• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Also we're at a point in Smash where a big character like that just won't be made into a clone (see Isabelle).
Ehhhhhh, she's still got a lot of Villager's moves regardless.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Well, yeah, Luigi started out as a palette swap in the Mario games too and had to separate himself gradually, whereas Wario and Waluigi had always been differentiated.
If Wario was just a head swap of Mario and Waluigi was a head swap of Luigi, then it would've made more sense for them to be semi clones of Mario and Luigi respectively.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Waluigi has lanky movements to some degree, so I could see Wario's animations being retooled to help create him. He's an exaggeration of Luigi to some degree, just like Wario is an exaggeration of Mario.

That said, Isabelle was literally built off of Villager too. She's a type of clone(just not an Echo, which is not a new name for a clone either. But a different kind of clone that has only one clear requirement; same body build(you could also say same general proportions. With at most a few pixels differences)). She's more comparable to ones like Lucas or Wolf, built off of Ness and Fox respectively. Ones people tend to put under the term "semi clone".

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
do you hear what im hearing

cause i hear waluigi's chances going through the roof rn

TooBadWaluigiTime

Smash Apprentice
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH, THE WAVE OF HAPPINESS, I'M SO GLAD YOU'RE BACK

Seriously, this helps Waluigi's chances tremendously! We now know that there's gonna be more DLC along the way (i'm guessing around 10 more due to those dummy slots in WoL, but that's just me)! Ah, this makes me so happy!

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
My fellow Waluigi fans, remember how Nintendo publicly acknowledged Waluigi, Isaac, and Geno. Remember how insiders were saying that Nintendo also took the HUGE criticism of no Waluigi and Isaac seriously. Also remember how Sakurai has stated that he wants to please as many fans as possibly, and how he wanted to continue adding fan requests. I think our time has finally come. (I will be so happy if Geno, Waluigi, and Isaac finally get in)

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
This was just the news I wanted to hear. I really do think in terms of all assist trophies right now Waluigi has the best chance of getting promoted. Here's to hoping it actually happens!

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Honestly I think Waluigi has a really good shot now.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Also I wanna say that I totally called more DLC coming :secretkpop:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If there's even a single Nintendo character getting added, it's Waluigi. Would break the ****ing internet.

I mean, look at how a simple Mii Costume for Sans was received. It's clear they don't look at alleged meme requests as anything but legitimate. They've heard the demand. Now it's time to deliver!

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
My fellow Waluigi fans, remember how Nintendo publicly acknowledged Waluigi, Isaac, and Geno. Remember how insiders were saying that Nintendo also took the HUGE criticism of no Waluigi and Isaac seriously. Also remember how Sakurai has stated that he wants to please as many fans as possibly, and how he wanted to continue adding fan requests. I think our time has finally come. (I will be so happy if Geno, Waluigi, and Isaac finally get in)
When did this happen? I don't remember them saying anything about Isaac...

I think Reggie mentioned Waluigi at some point.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
This was just the news I wanted to hear. I really do think in terms of all assist trophies right now Waluigi has the best chance of getting promoted. Here's to hoping it actually happens!
It' probsbly going to happen in Smash 6. And King Boo will become an assist trophy.

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
Waluigi has tons of casual fans. His chances skyrocketed!

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
When did this happen? I don't remember them saying anything about Isaac...

I think Reggie mentioned Waluigi at some point.
My mistake, I didn't mean to include Isaac in that part, but Nintendo still was taken back by all the backlash about Isaac not being a character and they are taking it seriously. Isaac, Geno and Waluigi will most likely become playable.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
My hope has been replenished, at least somewhat! If the next batch of DLC is Nintendo-focused I think Waluigi has a strong chance of showing up.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
part of me hopes they will make a season pass where the theme is 5 Assist trophies becoming fighters but a bigger part of me hopes for a simple Nintendo characters only pack. Either way Waluigi is a contender.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I would be more inclined to have Waluigi in if the “fans” wouldn’t of made him such a meme. Like their movesets are so memey.

I don’t think Waluigi would have a “WAH” be one of his specials. That’s just absolutely stupid. I think if you want a clever move set they need to take from aspects of what he represents: sports, luck, and cheating. You could create an actual creative move set with that in mind but everyone goes for the obvious crap like “side special should be a big WAH”.

I don’t know. I somewhat want Waluigi after the confirmation of more DLC but I’m very skeptical of this happening and I’m very middle ground with wanting him due to the memes and fake fans ruining the character for me.

I'm going to go make a hard call right now, because I'm just feeling this right now. I know we're still nowhere near the end, but goddamn it, I actually feel confident in this now. Waluigi will cap everything off. Waluigi will be the very last newcomer revealed for both Smash Ultimate and the entire Super Smash Bros series before it gets rebooted entirely, and he will be given an extremely badass trailer.

Somebody screencap this.
Prediction I made yesterday. I don't have a lot of hard evidence, but this is a strong gut feeling I have.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I would be more inclined to have Waluigi in if the “fans” wouldn’t of made him such a meme. Like their movesets are so memey.

I don’t think Waluigi would have a “WAH” be one of his specials. That’s just absolutely stupid. I think if you want a clever move set they need to take from aspects of what he represents: sports, luck, and cheating. You could create an actual creative move set with that in mind but everyone goes for the obvious crap like “side special should be a big WAH”.

I don’t know. I somewhat want Waluigi after the confirmation of more DLC but I’m very skeptical of this happening and I’m very middle ground with wanting him due to the memes and fake fans ruining the character for me.
I won't deny there are people who want Waluigi because of the memes, and I do agree with you that there's more to the character than just that. I have seen some creative movesets made that shows what Waluigi is capable of. In regards to Waluigi's moveset. I believe that three major things need to be taken note of in order to make a great moveset.

First is the origin of Waluigi, he was made to be Luigi's doppelganger and Wario's partner. So obviously there has to be moves from Waluigi that reflects this aspect of him, perhaps some aerials or Smash attacks would resemble moves from Wario and Luigi. The second aspect is his spin-off role. Waluigi is mainly used in the spin-off games. Hell, he was originally made for Mario Tennis, a spin-off game. Since we have yet to have a character that incorporates the Mario spin-offs in their movesets, Waluigi could very well do that since it fits his origin role, which is him being used in spin-offs. For example, he could use Tennis in one of his specials as a projectile. The third and final aspect is his cheating personality. Waluigi's animations and moveset should resemble a playstyle where he plays dirty and is generally not honest. Perhaps you could give him his stomping move that he uses in his assist trophy to ground opponents or spike them in the air, that's just one example.

If the memes trouble you then that's fine, I get where you're coming from. But let's be honest with ourselves, do we REALLY think Sakurai is gonna put WAH as his side special? Obviously not. And if I were you I wouldn't trouble myself over these things. Instead I'd look at the positives and the potential that the character has.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
isnt that just the brawl mod

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I won't deny there are people who want Waluigi because of the memes, and I do agree with you that there's more to the character than just that. I have seen some creative movesets made that shows what Waluigi is capable of. In regards to Waluigi's moveset. I believe that three major things need to be taken note of in order to make a great moveset.

First is the origin of Waluigi, he was made to be Luigi's doppelganger and Wario's partner. So obviously there has to be moves from Waluigi that reflects this aspect of him, perhaps some aerials or Smash attacks would resemble moves from Wario and Luigi. The second aspect is his spin-off role. Waluigi is mainly used in the spin-off games. Hell, he was originally made for Mario Tennis, a spin-off game. Since we have yet to have a character that incorporates the Mario spin-offs in their movesets, Waluigi could very well do that since it fits his origin role, which is him being used in spin-offs. For example, he could use Tennis in one of his specials as a projectile. The third and final aspect is his cheating personality. Waluigi's animations and moveset should resemble a playstyle where he plays dirty and is generally not honest. Perhaps you could give him his stomping move that he uses in his assist trophy to ground opponents or spike them in the air, that's just one example.

If the memes trouble you then that's fine, I get where you're coming from. But let's be honest with ourselves, do we REALLY think Sakurai is gonna put WAH as his side special? Obviously not. And if I were you I wouldn't trouble myself over these things. Instead I'd look at the positives and the potential that the character has.
I dig this!

D

Deleted member

I would be more inclined to have Waluigi in if the “fans” wouldn’t of made him such a meme.
due to the memes and fake fans ruining the character for me.
chrome_2019_09_04_19_15_44.0.jpg

That aside these small group of memers are just that, a small group of memers. Mario characters have more memes about them than fanart so this isnt exclusive to Waluigi. And in the grand scheme of things that part of the internet isnt a valid measurment of a characters popularity considering the size of Mario's fanbase

Waluigi isnt a meme character, people nowadays take memes too far ( both those who love memes and hate them ).

Back in the day Luigi was a way bigger meme than Waluigi is. He had bigger and more widespread memes like weegee, mama Luigi, the death stare, ytps and the internet loved him for it and was able to seperate the memes from the character. But nowadays youre either a gigantic memer or an edgelord, there's no in between apparently.

And besides hes a Mario character. If a guy wanting to be a popular by participating zany sport events in a world thats just as nonsensical breaks your suspension of disbelief then i dunno what to tell you lmao.

Last edited by a moderator:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I agree with the lot of you!

*edit* I shouldn't let others ruin my wants or fun. What can you do, I suppose.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord

Maybe instead of that WAH scream, Waluigi could have something similar to Goku's Kamehameha, Vegeta's Galick Gun, Piccolo's Special Beam Cannon, Frieza's Death Beam, and Tien Shinhan's Tri-beam for his neutral special. He could fire a purple beam of energy from his mouth and screams N'WAH.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Maybe instead of that WAH scream, Waluigi could have something similar to Goku's Kamehameha, Vegeta's Galick Gun, Piccolo's Special Beam Cannon, Frieza's Death Beam, and Tien Shinhan's Tri-beam for his neutral special. He could fire a purple beam of energy from his mouth and screams N'WAH.
That's many times worse. They're suggesting to get away from memes, not drown in them.

D

Deleted member

I agree with the lot of you!

*edit* I shouldn't let others ruin my wants or fun. What can you do, I suppose.
Think of them like pigs, they dont exclusively eat good meals because it tastes good, they eat just about anything, filth and all lmao.

How old are you?

Last edited by a moderator:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I'm going to throw all my cards in and say Waluigi will be DLC but be the only Assist Trophy upgrade. Probably, if Waluigi is in play, the assist trophy won't play like how the moon assist trophy doesn't appear on certain levels.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'm going to throw all my cards in and say Waluigi will be DLC but be the only Assist Trophy upgrade. Probably, if Waluigi is in play, the assist trophy won't play like how the moon assist trophy doesn't appear on certain levels.
Honestly that's my prediction as well. As much as I like the other Assist Trophies I have a feeling that Waluigi will be the only one to actually break free from the snow globe. At least that would be another rule broken, which is assist trophies can't be promoted to playable characters in the same game.

D

Deleted member

if Waluigi is in play, the assist trophy won't play like how the moon assist trophy doesn't appear on certain levels.
That really wouldnt be necessary.

This a series where you can 8 of the same characters fight eachother and have Bowser and Ganondorf square up against their boss counterparts.

Having a character be a fighter and an assist trophy wouldnt break anyones suspension of disbelief lmao.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That really wouldnt be necessary.

This a series where you can 8 of the same characters fight eachother and have Bowser and Ganondorf square up against their boss counterparts.

