• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Fanbase got a bad rep because of those a-holes that sent death threats, and the original thread was perma-locked (I wasn't around, but I think people just took his disconfirmation really poorly and things turned ugly) so people went away and didn't come back when a new thread was allowed late in the game.
A couple of kids on Twitter were threatening and harassing Sakurai with 9/11 memes because of Waluigi not being in and almost the whole community blame the whole Waluigi fanbase for it because of those kids' actions. It's stupid and dumb most people don't do their research and just jump to conclusions.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just to clarify, it was only more on the thread owner who wanted it locked too since it felt like discussion was over at that point. I know. The user requested it and I locked it.

The new thread came up later when somebody was outright interested in a new one again. The original owner did leave the site fully(account deletion), after all.

Twirlerena

Smash Cadet
Fanbase got a bad rep because of those a-holes that sent death threats, and the original thread was perma-locked (I wasn't around, but I think people just took his disconfirmation really poorly and things turned ugly) so people went away and didn't come back when a new thread was allowed late in the game.
Oh, that’s too bad...It makes me so upset us fans get treated badly because of that incident. I still get hate for simply liking the character. :(

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Oh, that’s too bad...It makes me so upset us fans get treated badly because of that incident. I still get hate for simply liking the character. :(
Yeah it's so unfortunate that us Waluigi fans continue to get hate and whatnot. The majority of the Smash fandom who believed that misinformation that Waluigi fans were harassing Sakurai need to get over it. It was already proven above that two brats sent 9/11 memes to Sakurai and yet people continue on insisting that all Waluigi fans are bad people. They don't have any common sense at all.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
The people who say Waluigi can't be in Smash because of the harassment clearly didn't use Miiverse back in the day. I'm pretty sure Sakurai got way more **** over Mewtwo between the release of For 3DS and the 50 Fact Extravaganza alone than he has gotten for Waluigi from Wario's reveal in Brawl to now.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah it's so unfortunate that us Waluigi fans continue to get hate and whatnot. The majority of the Smash fandom who believed that misinformation that Waluigi fans were harassing Sakurai need to get over it. It was already proven above that two brats sent 9/11 memes to Sakurai and yet people continue on insisting that all Waluigi fans are bad people. They don't have any common sense at all.
When people see a situation like that related to a character, something or someone in general they don't like, they will choose to believe it just to try to eliminate it out of the picture.

The people who say Waluigi can't be in Smash because of the harassment clearly didn't use Miiverse back in the day. I'm pretty sure Sakurai got way more **** over Mewtwo between the release of For 3DS and the 50 Fact Extravaganza alone than he has gotten for Waluigi from Wario's reveal in Brawl to now.
Miiverse was a pretty crazy place from what I can remember. Half of the time, certain people would be spamming art of private body parts over and over. It was a nest for childish people, but there were some good folks on there. I've met some friends on Miiverse.

Twirlerena

Smash Cadet
When people see a situation like that related to a character, something or someone in general they don't like, they will choose to believe it just to try to eliminate it out of the picture.
I can imagine people probably did that because they don’t want Waluigi in smash. It was just giving them an opportunity to **** on the character and the fans.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Does anyone on this board remember the April Fools Nintendo Power where Dragonite evolved into Yoshi?

Every time I read this thread title, I think of a new Eevee evolution where he becomes Waluigi.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Does anyone on this board remember the April Fools Nintendo Power where Dragonite evolved into Yoshi?

Every time I read this thread title, I think of a new Eevee evolution where he becomes Waluigi.
...That's where the rumor came from? Oh, wow. I thought it was some weird rumor somebody made.

And heh. It does have that style. My favorite one from Nintendo Power is "Stone Cold Quest 64", which was a hilarious photoshop job.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Why isn’t this thread more active? Anyway, I’d like to share something that admittedly is kinda old, but thought I’d bring it up for speculation purposes.

It’s called “paraleak”. Which said that Waluigi was going to be last, if true I wonder if he’ll be bumped up due to the circumstances going on right now.

I've talked with Paragon on this topic and know where they got the info from and when. As he said, Waluigi was marked "last" and Paragon simply took the flying leap of calling them 5. This lines up because Waluigi has been heard since November 2018 but nobody has ever really been able to identify why. This is part of why I think Waluigi was potentially planned to be a bonus at the end of the Fighter's Pass before Season 2 was greenlit around E3 2019 and why he was my original prediction for 6. Waluigi is so prevalent that he's impossible to ignore but it's still hard to say how he fits into everything. I still think he's coming but after a year of trying to predict when I don't think most people want to bother anymore.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
You know, if Waluigi joins Smash, the reactions to him will be amazing, no doubt, like they'd rival, if not exceed, Sans' Mii costume - and the best part about that to me is that Waluigi is a character known for having low self-esteem - it's pretty much the most characterisation he gets - and everybody would be cheering, possibly even hugging one another and jumping around, for him getting into Smash - it's almost like something out of Wreck-It Ralph.

Twirlerena

Smash Cadet
I've talked with Paragon on this topic and know where they got the info from and when. As he said, Waluigi was marked "last" and Paragon simply took the flying leap of calling them 5. This lines up because Waluigi has been heard since November 2018 but nobody has ever really been able to identify why. This is part of why I think Waluigi was potentially planned to be a bonus at the end of the Fighter's Pass before Season 2 was greenlit around E3 2019 and why he was my original prediction for 6. Waluigi is so prevalent that he's impossible to ignore but it's still hard to say how he fits into everything. I still think he's coming but after a year of trying to predict when I don't think most people want to bother anymore.
If he really is part of the dlc and was considered the last one. I wonder if that will change due to the pandemic...Or maybe the whole pass is first party characters and his placement wouldn’t change.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
It's not impossible we could get a bonus non-Fighters Pack character a la Piranha Plant. It could've been planned that Waluigi would be extra DLC before FP2 was confirmed, and maybe at that point he was pushed back further to release him at a more opportune time.

I mean, the leak didn't get all that much wrong. Hero and Banjo happened as 2 & 3, and if a source were to leak something big, they would probably go with the Undertale content over Terry. No costume had released alongside music, so there must've been a fighter. And if there was a Mii Fighter costume of Sans, that would pretty much rule him out. So Frisk was who he chose to represent that aspect of the leak. Frisk was only a guess though, and the only actual info Paragon had was the Megalovania music track and a Sans Costume, which is exactly what we got. Byleth was hidden so well within the company, Sakurai brought it up in the reveal. I wouldn't knock the leak too much for not getting Fighters 4/5 correct with all of that circumstance muddying the waters.

Now is it likely the leak is real? Time will tell, and I'm not getting my hopes up too high, but I'm definitely interested!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If he really is part of the dlc and was considered the last one. I wonder if that will change due to the pandemic...Or maybe the whole pass is first party characters and his placement wouldn’t change.
It's not impossible we could get a bonus non-Fighters Pack character a la Piranha Plant. It could've been planned that Waluigi would be extra DLC before FP2 was confirmed, and maybe at that point he was pushed back further to release him at a more opportune time.
If Waluigi was planned to be a bonus fighter revealed at an opportune time, it would have happened. There is not a more opportune time than when Nintendo has been essentially down for 9 months, with only one major release and a lot of DLC packs, plus... the world being in the state of Apocalypse.

Waluigi MAY be a paid fighter. He could be the last paid fighter. But there was not, and as far international economics and moral go, will not be a foreseeable "better time" than we have already had.
(Though, I do say this thinking, yes- the state of the world is going to get significantly worse before it gets better).

I do think Waluigi is a strong contender. I think he has a lot more of a chance than the likely Geno Mi+ costume.
I think he still has a lot to contend with Paper Mario, should the choice have to be made.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I wonder...If Nintendo is starting with first party. Will we get all the first party characters before third party due to the pandemic?
The order likely didn't change and ARMS was always meant to be first. They use characters as "bases" when making the DLC mostly for an effect the characters share. For instance, Banjo used Duck Hunt as they both have a character attached to them. Byleth uses Simon for the whip. This visual glitch is on Bayo and its for her Smash attacks. This is likely being used for Bayonetta and it fits both Min Min and Twintelle really well. Also, it would be hard for them to change the order as the out break was only a month and a half ago. More likely its just delaying the release.

Twirlerena

Smash Cadet
The order likely didn't change and ARMS was always meant to be first. They use characters as "bases" when making the DLC mostly for an effect the characters share. For instance, Banjo used Duck Hunt as they both have a character attached to them. Byleth uses Simon for the whip. This visual glitch is on Bayo and its for her Smash attacks. This is likely being used for Bayonetta and it fits both Min Min and Twintelle really well. Also, it would be hard for them to change the order as the out break was only a month and a half ago. More likely its just delaying the release.
Do you think they would use wii fit trainer as a “base” for Waluigi?

Twirlerena

Smash Cadet
Tbh, I brought up the paraleak just to have something to discuss in this thread. It’s pretty inactive here.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
It’d be nice if we could see that image in higher quality. I can’t see Waluigi, even when I look behind King Dedede

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
With the more lanky humanoid proportions and Side-B Sports attack, Wii Fit definitely fits the Waluigi mold better than any other currently in the game.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You say it likely didn't change, but the reality is that you mean that you don't think it did, not that theres any reason to believe it didnt.

You could argue that it was default.
However, without question, we can say Corona delayed the game. We know this as a stated fact from Nintendo and Sakuria, both.

This means that we know work was delayed.
What we don't know is 'what' work was delayed.
If it had been a planned third party character as the first in the pass, it would have been almost impossible for the character to have come out anytime soon.
Sakurai has outright stated he meets with developers in person, in part due to cultural (or even language) barriers.
This became impossible with Corona, months earlier in Japan than elsewhere.
Now, would it make more sense for NIntendo to wait many more months for the next character reveal, just to stick to an arbitrary order, or would it make more sense for Nintendo to switch up the scene and the order?

So in short- we know Corona affected the game, we know that a third party character that could have been planned first would have caused an even bigger delay than a first party. NIntendo's options were to go with an in house character, or wait even longer for the new character.

This shows us high possibility that the characters were switched around.

Twirlerena

Smash Cadet
You say it likely didn't change, but the reality is that you mean that you don't think it did, not that theres any reason to believe it didnt.

However, without question, we can say Corona delayed the game. We know this as a stated fact from Nintendo and Sakuria, both.

If it had been a planned third party character as the first in the pass, it would have been almost impossible for the character to have come out anytime soon.
Sakurai has outright stated he meets with developers in person, in part due to cultural (or even language) barriers.
Now, would it make more sense for NIntendo to wait many more months for the next character reveal, just to stick to an arbitrary order, or would it make more sense for Nintendo to switch up the scene and the order?

So in short- we know Corona affected the game, we know that a third party character that could have been planned first would have caused an even bigger delay than a first party. NIntendo's options were to go with an in house character, or wait even longer for the new character.

So we might end up getting all the first party characters out of the way before third party due to the virus?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

There is absolutely reason to believe the order wasn't changed. The character is likely based off Bayonetta. We knew Bayonetta was the base BEFORE we knew it was an ARMS character. We know the glitch is related to her Smash attacks which likely implies either they were using the Smash attacks for the ARMS or they were incorporating the changing clothes/textures (as that's the actual glitch).

Characters take about 6 months to make. Sakurai has confirmed this in his Famitsu columns. The ARMS character was announced at the end of March to be released in June. The outbreak really didn't hit until around March. Even if we assume the character is coming out the last day of June, this is only 4 months to make a character. That's not enough time. We know they work on characters alongside other characters so they were likely working on the ARMS character alongside Byleth (thus the Bayonetta glitch which came in the Byleth update). They wouldn't be able to change the order like you're implying. Also, the not being able to meet thing would apply to Nintendo as it does any other company. Nintendo is in Kyoto and Sakurai is in Tokyo.

Were there delays. Probably. But the actual delay was pushing back the ARMS character (which is why the announcement seemed weird).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
There is absolutely reason to believe the order wasn't changed. The character is likely based off Bayonetta. We knew Bayonetta was the base BEFORE we knew it was an ARMS character. We know the glitch is related to her Smash attacks which likely implies either they were using the Smash attacks for the ARMS or they were incorporating the changing clothes/textures (as that's the actual glitch).

Characters take about 6 months to make. Sakurai has confirmed this in his Famitsu columns. The ARMS character was announced at the end of March to be released in June. The outbreak really didn't hit until around March. Even if we assume the character is coming out the last day of June, this is only 4 months to make a character. That's not enough time. We know they work on characters alongside other characters so they were likely working on the ARMS character alongside Byleth (thus the Bayonetta glitch which came in the Byleth update). They wouldn't be able to change the order like you're implying. Also, the not being able to meet thing would apply to Nintendo as it does any other company. Nintendo is in Kyoto and Sakurai is in Tokyo.

Were there delays. Probably. But the actual delay was pushing back the ARMS character (which is why the announcement seemed weird).
Dude... I dont know what to tell you. All your facts are off.
The virus was in China in December. It was already a big deal in Wuhan by September.
Your claim about not really hitting til March... is literally only the America's
Nintendo and Sakurai are based in Japan. Japan is right next to China. They were effected in January. Maybe sooner.

It is quite clear corona affected the release dates- not just because of math, but because we were directly told as much by Nintendo AND Sakurai separately. Whatever else youre quoting actually harms your intent. Most characters in ARMS could not be based on Bayonetta. At best Twintelle. And it could be her, though saying she or any ARMS character is based off of Bayonetta is almost completely illogical.

ENTER SPECULATION!
You know who makes sense as being based off Bayonetta? Lara Croft. A highly likely character. Yet she isnt fighters pass one. Maybe we will get her down the line, without question showing the characters were completely affected by the Rona.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Dude... I dont know what to tell you. All your facts are off.
The virus was in China in December. It was already a big deal in Wuhan by September.
Your claim about not really hitting til March... is literally only the America's
Nintendo and Sakurai are based in Japan. Japan is right next to China. They were effected in January. Maybe sooner.

It is quite clear corona affected the release dates- not just because of math, but because we were directly told as much by Nintendo AND Sakurai separately. Whatever else youre quoting actually harms your intent. Most characters in ARMS could not be based on Bayonetta. At best Twintelle. And it could be her, though saying she or any ARMS character is based off of Bayonetta is almost completely illogical.

ENTER SPECULATION!
You know who makes sense as being based off Bayonetta? Lara Croft. A highly likely character. Yet she isnt fighters pass one. Maybe we will get her down the line, without question showing the characters were completely affected by the Rona.
First, it being in China is irrelevant to Japan. Despite proximate there is still an ocean between them. The first recorded death was not until February (see here). Japan didn't close schools until the end of February (28th by this report). So my statement that it didn't hit until March is 100% accurate because any delays wouldn't happen till around then. I think we can safely say it was March.

The other thing you are misunderstanding is there is a difference between affecting the release date and affecting the order. What you are saying is the latter. They have already decided the six character back last year and they are going to come out one after another. There is going to be a set order they'll do it to get released in time. This means they'll start work on some characters and after finishing others. Now, if they were switch the order, like you are saying, that means they'd have to start work on a new character and leave the work they have completed on the back burner. The end result is its delayed further than if they just delayed the release of Fighter 6. They are likely doing the former (pushing back the release date of 6) because to do otherwise delays everything in the pass.

Second, Fighter Pass 6 was worked on alongside Fighter Pass 5 (Byleth). This is often how they get the characters out one-by-one. For example, Joker's files were already in Ultimate when the game was leaked. The day one patch added the files for Hero (then "Brave"). Since then they've hidden the files but given this, Fighter 6 was likely already in production as they've done before (this is also why Hero and Banjo's videos were recorded back to back). This would all be before COVID-19 hit Japan. So with at least 2 months of work they aren't going to halt production to start on a totally new character meant down the line.

Lastly, no, you don't understand the "bases" thing I'm talking about. When we first found out about Hero (when he was Brave) his height value was about Ness's (more specifically Mii Swordfighter who he was based on). Hero's actual height was changed latter as he's quite a bit taller. The bases has little to do with physical properties and has more to do with an attribute. Duck Hunt was the base for Banjo despite the characters being otherwise very different. They are using Bayonetta's Smash attacks as that's what's causing the glitch. This is why Papageno and others are saying it could be Min Min as her Dragon Arm would share a similar property (the glitch is Bayonetta's textures not changing during Smash attacks).

In the end, everything we know about the DLC points to ARMS always being FP6. What likely happened was not that they changed the order of the pass but just pushed the ARMS release to a latter date.

Last edited:
Top Bottom