• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Sephiroth is not in the legacy xp mod.
You’re right, that’s weird, because in a few places I’ve brought up the legacy xp thing looking good for Waluigi and people kept telling me that that was for Sephiroth. Never bothered to actually look up the roster till now to double check.

it’s actually laughable how non-Waluigi fans dislike him so much that they literally make things up to detract from his speculation. It’s crazy, I don’t feel like any other character has this problem. Also still plagued with “assist trophies deconfirm” when we have plenty of evidence to show that that simply is not the case

Last edited:

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
You’re right, that’s weird, because in a few places I’ve brought up the legacy xp thing looking good for Waluigi and people kept telling me that that was for Sephiroth. Never bothered to actually look up the roster till now to double check.

it’s actually laughable how non-Waluigi fans dislike him so much that they literally make things up to detract from his speculation. It’s crazy, I don’t feel like any other character has this problem. Also still plagued with “assist trophies deconfirm” when we have plenty of evidence to show that that simply is not the case
Yeah, even Cloud isn’t in legacy xp, why would they have Sephiroth without Cloud?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
The Legacy XP take-down very likely means nothing for Waluigi getting in Smash, Nintendo takes down fan projects all the time, this isn't anything new nor should it be surprising. They took down Project M even when it didn't add any new characters, they took down Project NX even when it wasn't released to the public for no reason just because they could.

I recommend everyone to not take whatever papageno said about the take-down seriously, he very likely just got trolled by someone and he believed it. He got duped once before by someone who told him that Gordon Freeman is coming and he made a video about it.

Part of the problem with the expectations that the Geno thread built up is that they took an inch and made a mile out of it to show Geno was likelier than he really was. Don't fall for the same pit that the Geno thread fell for, be doubtful of any "leak" or info that is under heavy scrutiny.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Did Nintendo actually take down PM? I'm pretty sure they tried to indirectly kill its competitive scene, but never sent a DMCA to the game/mod itself. Could be wrong on that.
That's true that they killed it indirectly by getting all TOs to drop it, but considering how the dev team also stopped working makes me suspicious. Regardless it shows that Nintendo going ham on fan projects isn't anything new.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
So I went digging and I found something that could either confirm or deconfirm Waluigi depending on how you interpret it.

Charles Martinet is the voice actor for Waluigi. It appears he was not under NDA when answering this question. But the way he phrased it makes it seem like Waluigi could be coming.

I don't know about this one. Thoughts?
It's hard to tell really. It's entirely possible that Martinet wouldn't know about Waluigi getting in Smash given that Nintendo like to reuse voice clips.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
It's hard to tell really. It's entirely possible that Martinet wouldn't know about Waluigi getting in Smash given that Nintendo like to reuse voice clips.
He did start off his sentence with "I can't tell you that because" maybe he was about to say that he's under NDA?

And they would probably get Martinet in their for grunting sounds when Waluigi gets attacked and other voice lines.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
He did start off his sentence with "I can't tell you that because" maybe he was about to say that he's under NDA?

And they would probably get Martinet in their for grunting sounds when Waluigi gets attacked and other voice lines.
The guy asked him what would the one character he’d want in smash be, to which he replied “I can’t tell you that because I’d love every character in smash” or something like that... he finished his sentence, it just wasn’t super clear due to the other guy’s voice.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
The guy asked him what would the one character he’d want in smash be, to which he replied “I can’t tell you that because I’d love every character in smash” or something like that... he finished his sentence, it just wasn’t super clear due to the other guy’s voice.
That also seems like somewhat of an NDA-ey reply. Either way, hasn't Martinet said once or twice he isn't that big into games? Could be wrong on that but if so he could just have no opinion on Smash newcomers.

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
i don't think he's aware of any ****, it's not like a voice actor will be under nda... then again, the composer of banjo kazooie said something about not expecting them but i bet it's wasn't teasing anything

about legacy xp, it's just nintendo being douchebags, they always take down fan projets especially those who use their assets, nothing notable here. they took down a mod for melee, does that mean we are gonna get a melee port with online mode ?
they just wanna jerk off to the money made by those who buy ultimate without having to worry about fan projects being popular

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
i don't think he's aware of any ****, it's not like a voice actor will be under nda... then again, the composer of banjo kazooie said something about not expecting them but i bet it's wasn't teasing anything

about legacy xp, it's just nintendo being douchebags, they always take down fan projets especially those who use their assets, nothing notable here. they took down a mod for melee, does that mean we are gonna get a melee port with online mode ?
they just wanna jerk off to the money made by those who buy ultimate without having to worry about fan projects being popular
Sorry to be rude but...

-Nintendo never took down Slippi. They only C&D'd a tournament
-Grant Kirkhope DID know Banjo was in Smash, he composed the Spiral Mountain reveal music and has stated in interviews he was under NDA.
-Voice actors do get NDAs, including under Nintendo. Byleth's original voice actor (who I should note is the guy who made Brawl Taunts, fun fact there) was fired for breaking NDA.
-Nintendo don't ALWAYS take down fan projects. Crusade and Flash 2 are still up - in fact Flash 2's devs are working on a spiritual successor that will be released on Switch. (Fraymakers) If you want to limit it to games extensively using Nintendo assets, Project+, which was built using Legacy TE (which was taken down alongside XP) and has become the new tournament standard for PM is still up.

BZocky

Smash Ace
Deepest lore.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Deepest lore.
There's no low quality Waluigi.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman

The timing of when they took it down is kinda weird though.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
He doesn't hate Waluigi, he's been giving Waluigi representation in Smash since his inception. He had a trophy in melee, and then an assist trophy from brawl to Ultimate, and despite not being playable yet, he still has spirits, an assist trophy, alternate skins for Mario and Luigi that reference him and a mii costume.

It's more likely that he just couldn't find a way to make him playable, considering how much he has in Smash. I'm sure Sakurai had his reasons, and he can always second guess himself considering the fact that Waluigi's fan demand is at its highest.

Last edited:

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
The timing of when they took it down is kinda weird though.
when did they take it down ? if it happened a long time ago, then i don't see how it would mean anything for now

People have tried to convince themselves that Sakurai hates Waluigi, which makes no sense at all. If he hated Waluigi so much why would he buy a plush of him?
why would he buy a plush of him ? well :
dg.PNG

-Nintendo don't ALWAYS take down fan projects. Crusade and Flash 2 are still up - in fact Flash 2's devs are working on a spiritual successor that will be released on Switch. (Fraymakers) If you want to limit it to games extensively using Nintendo assets, Project+, which was built using Legacy TE (which was taken down alongside XP) and has become the new tournament standard for PM is still up.
i should have said that games using nintendo assets are always targeted while games like flash 2 are usually fine since the models of characters and stuff are fan made and not official... no matter what game it is, as long as they are using official assets, nintendo ninjas are going to take it down

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
People have tried to convince themselves that Sakurai hates Waluigi, which makes no sense at all. If he hated Waluigi so much why would he buy a plush of him?
Because he was doing an assist demonstration and Waluigi is a trophy that everyone can recognize. There is no evidence that Sakurai hates Waluigi, but him buying a plush means nothing.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I see that I'm not on the support list.
While I don't think he has much chances, he has my support. He is my most wanted character with Rayman at this point.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
when did they take it down ? if it happened a long time ago, then i don't see how it would mean anything for now
It was taken down this year of March 13, even though this mod has been around since 2013. This happen after the first fighter pass was finished (when Byleth was released) and the second pass most likely in development. Here's an article about it. https://gamingreinvented.com/news/super-smash-bros-legacy-xp-seemingly-shut-down-ceases-development/

That Mario sports trademark was filed in May of this year, so just a couple of months after the takedown.

Last edited:

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
So I was looking at a list of the missing mii costumes and one of them is from super mario, that being the red shell cap. Since it hasn’t return, I think Waluigi as a dlc fighter would be a good time to bring it back. They seem to be bringing back all the old mii costumes. Honestly, they could have brought this back with Geno‘s mii costume since he’s a Mario character, but they didn’t.
2C1FEDBA-A403-437B-B614-9075A88FD6EF.jpeg

Last edited:

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
So I was looking at a list of the missing mii costumes and one of them is from super mario, that being the red shell cap. Since it hasn’t return, I think Waluigi as a dlc fighter would be a good time to bring it back. They seem to be bringing back all the old mii costumes. Honestly, they could have brought this back with Geno‘s mii costume since he’s a Mario character, but they didn’t.
View attachment 296714
I wouldn't be surprised if they made a green shell and blue shell variation of it too, especially if they wanna go on the angle of making Waluigi a rep for all the Mario spin offs (so the shells being Mario Kart)

Last edited:

PunkApe

Coolest Monkey in the Jungle
It was taken down this year of March 13, even though this mod has been around since 2013. This happen after the first fighter pass was finished (when Byleth was released) and the second pass most likely in development. Here's an article about it. https://gamingreinvented.com/news/super-smash-bros-legacy-xp-seemingly-shut-down-ceases-development/

That Mario sports trademark was filed in May of this year, so just a couple of months after the takedown.
I don't think this means anything for Waluigi's chances. The Waluigi used in this mod is by MKHT so why would they not just take down that one as well as LXP?

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
I don't think this means anything for Waluigi's chances. The Waluigi used in this mod is by MKHT so why would they not just take down that one as well as LXP?
Legacy xp was pretty popular and had tournaments. I think Nintendo saw it as a threat to something they were planning for smash ultimate.

Last edited:

PunkApe

Coolest Monkey in the Jungle
Legacy xp was pretty popular and had tournaments. I think Nintendo saw it as a threat to something they were planning for smash ultimate.
Alright, so:
The newcomers for Legacy XP were
Ridley
Lucina
Mage Ganon
Geno
Shadow
Metal Sonic
and of course, Waluigi

Ridley, Lucina and Mage Ganon are already represented in the game. (I don't think they'd add another Zelda character that isn't a unique character but I won't rule it out)
Geno was recently deconfirmed with his Smash 4 Mii returning.
Shadow, Metal Sonic and Waluigi are the only ones left. I don't see them adding Metal out of all the Sonic characters, however Shadow could be a contender, but when compared to the other popular candidate for an AT upgrade (our boy in purple) he falls short. So maaayyybbeeeee it could mean Waluigi's in.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
If Waluigi getting added to a Smash fan game was the reason LXP was taken down then SSF2 would've been taken down too. The most realistic and probable answer is that Nintendo took down LXP because that's how they operate and they take down popular fan mods all the time. Don't look too deep into the LXP take down folks, it very likely means nothing.

7NATOR

Smash Master
If Waluigi getting added to a Smash fan game was the reason LXP was taken down then SSF2 would've been taken down too. The most realistic and probable answer is that Nintendo took down LXP because that's how they operate and they take down popular fan mods all the time. Don't look too deep into the LXP take down folks, it very likely means nothing.
SSF2 uses Sprites, so it's much harder to shut that down since it goes under the "Parody" section.

Legacy XP, Like Smash Ultimate, uses 3D Models, and Legacy XP also uses official Smash assets. Legacy XP is closer to official Smash game than SSF2

and the thing that is weird Is that I would think they would also put pressure on Project +, considering that is like the hottest Brawl mod out right now and Alot of popular Smash content creators covered the mod. that mod also has Knuckles in it. In any case, it wasn't taken down, but Legacy XP was

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Smash Flash 2 doesn’t use Nintendo assets, Legacy XP is built with Brawl as a base. For another thing, McLeod are an actual game studio that releases paid titles (even before Fraymakers there was Yeah Jam Fury) and as such likely has lawyers, so if they took down SSF2 Nintendo could be destroyed in court

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
SSF2 uses Sprites, so it's much harder to shut that down since it goes under the "Parody" section.

Legacy XP, Like Smash Ultimate, uses 3D Models, and Legacy XP also uses official Smash assets. Legacy XP is closer to official Smash game than SSF2

and the thing that is weird Is that I would think they would also put pressure on Project +, considering that is like the hottest Brawl mod out right now and Alot of popular Smash content creators covered the mod. that mod also has Knuckles in it. In any case, it wasn't taken down, but Legacy XP was
And my point is that it doesn't necessarily have to do with adding new characters to Smash. When Legacy XP 2.0 was revealed in 2018 one of the characters that the mod was presenting was Ridley, a character that was a highlight for Ultimate and was one of the big reveals during the base roster. Yet Nintendo didn't take down XP back then, it's why I doubt the take down was done because one of the DLC characters is playable in the game, if that was a problem they would've taken it down for Ridley.

7NATOR

Smash Master
And my point is that it doesn't necessarily have to do with adding new characters to Smash. When Legacy XP 2.0 was revealed in 2018 one of the characters that the mod was presenting was Ridley, a character that was a highlight for Ultimate and was one of the big reveals during the base roster. Yet Nintendo didn't take down XP back then, it's why I doubt the take down was done because one of the DLC characters is playable in the game, if that was a problem they would've taken it down for Ridley.
I would also like to mention that I've seen people in the youtube comments actually get confused thinking Legacy XP 2.0 was the new Smash game, because at that point Ultimate hadn't been fully revealed

With that being said, the logic I heard is that Ridley is being sold with the Base game, the full package, however DLC Characters are sold more on their own Merits. They don't come with the Game. As such, The DLC Characters have to sell on their own merits, and if there is a mod that might have one of these characters Playable already, than that could be damaging for Nintendo.

Really though, we have to see the 3 last characters to see the outcome of this. I will fully acknowledge that nothing might come out of this Legacy XP thing, but I think there's a chance, perhaps good chance something might. I also don't think they just take it down for Geno's Regular Mii costume, but i guess anything possible

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Just to remind everyone, this mod was taken down when the second pass was starting and the Mario sports trademark happen a little over a month later. And the red shell mii costume is still missing.

I’m not saying it’s 100% confirmed, it’s all just speculation in the end. But it’s the only thing to keep me hopeful for him at this point.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
View attachment 296714
You'd think something as low key as a red shell would be in the base game but no. Could fit well in a wave with some Mario Kart items as hats don't you think? ;)

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
You'd think something as low key as a red shell would be in the base game but no. Could fit well in a wave with some Mario Kart items as hats don't you think? ;)
Lol! I like your pfp.

edit: Yeah I don’t know why it wasn’t in the base game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom