• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Not exactly. The six clones were made precisely because they didn't have enough time and resources to make a full unique character, at least that's what I remember reading long ago.
Yes that was because of time contraints, but I thought I heard that Sakurai had to choose between Wario and the 6 clones and he went with the clones.

Last edited:

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
Yes that was because of time contraints, but I thought I heard that Sakurai had to choose between Wario and the 6 clones and he went with the clones.
Not quite, what Sakurai said was if they had a little more time to develop one more fully original character it would have been Wario.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
https://sourcegaming.info/2015/08/01/smash-clones/

If I could add one or two more characters, then [Wario] could have gotten in. Of all the characters I discarded, [he’s] ranked near the top.

However, even if I didn’t work on several clone characters he wouldn’t have gotten in.

Even if I deleted characters from before (Jigglypuff, Luigi) he wouldn’t have gotten in.

You might think it’s impossible that even if we delete one character in development that it couldn’t be replaced with another character….

I would have needed to get rid of both Marth and Roy or Mewtwo in order for Wario to get in[1]
Development isn't as simple as deleting a character and replacing it with another. The clones were decided after the main roster was finished and Sakurai wanted to pad the roster with the already available models and movesets.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I disagree.

Yes Wario Land Wario is (or at least was) my #1 most wanted first party character since Melee but I am wholly against the idea of painting by numbers and just adding mediocre and unoriginal stuff that the character did in the games as part of their moveset. Daisy and Peach already use a tennis racquet as part of their moveset, giving it to Waluigi is just more of the same. There's only so much you can do with what he did in the games, whereas when you base a moveset on his personality, the sky is the limit since you're creating the moveset from scratch. Granted it can turn out badly and I hope whoever designed Wario's current moveset got fired, but that doesn't mean the method is bad, just that certain people have bad ideas, so next time just take the good ideas.
I’d be fine with either as long as they are unique I suppose. I guess a moveset incorporating random things Maybe a bit of a struggle to design but Sakurai could probably do it

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Not quite, what Sakurai said was if they had a little more time to develop one more fully original character it would have been Wario.
https://sourcegaming.info/2015/08/01/smash-clones/

Development isn't as simple as deleting a character and replacing it with another. The clones were decided after the main roster was finished and Sakurai wanted to pad the roster with the already available models and movesets.
Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me guys.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I like giving Waluigi a racket as his "main weapon" because it's just the kind of off the wall, kind of inefficient weapon I think he'd use. I don't wanna base his whole moveset around sports or anything, but I do think having tennis be semi important to his moveset would be nice and fitting.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I like giving Waluigi a racket as his "main weapon" because it's just the kind of off the wall, kind of inefficient weapon I think he'd use. I don't wanna base his whole moveset around sports or anything, but I do think having tennis be semi important to his moveset would be nice and fitting.
I like to think of the tennis racket as a possible side tilt or side smash for Waluigi. If it's the side smash then it can work a little bit like Mega Man's side smash where Waluigi has two hitboxes, one where he swings the racket, and the other being a tennis ball being hit by the racket. The longer he charges the smash attack the further the tennis ball would be fired away.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I like to think of the tennis racket as a possible side tilt or side smash for Waluigi. If it's the side smash then it can work a little bit like Mega Man's side smash where Waluigi has two hitboxes, one where he swings the racket, and the other being a tennis ball being hit by the racket. The longer he charges the smash attack the further the tennis ball would be fired away.
I'm a big fan of some sort of "serving side special" where he can serve various things, often not tennis balls (Bowling Balls, Spinies, Bob-Ombs, maybe he can rarely pull out a blue shell and hit THAT with his tennis racket.)

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'm a big fan of some sort of "serving side special" where he can serve various things, often not tennis balls (Bowling Balls, Spinies, Bob-Ombs, maybe he can rarely pull out a blue shell and hit THAT with his tennis racket.)
If it's a special it's better off as the neutral special imo. Projectiles are usually better off in the neutral special slot, unless there are two different projectiles, in which case two special slots are used for them. But yeah there is potential with Waluigi's tennis racket, it can be a timing based move with a spice of RNG where Waluigi can use different items.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
If it weren't for Hero, I would go with an RNG-based Waluigi - of course skill would be the main focus, but there'd still be quite a bit of RNG. Waluigi's a cheater, Waluigi comes from a set of series known for RNG, it all makes a lot of sense to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
If it's a special it's better off as the neutral special imo. Projectiles are usually better off in the neutral special slot, unless there are two different projectiles, in which case two special slots are used for them. But yeah there is potential with Waluigi's tennis racket, it can be a timing based move with a spice of RNG where Waluigi can use different items.
I want it to be somthing different, cause the neutral special should be a move based off of shouting wah, so we can get Kirby shouting wah. I've thought this through and my priorities are sound.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Dude you just made me had a wicked idea in my head. What if one of Waluigi's Specials is the slow version of the dice block and instead of numbers being on the dice stuff like Bob-Ombs, Bowling Balls, Spines, and Buzzy Beetles are on it. Imagine hitting the dice block to receive one of those items to just ruin your opponent at the right moment.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
My main idea for a Waluigi moveset would be the focus on all the bat**** crazy elements of the Mario multiverse that appeared once and disappeared forever - the puke from Mario Odyssey, the bone-crushing ball machine from Mario Pinball Land, Fuzzies from Yoshi's Island, the entirety of Mario Lands 1 and 2, stuff like that.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Forget the tennis racquet, give Waluigi a completely original moveset that's more based on his personality rather than stuff he's done in the games.
Logically, the natrual order should be that the Mario games manage to give Waluigi new moves so that the games can be the direct source of references for Smash bros.

If you're assuming that Smash bros can give characters movesets not based on game references, the major problem is that such thing can actually happen to any character. But since Waluigi hasn't been chosen as a Smash fighter at this point, we'd never know whether Nintendo would do such thing to him, or to any other character that has similiar issue with Waluigi.

Yes, I'm aware that people are gonna use ROB and Captain Falcon as defense, just it's clearly that their franchise leadership is the main reason why NIntendo is willing to endow them movesets in the first place.

To be fair, Waluigi's controversy should be that he is supposed to already have gotten a certain amount of spotlights like Mario bros do, so that he desevrs to have some useful movests that might help him get into the Smash roster.

Although I don’t agree with both getting in simultaneously Mario having 11 reps is completely warranted. Mario is the flagship franchise and it realistically should have the most reps like it’s always had.
Technically it already is at this point. Making icing on the cake is still only good news to its own fanbase, not a good way to make a crossover game better.

Fire Emblem on the other hand is the bad example of overrepresentation in the roster with very little diversity between all the characters movesets. Pretty much half of the characters being Marth clones or semi-clones and all of them excluding Robin all mainly being sword users.
The problem mostly orignates from the fact most characters were chosen due to protagonist roles over picking based on fighting diversity. Hyrule Warriors, for example, at least did a better job in picking characters based on diversity of fighting aside from the triforce three.

The better route for FE presentation is probably switching a new protagonsit in each Smash title than just "accumulating" all of them. If they really want to force two FE reps in one Smash game, it'd probably be better to avoid two protagonists in one game.

On the other hand, Mario series is basically just nominating most its main cast. Mario main cast sure has its own diversity, just that doesn't mean other franchsies don't.

Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I actually tried to create a canon move-set for Waluigi not too long ago.
And I tried to only give Waluigi moves and abilities exclusive to him to kill the silly argument "Everything Waluigi does a Toad or a Koopa can do".
So yeah, hope you like it.
I originally posted this on Gamefaqs, so this is actually a repost.

PS: I think could come up with a better gimmick for Waluigi, like a second stance that changes his regular moves (A button attacks).

