• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Let's talk moveset! So I'd imagine his inclusion is gunna revolve around Mario Party and the sports titles. I would love to see some Mario Kart inclusion in some fashion.

Side B- Rides a Kart similar to Wario's Bike
Up B- Dice Punch Block to get an extra boost, maybe the roll can determine height or damage?
Neutral B- Golf Put, placed a golf ball and either a timing minigame or how long you hold determines strength and trajectory
Down B- Super Striker Kick. Any opponents that get in your way receive a kick to the teeth, sending them flying in the shape of a ball.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking about it and i would say :
Side B- Dash with thorns like strikers
Up B-The Crawl from old mario tennis
Neutral B-Thorns whip like strikers again
Down B- His assist trophy move where he kick you down and bury you

Last edited:

TooBadWaluigiTime

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I think Waluigi's moveset should revolve around his personality rather than just sports equipment, other than the tennis racket because it's Waluigi, he debuted in Mario Tennis. Maybe a special that revolves around cheating?

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Now that you mention it it would be better that way like down b he take a bob omb or has a kind of counter when he says TOO BAD WALUIGI TIME or CHEATER. But the thorn wip should stay imo it's one of his only weapon where we can say that's waluigi's

BZocky

Smash Ace
His final Smash should be vandalizing the artwork of his opponents on the fighter banner before putting on the finishing touch, causing them to fly off.
"Take that, Mr. Eyeballs!"

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
I feel like bob-ombs should be one of his moves, but not like the already-in-the-game bob-omb. I was thinking hitting them like a tennis ball would be really cool.

And also, might just be personal preference but I want to avoid similarity to the assist trophy at all costs. I just don't want the character to be associated with his failure as an assist trophy, ya know?

Last edited:

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
That would make his moveset easier tho
I mean, I don't want an easy moveset. He's been represented for what? 20 years? He has enough material to give him a completely unique moveset. Honestly I think he deserves a unique moveset. He's a unique character, and the pummel didn't really even seem Waluigi-esque. It's like they wanted a SOMEONE to have that ground pummel, and they were just like "eh, Waluigi will work"

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I've though about it and this is my take on Waluigi's moveset. I didn't want it to be too gimmicky and reliant on sports and spin-offs. The only sport equipment I thought were necessary is the tennis racket, because tennis is Waluigi's origin. I feel like this moveset fit his personality and charm. The dancing is incorporated into it, and I made sure to reference Waluigi's relationship with Wario by pulling off some moves from Wario into Waluigi with some differences. It's not the most unique or wackiest moveset there could be, but I made one that I believe fits Waluigi well.

Jab: Waluigi does a simple three hit combo that finishes with a kick.
Side tilt: Waluigi swings his tennis racket
Down tilt: A quick kick that can potentially trip
Up tilt: An uppercut that sends the opponent upwards
Dash attack: Waluigi falls flat on his face while running

Neutral aerial: Waluigi swings his body like Wario does in his neutral aerial, the difference is that it has more range thanks to Waluigi's big body
Front aerial: An overhead swing with the tennis racket that can spike if it's hit at the right time
Down aerial: Waluigi spins himself and falls straight down, it works exactly like Greninja's down aerial
Back aerial: Waluigi does a kick backwards while spinning
Up aerial: This move is a swing above Waluigi's head using the tennis racket

Side Smash: Waluigi does an overhead swing with his tennis racket
Down Smash: Waluigi pulls off a break dance move that covers the two sides
Up Smash: Waluigi pulls his head down and then headbutt upwards, it has good vertical range and it can cover a platform. I thought it would be a funny way to reference Waluigi's big height compared to the other Bros by making him reach the platform.

Up special: A corkscrew that's similair to Wario's except it deals less damage but travels more distance.
Side special: Waluigi does his air swimming thing, this move has an active hitbox and it has diagonal directions.
Neutral special: Waluigi throws a tennis ball for a volley, if the player presses the button again at the right time then Waluigi hits the ball and it travels a good distance as a projectile. If he fails the button press then it just falls and does nothing. The interesting part about this move is that it's like Peach's turnip in the sense that Waluigi can pull out different items that he can use as a projectile such as sports items and what not, with the Bob-omb being the rarest but deadliest projectile.
Down special: Waluigi stomps the ground like how his assist trophy does. It's a bit like DK's down special except it can bury the opponent, also it can spike the opponent in the air.

Grab: A simple grab with his hand
Pummel: Waluigi kicks the opponent while grabbing them
Front throw: Waluigi uses the opponent as a tennis ball and hits them with the racket as he's going for a volley
Back throw: Just like the rest of the bros, Waluigi does a swinging throw
Down throw: Waluigi throws the opponent into the ground and starts stomping on them
Up throw: Waluigi kicks the opponent up on the air

Something I want to point out is that Waluigi's sidestep would be his moonwalking because it's funny and fits the dodge well.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Nice moveset I must said but I would add the whip from Mario strikers since it his only weapon and the thorns are kind of one of his gimmick.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
This reminds me of when people wanted Daisy to have a sports-inspired moveset, which I always thought was kind of a bad idea. If Daisy ever gets de-echoed, I hope her moveset draws from Super Mario Land, with Super Balls and the Sky Pop and things like that. Maybe her Final Smash could incorporate Tatanga.

As for Waluigi, it's a damn shame that Psycho Waluigi isn't canon, because as it stands, all we have to work with are some goofy animations and disposable spin-off stuff. I do love the idea of his dodge being the moonwalk, though.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Sadly we have not much for waluigi but since Sakurai create moveset for WFT or captain falcon he can make it work

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Personally as Waluigi is known as a cheater, I'd want him to have a few 'glitch' like abilities...almost as if he's not meant to be in the roster but cheated his way in.

As much as he should probably have something to do with Tennis since it's his origin, I hope they keep it to only one move or preferably a taunt.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I rather have the assist trophy trailer, where waluigi come out of an assist trophy and, like, break the seal or I don't know what but that's make him a playable character or you see him making a waluigi slot on the roster menu. Glitchy moves are boring

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
A glitch idea sounds really fun. Kinda like a fourth wall breaker. Like maybe his Final Smash can be Waluigi coming towards the screen and plucking a stock off anyone caught in the attack. I think there's a lot of cool ideas there.

Last edited:

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Waluigi is not Deadpool like he cannot break the 4th wall he is a cheater yes, not 4th wall breaker. His final smash can be a Bob omb shooter like the one from Mario power tennis opening. It would be kind of like snake's old final smash. And it would go faster and faster as waluigi begin to rage.

andree123

Smash Ace
I wondered if the Link's awakening Amiibo can both give a spirit and a amiibo fighter to you like the mario wedding amiibos, if this was true, I personally think that a smash bros waluigi amiibo and the fighters pass 2 draft exists.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I think a fighter pass 2 is very likely and I would hope for waluigi to happen but I have a lot of doubts about it. And waluigi doesn't necessarily need an amiibo since he already got one with Mario party

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Popping in to say Waluigi has my full support. He may not get his time to shine today, but I'm sure he'll eventually get into Smash. I mean, it's not as if Ultimate was his last chance. He'll continue to remain popular and will continue to make consistent appearances until the next game.

As for moveset, I'll be honest I've never been that much of a fan of utilizing just sports equipment, maybe except the tennis racket since Mario Tennis was his debut. Rather, I feel his moveset should draw from his special, weird abilities he has in the sports games. There's plenty of source material to pull from too: Whiskered Eggplant from Mario Superstar Baseball, midair swimming and Whirluigi from Mario Power Tennis, Moonwalking from Mario Tennis Aces, the weird mechanical arms he has in Mario Sports Mix, thorny vines from Mario Strikers Charged... there's so much to pull from, and offer tons of ways to differentiate from other fighters and make him a truly unique character. And it's not like Smash can't make deep pulls either, considering Piranha Plant's Poison Breath is taken from the Paper Mario series' Putrid Piranhas.

Furthermore, I feel a lot of his attacks and animations should be based on his personality. Look at King K. Rool as an example: he walks with pride and swagger, and flips a switch and runs on all fours like a deranged animal. He's constantly changing his fighting style, going from using Blunderbuss and Crownerang to using down throws and buries, to outsmart his opponent. He rejects any attacks thrown at his belly armor, and counterattacks with a big boxing glove smack. It's like he punishes any opponent for invading his personal, royal space. Who's to say that can't rub off on Waluigi? In addition to these weird abilities, he tries his best to cheat his way to victory. He could run around deceptively fast, and stop on a dime, opposite of Luigi's slippery traction. He could use his long limbs to outrange his sword-abusing opponents. He moonwalks past opponents to dodge their attacks, only to counter them with his own. His taunts and victory animations are degrading, as he aims to make the opponent miserable after he just KO'ed them. He could even have a funny crouch animation like some of the other characters. On the other side of the coin, he could call opponents cheaters when he ends up getting KO'ed. He could throw his hat on the ground and stomp on it for his "clapping" animation, refusing to cheer for the opponent when he should have won.

Waluigi would have zero respect for his opponents, and I think traits like that are what makes a character really fun. Again, look at newcomers like King K. Rool and Incineroar, they're brimming with so much personality throughout their moves and animations, and Waluigi's personality could be utilized greatly in this respect.

Last edited:

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I agree with mama Luigi a moveset based on every spin off seems the most adequate for the guy but if waluigi have to wait until smash 6 that would mean he will not be with everyone and that's kind of disappointing in a sense because I would love to kick some joker's ass with waluigi

D

Deleted member

I agree with mama Luigi a moveset based on every spin off seems the most adequate for the guy but if waluigi have to wait until smash 6 that would mean he will not be with everyone and that's kind of disappointing in a sense because I would love to kick some joker's *** with waluigi
Pretty much.

If Waluigi were to get in, this likely will be the only time in which he gets to fight the entire Smash Veteran Cast. Im 99% sure that Waluigi vs Pichu will not happen in the next game.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
So Waluigi is actually in Bloodstained

waluigi bloodstained.png
This is real btw, if you beat O.D. he just looks like this for the rest of game

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Do you really not see the Waluigi nose and mustache?

Also, I haven't played Bloodstained but it sounds like you can humiliate a boss by forcing him to cosplay Waluigi and that is, like, the funniest ****.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
I don't see why it's waluigi related
It's supposed to be Pushdustin's icon's mustache (he was a huge backer/promoter of bloodstained), his icon uses Waluigi's mustache, so they made a Waluigi-look-alike mustache and nose as an easter egg.

It's literally supposed to be a waluigi reference.

(though to be fair they made the mustache a bit bent like wario's and the nose orange, probably to avoid copyright)

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
It's supposed to be Pushdustin's icon's mustache (he was a huge backer/promoter of bloodstained), his icon uses Waluigi's mustache, so they made a Waluigi-look-alike mustache and nose as an easter egg.

It's literally supposed to be a waluigi reference.

(though to be fair they made the mustache a bit bent like wario's and the nose orange, probably to avoid copyright)
PushDustIn's icon is Wario's mustache though.

In Bloodstained the nose references Waluigi while the mustache references Wario. It's pretty easy to tell that.

Last edited:

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I see it now but still isn't just a weird choice to make to reference Wario and waluigi?

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
I made a mistake, it's not supposed to be a reference to Pushdustin, it's actually ProtonJon, he's the waluigi fan. he doesn't have waluigi as his icon but he is a waluigi fan and he did back/support bloodstained.

My bad everybody

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I see so it's here because a waluigi fan support bloodstained? That's weird

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I see so it's here because a waluigi fan support bloodstained? That's weird
When people back a project on Kickstarter they usually get rewards, with the reward being more substantial the more money is pledged. A certain tier of Bloodstained-supporters got costumes made for them as a reward.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Or waluigi stadium but the pinball seems most likely if that were to happen.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I mean, I don't actually expect him in the Fighter Pass. I think he'll be a base roster character in Smash 6.

Last edited:
Top Bottom