• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A new quest beckons: Monster Hunter for Smash!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Dang, looks like the idea I had for MH's Classic route was used for Sephiroth instead. :/
Well, he is a Long Sword main after all...

While I feel pretty positive overall about MH's chances, we can learn from Geno today that costumes can deconfirm as late in the game as now. Here's hoping those MH costumes stay far far away for the next 3 reveals (the only alternative I will accept is them coming with Phoenix Wright as a character)
MH outfits are weird to talk about, because unlike most other Mii outfits, that is exactly what they are even in-universe. Would we be saying Steve is totally out of the running if we got Diamond Armor before him? And while Rathalos gear is one thing with it's mascot status, how could we be certain Alloy of all things would be one of the costumes for the Hunter?

zumaddy

Smash Ace
There's three alternatives I could think of in relation to a Monster Hunter rep not being the Hunter. Ranked in likeliness:

1) Palico/Prowler. Playable in MHGen/XX, these furry friends have been in the MH franchise for a long time and are pretty much the mascots. Could go for a sillier/cuter MH rep
2) A Monster. Devs in the past have mentioned the Monsters represent the series in cross-overs better than the hunters, so why not here? Brachydios/Tigrex/Zinogre/Nargacuga are believable enough size and move-set wise.
3) Ace Commander/Julius. Pretty much the only NPC I think could be a Smash rep, due to the name leak regarding the MH animated series that has him as the protagonist. He was in the most story based game in the series (4U) as well as GU and has some wicked dual blade skills. However he is ranked last due to the fact that in terms of cross-overs, he would result in a resounding 'who' for most people and would only be recognised by dedicated MH fans

They could always make the Admiral an Incineroar echo for fun? ;)

Chad K Rule

Smash Cadet
There's three alternatives I could think of in relation to a Monster Hunter rep not being the Hunter. Ranked in likeliness:

1) Palico/Prowler. Playable in MHGen/XX, these furry friends have been in the MH franchise for a long time and are pretty much the mascots. Could go for a sillier/cuter MH rep
2) A Monster. Devs in the past have mentioned the Monsters represent the series in cross-overs better than the hunters, so why not here? Brachydios/Tigrex/Zinogre/Nargacuga are believable enough size and move-set wise.
3) Ace Commander/Julius. Pretty much the only NPC I think could be a Smash rep, due to the name leak regarding the MH animated series that has him as the protagonist. He was in the most story based game in the series (4U) as well as GU and has some wicked dual blade skills. However he is ranked last due to the fact that in terms of cross-overs, he would result in a resounding 'who' for most people and would only be recognised by dedicated MH fans

They could always make the Admiral an Incineroar echo for fun? ;)
I would love a Playable Felyne but Hunter should come first. Im a dps prowler main in XX.💪💪💪

Anyway Hunters chances are looking really high right now, lets get this hype train going hunters!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I wonder if Fatalis could pull a Sephiroth on Dharkon, just with a huge blast of fire instead of a slash...

zumaddy

Smash Ace
So rumours abound from Imran that MH isn't very likely due to what they've heard about Capcom negotiations.

Also mentions that Marvel v Capcom made them less enthused to use the 'Monster Hunter' as a character in cross-overs, and they prefer to use monsters/stages to represent the series instead.

We've always known this was a possibility, if this is the red flag for MH then I'm just glad Rathalos and some music tracks got in. Seeing Sephiroth summon Rathalos to help him in Mr Sakurai's presentation was just fantastic. :)

Powerman293

Smash Ace
So rumours abound from Imran that MH isn't very likely due to what they've heard about Capcom negotiations.

Also mentions that Marvel v Capcom made them less enthused to use the 'Monster Hunter' as a character in cross-overs, and they prefer to use monsters/stages to represent the series instead.

We've always known this was a possibility, if this is the red flag for MH then I'm just glad Rathalos and some music tracks got in. Seeing Sephiroth summon Rathalos to help him in Mr Sakurai's presentation was just fantastic. :)
I call BS on that whole "Byleth is scraps of a Hunter character" narrative.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I call BS on that whole "Byleth is scraps of a Hunter character" narrative.
It seems unlikely but not impossible. I can imagine Hunter having a bow neutral special, axe down smash etc. But I'm not convinced until we get further information or proof.

It would be pretty ironic if one of my most wanteds died to be another most wanted's moveset though, lol.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It seems unlikely but not impossible. I can imagine Hunter having a bow neutral special, axe down smash etc. But I'm not convinced until we get further information or proof.

It would be pretty ironic if one of my most wanteds died to be another most wanted's moveset though, lol.
Aymr is wielded more like a Great Sword, especially the down special that is almost a dead ringer for the strong charge move.

Rikarte

Smash Ace

Imran has been arguing against the MH for quite some time now. This looks mostly like speculation to me so I wouldn't worry about it too much honestly.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace

I will be incredibly surprised if Hunter used more than one weapon type in his moveset. Based on Steve, Min Min and Terry, I see Sakurai going for a "Playing Monster Hunter but it's Smash" playstyle which would require more mechanical focus over a "As many Monster Hunter References in one moveset" à la Villager or Mega Man.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Consider me a supporter. Even if Monster Hunter was cannibalized by Byleth, I feel like there could be some other option for a playable MH rep, between a different movest Hunter (seriously, there are over a dozen weapons, Sakurai could come up with something else), the Hunter from Rise, a Prowler, or even a monster like Rajang.

Ornl

Smash Ace
The problem seems similar to Resident Evil: the world and the creatures could represent the series better. However, I think it would just need to provide a Single Fighter Ability (wiki), if possible, to increase the unique specificity of the protagonists.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Well, he is a Long Sword main after all...

MH outfits are weird to talk about, because unlike most other Mii outfits, that is exactly what they are even in-universe. Would we be saying Steve is totally out of the running if we got Diamond Armor before him? And while Rathalos gear is one thing with it's mascot status, how could we be certain Alloy of all things would be one of the costumes for the Hunter?
Yes. It makes very little sense to add a related mii costume before the character.
It's not that the character can't get in, it's just that we can logically infer that they aren't in.
The Smash fanbase tends to have a bit of a tendency to confuse possible with likely. It's technically possible that all of the Min Costumes we've seen thus far could still be in the pass, but if you think about it for more than a second, it's almost certainly not going to happen.

Mr. MR

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure what to think about the Imran rumor but I still think the Monster Hunter currently has the best chance despite it.
Could the rumors be true? Yes.
Are they true? I don't know.
In his own posts he says:
Imran said:
From what I know but honestly maybe all my info is bull**** who knows don't trust me:
https://www.resetera.com/ threads/super-smash-bros-ultimate-downloadable-contents-discussion-thread-18-smash-gongaga.343570/page-113#post-54598462
Everything he was talking about concerning Monster Hunter is just reaffirming speculation and rumors that already exists.
It's possible these rumors are true but it's also possible that the already existing rumors influenced this new rumor and it's all just confirmation bias.

Either way, there's still so much going for Monster Hunter:
Huge popularity inside Japan and growing popularity outside.
Good relationship with Nintendo with an exclusive game and a Nintendo direct.
Big promotional effort by Capcom with the movie and I'm pretty sure they are trying to recreate the huge success they had with World's sales.
Monster Hunter is already in Smash and is missing the Hunter.
In game music files possibly point to more Monster Hunter content.
Rise's 4 year development coincides with Ultimates development and if they negotiated for the Hunter most likely they did it along side Rathalos.
Rise being announced and released during Fighter Pass 2 makes it the perfect time for a Monster Hunter Smash reveal.

I'm not going to say he's a shoo-in but for me he has the best chance out of any fighter.

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I hope so. Monster Hunter as a series in general has a lot going for it and is in the best place it's been in years, the fact that the series already has content in smash is something that MH has over the competition (which Min Min, Byleth, and Sephiroth proved doesn't disqualify characters for DLC).

With that being said, I'm still mentally preparing myself to see the mii costumes being revealed in the next fighter presentation, seeing another Capcom character would definitely be the nail in the coffin for Monster Hunter.

Mr. MR

Smash Apprentice
I hope so. Monster Hunter as a series in general has a lot going for it and is in the best place it's been in years, the fact that the series already has content in smash is something that MH has over the competition (which Min Min, Byleth, and Sephiroth proved doesn't disqualify characters for DLC).

With that being said, I'm still mentally preparing myself to see the mii costumes being revealed in the next fighter presentation, seeing another Capcom character would definitely be the nail in the coffin for Monster Hunter.
Yeah I hope it's not the case but I have to temper my expectations anyway. I'm sure if Sakurai didn't end up picking Monster Hunter or if there were complications with adding Monster Hunter he will pick fun and interesting characters anyway. But I still really want it to be Monster Hunter.

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I will be incredibly surprised if Hunter used more than one weapon type in his moveset. Based on Steve, Min Min and Terry, I see Sakurai going for a "Playing Monster Hunter but it's Smash" playstyle which would require more mechanical focus over a "As many Monster Hunter References in one moveset" à la Villager or Mega Man.
There are not as many options for weapons though when you think about it.

Great Sword - Maybe? Might be too clunky for casual players
Long Sword - Might blend in with too many existing sword fighters and gimmicks
Bowguns or Bow- Not the worst idea but doesn't represent the series the best
Lance or Gunlance- Too slow and clunky
Dual Blades- Very similar to a lot of existing characters
Hammer- Actually think it could work if you could constantly move while charging like the games. And give the weapon very good shield damage. Although it might be a bit sparse to be a full moveset.
Hunting Horn- Similar to hammer, but would actually have a cool buff gimmick that could work in team battles.
Switch Axe - Switching gimmick could work quite well and the weapon would obviously be balanced by having the long langed axe have bad frame data while the faster sword use less range.
Insect Glaive- I think could work really well. The only issue is programming the Kinsect but Sakurai managed to make Steve work
Charge Blade- I think would be a perfect representation of what makes the series unique.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Hammer- Actually think it could work if you could constantly move while charging like the games. And give the weapon very good shield damage. Although it might be a bit sparse to be a full moveset.
Hunting Horn- Similar to hammer, but would actually have a cool buff gimmick that could work in team battles.
Switch Axe - Switching gimmick could work quite well and the weapon would obviously be balanced by having the long langed axe have bad frame data while the faster sword use less range.
Insect Glaive- I think could work really well. The only issue is programming the Kinsect but Sakurai managed to make Steve work
Charge Blade- I think would be a perfect representation of what makes the series unique.
If Charge Blade is supposed to represent what is unique about the series, why did it take four generations to be added? There's more to hunting than just the weapon you use.

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace

It would be the Great Sword, that is the main one.
If Charge Blade is supposed to represent what is unique about the series, why did it take four generations to be added? There's more to hunting than just the weapon you use.
Also I agree with that last bit. That's why I don't think Monster Hunter would work if they put more than one weapon in their moveset, if you go for one weapon, you can make Monster Hunter like Min Min, a character who feels simultaneously like a character from its base game and a smash character.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It would be the Great Sword, that is the main one.

Also I agree with that last bit. That's why I don't think Monster Hunter would work if they put more than one weapon in their moveset, if you go for one weapon, you can make Monster Hunter like Min Min, a character who feels simultaneously like a character from its base game and a smash character.
Now I don't buy that either, when you look at the hunter in MvCI and how the Inklings use more than one weapon in Smash despite not being able to do so normally in their own game either. I had the idea of creating five different "loadouts" using a set of weapons covering a certain theme: speed (SnS, Dual Blades and Long Sword), power (Great Sword, Hammer and Switch Axe), defense (Lance and Gunlance), range (Bow and both bowguns), and the quirky set (Hunting Horn, Insect Glaive and Charge Blade). Whether or not switching in battle is possible, all of them have the same "sheathed" stance focused on mobility and using tools to help create more opportunities to attack.

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Now I don't buy that either, when you look at the hunter in MvCI and how the Inklings use more than one weapon in Smash despite not being able to do so normally in their own game either. I had the idea of creating five different "loadouts" using a set of weapons covering a certain theme: speed (SnS, Dual Blades and Long Sword), power (Great Sword, Hammer and Switch Axe), defense (Lance and Gunlance), range (Bow and both bowguns), and the quirky set (Hunting Horn, Insect Glaive and Charge Blade). Whether or not switching in battle is possible, all of them have the same "sheathed" stance focused on mobility and using tools to help create more opportunities to attack.
One, Sakurai has a very different design ethos to MVC.
Also with Inkling each weapon doesn't really have enough to build a whole moveset around it, unlike Monster Hunter.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Monster Hunter in Smash? Sign me up!

Here's an idea for a moveset I came up with:

Jab: SnS 3-hit combo

U-Smash: Hunting Horn overhead swing
F-Smash: Hammer charge
D-Smash: SwitchAxe swings

Air and grab attacks could use many combinations of other weapons.

Grab: Wirebug

Neutral B: Great Sword Charge
Can be charged in the air

Up B (Ground): Insect Glaive Jump
Up B (Air): Wirebug

Down B: Item Wheel
This move will make a wheel appear similar to Shulk. From there you can select an item and the hunter will take a second to perform that action. The hunter will have a very limited amount of uses for these items, so be sure to plan accordingly! You can cancel out of the wheel by shielding. The items will restock after you die.
Items:

Pitfall Trap (x2) - Traps the player similar to a pitfall seed but it can work on platforms
Whetstone (inf) - Will regain the hunter's sharpness
Potion(x3) - Restores a small amount of health
Barrel Bomb S(x2)
Barrel Bomb L(x2)
Flash Bomb (x2) - Works like deku seeds

Gimmick: Sharpness
With the hunter's impressive amount of versatility there's a great cost. Each attack you perform (not including the item wheel) will consume a small bit of sharpness. The hunter will start out at a long green sharpness and gradually move to yellow and then red. Using the whetstone will restore the hunter's sharpness.

The sharpness meter would appear above the player icon and be modeled after the Rise meter.

Green Sharpness: Default attack power
Yellow Sharpness: -15% Attack Power
Red Sharpness: -35% Attack Power

Final Smash: "Hunting Party"
A Rathalos will swoop in and the hunter will call 3 other hunters to help attack it. They pitfall trap the monster and the player and end the FS with a massive barrel bomb explosion

Taunts:
Up - Flaunt emote
Down - Shadowbox emote
Left/Right - Prance emote

Victory Screen:
The hunter does an animation and the QUEST CLEAR logo appears.
Music - Quest Clear (I'd choose 4U but they could go with Rise since it's the latest game)
Animation 1 - Hunter does a massive flex
Animation 2 - Hunter cooks a steak and it ends with "So Tasty!" and their feline will cheer them on
Animation 3 - Hunter dives into the screen and does the end of the flaunt emote

This type of moveset would greatly emphasize the game's theme of teamwork. The hunter would have trouble fighting alone, but could pull off some massive damage if you're not careful.

With Rise coming out in March, I fully believe Monster Hunter will be the next character. The timing is too perfect for it to not happen.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
After weathering Fatalis's wrath in the previous year (in more ways than one), we get to kick off this one anxiously waiting for a taste of the new era on Switch.

Last edited:

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
So now that we saw the new mounting mechanic, do we all agree that should be the Final Smash? Imagine being able to control the boss Rathalos.

Mr. MR

Smash Apprentice
Except those kinds of Final Smashes don't exist in Ultimate.
It would probably be more cinematic. Like the Hunter riding Rathalos and shooting a giant fireball at whoever was caught in the FS.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I would probably be more cinematic. Like the Hunter riding Rathalos and shooting a giant fireball at whoever was caught in the FS.
I still think using siege weaponry like cannons or the dragonator would work better as an ultimate attack. Maybe have the fighters be collateral damage in a fight against a large elder if you really need a monster in there.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I just find it strains credibility a bit considering you're supposed to beat the monster into submission to "ride" it, so just having it show up to help out of nowhere kind of gives the wrong impression.

Mr. MR

Smash Apprentice
I just find it strains credibility a bit considering you're supposed to beat the monster into submission to "ride" it, so just having it show up to help out of nowhere kind of gives the wrong impression.
I think of it more as you weaken it/tire it out enough to the point where you can force it move and attack or bash it against a wall. The impression I got was they were basically controlling the monster like a puppet against the monsters will

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
It'd be hard to add this due to balancing, but having a monster mounting mechanic/limit break would be amazing, not only for gameplay but also giving the monsters a bigger role with the fighter. Even if rathalos is a boss, being able to have something like a tigrex or nargacuga charge into an enemy would be amazingly fun.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I get a hunch that there is going to be another Rise demo down the line, considering this one only goes up to Intermediate in difficulty. Enjoying it quite a bit so far with both exploring and fighting, this being my chance to catch up on World moveset updates, although at least once Arzuros somehow noticed me while standing on a high cliff.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
If Rise does get a hard more demo, what monster would you want to fight? I could see them releasing one with either an as of yet unrevealed monster or maybe releasing hard mode alongside a new trailer showcasing a flagship monster from previous gens, like Zinogre. I would personally choose Goss Harog, but he wouldn't really fit in the shrine ruins.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If Rise does get a hard more demo, what monster would you want to fight? I could see them releasing one with either an as of yet unrevealed monster or maybe releasing hard mode alongside a new trailer showcasing a flagship monster from previous gens, like Zinogre. I would personally choose Goss Harog, but he wouldn't really fit in the shrine ruins.
They would very likely pick Magnamolo as the hard monster, like they did with Nergigante. The others could include some from the Flooded Forest.

Top Bottom