With that out of the way, let's begin.
90% Inspired by actual moves from the Mario spin-off games he appeared in.

tumblr_pf48viTSfT1r3x6odo1_r1_250.gif

Note: Waluigi always has his tennis racquet in hand, similar to the swordfighters (Marth, Link, Cloud, etc).

Entrance animation: His entrance from Mario Tennis Aces, but the animation is shortened.

Stance: Waluigi has his fencing stance from Mario Tennis Aces, holding a tennis racket in his right hand.

Gimmick: Moving Smash Attacks. Similar to his appearance in Mario Tennis, Waluigi is able to charge smash attacks while moving. However Waluigi's speed decreases a great amount since he's focused on charging the attack. Charging a smash attack in place is much faster, but moving while charging smash attacks is an ability exclusive to Waluigi, so make good use of it.

N-Special: Serve

Waluigi throws a tennis ball in the air, pressing the b button again makes Waluigi hit the ball. The tennis ball flies in an arch similar to Wii Fit Trainer's side b, but is much faster. The speed of the projectile depends on the timing of the second input. You can fake out the opponent by only pressing the b button once, Waluigi can dash out of the move mid animation. The tennis ball can be picked up and thrown like a regular item.

Side B: Swimming Return

Waluigi swims in the air horizontally, hitting anyone in his way. If you mash the b button, Waluigi will ascend a little bit to aid his recovery to the stage. Inspired by his Defensive Power Shot: Swimming Return.

Up B: Whirluigi

Waluigi jumps in the air in his signature Γ shape and spins fast, creating a small tornado around his body, making him fly vertically while hitting multiple times before launching the opponent. Inspired by his appearance in Mario Power Tennis.

Down B: Poison Ivy

Waluigi whips the opponent using a purple thorny vine. This move is slow on startup, but has incredible reach, and when it connects causes high damage while also inflicting poison. Can be used for Tether recovery. Inspired by his appearance in Mario Strikers Charged.

His Final Smash is called: Destruction Dance.

Waluigi, in a cinematic finish summons a dance floor and Bob-ombs rain on his opponent while he dances to the beat. Inspired by his boss fight in DDR Mario Mix.

Side Taunt: Waluigi does his taunt from Mario Tennis Aces.

Up Taunt: Waluigi brings out a thorny red rose, posing before throwing it in front of him. The rose has a small hitbox, causes 1% damage, and minimal knockback. Inspired by his win animation from Mario Party 8.

Down Taunt: Waluigi crotch chops four times in quick succession while pronouncing his name: Wa-lu-i-gi. Inspired by his appearance in Mario Strikers Charged.

Losing animation: Gives his back to the camera and looks away. Inspired by his losing animation in Mario Party 4.

Winning Pose 1: Waluigi holds his tennis racket like a guitar and riffs, before jumping in the air and celebrating. Inspired by his win animation from Mario Power Tennis.

Winning Pose 2: Waluigi lands down on one knee, and stares at the camera with glowing eyes. Inspired by his win animation from Mario Tennis Open.

Winning Pose 3: Waluigi spins around on one leg, and then stops to point at the player while posing. Inspired by his win Eagle animation from Mario Golf Toadstool Tour.

End of part 1.

========================================

Part 2

Normal Attacks:

Jab: a 2 hit combo, Waluigi elbows the opponent, and then shin kicks them. Inspired by his appearance in Game & Watch Gallery 4: BOXING.

F-tilt: Swings his tennis racket in a horizontal motion, able to deflect incoming projectiles with correct timing.

U-tilt: Waluigi uppercuts the opponent similarly to how he hits a dice block in Mario Party.

D-tilt: Waluigi uses his tennis racket like a fly swatter, can meteor smash opponents near the ledge.

Dash Attack: Waluigi does a dropkick that has amazing reach, but leaves him open if whiffed. Based of his Drop Rocket technique from Super Mario Strikers.

F-smash: A single powerful forward kick, can semi-spike near the ledge. Inspired by his Assist Trophy finishing move, which in turn was inspired by his appearance as the final boss in Mario Party 3.

U-smash: Waluigi hits the opponent with his tennis racket in a vertical motion, going from down to up similar to a lob shot.

D-smash: A multi hitting kick that can bury opponents, hits only in front of Waluigi. Inspired by his AT.

N-air: Waluigi does a flying kick similar to Mario and Luigi. Useful for breaking out of combos, also has great reach.

F-air: Waluigi does his Drop Rocket technique, a strong meteor smash with good start up.

B-air: Waluigi does a back swing with his tennis racket, has good reach and strong launch power.

U-air: Waluigi kicks upward with both legs similar to Snake's U-air.

D-air: An aerial version of his Assist Trophy's multi hitting kick attack. If the final hit connects, it can meteor smash the opponent.

Grab: Waluigi reaches forward with his free hand to grab the opponent, has great reach.

Pummel: Waluigi hits the opponent with the tennis racket's butt, causing 2-3% damage.

F-throw: Waluigi throws the opponent in the air, and hits them with his tennis racket as if they were a tennis ball.

B-throw: Waluigi puts the opponent behind his back, before jumping and doing a reverse roundhouse kick, launching them away. Inspired by his winning animation from Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games.

U-throw: Waluigi kicks the opponent, sending them up in the air.

D-throw: Waluigi lays the opponent on the ground, and starts stomping them in quick succession.

The End

Thank you for your time
tumblr_okklmo5KCn1u4yqfao2_400.gif

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I agree that Waluigi's moveset shouldn't be overly focused on the spin-offs. I do think the tennis racket will be either one of his specials or his F-Smash because it's become such an iconic part of him. If anything, I just want Waluigi to be weird as all hell and I want one attack that has bom-ombs. That's all I ask.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I posted the following in the Geno thread yesterday and most of the lessons I've learned through insider speculation I can honestly apply to Waluigi:

https://smashboards.com/threads/gen...-2-speculation.446378/page-2407#post-23832365

People have asked me to explain my reasonings for believing Waluigi is coming and it would be honestly exhausting to go over absolutely everything. I know there's three topics that I'm pretty sure I haven't covered on Smashboards though:

1. Weird mechanics with Assist trophies in Ultimate.

Assist trophies have a lot of new properties in Smash Ultimate that they've never had before. You can hurt them, you can grab them, you can throw them, and you can kill them. This is brand new for a vast majority of the assist trophies and it kind of begs the question... Why? Sure, it makes things more immersive but you can't do this to Pokeball Pokemon. Assist trophies are right on the cusp of being like playable characters like never before. You're even rewarded for killing them. This was possible for three stage bosses in Smash 4 but now it's this big ol' thing. Coincidentally, Waluigi was the first AT that this all was demonstrated with. Waluigi watched in horror as he was BTFO by Marth. That said, Nintendo wanted to show off this change and considered it important.

2. Immersion with assist trophies despite it not being necessary.

GameXplain actually pointed this out in November and covered various examples of this in the game. On Wii Fit's stage, Alucard can't be summoned because of the stage's mirrors and, on Green Hill Zone, Knuckles can't be summoned because of background elements. They're nice little details but they're not necessary. Smash in itself doesn't make logical sense. Another GameXplain example is how Chrom can technically be killed by himself through Robin's final smash, lose, and then applause for himself as another Chrom stands next to Robin. That said, they didn't have to do the Knuckles detail but they did anyways and introduced a mechanic that outright shuts off certain ATs in certain situations. Again, why?

3. Mii costumes as consolation prizes.

Sakurai has practically gone on record himself to say that Mii costumes were basically consolation prizes for characters not being playable. It was to give the fans "something" in light of their favorite not making the cut. This is especially notable with Smash Ultimate. To keep things focused, let's look at all the Assist Trophies, past and present, that have Mii costumes:

-Akira
-Knuckles
-Skull Kid
-Spring Man
-Custom Robo
-Saki
-Ashley
-Black Knight
-Isaac
-Takamaru
-Vince
-Zero

Aside from Vince, this is kind of a who's who of strongly wanted assist trophy promotions over the years. Add this with the sprawling list of popular characters that got fully costumed like Rex and Chibi Robo and it creates an even clearer picture: these really are consolation prizes and there's no plans to promote them in this game.

Obviously, a number of fairly notable characters are missing. Major female ATs like Lyn, Barbara, and Krystal are likely missing because of their outfits and the developers didn't want perverted shenanigans or CERO to ride their ass about it. With this in consideration, there's only a few super popular assist trophies with longevity in the Smash fanbase missing costumes. In my opinion, there's basically two: Bomberman and Waluigi. For obvious reasons, Bomberman would not translate well into a Mii costume (hint: its the bombs). That just leaves Wah, the Great and Powerful ™.

"But Fatman, there's nothing distinct enough about Waluigi's clothes to warrant anything aside from a hat." Oh?
Waluigi.png

Waluigi's color scheme is not only unique but he has pointed shoes. This is a detail that was included in Skull Kid's Mii costume too. "But Fatman, overalls are too boring to make an outfit." There's literally a Mario Maker Mii costume that's just overalls and a tool belt. This is especially notable when you consider how Toad and Wooly Yoshi are the only two Mario characters with full on Mii costumes.

"But Fatman, wouldn't a Waluigi Mii costume clash too much with the assist trophy?" Again, there are 12 ATs that have full on Mii costumes. Beyond that, there are technically 10 full on Mii costumes attributed to full on playable characters. That's a whopping 22 costumes in all that "clash" but Nintendo did them anyways. So, on this note, it makes the absence of a Waluigi Mii costume (among others) even stranger.

As always, ignore at your own peril.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I posted the following in the Geno thread yesterday and most of the lessons I've learned through insider speculation I can honestly apply to Waluigi:

https://smashboards.com/threads/gen...-2-speculation.446378/page-2407#post-23832365

People have asked me to explain my reasonings for believing Waluigi is coming and it would be honestly exhausting to go over absolutely everything. I know there's three topics that I'm pretty sure I haven't covered on Smashboards though:

1. Weird mechanics with Assist trophies in Ultimate.

Assist trophies have a lot of new properties in Smash Ultimate that they've never had before. You can hurt them, you can grab them, you can throw them, and you can kill them. This is brand new for a vast majority of the assist trophies and it kind of begs the question... Why? Sure, it makes things more immersive but you can't do this to Pokeball Pokemon. Assist trophies are right on the cusp of being like playable characters like never before. You're even rewarded for killing them. This was possible for three stage bosses in Smash 4 but now it's this big ol' thing. Coincidentally, Waluigi was the first AT that this all was demonstrated with. Waluigi watched in horror as he was BTFO by Marth. That said, Nintendo wanted to show off this change and considered it important.

2. Immersion with assist trophies despite it not being necessary.

GameXplain actually pointed this out in November and covered various examples of this in the game. On Wii Fit's stage, Alucard can't be summoned because of the stage's mirrors and, on Green Hill Zone, Knuckles can't be summoned because of background elements. They're nice little details but they're not necessary. Smash in itself doesn't make logical sense. Another GameXplain example is how Chrom can technically be killed by himself through Robin's final smash, lose, and then applause for himself as another Chrom stands next to Robin. That said, they didn't have to do the Knuckles detail but they did anyways and introduced a mechanic that outright shuts off certain ATs in certain situations. Again, why?

