a last surprise after FP2 has ended and I must say that if this is true, then I'm fully expecting Waluigi. I thought he was somewhat likely to be in the pass but as a bonus, I think that he is most likely to happen.
There's no current news as far as I know of other than the fact it's there and signs point it to most likely being either a full character or a Mii Costume that will be a bonus (a character seems more likely then another Mii Costume in my eyes as I theorize this will likely be a bonus for anyone who buys both fighter passes 1&2, and a full character or even an echo would entice more people to do so then just a mii costume), and Waluigi seems to fit the bill as the perfect bonus character and final dlc for ultimate, and to tide us over till/hype us up for the next game.

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
I just remembered that Nintendo took down Legacy XP, the famous Brawl mod with Waluigi in it and apparently, Nintendo took down Smash bros fan remixes of Banjo Kazooie and Sans before these songs got added to Ultimate alongside Banjo Kazooie and the Sans costume. I know that there is a difference between taking down songs and an entire fan project but in reality, it might be about the same thing : Ultimate. And it's worth noting that the LXP takedown was around the beginning of FP2 development.
Combine that to the potential bonus fighter, I really have a feeling that Waluigi is going to get in soon, probably as a bonus character than a pass character. I'm not really into speculation, I'm just hoping for the characters that I want but I thought that it was interesting to talk about that

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
Well, the bonus fighter thing was not real after all. Now we gonna have to hope that he is one of the last two DLC again... it's kinda worrying to be honest

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Well, the bonus fighter thing was not real after all. Now we gonna have to hope that he is one of the last two DLC again... it's kinda worrying to be honest

This article has been out since the 9th of March..... From last year.

I doubt it changes anything, this came out loooong before the bonus character/costume/whatever slot was found, So it's possible that things might have changed or this was purposely said to dull people's expectations for when something was revealed.

Either way, this changes nothing

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't consider a bonus fighter - if it even is a bonus fighter - to be all that much "beyond" FP2, anyway. If it is real, it is in all likelihood being developed concurrently with the FP2 fighters (maybe it was even decided on at the same time), with it being a surprise after the "final" two in mind.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I'm back! It's been awhile since I've been on here. Anyway, here's a picture of my Waluigi mii in Miitopia. :)View attachment 313237
That chin is on point.

Anyway, is it just me or is the anamosity towards Waluigi starting to die down? More new users are dropping by the thread and I haven't seen much anti-Waluigi sentiment being spread for a while.

I wouldn't be too surprised should our beloved sneakster be revealed on judgemen-I mean at E3, but I'm not counting on it. He's almost a lock for any future instalments though, I'm pretty certain on that.

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
Anyway, is it just me or is the anamosity towards Waluigi starting to die down? More new users are dropping by the thread and I haven't seen much anti-Waluigi sentiment being spread for a while.
Here, yes, not so much of that. Though still more prevalent on the likes of Twitter and Reddit, sadly.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
That chin is on point.

I wouldn't be too surprised should our beloved sneakster be revealed on judgemen-I mean at E3, but I'm not counting on it. He's almost a lock for any future instalments though, I'm pretty certain on that.
I think it died down because... He has been an assist trophy in the game for three years, so people don't think their characters are in any danger to get their "spot" stolen by Waluigi. But if a new game was announced, I'm pretty certain the animosity would come back due to his popularity.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
I think it died down because fans aren’t really demanding him in smash anymore because it’s been three years. Most of them has probably given up. Look at the WAHrriors discord, it’s a wasteland there.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend

New Waluigi render for Mario golf super rush!
I love how it's also the longest club. Waluigi would probably use an extremely long club solely because it's flashy, fully aware he plays better with shorter clubs, then get surprised when he somehow loses.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm completely on board for a Waluigi game based around steath, a concept Nintendo is new to. Imagine pranking the Mario cast and it'd also be interesting since they be the bad guys.

Ironically, it may take Waluigi entering Smash before having his own game. I can totally see it.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I'm completely on board for a Waluigi game based around steath, a concept Nintendo is new to. Imagine pranking the Mario cast and it'd also be interesting since they be the bad guys.

Ironically, it may take Waluigi entering Smash before having his own game. I can totally see it.
I personally think Waluigi would make the perfect protag for a new Puzzle League. A game that rewards quick-thinking smarts by inflicting terror upon your enemies is 100% Waluigi.

UserKev

Smash Champion
What Waluigi moveset concept is generally the most accepted by the community? I'm aware of the whole sports getup, but I want confirming opinions from supporters if I'm guessing wrong.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
What Waluigi moveset concept is generally the most accepted by the community? I'm aware of the whole sports getup, but I want confirming opinions from supporters if I'm guessing wrong.
Sports movesets are almost universally disliked where I've been, ones using elements from other Mario spin-offs are quite liked (especially if they involve obscure Waluigi powers like air-swimming or the vine whip), but the favoured movesets tend to be ones that make stuff up.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

New Waluigi render for Mario golf super rush!
I'm going to be a little bit delusional here...
But what if they add Waluigi with a specific outfit? The guy is known to be a cheater. So he is cheating his way through by disguising as a golfer or a tennis player.
The cost would be: unable to use his default outfit, but a price I'm willing to pay to have him as a playable character.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
But what if they add Waluigi with a specific outfit? The guy is known to be a cheater. So he is cheating his way through by disguising as a golfer or a tennis player.
The cost would be: unable to use his default outfit, but a price I'm willing to pay to have him as a playable character.
I personally would love the Aces outfit as default, it'd go along with Wario's biker outfit being default really well, and help establish he's not another fireball + jump punch + tornado plumber.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
So I finally got around to watching that Papagenos video and I find it interesting that when you type the supposed bonus fighter’s string of numbers on the official Nintendo website, you get a message that says “this content is currently unavailable”.

But when you type random strings of numbers it gives you a message that says “the page could not be found”. They’re definitely hiding something.

Last edited:

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
Most of us seem to be expecting an E3 reveal, which lines up nicely with the new Mario Golf's upcoming release. Having Waluigi's default look be his new fancy, made-for-golfing threads could work as promotion for the game. Being able to play as him in Smash would be fantastic enough, but I still would've liked the option for him to use his normal overalls, as Wario can.
So I finally got around to watching that Papagenos video and I find it interesting that when you type the supposed bonus fighter’s string of numbers on the official Nintendo website, you get a message that says “this content is currently unavailable”.

But when you type random strings of numbers it gives you a message that says “the page could not be found”. They’re definitely hiding something.
This is one detail that is preventing me from dismissing the whole thing as mere human error. It is quite suspicious.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Sports movesets are almost universally disliked where I've been, ones using elements from other Mario spin-offs are quite liked (especially if they involve obscure Waluigi powers like air-swimming or the vine whip), but the favoured movesets tend to be ones that make stuff up.
Glad I'm not the only one. I also detest the whole sports gimmick. Might just be my opinion, but a typical moveset where he imitates the Mario bros can be way more interesting. I would love Waluigi just throwing purple fire balls. Keep his signature stomps, whacky kicks and punches and Mario's ground pound. The tennis racket should work as a projectile reflector.

His air down can even act as a body slam from
1620184808796.png
in Mario 64.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I will never understand why Sakurai put Piranha Plant before not only Waluigi but also Toad, Paper Mario, King Boo or basically any established Mario character.

Add me to the list. I don't expect him but I still like this character and want him.
Because it's not that simple.

PP was chosen as a bonus DLC charactr first and foremost. It already wasn't supposed to be a Hero intentionally, so Toad and Paper Mario were never on the table. King Boo is far harder to make a moveset out of, due to not having as many abilities among the species(a ton of PP's moves come straight from the games). Waluigi also suffers from this, having a fairly small overall movepool at this time. Sports are nice, but they aren't specific to him. Meanwhile a lot of stuff is specific to the various Piranha Plant species, making it way easier to make a unique moveset. It doesn't help that the sports games do have representation via Peach(and now Daisy's) Smash attacks. They seem small, but these are still there for just that alone.

So for Waluigi, just having sports is not enough. He has air swimming otherwise, and would still need a base to be easier to create(PP used Bowser Jr. for the vehicle part). The former clearly cannot be a clone or echo, and his design means they'd have to effectively take some of Wario's janky movement, and maybe Luigi can help provide a skeleton for him. But we don't know if that's good enough. That, and another thing was being iconic and not being a hero. Let's be honest, PP is more known than Waluigi or King Boo by far. It's a very iconic mook since the first game(and he does note that being iconic was part of it).

Frankly, Waluigi was not in a position to be a bonus DLC character like that. PP also has a lot of evidence it was never a base game character, meaning Waluigi was already an AT, so he wouldn't be re-considered by then, as it's all decided while the base game is being finished up(2017 July is when DLC was determined, with PP being the first character anyway). So that at most left King Boo, and it seemed like Sakurai actually wanted more of a mook than an established character at that point. Then again, there's no difference for Smash. A character is nothing more than a single entity in a game when it comes to how simple Smash is with it. So it doesn't matter how established they are. Do they have a name(even for just a species), moveset potential? Yes? Then they're eligible. It's not that odd if you look at the entire picture. It's also why it's a bonus dlc, not a core one, since it's a special situation. The only other one honestly that sounded plausible at the time would've been another mook in a similar situation(like Shy Guy, though that's not as known as the Plant either). Slime would've worked too(though moveset is far harder), but it's more like it was a first party bonus dlc character, or at least second party in the way Mewtwo was. ...Who thanks to the games and even movies is more of a species. There's been established as more than one, so it's not as different from PP either. Albeit, there's two common things; both were bonus DLC meant to make people get the game(s) early, and both are species. Well, a third thing is they're both rather ionic too, yeah. Mewtwo's only core difference is that they actually wanted it in base(the veteran factor is why). PP doesn't have that factor either.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
I’m not giving up on Waluigi being playable in this game. I’m gonna hold on to hope until the bitter end. Waluigi would be disappointed if I give up on him now...

I’m going in with an optimistic attitude at E3. I can’t wait any longer for June 12th to get here! To see my boy finally make his debut as a fighter in smash. Can you imagine the most amazing comeback? He was deconfirmed at 2018 E3 but then three years later comes back with a vengeance as a fighter for 2021 E3!

Challengers 10 and 11 are most likely going to be at E3 and it’s very possible he could be challenger pack 11. His pro controller and Mario golf super rush are releasing in June too so keep that in mind.

Even if he isn’t gonna be dlc this game. We still need to keep supporting him for any future smash game! Anyway, good night y’all!

UserKev

Smash Champion
If the Final Analysis is anything to go by, Waluigi is pretty inevitable. Waluigi's obstacles is even way less intense than with Ridley before he was reveal. I don't think anything will stop Walu comes next Smash. Would make way too much sense, even being a character created for Nintendo's top IP.

Top Bottom