• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Actually, Pseudo-clones are different from clones and semi-clones, clones and semi clones borrow most or some moves from the fighter they were cloned from. Pseudo-clones on the other hand, share only very few moves (such as lucas and ness). Wario and Waluigi would only share two moves (neutral and up special) with Mario and Luigi respectively, the rest of their movesets would be unique, so it's not that bad.
Still a massive downgrade from original movesets, which in the case of Wario is what we already have.
Actually the Kamehameha-like move I thought of wasn't based on the memes, it was actually based on Arale's N'cha cannon from Dragon Ball.
Listen, you really need to work on self-awareness. And reading comprehension.

D

Deleted member

Look people just do what i do and simply mute the guy.

Not only does he do nothing but spout bad takes but he doesnt even have the decency to try and back up his baseless claims and he refuses to listen to any criticism or reasoning against his bias.

im pretty sure he'd rather want people to ignore him than chastise him for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Buddy if you cant tell the difference between a fully flegded character and an assist trophy that moves left and right with a tennis racket then what makes you think your able to play any matches that involves more characters and items?
bro im always getting lost in item matches, dont hate the player, hate the game :nifty:

famous_box

Smash Rookie
If waluigi does get a slot, I'm assuming they're going to use the project m moveset like they did with Ridley. That would make the most sense

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If waluigi does get a slot, I'm assuming they're going to use the project m moveset like they did with Ridley. That would make the most sense
how exactly did they use the project m moveset

famous_box

Smash Rookie
Many of Ridley's moves are similar to the legacy XP version. I'm not an expert, but I know most of the specials and some of the air attacks are the same. That said, waluigis moveset is really wacky in legacy. Maybe too much for Daddy sakurai

Last edited:

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
Ah, here's the thread I've been meaning to find. Waluigi time is coming boiz, I feel it.

I am also petty so I must address something.

I would be more inclined to have Waluigi in if the “fans” wouldn’t of made him such a meme. Like their movesets are so memey.

I don’t think Waluigi would have a “WAH” be one of his specials. That’s just absolutely stupid. I think if you want a clever move set they need to take from aspects of what he represents: sports, luck, and cheating. You could create an actual creative move set with that in mind but everyone goes for the obvious crap like “side special should be a big WAH”.

I don’t know. I somewhat want Waluigi after the confirmation of more DLC but I’m very skeptical of this happening and I’m very middle ground with wanting him due to the memes and fake fans ruining the character for me.
Waluigi is "stupid" though. When was the last time you saw someone able to swim through the air? That's stupid, but it's awesome. So him literally screaming "WAH" actually perfectly aligns with him in my view. It captures his essence entirely. It is a bit memey, but you can't deny that part of the reason Waluigi is so memey is because of his personality and antics. Also, it isn't inherently clever making him have sporty gimmicks and "luck" in his moveset(btw when has Waluigi EVER been associated with luck?). Sporty gimmicks are actually intellectually lazy in my opinion. Now cheating is definitely an essential part of Waluigi. I fully agree with that.

I actually think it would be really hilarious to have Waluigi yell "WAH!" and hurt people(and then have Kirby able to copy it >:D). I would love it honestly, and I'm not a fake new fan either. I've loved Waluigi ever since Mario Strikers Charged came out, and supported him in Smash ever since(long before memes). And I too dislike the memes overshadowing the true fans who want to dial that back a bit to show some legitimacy. That said, I would have no problem with Sakurai doing a little nod to the memes with a move like that, or a taunt. I mean Waluigi does say WAH, so who cares? I find it's actually a tame way to make that zeitgeist of Waluigi memes put into his moveset. Like if 90% of his moveset is down-to-earth Waluigi stuff(if I can even say that), who cares if ~10% is a memey thing or two? As long as it functions uniquely I have no qualms about it. It's not like Waluigi yelling WAH! is contrary to his character..it's just an exaggeration...which is exactly what Waluigi is.

I would absolutely relish the chance to kill someone by yelling WAH! at them, personally.

In regards to Waluigi's moveset. I believe that three major things need to be taken note of in order to make a great moveset.

First is the origin of Waluigi, he was made to be Luigi's doppelganger and Wario's partner. So obviously there has to be moves from Waluigi that reflects this aspect of him, perhaps some aerials or Smash attacks would resemble moves from Wario and Luigi.
Nice

The second aspect is his spin-off role. Waluigi is mainly used in the spin-off games. Hell, he was originally made for Mario Tennis, a spin-off game. Since we have yet to have a character that incorporates the Mario spin-offs in their movesets, Waluigi could very well do that since it fits his origin role, which is him being used in spin-offs. For example, he could use Tennis in one of his specials as a projectile.
Oof

The third and final aspect is his cheating personality. Waluigi's animations and moveset should resemble a playstyle where he plays dirty and is generally not honest. Perhaps you could give him his stomping move that he uses in his assist trophy to ground opponents or spike them in the air, that's just one example.
Nice
First off, this was largely very good post. There's just one thing that irks me about Waluigi moveset discussions.

I assume as a Waluigi fan you want a Waluigi game. Therefore you do not want him merely in spin-offs, right? ...To not be defined as merely a spin-off character? So why define him with spin-off gimmicks? Convenience isn't an excuse. How about we have a future-proofed Waluigi that uses basic attacks like the Bros + Wario with special abilities here and there(air swim, whirluigi, dance moves, some special "cheat" mechanic). People seem to forget it's not what a character VISUALLY looks like/does that makes them unique, it's how they function mechanically.

To me, the extent of spin-off gimmicks begin and end with his tennis racket. I say that because it is his origin, therefore it's kind of impossible to ignore it. He was created in tennis, so give him the racket. Boom. But we have that racket with the understanding that Waluigi is not a "tennis man" or "tennis character" he is Waluigi first, a character created in Mario Tennis second. The game is notably not called Waluigi Tennis, and nor is he the main character. When you just dump the mantle of being the "spin-off poster child" you cheapen his legitimacy as just solely Waluigi. It's a fundamental attribution error, to relate this to psychology. Waluigi doesn't need the sporty gimmicks. You can do it and still make him be unique, but that is not the proper direction to take the character. We need DISTANCE from the spin-offs, not relation. Waluigi needs to be a standalone character first, because he is. Making him a the "spin-off rep" is like pushing him further into the ground, instead of digging him out.

Even totally ignoring the future game consideration, I still don't think Waluigi should represent the spin-offs. They should stay represented via items, because there is no one character that represents those games. (If I were to pick one though, it'd be Toad simply because he is sort of the "item guy" canonically whilst also appearing in same said games) So just slapping it onto Waluigi is lazy, improper and uninspired. Waluigi's moveset needs Waluigi-exclusive things in it, not generalities. You're in a sense admitting if you don't give him spin-off gimmicks you can't make a moveset. And that is DEMONSTRABLY false, given Pac Man, Wii Fit, Plant, Isabelle, etc. Sakurai doesn't need the spin-offs, nor does Waluigi. Leave them behind and let Waluigi shine as his own dignified character.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
First off, this was largely very good post. There's just one thing that irks me about Waluigi moveset discussions.

I assume as a Waluigi fan you want a Waluigi game. Therefore you do not want him merely in spin-offs, right? ...To not be defined as merely a spin-off character? So why define him with spin-off gimmicks? Convenience isn't an excuse. How about we have a future-proofed Waluigi that uses basic attacks like the Bros + Wario with special abilities here and there(air swim, whirluigi, dance moves, some special "cheat" mechanic). People seem to forget it's not what a character VISUALLY looks like/does that makes them unique, it's how they function mechanically.

To me, the extent of spin-off gimmicks begin and end with his tennis racket. I say that because it is his origin, therefore it's kind of impossible to ignore it. He was created in tennis, so give him the racket. Boom. But we have that racket with the understanding that Waluigi is not a "tennis man" or "tennis character" he is Waluigi first, a character created in Mario Tennis second. The game is notably not called Waluigi Tennis, and nor is he the main character. When you just dump the mantle of being the "spin-off poster child" you cheapen his legitimacy as just solely Waluigi. It's a fundamental attribution error, to relate this to psychology. Waluigi doesn't need the sporty gimmicks. You can do it and still make him be unique, but that is not the proper direction to take the character. We need DISTANCE from the spin-offs, not relation. Waluigi needs to be a standalone character first, because he is. Making him a the "spin-off rep" is like pushing him further into the ground, instead of digging him out.

Even totally ignoring the future game consideration, I still don't think Waluigi should represent the spin-offs. They should stay represented via items, because there is no one character that represents those games. (If I were to pick one though, it'd be Toad simply because he is sort of the "item guy" canonically whilst also appearing in same said games) So just slapping it onto Waluigi is lazy, improper and uninspired. Waluigi's moveset needs Waluigi-exclusive things in it, not generalities. You're in a sense admitting if you don't give him spin-off gimmicks you can't make a moveset. And that is DEMONSTRABLY false, given Pac Man, Wii Fit, Plant, Isabelle, etc. Sakurai doesn't need the spin-offs, nor does Waluigi. Leave them behind and let Waluigi shine as his own dignified character.
When it comes to the three points I mentioned I don't want any one to overshadow the other. Like I don't him to be a simple clone of Wario/Luigi, it's good to pay respects to a certain part of the character as long as they're not the only part of a character. When I mentioning spin-offs I was mostly referring to his Tennis racket, since if it was up to me I'd choose only one spin-off ability for him and that would be it.

I never implied Waluigi should be an entirely spin-off gimmick character, I merely meant he should have one or two moves from his spin-off games as homage to a part of the character's history. Like the Tennis racket could work as his neutral special or his F-Smash, or both if Sakurai wants to. Waluigi is mostly used in spin-offs, and as much as I want him to get his own game (seriously why is he the only one of the four Italian plumbers to not get a game) it hasn't happened yet. Your idea of a future proofed Waluigi is good though, if Waluigi ever gets a game I want that game to be represented as well as part of his moveset. I believe it's fine if Waluigi gets one move from the spin-off games, the Tennis racket even appears in his assist trophy lol.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I think Waluigi has a chance for the next wave of DLC, but mostly because of the amount of fan outcry there's been for his inclusion.

Normally I consider Assists done and over with but he's a very special case, and I think he has a chance.

D

Deleted member

Waluigi is "stupid" though. When was the last time you saw someone able to swim through the air? That's stupid, but it's awesome. So him literally screaming "WAH" actually perfectly aligns with him in my view. It captures his essence entirely. It is a bit memey, but you can't deny that part of the reason Waluigi is so memey is because of his personality and antics.
I actually think it would be really hilarious to have Waluigi yell "WAH!" and hurt people(and then have Kirby able to copy it >:D). I would love it honestly, and I'm not a fake new fan either.
I find it's actually a tame way to make that zeitgeist of Waluigi memes put into his moveset. Like if 90% of his moveset is down-to-earth Waluigi stuff(if I can even say that), who cares if ~10% is a memey thing or two? As long as it functions uniquely I have no qualms about it. It's not like Waluigi yelling WAH! is contrary to his character..it's just an exaggeration...which is exactly what Waluigi is.

I would absolutely relish the chance to kill someone by yelling WAH! at them, personally.
Waluigi isnt a meme character, people nowadays take memes too far ( both those who love memes and hate them ).

Back in the day Luigi was a way bigger meme than Waluigi is. He had bigger and more widespread memes like weegee, mama Luigi, the death stare, ytps and the internet loved him for it and was able to seperate the memes from the character. But nowadays youre either a gigantic memer or an edgelord, there's no in between apparently.

And besides hes a Mario character. If a guy wanting to be popular by participating in zany sport events in a world thats just as nonsensical breaks your suspension of disbelief then i dunno what to say lmao.
First of all being something being zany doesnt automatically means its a meme. Only boring people have that mentality.

Second of all as i highlighted the world of Mario is extremely nonsensical and there are alot more characters that are weirder than Waluigi.

Wah is just something he says, something thats verbal and something Wario also says and has said long before Waluigi debuted, thats is. Theres alot more to Waluigi than him saying wah, character and ability wise.

And despite all of that you call him a stupid meme character and advocate a move the internet made up. Shows how much you care about the character.

Waluigi having even a move thats based on internet meme fanon is a bigger insult than him having a moveset revolved around sports because these internet memes did to Waluigi what Nintendo has done to Wario, butcher a character whos got plenty of traits by
stretching one small trait to ridiculous proportions to the point thats their main and only trait. Wario picking his nose and cracking a few gross jokes is now a fart fetish thanks to Warioware.

Wario was a cool character who only cared about getting rich and being better than Mario, which pushed him into either being a villian or an anti hero. His real series, the Wario Land games was about going on treasure hunts and using his Herculean strenght to defeat anyone standing in his way.

Warioware retconned him into a lazy biker and the only reason he got that series was because the devs wanted to use a popular character to promote their new series. Hes barely featured in the series hes shoehorned in and there are more minigames about gross humor than about what made Wario the character he is, or rather was.

And then Brawl butchered him further by turning him into pants pooping biker because apperently one minigame and fee cutscenes is more important than the games that defined him.

So not only are you hypocritical for criticising Wunderwaft Wunderwaft about not appreciating Waluigi's character but youre views are more flawed than his.

Mizuo84

Smash Rookie
Forgive the font, I was kind of rushing it and the WF Gothic font costs like 500 dollars to use to make these kinds of edits and that's crazy.

This is the NEW Waluigi support thread for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and maybe onward.

Waluigi is an enigma of a character. The newest of the plumbers made back in 2000 for Mario Tennis on the Nintendo 64 by Camelot, Waluigi has been a very popular character used solely in spinoffs and spinoffs alone. Like how Wario is meant to be an evil Mario, Waluigi was designed the same for Luigi... and so Wario could have a teammate in tennis. Charles Martinet, the voice of every Mario plumber, described Waluigi of a character of self-pity and one who cheats because he views everything in the world as cheating against him while everyone else in the world prospers. Waluigi has an eccentric personality. He's whimsical, mischevious, and is a master of Dance Dance Revolution and anything Michael Jackson. His appeal comes from his character, personality, maybe because he looks funny, and more. He's one of the most popular Mario characters in general despite not having a game.

While Mario is the main adventurer, Luigi takes on mansions, and Wario treks for treasure and capitalism, Waluigi has never once stepped foot outside of the Mario Party/Mario Sports/Mario Kart realm. For all intents and purposes, Waluigi is the definitive Mario spinoff character. People often say that's his weakness when really it's his greatest strength. :ultdaisy: was often considered a rival as a spinoff-themed character, but since she's an Echo Fighter, that simply eliminates any competition that could rival that spot as his main gimmick. No character in Smash Bros. has ever used a full list of Mario spinoff titles to his advantage. Hell, his Assist Trophy right now does exactly that by referencing his first appearance in Mario Tennis.

At face value it just sounds like boring sports, but there's plenty to pull from and a lot of imagination to use that could flesh him out. These sports games and kart racing are a lot more than that, and they offer interesting ideas oh how the character can be made.

But he was deconfirmed! He's an Assist! How could he possibly have a chance?!
Mix in some DLC and a pinch of optimism, and anyone is fair game. It may be unlikely as of right now during this current Fighter's Pass, but there is always a possibility of additional DLC beyond the Fighters Pass, and maybe even a second one. We have no clue what Sakurai's plans are for DLC and where he wants to end it.

If Sakurai does choose to bring an Assist Trophy back and rework them as a playable fighter, Waluigi is among the top characters to pick on the list. His immense fanbase is popular, enough to rival those who demand Isaac, Lyndis, Skull Kid, and probably the biggest fish out of that bunch, Dr. Kawashima Shadow the Hedgehog. He's been a top favorite want for many characters starting in the Brawl era, and the same goes for most characters in the list I just gave.

Waluigi being playable while also being an Assist Trophy may sound like a paradox, but :ultrobin: can use :ultchrom: in a final smash to kill a playable :ultchrom:. It's been done before, and isn't impossible to have happen again.

But Sakurai said he'll never make it in no matter what!

View attachment 228520
While this was probably the most heartbreaking thing about it back in 2014, it doesn't seal his fate forever. It never had, as much with anyone else.

Cloud Strife was arguably the sole icon of Final Fantasy after having the most successful installation in the series. However, Final Fantasy VII had never once appeared on a Nintendo console. Smash Bros. does have an eye for promoting certain characters and their games through means such as their moveset or the inclusion itself (Roy and Corrin), and promoting a game that was on Sony's PSX console, a rival company, Nintendo would have absolutely no gain from it. Even Snake had 4 games on Nintendo systems.

People were arguing for something more generic like the Black Mage that could be used as a composite from the original Nintendo hexalogy or Terra from FF6. Others argued for different Square characters such as Geno, Sora, and Lara Croft.

However, in 2015, Cloud was officially announced as DLC for Smash 4, despite all odds going against him. :4cloud: And in 2019, Final Fantasy VII was ported to Nintendo Switch.
Ridley was a fan favorite character, mostly in Western countries. However, it was clear from the beginning that he was always something bigger than what Sakurai originally intended. For three games in a row, he was deconfirmed under the argument that he was simply too big for Smash, either because he wouldn't look right or wouldn't be accurate to the character. He was made from a boss in Brawl to a stage hazard on Pyrosphere in Smash 4.

When the Smash 4 DLC ballot came around, the fans made their statement. And in E3 2018, jaws dropped as Captain America came home. :ultridley:
King K. Rool hadn't appeared in a mainline Donkey Kong game since DK 64 in 1999. His last appearance in any game in general was Mario Super Sluggers in 2008. When Retro Studios revived the Donkey Kong Country series back in 2010, there was no King K. Rool in sight. He wasn't in the sequel, Tropical Freeze, either. He only appeared in Smash 4 as a trophy and nothing more. His situation was similar to Ridleys' but not identical. Ridley was always appearing in most Metroid titles, but King K. Rool was dropped from even his own main series when the franchise was picked back up. For all we knew, he was just a dead character.

When the Smash 4 DLC ballot came around, Sakurai and Nintendo as a whole as legitimately surprised by the fan calling for a Kremling King. They were legitimately unaware just how popular his requests were. In August 2018, K. Rool came home. :ultkrool:
Rareware was one of Nintendo's best second party IPs. They were making bangers after bangers of video game hits, such as Donkey Kong Country, Killer Instinct, Battletoads, and for this instance, the Banjo Kazooie duology on Nintendo 64. In late 1990s America, Banjo would appear in generic advertisements for the system in general. In 2002, Microsoft bought Rare from Nintendo's grip. They did make a third Banjo game in 2008, but it came to lukewarm reviews. Banjo had been a highly requested character for years, but since he was locked behind Rare, and more behind Microsoft, his chances were a lot more slimmed. Microsoft with the Xbox brand was just as competitive as Sony, a similar instance with Cloud. But by the 2010s, Microsoft was becoming friendlier with rival companies and eventually collaborating. In 2018, Xbox and Nintendo announced crossplay with Minecraft. However, this created a divide between people who were arguing towards Banjo and those who were arguing towards other Microsoft characters such as Minecraft Steve (due to the crossplay) or Master Chief.

In E3 2019, many people were ecstatic to find that Banjo and Kazooie came home despite not having been in a game for 10 years.

Could Waluigi not show up as future DLC? It's just as likely as him showing up. The main thing is to never give up. It may not be today, but there will always be tomorrow. Always be optimistic in the direst of situations. Waluigi, like many others who were seemingly hopeless before him, has thousands of supporters somewhere in the world. His day may not be today, but once it comes, people will celebrate, and streamers will scream very loudly into their microphones. Keep hoping, and we will one day get a wah-volution.

View attachment 228529

--Misc. Thread Things--
This will develop as the thread continues; movesets, alts, and support lists go here.

I want this to happen sooo bad. I will stand outside of Nintendo HQ until it happens. ADD ME TO THE SUPPORT LIST BRÖTHER

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
First of all being something being zany doesnt automatically means its a meme. Only boring people have that mentality.

Second of all as i highlighted the world of Mario is extremely nonsensical and there are alot more characters that are weirder than Waluigi.

Wah is just something he says, something thats verbal and something Wario also says and has said long before Waluigi debuted, thats is. Theres alot more to Waluigi than him saying wah, character and ability wise.

And despite all of that you call him a stupid meme character and advocate a move the internet made up. Shows how much you care about the character.

Waluigi having even a move thats based on internet meme fanon is a bigger insult than him having a moveset revolved around sports because these internet memes did to Waluigi what Nintendo has done to Wario, butcher a character whos got plenty of traits by
stretching one small trait to ridiculous proportions to the point thats their main and only trait. Wario picking his nose and cracking a few gross jokes is now a fart fetish thanks to Warioware.

Wario was a cool character who only cared about getting rich and being better than Mario, which pushed him into either being a villian or an anti hero. His real series, the Wario Land games was about going on treasure hunts and using his Herculean strenght to defeat anyone standing in his way.

Warioware retconned him into a lazy biker and the only reason he got that series was because the devs wanted to use a popular character to promote their new series. Hes barely featured in the series hes shoehorned in and there are more minigames about gross humor than about what made Wario the character he is, or rather was.

And then Brawl butchered him further by turning him into pants pooping biker because apperently one minigame and fee cutscenes is more important than the games that defined him.

So not only are you hypocritical for criticising Wunderwaft Wunderwaft about not appreciating Waluigi's character but youre views are more flawed than his.
That's what I mean when I called Waluigi "stupid." The entire Mario universe is nonsensical, or "stupid." I don't think he's a "stupid meme character." Waluigi is one of my favorite fictional characters ever. I don't think he's a meme character, he's a character that's memed. I don't think you understood what I said.

I get your perspective of not wanting to twist Waluigi into a meme-machine with nothing of substance. But like I said, shouting WAH and having it hurt people really isn't a stretch for Waluigi in all seriousness. It fits his archetype, despite it being insanely exaggerated via memes. If you want not even a slight hint of anything "memey" in his moveset I won't argue that. I get it and I'm not against that perspective at all. But I think you're overexaggerating. Plus this is all arguing about a hypothetical move anyway.

If they turn Waluigi into nothing but "WAH" and "Waluigi time", then you'll have a point. But having a nonsensical, cheating, air-swimming character yell WAH is not turning him from his character IMO. I find it's both memey, yet compatible with his true character. Are you going to tell me that Waluigi saying WAH is anti-Waluigi? Of course not. You're just thinking it will make Nintendo turn him into a different character, which I honestly don't think will happen. If Waluigi gets in the limelight I'm sure he will have most of his original traits intact. And be honest, Waluigi doesn't have much of a backstory to ruin.

I don't see how I'm a hypocrite, nor do I see how my view is flawed. I think you're exaggerating a bit.

And as a question, what traits do you think Waluigi needs to have represented in his moveset?

EDIT: Add me to the support list of course!

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I don't wanna say I explicitly support Waluigi, but I have grown softer to the idea of him being in. I kinda always had this idea that Waluigi should be an RNG-heavy character but that title sadly went to DQ Hero. It doesn't even make sense in the context of the Hero's character. He's a Hero who is known for saving the world from demon lords and dragons and stuff and he plays like a semi-incompetent gambling buffoon who potentially blows himself up?

It would make much more sense for Waluigi to be a "roll the dice" kind of character because he's a cheater who likes to push his luck. He should have moves that have the potential to backfire on him disastrously if things go wrong, but sometimes go sweetly for him as well (I.E. having a move where he pulls out a fake item block from Mario Kart that is sometimes a real item block). Honestly I don't feel Sakurai thought this through well enough.

D

Deleted member

That's what I mean when I called Waluigi "stupid." The entire Mario universe is nonsensical, or "stupid."
I dont think you know what the word meme entails.

Calling something a meme means that you like it ironically, that its nothing more but a joke.

Genuinely enjoying a fantasy setting and not calling it a meme isnt mutually exclusive and as i highlighted you'd have to be devoid of any joy if any media thats slightly out of the ordinary is a meme.

But like I said, shouting WAH and having it hurt people really isn't a stretch for Waluigi in all seriousness.
But having a nonsensical, cheating, air-swimming character yell WAH is not turning him from his character IMO. I find it's both memey, yet compatible with his true character.

Wah is just something he says,

Something thats verbal

And something Wario also says

And has said long before Waluigi debuted

That's is.
I dont get what's so diffucult or confusing about my comment.

I spaced it out just you don't get lost again when reading through it.

Theres alot more to Waluigi than him saying wah, character and ability wise.
Were talking about a character whos got creative abilities such as swimming through the air, creates tornados, has amazing leg strenght, create purple thorns, and can teleport.

You're just thinking it will make Nintendo turn him into a different character
And be honest, Waluigi doesn't have much of a backstory to ruin.

Waluigi having even a move thats based on internet meme fanon is a bigger insult than him having a moveset revolved around sports.

Because these internet memes did to Waluigi what Nintendo has done to Wario,

Butcher a character whos got plenty of traits by stretching one small trait to ridiculous proportions to the point thats their main and only trait.

Wario's gross side of picking his nose and cracking a few gross jokes is now exaggerated to a fart fetish thanks to Warioware and Brawl.
Have you even tried reading what i said? You talk as if havent addressed and debunked your arguments. It's really not that difficult to follow but i'll try explaining it as simply as possible.

Wario was a well written anti hero

His gross trait was very small.

Warioware butchered him into a lazy biker.

His minigames have more toilet humor than themes that made Wario who he is, one of them being one where he farts. Which is just a minigame.

And Brawl valued an app tier spin off, one minigame, and a few cutscenes ( his bike )

Than the games that defined him, put him on the map. The main games is now the cheap spin off and vice versa thanks to Warioware.

This
Wario_Defeats_Enemies_WarioWorld.png

Is now this

Wariowaft.jpg

The internet did the same thing with Waluigi, it ruined the legitimacy of genuine fans appreciation for the character because they were drowned out by these memers who only like him ironically.

Smash could save him from this nonsense by showing the actual, canon abilities that made him popular in the first place and you want to the nail in his coffin by shoehorning some meme that's made up memers.

And be honest, Waluigi doesn't have much of a backstory to ruin.
First of all were talking about his character.

Second of all he does have a backstory, he trained hard in the shadows so that he can overthrow the Mario bros in terms of popularity.

And lastly there are alot more reasons to like Waluigi, he isnt just "wah" the character as you claim he is.

I for one like Waluigi because of his design, voice, personality, abilities, hes part of a great line of games and hes fun to play as. His backstory is simple and yet clever. His character and design compliments Wario very well making them a yin yang duo and their antics are funnier than the Mario Bros's. They have potential to be shine brighter but its squandered by Nintendo.

It's ridiculous that you take more offense the spin offs than the memes that butchered him and its even more ridiculous that i have to explain something some simple in great detail

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
So how much confidence do you guys have for Waluigi to get in as DLC? I do have some hope for him because of the fan reaction to the AT reveal last year plus Nintendo noticing the reaction as well as Reggie commenting on it too. I personally believe that he will be the first character to break the "assist trophy can't be promoted in the same game" fan rule. Plus Sakurai is all about satisfying the fans throughout Ultimate. Of course we don't know if the next set of DLC will be 1st party, 3rd party, or a combination of both. Waluigi has got to be among the top names in speculation despite being an AT.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
So how much confidence do you guys have for Waluigi to get in as DLC? I do have some hope for him because of the fan reaction to the AT reveal last year plus Nintendo noticing the reaction as well as Reggie commenting on it too. I personally believe that he will be the first character to break the "assist trophy can't be promoted in the same game" fan rule. Plus Sakurai is all about satisfying the fans throughout Ultimate. Of course we don't know if the next set of DLC will be 1st party, 3rd party, or a combination of both. Waluigi has got to be among the top names in speculation despite being an AT.
If we do get a first party character as DLC then I'm completely confident it will be Waluigi. Assist trophies be damned, he's practically the biggest Nintendo character that isn't playable yet besides Toad. With how Nintendo is doing DLC I'm not entirely confident on the chances that we'll get a first party character as DLC, but if we do get one I'm betting it's Waluigi.

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
Your post is very hard to follow because of the quotes. The structure is very disorganized. I'm probably done because you're just making up random sentences at this point so I have no idea what you're responding to.

I dont think you know what the word meme entails.

Calling something a meme means that you like it ironically, that its nothing more but a joke.

Genuinely enjoying a fantasy setting and not calling it a meme isnt mutually exclusive and as i highlighted you'd have to be devoid of any joy if any media thats slightly out of the ordinary is a meme.
None of these sentences are even remotely relevant or representative of anything I've said in this discussion whatsoever. When did I ever talk about "enjoying a fantasy setting and [not] calling it a meme." So therefore I will ignore these because they are essentially a random combination of words in terms of our discussion.

I dont get what's so diffucult or confusing about my comment.

I spaced it out just you don't get lost again when reading through it.
Sorry but it seems like to me you're quoting random things, putting your quotes under it, and putting random sentences. It's like you didn't even respond to any point I made at all. I asked many questions that you have also not answered as well.

Were talking about a character whos got creative abilities such as swimming through the air, creates tornados, has amazing leg strenght, create purple thorns, and can teleport.
I actually disagree with the thorns and teleportation.

1. Teleportation in Mario Strikers was not an exclusive ability to Waluigi, Dry Bones could also teleport and probably others I forgot. It was just a movement option for a certain class of characters, not a Waluigi exclusive ability.
2. The thorns are a one-off thing from Strikers where everyone had to have some sort of "special." I'm not saying it's not HIS ability, but I don't think it really is worth reviving. It's not like Waluigi always summons thorns in other games, it was just Charged and they had to put something because everyone else had a special move.

Have you even tried reading what i said? You talk as if havent addressed and debunked your arguments. It's really not that difficult to follow but i'll try explaining it as simply as possible.

Wario was a well written anti hero

His gross trait was very small.

Warioware butchered him into a lazy biker.

His minigames have more toilet humor than themes that made Wario who he is, one of them being one where he farts. Which is just a minigame.

And Brawl valued an app tier spin off, one minigame, and a few cutscenes ( his bike )

Than the games that defined him, put him on the map. The main games is now the cheap spin off and vice versa thanks to Warioware.

This
View attachment 238203

Is now this

View attachment 238204

The internet did the same thing with Waluigi, it ruined the legitimacy of genuine fans appreciation for the character because they were drowned out by these memers who only like him ironically.

Smash could save him from this nonsense by showing the actual, canon abilities that made him popular in the first place and you want to the nail in his coffin by shoehorning some meme that's made up memers.
You actually are not directly responding to any points I made. That's what's frustrating. I agree that the memers are overshadowing true fans. I already said that. But Waluigi is lacking in source material and has FEW abilities that are consistent and recurring enough to be considered "Waluigi abilities".

And stop talking about Wario. I get the point and I already said you're exaggerating. Repeating it will make me say the same thing again: Having Waluigi say WAH is not anti-Waluigi nor does it stretch him into a meme-machine. It is compatible with his character. Do you disagree? I have asked this question already. WAH is not made up by memers, it is EXAGGERATED from Waluigi/Wario. I see NOTHING wrong with this, nor do I see it as improper to make Waluigi say WAH. Again, why is it wrong for Waluigi to say WAH? Just because memers like it? Who cares, it is a canonical phrase and it is also a funny meme: COMPATIBILITY.

First of all were talking about his character.

Second of all he does have a backstory, he trained hard in the shadows so that he can overthrow the Mario bros in terms of popularity.

And lastly there are alot more reasons to like Waluigi, he isnt just "wah" the character as you claim he is.

I for one like Waluigi because of his design, voice, personality, abilities, hes part of a great line of games and hes fun to play as. His backstory is simple and yet clever. His character and design compliments Wario very well making them a yin yang duo and their antics are funnier than the Mario Bros's. They have potential to be shine brighter but its squandered by Nintendo.

It's ridiculous that you take more offense the spin offs than the memes that butchered him and its even more ridiculous that i have to explain something some simple in great detail
Not ONCE did I ever say he is "just wah the character". That is actually a straight up lie or you are not even understanding anything I've said whatsoever. I'm just not against Waluigi saying WAH(he already does it).

I take "offense" at people who want to make Waluigi movesets with sport gimmicks. Waluigi is not a sports-man or the spin-off guy, this is fact. He is merely a character that appears in those games. I'm not offended by memes because 1) they're [not canon] memes 2) they are not turning Waluigi into something that isn't Waluigi. They are an exaggeration, like I already said. Waluigi himself is a walking exaggeration of Luigi, so no I don't see it wrong to exaggerate something he says for comedic effect. Sorry. And no, I don't believe if Nintendo makes him say WAH in a future game it will ruin Waluigi beyond all recognition.

Memes didn't butcher Waluigi. Again, you're exaggerating. Once Nintendo makes Waluigi spam "WAH" and "Too bad, Waluigi time" in games while also going AGAINST his aforementioned canonical traits you mentioned THEN you will have a point. You're acting as if Waluigi dares utter "WAH" or Nintendo somewhat capitalizes on his popularity and puts a memeish move like the WAH attack, he's ruined forever. I already said it a gazillion times, it's COMPATIBLE with who Waluigi is, if it was unlike Waluigi to say WAH or even "Waluigi time" I would agree. But I don't, it's exactly what he does even if the internet exaggerates it for comedic effect. I find that as an extension of his canonical attitude, even if something like "Waluigi time" isn't canon.

D

Deleted member

Your post is very hard to follow because of the quotes. The structure is very disorganized. I'm probably done because you're just making up random sentences at this point so I have no idea what you're responding to.

None of these sentences are even remotely relevant or representative of anything I've said in this discussion whatsoever. When did I ever talk about "enjoying a fantasy setting and [not] calling it a meme." So therefore I will ignore these because they are essentially a random combination of words in terms of our discussion.

Sorry but it seems like to me you're quoting random things, putting your quotes under it, and putting random sentences. It's like you didn't even respond to any point I made at all. I asked many questions that you have also not answered as well.

I actually disagree with the thorns and teleportation.

1. Teleportation in Mario Strikers was not an exclusive ability to Waluigi, Dry Bones could also teleport and probably others I forgot. It was just a movement option for a certain class of characters, not a Waluigi exclusive ability.
2. The thorns are a one-off thing from Strikers where everyone had to have some sort of "special." I'm not saying it's not HIS ability, but I don't think it really is worth reviving. It's not like Waluigi always summons thorns in other games, it was just Charged and they had to put something because everyone else had a special move.

You actually are not directly responding to any points I made. That's what's frustrating. I agree that the memers are overshadowing true fans. I already said that. But Waluigi is lacking in source material and has FEW abilities that are consistent and recurring enough to be considered "Waluigi abilities".

And stop talking about Wario. I get the point and I already said you're exaggerating. Repeating it will make me say the same thing again: Having Waluigi say WAH is not anti-Waluigi nor does it stretch him into a meme-machine. It is compatible with his character. Do you disagree? I have asked this question already. WAH is not made up by memers, it is EXAGGERATED from Waluigi/Wario. I see NOTHING wrong with this, nor do I see it as improper to make Waluigi say WAH. Again, why is it wrong for Waluigi to say WAH? Just because memers like it? Who cares, it is a canonical phrase and it is also a funny meme: COMPATIBILITY.

Not ONCE did I ever say he is "just wah the character". That is actually a straight up lie or you are not even understanding anything I've said whatsoever. I'm just not against Waluigi saying WAH(he already does it).

I take "offense" at people who want to make Waluigi movesets with sport gimmicks. Waluigi is not a sports-man or the spin-off guy, this is fact. He is merely a character that appears in those games. I'm not offended by memes because 1) they're [not canon] memes 2) they are not turning Waluigi into something that isn't Waluigi. They are an exaggeration, like I already said. Waluigi himself is a walking exaggeration of Luigi, so no I don't see it wrong to exaggerate something he says for comedic effect. Sorry. And no, I don't believe if Nintendo makes him say WAH in a future game it will ruin Waluigi beyond all recognition.

Memes didn't butcher Waluigi. Again, you're exaggerating. Once Nintendo makes Waluigi spam "WAH" and "Too bad, Waluigi time" in games while also going AGAINST his aforementioned canonical traits you mentioned THEN you will have a point. You're acting as if Waluigi dares utter "WAH" or Nintendo somewhat capitalizes on his popularity and puts a memeish move like the WAH attack, he's ruined forever. I already said it a gazillion times, it's COMPATIBLE with who Waluigi is, if it was unlike Waluigi to say WAH or even "Waluigi time" I would agree. But I don't, it's exactly what he does even if the internet exaggerates it for comedic effect. I find that as an extension of his canonical attitude, even if something like "Waluigi time" isn't canon.
This is what a huge lack of reading comprehension looks like ladies and gentlemen.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
This is what a huge lack of reading comprehension looks like ladies and gentlemen.
Let's not pick fights with each other my friends. At the end of the day everyone in here has their own interpretation for how Waluigi should fight, and while we might be different in that regard all of us are united by our desire to see a playable Waluigi in Smash.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
See, I've learned my lesson by now and know not to make Smash predictions, but one thing I would bet my life on (not literally - I'm a wimp) is that if Smash goes past Ultimate, we'll see Waluigi join the battle at some point.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
What does RNG stand for?
Random number generator. Thanks to speedrunning more people today know what it means but it's actually a fairly antiquated coding term that goes back as far as coding has existed.

Basically it's a piece of code that tells the computer "pick a random number, if it lands on this number, do this".

D

Deleted member

Moderate Flaming Warning
Ya know i thought i was gonna let this slide but i've decided to address all of this nonsense because i feel petty today.

Let's not pick fights with each other my friends.
First of all how about you point that pitchwork his way, hes the one acts condescending all because of his inability to process basic information. Saying this like this

I'm probably done because you're just making up random sentences at this point so I have no idea what you're responding to.
So therefore I will ignore these because they are essentially a random combination of words in terms of our discussion.
and while we might be different in that regard all of us are united by our desire to see a playable Waluigi in Smash.
Yeah i like Waluigi because of the games hes in, not internet memes.

Second of all GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 and ESPECIALLY Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario what makes the both of yall think you can bandwagon off of Wunderwaft Wunderwaft 's post as if the both of you are so tolerant to different opinions? Yall were losing sleep cause i dont think some app tier series and a pants pooping biker should replace a well crafted platformers starring an macho treasure hunter lmao.

And lastly this guy Gimj Gimj

Feel free to DM me with any singular argument or point you think I did not, or can not refute/comprehend.
No, you wasted my time reading youre moronic drivel. You've proven that you have no critical thinking skills so therefore i will ignore you and never give you the time of my day again.

So does us both a favor and never talk to me again, you'll spare the both of us a headache.
You'll spare me the headache from reading your moronic drivel and you'll spare yourself a headache from processing basic information.

Edit: eww i forgot to rewrite that Wario Land > warioware bit entirely, originally i wanted to praise Wario Land first and i forgot to replace word "i like". ****ing gross

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Ya know i thought i was gonna let this slide but i've decided to address all of this nonsense because i feel petty today.

First of all how about you point that pitchwork his way, hes the one acts condescending all because of his inability to process basic information. Saying this like this

Yeah i like Waluigi because of the games hes in, not internet memes.

Second of all GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 and ESPECIALLY Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario what makes the both of yall think you can bandwagon off of Wunderwaft Wunderwaft 's post as if the both of you are so tolerant to different opinions? Yall were losing sleep cause i dont think some app tier series and a pants pooping biker should replace a well crafted platformers starring an macho treasure hunter lmao.

And lastly this guy Gimj Gimj

No, you wasted my time reading youre moronic drivel. You've proven that you have no critical thinking skills so therefore i will ignore you and never give you the time of my day again.

So does us both a favor and never talk to me again, you'll spare the both of us a headache.
You'll spare me the headache from reading your moronic drivel and you'll spare yourself a headache from processing basic information.

Edit: eww i forgot to rewrite that Wario Land > warioware bit entirely, originally i wanted to praise Wario Land first and i forgot to replace word "i like". ****ing gross
I'm sorry, what did I do?

D

Deleted member

I'm sorry, what did I do?
This

Disregarding your irrational hate for WarioWare
Cause god forbid someone thinking a macho treasure hunter and his platformers shouldnt be replaced by some pants pooping biker lmao. You could've just simply asked were i got my bad sources from without throwing in that comment bub.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
i didnt expect a flame war in here but i guess you get something new every day

i wonder what alts waluigi would have or if they're gonna have references

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
This

Cause god forbid someone thinking a macho treasure hunter and his platformers shouldnt be replaced by some pants pooping biker lmao. You could've just simply asked were i got my bad sources from without throwing in that comment bub.
Lmao imagine being salty over a throwaway comment from two months ago.

D

Deleted member

flaming/harassment
Lmao imagine being salty over a throwaway comment from two months ago.
You like some app tier series and a pants pooping biker. I dont even have to try coming up with something clever cause that alone does the job just fine lmao

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
i didnt expect a flame war in here but i guess you get something new every day

i wonder what alts waluigi would have or if they're gonna have references
I think his Tennis costume is a must, but honestly it'd probably be just a bunch of re-colours. Probably the same colors as Luigi. Potentially a Mario, Luigi, and Wario color thrown in there too.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Many of Ridley's moves are similar to the legacy XP version. I'm not an expert, but I know most of the specials and some of the air attacks are the same. That said, waluigis moveset is really wacky in legacy. Maybe too much for Daddy sakurai
Some of Ridley's moves originated from his Brawl boss fight not Legacy XP.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Wah

Really hope he gets in, if you think Sans getting an outfit was huge....lol

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Yes, but Ridley was a character in legacy xp before ultimate
I think that's what they ultimately based him off
I'm sorry but I'm going to stop you right there. Do you really think Nintendo would look at a random Brawl mod and make a moveset of Ridley based of that mod? That doesn't make sense at all. That's like saying they based some of Mega Man's moves from SSF2's Mega Man.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
How do we think the whole Assist Trophy thing will go? Will they cut the AT? Will they make it so they're never on the screen at the same time? Will they make Waluig's stage entrance an Assist Trophy? Or just shrug it off and not bother with a fix?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
How do we think the whole Assist Trophy thing will go? Will they cut the AT? Will they make it so they're never on the screen at the same time? Will they make Waluig's stage entrance an Assist Trophy? Or just shrug it off and not bother with a fix?
I think they'd probably have the AT not show up when he's playable, or maybe have it show up with a color swap when regular Waluigi's in play - like a cheaper Alfonso.

Top Bottom