3. Mii costumes as consolation prizes.

Sakurai has practically gone on record himself to say that Mii costumes were basically consolation prizes for characters not being playable. It was to give the fans "something" in light of their favorite not making the cut. This is especially notable with Smash Ultimate. To keep things focused, let's look at all the Assist Trophies, past and present, that have Mii costumes:

-Akira
-Knuckles
-Skull Kid
-Spring Man
-Custom Robo
-Saki
-Ashley
-Black Knight
-Isaac
-Takamaru
-Vince
-Zero

Aside from Vince, this is kind of a who's who of strongly wanted assist trophy promotions over the years. Add this with the sprawling list of popular characters that got fully costumed like Rex and Chibi Robo and it creates an even clearer picture: these really are consolation prizes and there's no plans to promote them in this game.

Obviously, a number of fairly notable characters are missing. Major female ATs like Lyn, Barbara, and Krystal are likely missing because of their outfits and the developers didn't want perverted shenanigans or CERO to ride their ass about it. With this in consideration, there's only a few super popular assist trophies with longevity in the Smash fanbase missing costumes. In my opinion, there's basically two: Bomberman and Waluigi. For obvious reasons, Bomberman would not translate well into a Mii costume (hint: its the bombs). That just leaves Wah, the Great and Powerful ™.

"But Fatman, there's nothing distinct enough about Waluigi's clothes to warrant anything aside from a hat." Oh?View attachment 261871

Waluigi's color scheme is not only unique but he has pointed shoes. This is a detail that was included in Skull Kid's Mii costume too. "But Fatman, overalls are too boring to make an outfit." There's literally a Mario Maker Mii costume that's just overalls and a tool belt. This is especially notable when you consider how Toad and Wooly Yoshi are the only two Mario characters with full on Mii costumes.

"But Fatman, wouldn't a Waluigi Mii costume clash too much with the assist trophy?" Again, there are 12 ATs that have full on Mii costumes. Beyond that, there are technically 10 full on Mii costumes attributed to full on playable characters. That's a whopping 22 costumes in all that "clash" but Nintendo did them anyways. So, on this note, it makes the absence of a Waluigi Mii costume (among others) even stranger.

As always, ignore at your own peril.
Probably doesn’t work on pokeball Pokemon because assist trophies represent a wider array of characters which means they are more requested which in turn means Sakurai wanted to make the characters people actually care about a bit more immersive while they aren’t playable. People don’t really care about pokeball promotions therefore he probably never wanted to waste the time of doing it for them.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, it just seems strange to assume that NIntndo view Waluigi a special being from all the nonplayable beings including assists and pokeballs. It's simply that if they do think he is special, they could had done him a fighter in past Smash games.

And I wouldn't think that such speculation Waluigi's chance much bigger than all other unchosen characters, which is simply denied by the fact Isabelle and Ridley are chosen over Waluigi to be the promoted characters in this round.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
It's great to have a game where the snubbed Camelot Bros. are both fully playable
I wouldn't mind fan opinion, just in case it's serious, I'd like to know if I miss the information that Waluigi was supposed to be Camelot creation or property.
At least we can tell that Waluigi isn't a protagonist in any Camelot game while Issac is.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I wouldn't mind fan opinion, just in case it's serious, I'd like to know if I miss the information that Waluigi was supposed to be Camelot creation or property.
At least we can tell that Waluigi isn't a protagonist in any Camelot game while Issac is.
He's a creation, Nintendo owns him.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
He was created to be Wario's partner for Mario Tennis when Camelot was making it. He was created by them but he is still 100% owned by Nintendo just like Golden Sun is

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
He was created to be Wario's partner for Mario Tennis when Camelot was making it. He was created by them but he is still 100% owned by Nintendo just like Golden Sun is
To clarify, I'd like to know if there is any official source. The more commonly known possiblity is that Waluigi was brought in along with Mario, Daisy and other main characters in a Mario sport games, just his debut game happens to be made by Camelot. In that case his design is still from the Mario core team. I may be wrong, just in case I'd like to know if actual reference can be found.

