• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A new quest beckons: Monster Hunter for Smash!

Mr. MR

Smash Apprentice
Anyone hear the news about Nintendo using the Rise demo to test the servers they'll be changing to? It's interesting to see this level of cooperation between two big companies even outside of promoting games, and no doubt a testament to the faith in the game pulling massive numbers, by using even a demo to stress test such a massive shift.
No, I didn't hear about that. It has interesting implications. I hope this means Nintendo is actually taking the criticism of its servers seriously.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
No, I didn't hear about that. It has interesting implications. I hope this means Nintendo is actually taking the criticism of its servers seriously.
I don't think that's how peer to peer games work. They're probably only changing because their current one is no longer being updated and supported. And, this is not the first time Monster Hunter has gotten special online treatment on a Nintendo platform. Tri on the Wii's online functionality blew pretty much every other's on the platform out of the water.

Last edited:

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
Just dropping in to say I support. I've played Monster Hunter since Tri (I use Switch Axe, Lance, and Sword & Shield), and the Hunter in Smash has been an idea I've always toyed with, but only recently has it started seeming like a genuine possibility.

I probably won't post here too often, but I'll probably drop in whenever there's a development. I've also got a few moveset ideas, so I might turn that into a full moveset later.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Has anyone stopped and noticed how similar Fury Bowser is to Gogmazios? Also Direct on Wednesday.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Wow, seems like we're getting a remaster of both the Sandy Plains and the Gen 3 Volcano. I'm loving all the MH3 attention in this game!

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I know it's just a pattern but Pyra/Mythra further support the idea that this entire pass is gonna be stuff that barely missed the base game. Don't think the Hunters' chances have changed at all, they're as likely as ever.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
With the exception of Steve, every character thus far has been from something that already had content, but really could have used more. Monster Hunter is currently the only series in the awkward position of having a boss and that's it. The rest of the bosses are either Smash-originals or their series are decently fleshed out. The stage isn't playable outside of the boss fight, and other than that we have Rathalos getting recycled for an AT, two music tracks, and a lone Rathalos spirit. And here sits the Monster Hunter series, finally hitting the mainstream in the west and only growing bigger, in addition to having been massive in Japan for a long time now. With a big new release on the way that is currently generating a ton of hype. An addition to Smash that would be E3-worthy, hands down (and could be even more timely if Rise gets DLC revealed at E3, which could very well happen). Really feels like if any series is next in line to fix its lack of content, it's Monster Hunter.

There's also the returning Mii costumes from Smash 4. Well there are only two left - the Lloyd one, and the MH armor duo. I think those costumes will return, giving all the more incentive to add The Hunter to Smash! I truly feel like The Hunter is the most likely character right now.

The only possible issue is that the Mii costume would make sense to return with Pyra & Mythra (both are JRPGs and both are duos) so we'll have to see what happens on that front.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
So someone found this leak about a concert for next year and this was posted last month. https://arch.b4k.co/v/thread/539627752/#539627752 The music Counterattack from Xenoblade 2 was played during Pyra/Mythra reveal yesterday. Below that song are 2 songs which could be the final 2 fighters.
I posted about that leak in the Forest Maze Discord server, but I was immediately told it was fake. Mostly because Pollyanna isn't the EarthBound song being played.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
What if the reason The Hunter hasn't been added yet is Sakurai was aware of Rise, and Capcom wanted to wait for it to be out before The Hunter joined? Especially since their new outfit is iconic. I wonder if they might want there to be a grace period for people to play the game first before a character gets added, especially considering how they waited a while to add Byleth when they could have added them sooner. Perhaps a precaution taken to wait and see if the game is well-liked after the Corrin backlash.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
What if the reason The Hunter hasn't been added yet is Sakurai was aware of Rise, and Capcom wanted to wait for it to be out before The Hunter joined? Especially since their new outfit is iconic. I wonder if they might want there to be a grace period for people to play the game first before a character gets added, especially considering how they waited a while to add Byleth when they could have added them sooner. Perhaps a precaution taken to wait and see if the game is well-liked after the Corrin backlash.
The hunter doesn't really have a concrete character to speak of, I fail to see how they could end up being disliked as such because of Rise, at least not more than previously.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
The hunter doesn't really have a concrete character to speak of, I fail to see how they could end up being disliked as such because of Rise, at least not more than previously.
Oh, I didn't think, nor mean to imply, that The Hunter would be hated. Just thought maybe Nintendo and/or Capcom may prefer to have people play the game before the character arrives.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
I just had an idea of what Monster Hunter could bring to Smash for be special. Both 4 males and 4 females, 4 different weapons and armor, but their Special Moves will be the same.
Neutral Special: Slinger
Side Special: Palamute
Up Special: Wire Bug
Down Special: Barrel Bomb

So what are the best weapons and armor, aside the Ninja looking armor from Rise, would be fitting for 4 in 1 fighter?

Last edited:

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
I think their Neutral Special should be truly unique. I’m thinking of the Item Radial from World. It could work kind of like Shulk’s Neutral Special.

If you hold B, the Radial appears and you can select which item to have ready.
And quickly pressing B uses the readied item.

For the items:
  • 5 Potions (causes the old stand still animation and recovers 8%)
  • 2 Demondrugs (boosts damage to 1.25x)
  • 2 Armorskin (greatly reduced knock back)
  • A Shock Trap
  • A Pitfall Trap
  • 2 Barrel Bombs

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think their Neutral Special should be truly unique. I’m thinking of the Item Radial from World. It could work kind of like Shulk’s Neutral Special.

For the items:
  • A Shock Trap
  • A Pitfall Trap
  • 2 Barrel Bombs
Unless your hunter is using Sword & Shield exclusively or has a sheathed stance, you're kind of forgetting hunters can't use items with most weapons drawn.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace

For the items:
  • A Shock Trap
  • A Pitfall Trap
  • 2 Barrel Bombs
Oh, I never thought of that. I'll revise that.
Neutral special: Item Radial
Side special: Palamute
Up special: Wire Bug
Down special: Sharpening

And for the 4 different weapons for 4 armor sets for regular and Smash attacks. Great Sword, Dual Blades, Lance, and Bow.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
Unless your hunter is using Sword & Shield exclusively or has a sheathed stance, you're kind of forgetting hunters can't use items with most weapons drawn.
I didn’t forget, it’s just that none of that matters in Smash. Sakurai doesn’t follow the rules of a character’s original game perfectly.

Mario can shoot fireballs without the fire flower power up.
Pokémon can use more than 4 moves.
Kirby can use special attacks without having to absorb the enemies from his series.
And the list goes on...

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Next few weeks are gonna be quite nerve-wracking. New Smash presentation which means a new episode of m i i r o u l e t t e as well as an increasingly high chance for a Spirit Event the closer we get to Rise's release! Let's hope the Hunter is still alive by the end of next month.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
It seems that's it for us, it's been fun guys and we were already lucky enough to get our boy Rathalos and some music in. No matter what he will always be one of the most memorable ATs and a big part of the World of Light. Here's hoping we rise to the occassion next time!

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm not the type of person to 100 percent give up on anything like this, it's the notion that this was meant to tie in with Rise that's more damning.

Nevertheless, Monster Hunter itself is it's own speculation game.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Man i was wrong. Very very wrong. Monster Hunter and Chun-Li were the ones i pegged as most likely. Monster Hunter was nearly deconfirmed and Chun-Li had her odds signifinantly reduced.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Welp, it looks like we will be hunting another day. I'm grateful that we got the costumes back at all. At least we got Rathalos and the 2 music tracks.

Top Bottom