• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I'm a day late but I hope you guys had a Merry Christmas!

Using the Waluigi Smash amiibo with an official Waluigi controller would be the dream. Hopefully 2021 will finally be Waluigi time!
Hopefully it will be. Waluigi deserves to have his moment in the spotlight. He's a character that can bring the hype if/when we gets revealed.
the same reason smash has been taking down all sorts of smash-related events and projects, because they can.
I agree with the mindset that we shouldn't take fangame take-downs as concrete evidence of Waluigi in Smash but we shouldn't count it out completely. I think we should keep an eye on it and whatever rumor or leak that comes out even if it's a dead end lead.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Speaking of take downs, I recently saw this on tumblr. I guess it involved Waluigi, I just wish I knew what the video was about. View attachment 294982
The only other character-related takedowns I've heard of were for Sans and Geno. Megalovania was taken down a few months before Sans's costume was revealed and two Mario RPG songs were taken down however long ago (I think its been around a year now? Don't know for sure). Maybe this is similar? It really depends on what the original video was and how recently it was taken down. Either way lets see what happens
Hmm, could we be getting Waluigi as a bonus DLC fighter or maybe just a deluxe mii costume.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman

I’m usually not a fan of realistic depictions, but this one in particular is good! He looks so lifelike while still keeping his original design intact. I also think this depiction of him is quite handsome if I’m being honest.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

I’m usually not a fan of realistic depictions, but this one in particular is good! He looks so lifelike while still keeping his original design intact. I also think this depiction of him is quite handsome if I’m being honest.
That's the art director of God of War :p

He made an entire album of realistically depicted Smash characters

PunkApe

Coolest Monkey in the Jungle
Lol! I like your pfp.

edit: Yeah I don’t know why it wasn’t in the base game.
It's possible they just forgot to add it, I guess? Doesn't seem like the most important Mii outfit piece after all. However I did hear that Sakurai wanted every Smash 4 costume to return in some form so maybe it could mean something.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
It's possible they just forgot to add it, I guess? Doesn't seem like the most important Mii outfit piece after all. However I did hear that Sakurai wanted every Smash 4 costume to return in some form so maybe it could mean something.
Would be kinda hilarious if that was the reason Sakurai decided to make Waluigi playable. “I just wanted a reason to bring back the red shell mii costume.” 😂

PunkApe

What happened to the old Waluigi support thread?
Not sure, wasn't on Smashboards during then. Deleted maybe? Might have something to do with the whole "Waluigi fans harass Sakurai" drama a while back.

Last edited:

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
So moderators here really just close threads after a character gets deconfirmed? I guess this Waluigi thread is still up because he can have a chance at the dlc. But if he’s not dlc then I guess it’s bye bye to this thread.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
So moderators here really just close threads after a character gets deconfirmed? I guess this Waluigi thread is still up because he can have a chance at the dlc. But if he’s not dlc then I guess it’s bye bye to this thread.
No, plenty of threads like Isaac, Ashley, Krystal, Resident Evil characters, and Travis Touchdown have stayed up. It has more to do with the behavior of the thread itself.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Generally, until the entire speculation/support thread forum is closed(which happens after a while after the latest Smash is out, though I can't say how soon they'll lock the current Newcomer Speculation stuff. It could be by the end of this year, it might be even later. It's going to definitely be after the game is finished getting characters, but how long after is variable), if a thread is closed, it's either due to too much drama related to it(that's part of why the Waluigi thread was closed beforehand, and the Geno thread too) or the current one is closed because there's a new owner that can't take over the thread itself due to forum's coding problems.

That might clear it up a bit better.

PunkApe

The Geno support thread has been up for eons and he's been deconfirmed twice.

BZocky

Smash Ace
In Nintendo's most recent spree of DMCA takedowns, they removed at least 4 Waluigi games.

1488915-t9ztrjub-v4.png
1713642-fsxmcfzx-v4.png

1518616-vufbfv7i-v4.png
1695182-jzzxthbh-v4.png

The events of these games are now officially canon.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
In Nintendo's most recent spree of DMCA takedowns, they removed at least 4 Waluigi games.

View attachment 298526View attachment 298530
View attachment 298529View attachment 298528

Strange how Nintendo like to take down earnest fan efforts but never shady flash game sites or anything like that.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Honestly, official Smash games have frustrated me so beyond belief in recent years that I started caring less if he gets in. It'd still be nice and I still want it but why should I bother playing him in Ultimate where, like everyone else, he's bound to have an unsafe grab, limited combo potential and awful input buffer on top of dealing with the horrible online play meta when I can just play Smash Flash 2 and Project M Cobalt Legacy where I don't have to put up with any of those things and still play Waluigi?

Not trying to discourage wanting Waluigi or anything. I'm just saying I've been way happier in other games that offer me Waluigi and then some.

Last edited:

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, official Smash games have frustrated me so beyond belief in recent years that I started caring less if he gets in. It'd still be nice and I still want it but why should I bother playing him in Ultimate where, like everyone else, he's bound to have an unsafe grab, limited combo potential and awful input buffer on top of dealing with the horrible online play meta when I can just play Smash Flash 2 and Project M Cobalt Legacy where I don't have to put up with any of those things and still play Waluigi?

Not trying to discourage wanting Waluigi or anything. I'm just saying I've been way happier in other games that offer me Waluigi and then some.
While I agree with you gameplay wise, I still want him in the actual game due to the weight that being accepted into smash brings, as silly as that sounds. I want to know that Nintendo/Sakurai has noticed our love for the character, and found themselves to somewhat agree with our reasoning behind why we like him so much. I also really just want to see him in smash ultimate alongside the extremely diverse cast... if Nintendo comes around to thinking that he belongs in the same game as other Nintendo and 3rd party legends, then maybe we might finally see him start to get some love from the company.

My last 2 reasons might sound stupid but here they are: 1) I want to see the Twitter explosion that would follow his inclusion. 2) I really want a Waluigi smash bro’s series amiibo. This would really be a dream come true for me.

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I kind of want to see Waluigi in a Wario game before anything else. There seems to be a weird identity crisis for Waluigi as to whether he would be part of the Mario or Wario series. He was introduced in a Mario spin-off but his character is way more associated with being Wario'd partner in crime. Smash 4's assist trophy reveal even initially showed the Wah man was part of the Wario series but that was changed later on.

That said he'd probably be part of the Mario series, especially since he'd probably come with Mario Kart stuff. There's no way his stage wouldn't be Waluigi's Pinball Machine... right? If not then I could see a Mario Party stage instead. But it's sad that despite being Wario's big baddy buddy, he's never been seen on treasure heists with him or collaborating on making microgames. Wah!

walugurl

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 298526View attachment 298530
View attachment 298529View attachment 298528

Wait this is real!? I thought you were joking.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
I need to get this off my chest. If Waluigi isn’t one of the dlc characters then honestly I don’t think have I’ll much hope for his future. It just proves Nintendo doesn’t care even when they know people want him.

He’s not present at Nintendo world, he hasn’t gotten a new alt in a long time for Mario kart tour and he’s definitely not going to appear in Super Mario 3D World.

I’m sorry, but I just have to vent this out. It sucks seeing this beloved character thrown under the bus while the rest of the cast get’s all the attention. And I know people will tell me “well he’s supposed to be overshadowed by others, it’s part of his character!” But I don’t want that to be his character. That’s not even the reason why I love him. I want him to achieve something and be loved, seeing him happy makes me happy. Seeing him be playable in smash would be cool, It wouldn’t go against his character!

If he got in smash, had his own game, was treated equal to the Mario cast, he would still be the same charming goof we all know and love. Wario has his own games, is in smash, but he still gets bad stuff happen to him in games he appears in.

It’s just not fair to people who want to see more of this character.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
honestly I know we’ve already discussed this multiple times here before but it always gets to me no matter what- Plant’s inclusion was such a gut check to our fanbase (and really any other Mario character). The fact that they decided to add another Mario rep yet put in a piranha plant over any of the actual characters with personalities is mind-boggling. It implies that they either didn’t know about the amount of support that Waluigi has or they just plain do not care. I’m leaning towards the latter because Waluigi did pretty good in the smash ballot... they already knew how much support Waluigi had before they probably even started developing Piranha Plant.

so basically my conclusion is that at the time of Piranha Plant’s inclusion Nintendo/Sakurai did not care about our fanbase or Waluigi. The question is whether all of the backlash from E3 2018 and subsequently Piranha Plant’s inclusion was enough to get them to actually dig a bit deeper and see just how much Waluigi is loved and how successful he would be from a business standpoint as a DLC character. I mean Reggie himself acknowledged us and the demand so I think there is a chance. Especially since there is an extra fighter on this pass, it really makes you wonder... what if all 10 DLC characters were pre-planned (and plant) and this 11th fighter was added into the mix later on? I think Waluigi could very well be the 11th fighter and Smash Ultimates last newcomer.

Last edited:

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
honestly I know we’ve already discussed this multiple times here before but it always gets to me no matter what- Plant’s inclusion was such a gut check to our fanbase (and really any other Mario character). The fact that they decided to add another Mario rep yet put in a piranha plant over any of the actual characters with personalities is mind-boggling. It implies that they either didn’t know about the amount of support that Waluigi has or they just plain do not care. I’m leaning towards the latter because Waluigi did pretty good in the smash ballot... they already knew how much support Waluigi had before they probably even started developing Piranha Plant.

so basically my conclusion is that at the time of Piranha Plant’s inclusion Nintendo/Sakurai did not care about our fanbase or Waluigi. The question is whether all of the backlash from E3 2018 and subsequently Piranha Plant’s inclusion was enough to get them to actually dig a bit deeper and see just how much Waluigi is loved and how successful he would be from a business standpoint as a DLC character. I mean Reggie himself acknowledged us and the demand so I think there is a chance. Especially since there is an extra fighter on this pass, it really makes you wonder... what if all 10 DLC characters were pre-planned (and plant) and this 11th fighter was added into the mix later on? I think Waluigi could very be the 11th fighter and Smash Ultimates last newcomer.
I will be completely baffled if he is not one of the dlc fighters after acknowledging that people want him. It just means they don’t care. 😣

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I’ve never thought of Wario and Waluigi as villains, more just a greedy, slobby jerk and a hyperactive, loud weirdo. In the WarioWare series they occasionally imply that Wario can be a nice guy every now and then (Smooth Moves’ manual comes to mind) and Waluigi has only shown any malicious traits... probably about 3 times. (Power Tennis, Tennis Aces, DDR)

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
So I don’t understand the point of the takedowns for those Waluigi fan games. I doubt anything will come from it, which makes it even more baffling...

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
So I don’t understand the point of the takedowns for those Waluigi fan games. I doubt anything will come from it, which makes it even more baffling...
The takedowns aren’t for Waluigi games in specific, moreso Nintendo fan games as a whole. Nintendo didn’t like GameJolt hosting ads on Nintendo related games and rather than remove the ads from those pages like a sane person would, they just removed the games altogether.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Unfortunately Nintendo is a very protective and strict company. They've been taking down all forms of fan made content regardless of what they are, it sucks for the fans and it harms creativity within the fanbase. Next thing you know Nintendo might pull off pfp take downs on twitter like what Shueisha did.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately Nintendo is a very protective and strict company. They've been taking down all forms of fan made content regardless of what they are, it sucks for the fans and it harms creativity within the fanbase. Next thing you know Nintendo might pull off pfp take downs on twitter like what Shueisha did.
That sucks, Nintendo has been really ****ty lately. :(

Top Bottom