The other theory is that other exclusive characters like Shirley and Alex are more likely to be Camelot originals, due to their exclusiveness and similiarity with characters from Camelot's own creations.

And still, the other issue of the original comment is that such move doesn't make Waluigi equivalent with Issac depends on their gaming roles, since like said, we still have other Camelot characters on hand.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Even as someone who really wants Waluigi in Smash, I find something about the phrase "Waluigi mains" so cursed in the best way - like, I've never really thought about the prospect of someone walking in to a big, major tournament and landing their "P2" pin on Waluigi, it's such a surreal thing to think about - the idea of Waluigi being a playable character in a major esport like Smash - it almost reminds me of my initial reaction to Piranha Plant, even if Waluigi isn't exactly as weird a character as the plant.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Talked about it a little bit in the Geno thread but I'm once again back to talk about how hard Waluigi is slept on. I decided to go back and read my massive 15 page Geno essay and I pulled this resource from it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...pw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=729442469

Tens of thousands of votes from around the world and Waluigi was ranked 8th of all the first party characters, just one below Ridley. Honestly, think about that... Hard deconfirmed for Smash 4 and kind of mocked by Sakurai himself and people STILL voted for him a noticeable amount. This isn't like Isaac who was just flat out not in Smash 4, this was an NPC in game that people still strongly wanted playable. Another thing to note is that these tens of thousands of votes are primarily from forum dwellers like us AKA the people that actually make speculation a hobby. Imagine if the response is this noticeable from this crowd how it would be among casual fans.

Remember this poll from last year?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/02/random_waluigi_wins_nintendos_official_valentines_day_poll

Waluigi not only got almost ten times more votes than Isabelle who was in second, he managed to get more than all the 11 other candidates COMBINED. Once again, people sorely underrate just how much people like Waluigi.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
If Waluigi ever makes it in, I think his special abilities should be spin-off based, while his regular moves should be wacky as hell (a bit like Wii Fit Trainer).

I'd see his Down B related to Mario Tennis. He's a Defense character in that game, so he could wack his tennis racket around and use it as a reflector for projectiles.

His Side B would be something akin to Wario's. He jumps in his kart and dashes forward. Obvious reference to Mario Kart.

His Neutral B could be dice-related, adding a bit of RNG on the effect of the throw. That'd be his tie-in to Mario Party.

His Up B is the only one I'm not sure about. I could see him do a weird frog-jump with his legs doing a diamond shape before jumping really high. He is a lanky character after all. Otherwise maybe a copy of the fart from Wario, as they are connected the same way Luigi has similar moves to Mario. But I'd change some of the properties to make it slightly different.

Rest of his moves don't specifically matter, as I'm certain they'd be Waluigiesque anyways.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I bet that if Waluigi joins Smash, all the people who drew Pepes of K. Rool and Ridley dabbing on Waluigi will draw Pepes of Waluigi dabbing on Geno or something, acting like they wanted Waluigi all that time even through they quite obviously didn't.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
There's a type of person that likes to dunk on others just because dunking is fun, not because they have any real disagreement. We call those people "a**holes."

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
If Waluigi ever makes it in, I think his special abilities should be spin-off based, while his regular moves should be wacky as hell (a bit like Wii Fit Trainer).
It's not a very new topic. Like you say, the premise would be that he is already chosen, but at this point given he isn't, the focus should be on how to make Waluigi chosen from all Mario candidates.

The idea remains to have othe defects, one of them is, as you just note, other sport-based franchises reps would be more appropriate than adding more Mario reps in the case, adding that they're the real experts.

Rather than "Waluigiesque" "wacky" as adjectives, it could be more fun to dig in what special moves are entirely exclusive to Waluigi while othe NIntendo characters cannot do.

