• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Probably but it such a shame that waluigi VS cloud will probably never happen

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I'm not too worried about Cloud anymore. Hero proves that Square-Enix can be persuaded to play nice with Sakurai. If they're interested in keeping Hero in future Smash games (and I'm pretty sure they are, given Dragon Quest's status in Japan), then they should have no problem letting Cloud stay as well.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'm not too worried about Cloud anymore. Hero proves that Square-Enix can be persuaded to play nice with Sakurai. If they're interested in keeping Hero in future Smash games (and I'm pretty sure they are, given Dragon Quest's status in Japan), then they should have no problem letting Cloud stay as well.
I never really thought much of all the doom saying that Cloud is getting cut in the next game. We've gotten a second rep from Square Enix, which is something that a lot of people doubted because of the lack of content from Square Enix. Square Enix is expensive to deal with, which is why Nintendo decided getting Cloud as a fighter is enough and didn't bother with spirits for other Final Fantasy characters. Square Enix would have probably demanded a hefty sum of money for those spirits. It's no secret that Cloud is one of the most popular characters that people play in the game, so I believe Nintendo will pay whatever money Square Enix demands to get Cloud in their next Smash game.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Honestly, I would prefer Waluigi's moveset from Marioking 64DS's Brawl mod.
It's a solid moveset, but I think there should be some polishing and slight changes done to it for it to be a truly great moveset that captures Waluigi's spirit.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
On the topic of stages, Waluigi Pinball would be the obvious choice. It got a remix in Brawl, and if it were to be a stage I'd imagine it would have another new remix as well.

Also I'm definitely not expecting Waluigi to make the Fighters Pass. I mean, if they really wanted to throw people off and upgrade him to a character I could definitely see that, but that's the kind of thing where the precedent needs to be set first before I can consider it anything more than a pipe dream. I think he's fair game for whatever Smash 6 is though since he'll continue to remain popular and make consistent appearances.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I support not just Waluigi, but an entire Fighter's Pass dedicated to promoting Assist Trophies to playable characters.
Waluigi, Spring Man, Shovel Knight, Issac, and Krystal.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Instead of spring man I would say shadow or skull kid to make a new rep for their series because they're clearly missing other rep

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Instead of spring man I would say shadow or skull kid to make a new rep for their series because they're clearly missing other rep
I support Shadow separately in an Echo Pass.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Oh I see but still I think skull kid should be upgraded before spring man who just arrives

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
The next Zelda character should be Impa. She is the most important to the entire serious out of characters not already in Smash.
This is the full list I am referring to when I mention my ideal DLC lineup.
Screenshot_20190626-011805.png

Last edited:

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I would put Dante instead of MH but i agree with the rest of your ideas that would be awesome.I'm not a impa fan but i'm just glad if we have some zelda rep

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I would put Dante instead of MH but i agree with the rest of your ideas that would be awesome.I'm not a impa fan but i'm just glad if we have some zelda rep
I too would prefer Dante, but I feel like Monster Hunter is simply more likely.

Honestly, I'm surprised that my 1/2 wishlist 1/2 prediction has been this well received, with only minor nitpicks such as Bandana Waddle Dee over Dixie, Skull Kid over Spring Man, and Dante over Monster Hunter.
Not yet have I seen the criticism I most expected, the fact that this list includes four Mario characters (Paper Mario, Toad, Waluigi, and Geno). Perhaps everyone just agrees each of those is individually overdue.

Last edited:

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I think the opposite frankly, if we had a MH rep it would be like the first dlc because revealing him now wouldn't surprise nor appeal to most people.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
The next Zelda character should be Impa. She is the most important to the entire serious out of characters not already in Smash.
Nah dog, the most important Zelda character who's not already playable in Smash is Ganon. He's actually my most wanted first-party newcomer after Dixie Kong. Having Ganondorf (who's only ever been in three mainline games, most recently in 2006!) but not Ganon feels a bit like having Sheik but not Zelda.

I'm actually not that into Impa. I only liked her in Skyward Sword, and if she gets in, that's the design I'd want her to have. But if I had my pick of any non-Triforce-wielder Zelda rep, honestly, I think I'd choose Tingle. He's the star of his own little series, after all, and he's a lot of fun in Hyrule Warriors.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
haven't checked in for a while

anyone i need to add to the support list?

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
So there was a datamine for Dr. Mario World and Dr. Waluigi was found.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
And I thought letting Bowser treat you was a bad idea. I don't think the babies have finished medical school yet and I find it had to believe Wario, Diddy and DK are super hygenic...

Last edited:

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Is it a real thing or just a fanmade? Because i would be down for some waluigi love even though it's in another spin off game.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
If there's an Assist Trophy upgrade, it's gonna be Waluigi. It just is. And I wouldn't have it any other way.
I want him in to break the fan rule of “character has an AT so they can’t be upgraded to fighter”. Because he’s likely the one to do that out of all the AT’s because he’s so well known in and outside of the Smash community.
Not that I'm against Waluigi the character in person, but if we really open the chance to all assists (adding bosses and pokeballs) there are possibly more better choices of potential fighters who own the status as a protagonist of unused franchises or a new major villain. Waluigi's popularity is undeniable the top tier among all assist/bosses/background characters for now, just that doesn't mean he doesn't need to compete with others in the same place,

I think the breaking AT rule theory is not a thing. The problem should be like why Nintendo include potential fighters into the assist roster if they already knew that, since all fighters have been decided before game in execution. It is like Kirby, Samus and Mario could had also been assist in Smash 5 to prove that point too. It would rather prove their silliness if they forgot that Waluigi should not be put in the assist list.

Not to mention we still have other Mario secondary characters that have good potential as assist characters too. If that suggestion happens, it would be a point for fans to criticize in the end, cause they could had brought KingBoo, EGadd or Nabbit in. Tbh it's kinda weird to not introduce a new Mario assist at this point.

Let's talk moveset! So I'd imagine his inclusion is gunna revolve around Mario Party and the sports titles. I would love to see some Mario Kart inclusion in some fashion..
The problem, in the general view of Smash bros is that, Nintnedo could prefere a protagonist from a sport or party game series cause s/he can legally use the whole theme as the move references. Like a post I made some time ago: https://smashboards.com/threads/is-game-genre-a-factor-of-smash-bros.485115/, there are some potential franchises where characters have all party/sport themed moves. Plus, even within Mario universe, we happen to have the professional athletes who're legal oweners of whole sport moves. For racing we've got FZero on hand for example, while Mario Kart has been a stage.

On the other hand, other current Mario fighters for now are still using their basic action fight moves as their main and sport/party references as side moves. I think Waluigi would have to be the same if he shares some degree of similiarity in line with other Mario fighters. After all Waluigi specializes sport moves just as much as Mario&co, it's weird to say he is the best or he legally owns them. In fact, we also have a team of professional athletes in Mario universe who are the actually legal owners of sport techniques.

My concern about suggesting Waluigi using sport moves is that, it sounds like we eagerly want Waluigi to be a fighter despite what he can do is not as much as other companions for now. Not that Waluigi learned some significant moves in big games so that we want him to bring those moves to Smash bros to make this game more interesting.

On the topic of stages, Waluigi Pinball would be the obvious choice. It got a remix in Brawl, and if it were to be a stage.
I'm not sure if it is a thing. Under the suggestion iwth Waluigi as a possible includsion as fighter in the future, I don't think the character's personal themed stage is gonna be tied with him/her, since that didn't happen with other non-leading fighers we had before. I assume we'd still see some iconic Mario places as stages in Smash 6 no matter if Waluigi is gonna be playable.

Last edited:

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
Is it a real thing or just a fanmade? Because i would be down for some waluigi love even though it's in another spin off game.
That is real. Like I said, it was found in a datamine of the game.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Not that I'm against Waluigi the character in person, but if we really open the chance to all assists (adding bosses and pokeballs) there are possibly more better choices of potential fighters who own the status as a protagonist of unused franchises or a new major villain. Waluigi's popularity is undeniable the top tier among all assist/bosses/background characters for now, just that doesn't mean he doesn't need to compete with others in the same place,

I think the breaking AT rule theory is not a thing. The problem should be like why Nintendo include potential fighters into the assist roster if they already knew that, since all fighters have been decided before game in execution. It is like Kirby, Samus and Mario could had also been assist in Smash 5 to prove that point too. It would rather prove their silliness if they forgot that Waluigi should not be put in the assist list.

Not to mention we still have other Mario secondary characters that have good potential as assist characters too. If that suggestion happens, it would be a point for fans to criticize in the end, cause they could had brought KingBoo, EGadd or Nabbit in. Tbh it's kinda weird to not introduce a new Mario assist at this point.

The problem, in the general view of Smash bros is that, Nintnedo could prefere a protagonist from a sport or party game series cause s/he can legally use the whole theme as the move references. Like a post I made some time ago: https://smashboards.com/threads/is-game-genre-a-factor-of-smash-bros.485115/, there are some potential franchises where characters have all party/sport themed moves.

On the other hand, other current Mario fighters for now are still using their basic action fight moves as their main and sport/party references as side moves. I think Waluigi would have to be the same if he shares some degree of similiarity in line with other Mario fighters.

My concern about suggesting Waluigi using sport moves is that, it sounds like we eagerly want Waluigi to be a fighter despite what he can do is not as much as other companions for now. Not that Waluigi learned some significant moves in big games so that we want him to bring those moves to Smash bros to make this game more interesting.
I really don't find the whole "waluigi need a main game to have a moveset" really convincing.Look at mario and luigi they have their tornado attack while not being in any game.The majority of peach's moveset was made up just like bowser's.Ganondorf was a clone of captain falcon for no reason. They made up a moveset for ROB some moves about the majority of the cast seems totally made up so i don't see why waluigi couldn't have some move made up too.

As for why he should be the first "breaking assist trophies fan rule" is simply because he's the most popular among these but if we have an entire pass with assist trophies they should include:
Waluigi
Isaac
Ashley
Krystal
Midna/Skull kid
Since they are the more popular among these it would make sense.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I really don't find the whole "waluigi need a main game to have a moveset" really convincing.Look at mario and luigi they have their tornado attack while not being in any game.The majority of peach's moveset was made up just like bowser's.Ganondorf was a clone of captain falcon for no reason. They made up a moveset for ROB some moves about the majority of the cast seems totally made up so i don't see why waluigi couldn't have some move made up too.

As for why he should be the first "breaking assist trophies fan rule" is simply because he's the most popular among these but if we have an entire pass with assist trophies they should include:
Waluigi
Isaac
Ashley
Krystal
Midna/Skull kid
Since they are the more popular among these it would make sense.
The main contradiction is by creating original moves for any character, that just says any character can be chosen over Waluigi. It doesn't prove that Waluigi is the only choice that NIntendo can reach out for.

And as I said, Waluigi isn't the leading protagonist to bring a new franchise into Smash bros, nor is he a major villain or heroine that is equivant to the current fighters or other current potential candidates in the list you names. Even when it comes to adding secondary charactrs, Mario series has done that but Zelda and Kirby haven't done that so far. In an objective view he is not a prior choice if NIntendo only wants to promote more franchises and games.

And I hate to say it, but if popularity works out well for characters to earn promotions, then Nintendo would had put Waluigi in some other big games.

Well, Waluigi "does" need a main game, as a fan I honestly think so. I don't see why it would be a bad thing if he can get one before he can enter Smash bros with more cool moves.

Last edited:

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
The main contradiction is by creating original moves for any character, that just says any character can be chosen over Waluigi. It doesn't prove that Waluigi is the only choice that NIntendo can reach out for.

And as I said, Waluigi isn't the leading protagonist to bring a new franchise into Smash bros, nor is he a major villain or heroine that is equivant to the current fighters or other current potential candidates in the list you names. Even when it comes to adding secondary charactrs, Mario series has done that but Zelda and Kirby haven't done that so far. In an objective view he is not a prior choice if NIntendo only wants to promote more franchises and games.

And I hate to say it, but if popularity works out well for characters to earn promotions, then Nintendo would had put Waluigi in some other big games.

Well, Waluigi "does" need a main game, as a fan I honestly think so. I don't see why it would be a bad thing if he can get one before he can enter Smash bros with more cool moves.
I didn't say that would be bad but what i say is the lack of main game for waluigi doesn't mean he can't have a decent moveset from the spin offs games . And since he's pretty popular if nintendo really listen to the fans it would mean waluigi will arrive, maybe not in this game but in the next one.

On another point i do this for the glory of waluigi :

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I don't think anybody's proposing that Waluigi get a moveset made out of whole cloth, rather that Sakurai get creative with his use of elements from spin-offs and his personality.

And popularity works in Smash, while it might not do so in other games. Hence why K. Rool is back in Smash but not in DKC.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I didn't say that would be bad but what i say is the lack of main game for waluigi doesn't mean he can't have a decent moveset from the spin offs games . And since he's pretty popular if nintendo really listen to the fans it would mean waluigi will arrive, maybe not in this game but in the next one.
I think when we use the term "spin-off", it hints on that the the games are not the mainstream references for Mario games and characters. But as said there are other franchises known to be the master of party or sport games. I assume those characters make a more competent role when we need a figher with only sport and party moves.

Not to mention we also have the real expert of sports in Mario universe too, even if we won't nominate them as Mario reps since they're not recurring main characters of this seires.

Waluigi wasn't created to be tailored to only be for spin-offs, just we don't know what his moves could be when he is outside spinoffs. Saying that Waluigi only needs spinoffs references to be his whole movest is not supposed to what a competent Mario character could be.

Again, like said, if creating original moves, the chance can be almost for all NIntendo characters, it is not an exclusive chance for Waluigi in the end. The contradiction is it is supposed to be those characters who already obtained great spotlights and showed their moves in video games. Not that Nintendo skip those obvious options to go for others who didn't have sufficient spotlights and references in games.

And popularity works in Smash, while it might not do so in other games. Hence why K. Rool is back in Smash but not in DKC.
Of course KRool should return in more video games like in Olympics, Mario Party or Tropical Freeze. Definitely not that he only needs to appear in Smash bros and that's enough, so that wouldn't work for such kind of defense or excuse.

Last edited:

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
The thing is when we talk about spin off we're talking about all Waluigi appearance that could give idea for moveset for instance his whip from Mario strikers charged football or his moves from Mario tennis. And while it's true that is not true for Waluigi only he is the last remaining "big" Mario character who can do it since everybody else is already in the game.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
The thing is when we talk about spin off we're talking about all Waluigi appearance that could give idea for moveset for instance his whip from Mario strikers charged football or his moves from Mario tennis. And while it's true that is not true for Waluigi only he is the last remaining "big" Mario character who can do it since everybody else is already in the game.
The contradiction I mention above is, many members here want to push Waluigi here in the first place before thinking about what moves can he use, contrary to most other fighters who are added because they are known for their signature moves.

And like said, if we use the move references as the main point of view, there are other professionals or protagonists who majorly specialize sports.

> he is the last remaining "big" Mario character

I would say, Waluigi is the last missing character in Super Mario games, which is an even more serious issue than him not as fighter in Smash bros.
And technically not all Mario main characters and not all main characters from other Nintendo franchises are fighters in Smash bros.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I would say, Waluigi is the last missing character in Super Mario games, which is an even more serious issue than him not as fighter in Smash bros.
And technically not all Mario main characters and not all main characters from other Nintendo franchises are fighters in Smash bros.
Waluigi is a spinoff character exclusive and they plan to keep it that way. Even Dr. Mario World as his most recent appearance proves that point as they're letting anyone get a doctorate these days. Though I don't see that as a bad thing. As no character capitalizes on the Mario spinoffs, which Smash Bros even has to give its own category for music, it's an easy goldmine for someone like Waluigi (or Daisy if she wasn't an Echo) to utilize.

I could easily think of a Waluigi moveset based off of these things, there are so many games to use and pull from. Sports, Kart, Party, Dance Dance Revolution, you name it. He has no signature move, but he has a signature character if that makes sense.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
The moveset potential is pretty big with all his quirky animation in spin of game and all his abilities (the thorn whip that I mention earlier for example)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
People come for the crotch chop taunt, but they stay for the Waluigi. He's just a charming character, and that's what draws people in more than anything.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Waluigi is a spinoff character exclusive and they plan to keep it that way. Even Dr. Mario World as his most recent appearance proves that point as they're letting anyone get a doctorate these days. Though I don't see that as a bad thing. As no character capitalizes on the Mario spinoffs, which Smash Bros even has to give its own category for music, it's an easy goldmine for someone like Waluigi (or Daisy if she wasn't an Echo) to utilize.
I could easily think of a Waluigi moveset based off of these things, there are so many games to use and pull from. Sports, Kart, Party, Dance Dance Revolution, you name it. He has no signature move, but he has a signature character if that makes sense.
I see your point. I understand that fans love Waluigi and wouldn't mind if he got into mianstream games or not, that's not a bad thing tbh. I think it is possible to make a moveset mixed up with all Mario series references.

Just in a general view, the "being in fewer games than the others" would be a very critical reason for Waluigi to not able to get the Mario rep title. While that would also make Waluigi's diversity of references smaller than the others. Personally as a fan, I expect him to get as much as other characters have.

I honestly wouldn't really mind if Nintendo chose Waluigi over Rosalina and BowserJr back in Smash 4 because he is the older veteran after all. Unfortunately NIntendo decideds to go with the way they tend to.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I see your point. I understand that fans love Waluigi and wouldn't mind if he got into mianstream games, that's not a bad thing tbh. I think it is possible to make a moveset mixed up with all Mario series references.

Just in a general view, the "being in fewer games than the others" would be a very critical reason for Waluigi to not able to get the Mario rep title. And that would make Waluigi's diversity of references smaller than the others.

I honestly wouldn't really mind if Nintendo chose Waluigi over Rosalina and Koopalings back in Smash 4 because he is the older veteran after all. Unfortunately NIntendo decideds to go with the way they tend to.
That's not it at all, honestly. I totally understand why they don't give him his own game. Waluigi is a jack of all trades, master of none. He has no defining trait or feature that really stands out among everyone else except for his design and character. What he does already, someone else does too and probably better. I can't really think of a genre that Waluigi would succeed in because it's being done by someone else.

He is basically the spinoff character. That's what he does best.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think when we use the term "spin-off", it hints on that the the games are not the mainstream references for Mario games and characters. But as said there are other franchises known to be the master of party or sport games. I assume those characters make a more competent role when we need a figher with only sport and party moves.
What are those franchises?
Waluigi wasn't created to be tailored to only be for spin-offs
Well this is factually incorrect.
Of course KRool should return in more video games like in Olympics, Mario Party or Tropical Freeze. Definitely not that he only needs to appear in Smash bros and that's enough, so that wouldn't work for such kind of defense or excuse.
That wasn't the point. The point is you say Waluigi's popularity won't get him in Smash because it hasn't got him into main Mario games, but there's many examples of characters getting into Smash because of popularity.

Also, and I mean no offense, but is English not your first language? Because it's very hard to understand what you're saying.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Like seriously, what genre would Waluigi fit that someone else doesn't already do or had done?

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Also, and I mean no offense, but is English not your first language? Because it's very hard to understand what you're saying.
That wasn't the point. The point is you say Waluigi's popularity won't get him in Smash because it hasn't got him into main Mario games, but there's many examples of characters getting into Smash because of popularity.
Yes it is not mine, and sorry if it creates diffuclty for your reading.

However I can hardly find a regular fighter that is inserted purely because of popularity but not their significance from respective series.

That's not it at all, honestly. I totally understand why they don't give him his own game. Waluigi is a jack of all trades, master of none. He has no defining trait or feature that really stands out among everyone else except for his design and character. What he does already, someone else does too and probably better. I can't really think of a genre that Waluigi would succeed in because it's being done by someone else.

He is basically the spinoff character. That's what he does best.

Like seriously, what genre would Waluigi fit that someone else doesn't already do or had done?
I believe he can find a recurring role in existed mainstream games even if he doesn't own games. He could be a pickpocket or midboss in Odyssey or a role like Nabbit in New Super Mario bros. Even better if he can be playable along with Mario bros.

If you ask me I'd really like to see Waluigi having a dancing game, just after Mario DDR Nintendo never had more plans for Waluigi.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
However I can hardly find a regular fighter that is inserted purely because of popularity but not their significance from respective series.
Waluigi is very significant to his series though. He's an incredibly iconic character who's Wario's partner and is a mainstay in spinoffs. Just because he isn't in many main series games doesn't mean he isn't significant.
I believe he can find a recurring role in existed mainstream games even if he doesn't own games. He could be a pickpocket or midboss in Odyssey or a role like Nabbit in New Super Mario bros.
If you ask me I'd really like to see Waluigi having a dancing game, just after Mario DDR Nintendo never had more plans for Waluigi.
I'd totally love to see something like this though. (I think Nabbit's design is really stupid so Waluigi taking his role is win-win to me).

Top Bottom