Having a character be a fighter and an assist trophy wouldnt break anyones suspension of disbelief lmao.
Assist Trophies can already be limited based on certain stage conditions (i.e. Moon on Great Bay, Alucard in Wii Fit), so it's not silly for the Waluigi assist trophy to be taken out when playing Waluigi.

Though for something such as Robin's Final Smash and victory screens with Chrom, that's a bit too big to control.

EDIT: Also, on the note of Chrom still in Robin's moveset. At least when Robin's Chrom kills another playable Chrom, it's clear what's happening and who is from what. If a Waluigi assist trophy is running around while a Waluigi player is also running about, that can actually cause some confusion that can detriment anyone, even the Waluigi player in question. It's less about the suspension of disbelief, it's more about not throwing yourself off the level because you thought you were the assist trophy Waluigi and not the actual Waluigi.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

EDIT: Also, on the note of Chrom still in Robin's moveset. At least when Robin's Chrom kills another playable Chrom, it's clear what's happening and who is from what. If a Waluigi assist trophy is running around while a Waluigi player is also running about, that can actually cause some confusion that can detriment anyone, even the Waluigi player in question. It's less about the suspension of disbelief, it's more about not throwing yourself off the level because you thought you were the assist trophy Waluigi and not the actual Waluigi.
Buddy if you cant tell the difference between a fully flegded character and an assist trophy that moves left and right with a tennis racket then what makes you think your able to play any matches that involves more characters and items?

There are plenty of characters that have non existant differences between their alts. Good luck playing an 8 player battle of the same character and not losing track of your Pikachu, Jigglypuff, or Pichu lmao.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I'm not sure this would be a good idea, but I thought that Wario could be cloned into a pseudo-clone of Mario (in smash 6) by giving him Mario's neutral special and up special, the rest of his moveset would be remade from scratch. The same thing could go for Waluigi when he gets promoted to playable in smash 6. Waluigi could also have Luigi's neutral and up special, and the rest of his moveset would be unique.

Since Sans is a mii costume, I predict that papyrus will replace waluigi's assist trophy since they have similar proportions, when waluigi is in battle.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm not sure this would be a good idea, but I thought that Wario could be cloned into a pseudo-clone of Mario (in smash 6) by giving him Mario's neutral special and up special, the rest of his moveset would be remade from scratch. The same thing could go for Waluigi when he gets promoted to playable in smash 6. Waluigi could also have Luigi's neutral and up special, and the rest of his moveset would be unique.

Since Sans is a mii costume, I predict that papyrus will replace waluigi's assist trophy since they have similar proportions, when waluigi is in battle.
I think that's a terrible idea. Why make Wario a clone when he has a great original one? Same with Waluigi, nobody wants him not expects him to use moves that he doesn't use in actual games. I don't think either of them can use Fire Flowers in any game.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Well, Wario actually used a Fire Flower in the final boss fight of Super Mario Land 2.

I completely agree with you, I just wanted to point that out.
Waluigi could still use fire flowers to, but I think Wario and Waluigi are best with their respective unique movesets. Also Daisy using Peach's moves were based on what-if scenarios.

I think that's a terrible idea. Why make Wario a clone when he has a great original one? Same with Waluigi, nobody wants him not expects him to use moves that he doesn't use in actual games. I don't think either of them can use Fire Flowers in any game.
Actually, Pseudo-clones are different from clones and semi-clones, clones and semi clones borrow most or some moves from the fighter they were cloned from. Pseudo-clones on the other hand, share only very few moves (such as lucas and ness). Wario and Waluigi would only share two moves (neutral and up special) with Mario and Luigi respectively, the rest of their movesets would be unique, so it's not that bad.

That's many times worse. They're suggesting to get away from memes, not drown in them.
Actually the Kamehameha-like move I thought of wasn't based on the memes, it was actually based on Arale's N'cha cannon from Dragon Ball.

Last edited:
Top Bottom