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
I'm currently replaying Ocarina of Time with a ROM back that replaces Link with Waluigi.
it's better then ever

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
The idea remains to have othe defects, one of them is, as you just note, other sport-based franchises reps would be more appropriate than adding more Mario reps in the case, adding that they're the real experts.
Name me a video game character that is not from the Mario series that has played Tennis, Kart Racing, Party Boards, Golf and so on and so forth. Like, no seriously, what sport-based franchise has had all these many games under their belt with a recognizable character to boot?

Waluigi using sports as part of his moveset is fine because these are the majority of games he appears in. It's like Incineroar using wrestling for his moveset in Smash, it fits him even though Pokemon is a JRPG and not a wrestling game. Likewise, Waluigi using sports as part of his moveset is acceptable since he's become synonymous with Mario sport games at this point. Daisy is in as an echo so she's not contending for that moveset. Toad has material from Captain Toad to pull off from. Which leaves us with Waluigi as the most suitable character to add a sports based moveset for.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Name me a video game character that is not from the Mario series that has played Tennis, Kart Racing, Party Boards, Golf and so on and so forth. Like, no seriously, what sport-based franchise has had all these many games under their belt with a recognizable character to boot?

Waluigi using sports as part of his moveset is fine because these are the majority of games he appears in. It's like Incineroar using wrestling for his moveset in Smash, it fits him even though Pokemon is a JRPG and not a wrestling game. Likewise, Waluigi using sports as part of his moveset is acceptable since he's become synonymous with Mario sport games at this point. Daisy is in as an echo so she's not contending for that moveset. Toad has material from Captain Toad to pull off from. Which leaves us with Waluigi as the most suitable character to add a sports based moveset for.
That would be like saying Captain Falcon, Mac and Wi-Fi Trainer weren't supposed to win over Waluigi by your saying. I don't know about other new franchises' chance, but saying they don't deserve to complete isn't a fair thought.

As already told, the main focus now is on how to make Waluigi stand out and become a fighter. Sport-based move isn't an advantage as it's a must have to all Mario characters. The whole sport move idea is more like an after talk.

Beside, it's been mentioned fans should concern more about Waluigi 's "identity crisis" issue given he is the last main cast of the franchise without backstory, and he is obviously not a professional athlete like Gene and Shirley. Forcing Waluigi to represent what he isn't just to have a role in Smash fight isn't really a smart idea here.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
fans should concern more about Waluigi 's "identity crisis" issue given he is the last main cast of the franchise without backstory
i'm fine without a backstory, charles martinet makes his character clear: self-pity who cheats because he feels cheated

sound enough reason to me, i dont need a baby waluigi origin

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I've said my view on this site before in another thread somewhere but I figure it's worth bringing in here for posterity.

Waluigi could be the most wanted Smash Bros character in this current moment in time, and I'll say right here that he is definitely the top 1st party character.

Not Doomguy. Not Dante. Not Bandanna Waddle Dee. Maybe Sora can come close, but he's got big issues of his own.

Waluigi.

Whether that desire is ironic or not, I don't think that changes much of anything. Sans was an absolutely huge deal and was exclusively a meme. People care about this character in a way unlike any other in Nintendo. In the same way that Isabelle was propelled by fans to role of almost mascot of her series, Waluigi has been propelled to a similar role of memehood where even the company itself has taken to playfully dumping on this Villain wannabe.

We may not see it much in the online Smash speculation scene in places like Smashboards or Reddit or Gamefaqs or anywhere else in our fan bubble, but I tell you in the mainstream world of people who don’t have time or patience to speculate about Smash Bros all day. I will bet if you find someone on the street with an at most middling knowledge of video games or internet culture and ask them who would be a good pick in Smash Bros, I don’t think you’ll hear fairly common fan picks like KOS-MOS, or Pyra/Mythra, or Geno, or Sol Badguy. But they probably do know Waluigi. That’s the audience for a character like this. And I think that audience is probably larger than we even know. I refuse to count him out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom