• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A new quest beckons: Monster Hunter for Smash!

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Yeah, I think the chances of a Capcom rep are looking slim.

It especially sucks since they took out the hunter and Palico in one fell swoop

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Passing by to leave my condolences. After a while, it seemed like Monster Hunter could have a character besides a boss in the game but that last presentation showed us something else.

Capcom might or might not get a character for the last two characters in the pass so I don't know at this point. At least there's Monster Hunter Rise to look forward to. Take it easy, guys.

:bowser:.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
I haven’t completely lost hope yet. Obviously I’m not expecting anything, but...the Monster Hunter miis are the old ones from Smash 4. What I’m saying is, my hopes would be completely gone if there was a mii with the default Rise Hunter look. They made a new hat for the palico but not an outfit to represent Rise?

As I said earlier, I no longer think the Hunter has a good chance anymore, but we’ll have a much clearer answer depending on if Rise gets a spirit event or not.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I see the miis as a surefire deconfirmation, just based on the fact that even if a hypothetical Rise Hunter was added, Nintendo would add the Sm4sh mii costumes with the Rise character.

Here's a hypothetical question just for fun: If the rumors that Capcom doesn't want to use the Hunter in crossovers because they'd prefer the monsters to be the stars of the show are true and the smash team found some way to add a giant character without breaking the game, which monster would you want to see be added to Smash Bros? It'd definitely be fun to play as something like a Brachydios, Zinogre, or Tigrex

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I see the miis as a surefire deconfirmation, just based on the fact that even if a hypothetical Rise Hunter was added, Nintendo would add the Sm4sh mii costumes with the Rise character.

Here's a hypothetical question just for fun: If the rumors that Capcom doesn't want to use the Hunter in crossovers because they'd prefer the monsters to be the stars of the show are true and the smash team found some way to add a giant character without breaking the game, which monster would you want to see be added to Smash Bros? It'd definitely be fun to play as something like a Brachydios, Zinogre, or Tigrex
I'd rather they make a Monster fighting game, perhaps a crossover with Pokken?

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Man, it was looking so good for us but that's probably the nail in the coffin. I wonder if it really is because Capcom doesn't want the hunters to be used. Unfortunately, the chances of us getting any word about that are slim.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

Gore Magala or Rajang would be cool!

Ornl

Smash Ace
I agree. Upgrading a Costume into a Fighter now would cause the character to lose his authenticity and his effect of real surprise. This would result in a bad honorary elevation.
Also, this would trigger incomprehension and anger: everyone supporting characters that are représented by Costumes (Bomberman, Heihachi, Sans, Tails, Travis Touchdown...) would consider this favoritism unfair and unwarranted.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Man, it was looking so good for us but that's probably the nail in the coffin. I wonder if it really is because Capcom doesn't want the hunters to be used. Unfortunately, the chances of us getting any word about that are slim.
Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite disproves the notion they don't want actual hunters to crossover ever, but it is clear they still have a preference to the monsters themselves, which you can see in mobile card game Teppen where the three main Monster Hunter heroes are Rathalos, Nergigante and Felyne.

Chances are they just figured the work to make the hunter feel right in Smash would have been too much compared to costumes, or they just had higher priorities, that's all.

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if MVC:I soured the Monster Hunter devs on having the hunter represent the series. Like they gave it a shot for Infinite and were disappointed by how it came out

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I wonder if MVC:I soured the Monster Hunter devs on having the hunter represent the series. Like they gave it a shot for Infinite and were disappointed by how it came out
If they hated this depiction of the hunter so much, why do we now have talking hunters in Rise?

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Don't forget the MH Rise presentation coming later, it's been rumoured we're getting a second demo which will be nice to look forward to. March 8th 6am PST/2pm GST.

Honestly part of the reason I'm not too upset about MH not getting in Smash is because we have a fun new game on the horizon and our series is still strong, compared to other reps who might be relying on Smash for a revival or boost.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
The Hunter gets Mii'd less than a week from Chameleos getting confirmed for Rise

A soul for a soul

Also, I knew it was likely, but I'm glad that Zinogre's finally confirmed. Now my dream of beating up Magnamalo while riding a Zinogre can be realized

Rikarte

Smash Ace
The Hunter gets Mii'd less than a week from Chameleos getting confirmed for Rise

A soul for a soul

Also, I knew it was likely, but I'm glad that Zinogre's finally confirmed. Now my dream of beating up Magnamalo while riding a Zinogre can be realized
Yeah, I got one of my biggest wants deconfirmed for Smash only to get one of my biggest wants confirmed for the game they're from. I'm okay with this haha. REALLY surprised we didn't see Lagiacrus yet tho.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah, I got one of my biggest wants deconfirmed for Smash only to get one of my biggest wants confirmed for the game they're from. I'm okay with this haha. REALLY surprised we didn't see Lagiacrus yet tho.
Watch him be one of the post-launch updates, maybe alongside a sea based map even though he has been to Flooded Forest before?

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I'm interested in how the Rampage is going to work in general. When it first got announced I thought it was going to be a quick way to farm parts since it seemed we were going to be slaying a bunch of monsters at once, but now it's definitely shaping up to be some kind of tower-defense game where we just repel them. Maybe we'll only get parts from the apex monsters, which we'll have to slay instead of repel.

Also, it's a little weird seeing apex monsters without the context of the frenzy virus.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm interested in how the Rampage is going to work in general. When it first got announced I thought it was going to be a quick way to farm parts since it seemed we were going to be slaying a bunch of monsters at once, but now it's definitely shaping up to be some kind of tower-defense game where we just repel them. Maybe we'll only get parts from the apex monsters, which we'll have to slay instead of repel.

Also, it's a little weird seeing apex monsters without the context of the frenzy virus.
The name given for then in Japanese is different than in 4 Ultimate.

It's certainly a neat variation on sieges that had one huge elder dragon. I wonder if old siege maps could be repurposed for this?

NoobNPG

Smash Rookie
Well, sorry guys. Sucks that they kept you in suspense and held onto the costumes for so long just to coincide with Rise. I'm starting to think we're just not getting a Capcom character.
Who knows. Monster hunter is disconfirmed by the mii costume but Dante could make an appearance in next announcements (LMFAO)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Anyone try the monster and hunter-buddy personality quizzes on the Monster Hunter Asia site? Apparently I'm most like a Mizutsune and my main is Charge Blade + Palico/Palamute.

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I took the quiz. The monster I got is Magnamalo and my weapon/buddy combo is Gunlance + Palamute/Palamute (I haven't actually tried GL in the demo yet, but I dabbled in it while playing World/GU)

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I find it kinda weird that MHR didn't have a spirit event yet, given how much Nintendo has pushed the game. Hope they don't skip out on it, I want my Palamute spirit...

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I find it kinda weird that MHR didn't have a spirit event yet, given how much Nintendo has pushed the game. Hope they don't skip out on it, I want my Palamute spirit...

Speak of the Deviljho...

On another note, does anyone find Great Wroggi in Rise to be surprisingly tricky? He's really good at keeping his distance with poison spit and can chain a lot of moves together.

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace

Speak of the Deviljho...

On another note, does anyone find Great Wroggi in Rise to be surprisingly tricky? He's really good at keeping his distance with poison spit and can chain a lot of moves together.
I actually didn't hunt him yet, but his wyvern ride is top tier.
Though that's the case with most of the ones that can inflict status conditions.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I actually didn't hunt him yet, but his wyvern ride is top tier.
Though that's the case with most of the ones that can inflict status conditions.
It'd be easier to list the ones that don't at least give the opportunity to apply an elemental blight, but all of them can cause a lot of damage (and dropped materials) regardless. Doesn't get much more potent than a free sleep application though. By the way, did you know even the little Baggis can end up putting other large monsters to sleep?

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
It'd be easier to list the ones that don't at least give the opportunity to apply an elemental blight, but all of them can cause a lot of damage (and dropped materials) regardless. Doesn't get much more potent than a free sleep application though. By the way, did you know even the little Baggis can end up putting other large monsters to sleep?
I think that might've happened to me once during a Barioth hunt. I didn't know what was happening since I didn't have sleep status on any of my gear and there weren't any other large monsters nearby.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think that might've happened to me once during a Barioth hunt. I didn't know what was happening since I didn't have sleep status on any of my gear and there weren't any other large monsters nearby.
Great Baggi being an early monster means you get sleep-capable weapons much earlier than in most Monster Hunter games. Both his and Wroggi's bow give boosts to sleep coatings.

And, even with large monsters going back to aggroing you on sight compared to World, it's an odd feeling where other monsters crashing your fight is something you welcome instead, thanks to all of them wanting to fight each other and leave one rideable. As for the small monsters, Rhenoplos are super relaxed, almost always lying down and I've never seen one even try to charge unless I was attacking them, and you need to stand in front of Melynxes for a few seconds before they are compelled to steal from you.

It seems that it's only in the Arena that you have to worry about fighting multiple monsters at once.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
And, even with large monsters going back to aggroing you on sight compared to World, it's an odd feeling where other monsters crashing your fight is something you welcome instead, thanks to all of them wanting to fight each other and leave one rideable. As for the small monsters, Rhenoplos are super relaxed, almost always lying down and I've never seen one even try to charge unless I was attacking them, and you need to stand in front of Melynxes for a few seconds before they are compelled to steal from you.
Yeah, I noticed the small monsters have been very lax compared to earlier games. I don't think I've had a Rhenoplos charge me even once. Even the Bullfangos are noticeably tamer, to the point where I don't really feel the overpowering urge to kill them on sight like in other games.

And yeah, it's a little weird to be in the middle of a fight with a monster, then have it completely lose focus on you and aggro another large monster as soon as it sets foot in your zone. I think the only times they'll actually ignore each other and attack you in tandem is if they've both been mounted previously.

Last edited:

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Wow no discussions on the new update for Rise? They made the unthinkable happen and turned Kushala Daora into an actually fun fight.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Wow no discussions on the new update for Rise? They made the unthinkable happen and turned Kushala Daora into an actually fun fight.
Some of us don't take to rushing through ranks, OK? I can speak for neither for World Kushala or Rise Kushala at this point, but I never really disliked fighting him in games before that. Was always the crazy prepared type who changes weapons all the time so I guess that's why I never felt chafed at having poison ready to weaken him. If anything it was Teostra that aggravated me with his annoying rams. Though from what little I've glimpsed of him, the most suprising thing about him I noticed is using dragon claw attacks. Who would have thunk he of all monsters would ever be one of the sole dragonblight givers in any given game?

But a lot of returning monsters have surprised players. Sometimes it's just importing tricks from prior subspecies, but you also have things like Rathalos being uncharacteristally aggressive and fast-paced, Anjanath's fire blast no longer being only a rage-ending move, Mizutsune's water drifting, Jyuratodus's... everything etc. The only monster I've heard even vaguely suggested to be easier or downgraded is Rajang, which is kind of to be expected when his last appearance was master-rank only.

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
But a lot of returning monsters have surprised players. Sometimes it's just importing tricks from prior subspecies, but you also have things like Rathalos being uncharacteristally aggressive and fast-paced, Anjanath's fire blast no longer being only a rage-ending move, Mizutsune's water drifting, Jyuratodus's... everything etc. The only monster I've heard even vaguely suggested to be easier or downgraded is Rajang, which is kind of to be expected when his last appearance was master-rank only.
I'd say that Bazelgeuse was downgraded slightly in Rise too. I think overall, monsters needed to be tuned up since wirebugs trivialize a lot of attack patterns that would've been hard to deal with in prior games. Between that and the removal of stuff like cold/hot drinks and bleed, keeping the monsters at the same difficulty levels would make the game a little too easy imo.

Last edited:

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Some of us don't take to rushing through ranks, OK? I can speak for neither for World Kushala or Rise Kushala at this point, but I never really disliked fighting him in games before that. Was always the crazy prepared type who changes weapons all the time so I guess that's why I never felt chafed at having poison ready to weaken him. If anything it was Teostra that aggravated me with his annoying rams. Though from what little I've glimpsed of him, the most suprising thing about him I noticed is using dragon claw attacks. Who would have thunk he of all monsters would ever be one of the sole dragonblight givers in any given game?
Kushala in World spent 80% of the time flying and spamming tornadoes that hung around forever. Iceborne made it even more annoying with moving tornadoes and nerfed flash pods. What they did with Kushala in Rise is nothing short of a miracle given what it was just 1 game prior to it. Teostra was always a fun fight for me though and Rise kept it that way. Chameleos is fun too.

Yeah Rajang isn't the ape**** murder machine it was in Iceborne. I noticed it even lost it's running horn tackle move. It's not something to sleep on though, I noticed its thunder beam has some last second tracking on it when it's in rage mode. Once Rise gets it's own Master Rank, Rajang might get Iceborne's craziness back.

I'd say that Bazelgeuse was downgraded slightly in Rise too. I think overall, monsters needed to be tuned up since wirebugs trivialize a lot of attack patterns that would've been hard to deal with in prior games. Between that and the removal of stuff like cold/hot drinks and bleed, keeping the monsters at the same difficulty levels would make the game a little too easy imo.
I'm not really sure. It uses its bombs to cover punish windows in ways I never remember it doing in World.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Nobody exemplifies this more than poor Khezu. He has not changed at all, and while this made him an at least mid-tier threat in old games, all the new tricks in this game make it almost painfully easy to run circles around him now. And the devs seem to know this since he's been demoted to the early tiers of monsters in Rise.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That didn't stop people from getting filtered by Khezu anyway.

This guy also took over 30 minutes on a low rank Aknosom.
Khezu definitely stands out from from other early monsters here by being really tanky and hitting hard rather than being small and evasive, which definitely checks those who haven't been keeping up on upgrades. You still get tastes of his old-school nonsense before you fully grasp the mobility options Rise gives you.

Top Bottom