• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
untitled.png

Forgive the font, I was kind of rushing it and the WF Gothic font costs like 500 dollars to use to make these kinds of edits and that's crazy.

This is the NEW Waluigi support thread for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and maybe onward.

Waluigi is an enigma of a character. The newest of the plumbers made back in 2000 for Mario Tennis on the Nintendo 64 by Camelot, Waluigi has been a very popular character used solely in spinoffs and spinoffs alone. Like how Wario is meant to be an evil Mario, Waluigi was designed the same for Luigi... and so Wario could have a teammate in tennis. Charles Martinet, the voice of every Mario plumber, described Waluigi of a character of self-pity and one who cheats because he views everything in the world as cheating against him while everyone else in the world prospers. Waluigi has an eccentric personality. He's whimsical, mischevious, and is a master of Dance Dance Revolution and anything Michael Jackson. His appeal comes from his character, personality, maybe because he looks funny, and more. He's one of the most popular Mario characters in general despite not having a game.

While Mario is the main adventurer, Luigi takes on mansions, and Wario treks for treasure and capitalism, Waluigi has never once stepped foot outside of the Mario Party/Mario Sports/Mario Kart realm. For all intents and purposes, Waluigi is the definitive Mario spinoff character. People often say that's his weakness when really it's his greatest strength. :ultdaisy: was often considered a rival as a spinoff-themed character, but since she's an Echo Fighter, that simply eliminates any competition that could rival that spot as his main gimmick. No character in Smash Bros. has ever used a full list of Mario spinoff titles to his advantage. Hell, his Assist Trophy right now does exactly that by referencing his first appearance in Mario Tennis.

At face value it just sounds like boring sports, but there's plenty to pull from and a lot of imagination to use that could flesh him out. These sports games and kart racing are a lot more than that, and they offer interesting ideas oh how the character can be made.

But he was deconfirmed! He's an Assist! How could he possibly have a chance?!
Mix in some DLC and a pinch of optimism, and anyone is fair game. It may be unlikely as of right now during this current Fighter's Pass, but there is always a possibility of additional DLC beyond the Fighters Pass, and maybe even a second one. We have no clue what Sakurai's plans are for DLC and where he wants to end it.

If Sakurai does choose to bring an Assist Trophy back and rework them as a playable fighter, Waluigi is among the top characters to pick on the list. His immense fanbase is popular, enough to rival those who demand Isaac, Lyndis, Skull Kid, and probably the biggest fish out of that bunch, Dr. Kawashima Shadow the Hedgehog. He's been a top favorite want for many characters starting in the Brawl era, and the same goes for most characters in the list I just gave.

Waluigi being playable while also being an Assist Trophy may sound like a paradox, but :ultrobin: can use :ultchrom: in a final smash to kill a playable :ultchrom:. It's been done before, and isn't impossible to have happen again.

But Sakurai said he'll never make it in no matter what!

1560877731185.png

While this was probably the most heartbreaking thing about it back in 2014, it doesn't seal his fate forever. It never had, as much with anyone else.

Cloud Strife was arguably the sole icon of Final Fantasy after having the most successful installation in the series. However, Final Fantasy VII had never once appeared on a Nintendo console. Smash Bros. does have an eye for promoting certain characters and their games through means such as their moveset or the inclusion itself (Roy and Corrin), and promoting a game that was on Sony's PSX console, a rival company, Nintendo would have absolutely no gain from it. Even Snake had 4 games on Nintendo systems.

People were arguing for something more generic like the Black Mage that could be used as a composite from the original Nintendo hexalogy or Terra from FF6. Others argued for different Square characters such as Geno, Sora, and Lara Croft.

However, in 2015, Cloud was officially announced as DLC for Smash 4, despite all odds going against him. :4cloud: And in 2019, Final Fantasy VII was ported to Nintendo Switch.
Ridley was a fan favorite character, mostly in Western countries. However, it was clear from the beginning that he was always something bigger than what Sakurai originally intended. For three games in a row, he was deconfirmed under the argument that he was simply too big for Smash, either because he wouldn't look right or wouldn't be accurate to the character. He was made from a boss in Brawl to a stage hazard on Pyrosphere in Smash 4.

When the Smash 4 DLC ballot came around, the fans made their statement. And in E3 2018, jaws dropped as Captain America came home. :ultridley:
King K. Rool hadn't appeared in a mainline Donkey Kong game since DK 64 in 1999. His last appearance in any game in general was Mario Super Sluggers in 2008. When Retro Studios revived the Donkey Kong Country series back in 2010, there was no King K. Rool in sight. He wasn't in the sequel, Tropical Freeze, either. He only appeared in Smash 4 as a trophy and nothing more. His situation was similar to Ridleys' but not identical. Ridley was always appearing in most Metroid titles, but King K. Rool was dropped from even his own main series when the franchise was picked back up. For all we knew, he was just a dead character.

When the Smash 4 DLC ballot came around, Sakurai and Nintendo as a whole as legitimately surprised by the fan calling for a Kremling King. They were legitimately unaware just how popular his requests were. In August 2018, K. Rool came home. :ultkrool:
Rareware was one of Nintendo's best second party IPs. They were making bangers after bangers of video game hits, such as Donkey Kong Country, Killer Instinct, Battletoads, and for this instance, the Banjo Kazooie duology on Nintendo 64. In late 1990s America, Banjo would appear in generic advertisements for the system in general. In 2002, Microsoft bought Rare from Nintendo's grip. They did make a third Banjo game in 2008, but it came to lukewarm reviews. Banjo had been a highly requested character for years, but since he was locked behind Rare, and more behind Microsoft, his chances were a lot more slimmed. Microsoft with the Xbox brand was just as competitive as Sony, a similar instance with Cloud. But by the 2010s, Microsoft was becoming friendlier with rival companies and eventually collaborating. In 2018, Xbox and Nintendo announced crossplay with Minecraft. However, this created a divide between people who were arguing towards Banjo and those who were arguing towards other Microsoft characters such as Minecraft Steve (due to the crossplay) or Master Chief.

In E3 2019, many people were ecstatic to find that Banjo and Kazooie came home despite not having been in a game for 10 years.

Could Waluigi not show up as future DLC? It's just as likely as him showing up. The main thing is to never give up. It may not be today, but there will always be tomorrow. Always be optimistic in the direst of situations. Waluigi, like many others who were seemingly hopeless before him, has thousands of supporters somewhere in the world. His day may not be today, but once it comes, people will celebrate, and streamers will scream very loudly into their microphones. Keep hoping, and we will one day get a wah-volution.

image.gif

--Misc. Thread Things--
This will develop as the thread continues; movesets, alts, and support lists go here.

Last edited:

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I want him in to break the fan rule of “character has an AT so they can’t be upgraded to fighter”. Because he’s likely the one to do that out of all the AT’s because he’s so well known in and outside of the Smash community.

Then his Camelot brother can follow him hopefully.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
When it comes to assist trophies being promoted as DLC, the only character that comes to my mind that can fit this role is Waluigi considering his popularity and outrage that got generated last year. There IS a small possibility he might be promoted, but I'm not holding my breath. If Waluigi does arrive as DLC then he has effectively killed the last major fan rule that doesn't concern non-video game characters, and that is assist trophies not being promoted to fighters in the same game.

Count me in as a supporter.

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
So, this is now the third Waluigi support thread for Ultimate alone..... nice.

Anyway, I would like to be added to the support list. I’ve actually wanted Waluigi in Smash since 2013 when I started keeping up with speculation. Seeing him in would be amazing.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Man I was so happy and joyful when Banjo & Kazooie got confirmed last week. They were among my top 3 most wanted characters along with Waluigi and Dixie. You can always count me in as a supporter. Waluigi is among the biggest names left in the characters not playable in Smash yet.

I came across a tweet from PushDustIn PushDustIn talking about which characters could potentially match or top B-K and Hero's reveals (though it will be hard to top) and he says that Waluigi could be that guy.

D

Deleted member

**** it, i support. I mean it's not like it's gonna make a difference at this point, but eh.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Someone else already mentioned it, but if we get Waluigi as a DLC fighter, I hope DLC spirit battles are just various different versions of Waluigi to fit his egotistical nature. Stuff like Walugi(Tennis), Waluigi (kart racer) Walugi( Mario Party), Dr. Walugi, etc.

Sign me up, a surprise Walugi reveal would be the best way to end the fighter pass.

TooBadWaluigiTime

Smash Apprentice
If there's an Assist Trophy upgrade, it's gonna be Waluigi. It just is. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

I support my purple tennis man, and always will.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm primarily a Skull Kid supporter, but I'd be happy to see an assist trophy promoted

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Add me to the support list please, since Waluigi is one of my top tier wants for first party character wise.

andree123

Smash Ace
That Fire P. Plant was added in Mario Tennis Aces and it may had inspired from ssbu's :ultpiranha:, but I imagined a reason why fire P. Plant was added in Mario Tennis aces is because Camelot helped Sakurai on the next fighters pass on moveset of Waluigi (and probably Isaac).

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Waluigi is a good man. I support him with all my heart and soul.

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
Really? People took that Waluigi Miiverse post as an attack against Waluigi? Personally, I never saw it like that. Fans can get so passionate over a fictional character that I understand why Sakurai needed to elaborate that he wasn't playable. Then he threw in the Just because you try hard, doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle, which I saw as a consolation prize but Sakurai's such a troll I understand how it can be easily misinterpreted.
Even if Sakurai hates Waluigi, he didn't pick the DLC. So I'd say Waluigi has a fair shot. Not a likely shot, but a fair shot.

Anyhow, Waluigi's my most wanted character and I'd love to see him in. The Mario spin~offs are profitable enough to warrant their own character and Waluigi represents the chicanery and wackiness of these games so well.
Some have posited the idea of a "fourth~wall~breaking" moveset. I'd rather have him be a coward that fights dirty, having a move that steals the charge of a Smash Attack, or summoning Bob~ombs as Pikmin~like allies! Stuff like that would reflect his character best I think.

TheH2

Smash Rookie
Perhaps the most misunderstood and most underappreciated character in all of videos game. Who knew Smash was meant to torture us rather than please us.

Iziin

Smash Rookie
I've been lurking the boards for quite a while and have finally decided to create an account so I can show my support for the purple lanky man. He's definitely my most wanted by far, and it's a shame he's been stuck in AT hell for more than 10 years now! Fingers crossed Sakurai brings him home eventually. He's got so much moveset potential, and I'm positive Sakurai would see the value in a very unique character who lets him dip into his creative side.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
I really hope this thread can be the next big Banjo/Edrick. 600+ pages. Wow. That would be the dream.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I don't really buy the rumour myself, but Waluigi was still my second most wanted Mario character so sign me up I guess. If he gets in I'll at least get one character I was interested in that isn't an echo or semi clone.

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
Waluigi has been my most wanted character for a long time now and I am very hopeful for him to appear as DLC. I would love to be added to the support list!

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Count me as a supporter (long time one too).

Got some Waluigi stuff for you WAHnderful folks!

So first, since it's pride month and Waluigi is the same colors as the Non-Binary Flag, here's this image i found of him T-Posing in Front of it :D
waluigi nonbinary.jpg
Happy Pride everyone! Remember Waluigi loves & Supports you <3

Next, the Paragon Leak, the one that's credible but also confusing, and is currently up in the air in terms of it's likeliness. There's no definite proof it's fake or real, though from what i seen there's a lot to this one. Though, i must stress as always, this isn't 100% confirmed true or fake, so please folks do not over-hype yourselves or take this as the truth, and opposite side of the spectrum don't just completely dismiss it without least considering it, and don't harp on people who believe it just cause you don't. It's just a possible leak, could happen, might not happen, end of the day it's nothing to get worked up about.

That being said, i will now talk about it so possible spoilers ahead. you've been warned.
Alright, let's get into this.

So, here's the leak image itself.

This was taken from a conversation that was had a few days before the E3 direct. As you can see, it pointed out things that did come true, mainly breath of the wild 2. this leak also guessed that Luminary is the default skin for Hero, something almost no one predicted/leaked. As far as it goes currently, no one has found this screen shot to be faked or anything, it was leaked apparently by an ex-friend of paragon who got pissed at them and leaked this from their alt account. Some people have suggested that the time settings were altered on discord/the computer to make it line up like this, but i don't think it is possible to do that, and i have yet to see anyone recreate this claim.
Btw, it was apparently know that the image that is in that convo was posted long before this conversation leak. right after the tournament i believe.

I personally tried to connect this leak with the color theory that has been going around, this is what i've created regarding, that.
Color theory and Sans Waluigi leak.png

Another thing i missed in my image, is the current speculation regarding Waluigi's role in Luigi's mansion 3, as people believe he may be playing a big role (possibly the true antagonist of it) in the game. This came up due to the majority of the hotel featuring dark purple decor and furniture that has yellow accents (his most prominent colors), the fact that King Boo was just thrown into the trailer as if he isn't the final boss or main villain, and the main thing being the sign from intro being eerily similar to Waluigi's mustache and nose, the the top of the sign almost exactly like his nose.

[

Waluigi having his first Major role in a Mainline game would be certainly enough to warrant his inclusion in Smash, but not only that, but if he is indeed the last character, then both this and the LM3 thing coincide with 2020 being Waluigi's 20th anniversary, as Luigi's Mansion 3 is right at the end of this year, and Waluigi being the last character for smash dlc fighter pass 1 would mean he would be going into 2020 with his release, aka his anniversary year.
The timing is too coincidental.

We also have this video from a recent Q&A from Charles Martinet, while not saying explicitly that Waluigi is happening in Ultimate, he does say "his will soon have his time in the sun"

There's also a lot backing up the Undertale rep section of the leak, but since this is the Waluigi thread i will keep that out for now but to summarize, Sakurai has very much an interest in Undertale, Toby has added Smash references in both Undertale and DeltaRune, and Undertale in general has became absolutely huge worldwide. Like, it was so big in japan for it's re-releases on the PS4 and Switch that it came as a Physical copy with a bluray soundtrack and a gold-plated locket music box, it was pretty big launch. Sans himself also has ranked high in smash fan polls, but none more higher than the Japanese smash fan poll, beating out tons of other characters to get to 7th place.

Now, recent info from PapaGenos has come out that has put this leak/theory up into the air

Now, PG dismisses the leak outright, but i think really the leak hasn't been made less likely as i originally thought seeing this, but more confusing than anything. One thing i can say, PG says that Paragon was looking into another leak that featured info on the direct from 4chan, claimed it seems very likely. PG said that this could be a hint Paragon is lying, but here's the thing, Paragons has stated before that they only look through smash stuff mostly, and in that 4chan leak the smash stuff that was mentioned is indeed true, it's just the other stuff that wasn't. not to mention, paragon leaked nothing else of the direct, just the smash stuff and BOTW2, which btw they said they never even asked for. There's a lot of other variables and things PG and his discord did seem to consider or glossed over. I also want to put personally, PG and a lot of other people who covered this leak seem to really be dismissive of it specifically of the fact it features Waluigi and Undertale reps. They also are being pretty dismissive of thins like Undertale's popularity and influence (as i mentioned before about it's popularity in countries like Japan), and Waluigi getting in cause he's currently an assist (ignoring things like how assist trophies already have code in them to turn them off like alucard on stages that have reflections and the training room where you can pick assist trophies. and also taking the fan made rule that assists can't get dlc same-game upgrades to heart even though it's never been stated by sakurai that they can't or anyone else for that matter.) As it stands for me, this leak is seemign to ahve a lot going for it, but there is some thigns that have brought doubt to it, but it hasnb't been confirmed 1000% fake yet, paragon is currently missing so we cna't know for sure, so i say, take with salt, but also

There's no reason to completely dismiss this yet, and there's no reason to 100% believe either, but it's something we should keep an eye on i believe.
Just, we shall see what happens.

So there it all is, just last thing, this image:

I know this might not be ideal for some people, but me personally, God i hope this is what we get. I'd be totally satisfied with this, thought with this image specifically i'd have Waluigi as the last fighter.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So what is everyone thoughts on the Waluigi leak?
I see no reason to believe it. Probably a Loz case where they got something real and added something fake.

I'd be willing to accept the possibility of Waluigi getting upgraded because if someone's getting upgraded it's him, but Sans kills the leak for me. No way he's getting in.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
I see no reason to believe it. Probably a Loz case where they got something real and added something fake.

I'd be willing to accept the possibility of Waluigi getting upgraded because if someone's getting upgraded it's him, but Sans kills the leak for me. No way he's getting in.
The person says specifically that some people have said to them that Sans is not the Undertale rep, but it's not 100% certain. If anything, they imply Frisk is the most likely one for the Undertale rep

And why would Sans kill it? I don't really see a reason he couldn't get it. I mean we have a Microsoft character and other "rule breaking" or "game breaking" characters in the game already, why wouldn't Sans be eligible?

Last edited:

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
So what is everyone thoughts on the Waluigi leak?
I do not believe the paragon leak. I was sceptical about the leak as soon as it came out, and now that I've watched PapaGenos' video on it I do not believe it. I still think Waluigi is likely to appear as DLC.

Last edited:

Cycrum

Smash Apprentice
I'd love to see this happen. Waluigi has been one of my most wanted characters ever since March of last year. I absolutely support the idea of him making the jump from assist to playable character!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The person says specifically that some people have said to them that Sans is not the Undertale rep, but it's not 100% certain. If anything, they imply Frisk is the most likely one for the Undertale rep

And why would Sans kill it? I don't really see a reason he couldn't get it. I mean we have a Microsoft character and other "rule breaking" or "game breaking" characters in the game already, why wouldn't Sans be eligible?
Three reasons (they apply to any Undertale character, not just Sans)

1: none of them has any movesets potential
2: having a character from Undertale in Smash goes against the whole message of the game
3: spoilers. Toby Fox hates spoilers

(Disclaimer: I love Undertale, this is not me hating, I just think it's virtually impossible that it gets a character in Smash)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm not investing on the rumor, but I'm not denying it either. That's how I always roll, but I always keep the skepticism high.

Three reasons (they apply to any Undertale character, not just Sans)

1: none of them has any movesets potential
2: having a character from Undertale in Smash goes against the whole message of the game
3: spoilers. Toby Fox hates spoilers

(Disclaimer: I love Undertale, this is not me hating, I just think it's virtually impossible that it gets a character in Smash)
Yeah but the rumor says it's either both or nothing, you can't have just one. :nifty:

Top Bottom