• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A new quest beckons: Monster Hunter for Smash!

Mr. MR

Smash Apprentice
As cool as that would be, I feel like Nergigante would be confined to World unless it turns out Rise is also on the New World. It's the face of World, and more importantly, it only tackled threats to the environment when they were on the New World; It didn't llift a finger against creatures like the Fatalis or the Fire Miralis, since they're Old World monsters. Nergigante's probably going to be kept a New World monster.
Yeah I figured, but I can still hope.
Though I did see an Anja in the Monster Hunter Stories 2 trailer...
Perhaps New World monsters are coming over the ocean 🤔

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yeah I figured, but I can still hope.
Though I did see an Anja in the Monster Hunter Stories 2 trailer...
Perhaps New World monsters are coming over the ocean 🤔
Maybe it's one of those moments when monsters inhabited locations that were separated by tectonic plates, so they end up all over the world. Of course, that just leads to even more questions because now we need to take Monster Hunter's millions of years of history into account.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Just so you know, the new flagship was manhandling New World denizen Tobi Kadachi. Though unless there's another Elder Dragon threat in Rise, Nerg is unlikely to play any major part. Always possible he'll show up anyway if they want to throw Switch owners a bone, though.

I don't know if any of you have heard of card-battler Teppen (a Capcom crossover between Monster Hunter, Street Fighter, Darkstalkers, Resident Evil & Devil May Cry), but you can actually play as Nergigante in that game, and he has a mini-campaign that implies he hibernates for long periods of time until he is hungry or detects fresh Elder Dragon power.

I actually think he is more likely to show up in Stories 2. It's called Wings of Ruin, and Ruin is a term frequently associated with Nergigante, both his signature divebomb move (Heaven's Ruin) and his subspecies. And given how they highlighted World monsters showing up in it like Anjanath and Legiana, he's pretty likely. Probably will get misblamed for something like Absol.

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
Tbh I don't think the Hunter would have any moves from rise given how recent it is.
Fair enough, though this game seems to be in development for a good while, I could see some mechanics making it in if they were planned from early on

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Fair enough, though this game seems to be in development for a good while, I could see some mechanics making it in if they were planned from early on
I'm expecting the Wirebug at the very least. Seeing as it was made as an integral part of the game, to the point that it was even named after it, I'd imagine that Sakurai would be able to learn about that after checking in with Capcom. And remember, Joker got the Grappling Hook months before Scramble was announced. Still, a Wirebug up special is the most I'm expecting.

Mr. MR

Smash Apprentice
Eshop image.
Thanks I was worried there for a moment.

Edit: Read this on mobile and forgot to comment.
I actually think he is more likely to show up in Stories 2. It's called Wings of Ruin, and Ruin is a term frequently associated with Nergigante, both his signature divebomb move (Heaven's Ruin) and his subspecies. And given how they highlighted World monsters showing up in it like Anjanath and Legiana, he's pretty likely. Probably will get misblamed for something like Absol.
I can't believe I didn't pick up on that. That's a pretty good theory. I wonder if the words are the same in Japanese?

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Since we're back on Nintendo - are there any Switch game collabs you'd want to see? I'd love an Astral Chain DLC with an Officer Howard armor for the hunter + Legion armor for the Palamute. Or how about the relics from 3H as weapons? We already had a Fire Emblem crossover in generations after all.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Since we're back on Nintendo - are there any Switch game collabs you'd want to see? I'd love an Astral Chain DLC with an Officer Howard armor for the hunter + Legion armor for the Palamute. Or how about the relics from 3H as weapons? We already had a Fire Emblem crossover in generations after all.
They could take it a step further with Three Houses and actually have Demonic Beast fights. And as unlikely it would be, I'm sure many would like to see a Zacian costume.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
They could take it a step further with Three Houses and actually have Demonic Beast fights. And as unlikely it would be, I'm sure many would like to see a Zacian costume.
Oh, I didn't even think of that. Wasn't the biggest fan of those crossover fights in World but those could definitely happen.
Remember how you fought Yian Garuga as a stand-in for Ridley during the Metroid DLC quest? Well now you're gonna fight the REAL Ridley!

Mr. MR

Smash Apprentice
Oh, I didn't even think of that. Wasn't the biggest fan of those crossover fights in World but those could definitely happen.
Remember how you fought Yian Garuga as a stand-in for Ridley during the Metroid DLC quest? Well now you're gonna fight the REAL Ridley!
Hell's bells (I began reading Dresden Files) that would be awesome!
And with Prime 4 on the way I can see it happen too...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
All well and good, they would need find ways to convey his intelligence, perhaps by blasting traps if he sees you plant them, or using the environment in his pin attacks. And Meta Ridley would be an easy hard version of the quest.

What if they did something like the Witcher collaboration, but with Link & Breath Of The Wild? The boss would be a special Lynel; those fights always felt Monster Hunter-y to me (heck you can actually "mount" them in the game).

Mr. MR

Smash Apprentice
What if they did something like the Witcher collaboration, but with Link & Breath Of The Wild? The boss would be a special Lynel; those fights always felt Monster Hunter-y to me (heck you can actually "mount" them in the game).
That's true. The Lynel did feel MonHuny and I think would fit well though the fact that hes using weapons makes it a little bit weird. If it happens I can see us get a thunder bow and a SnS designed around the ones in game.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
That's true. The Lynel did feel MonHuny and I think would fit well though the fact that hes using weapons makes it a little bit weird. If it happens I can see us get a thunder bow and a SnS designed around the ones in game.
To be fair, a freaky plant demon and a dude from another dimension with magic spells isn't very Monster Hunter-y either.

Mr. MR

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, a freaky plant demon and a dude from another dimension with magic spells isn't very Monster Hunter-y either.
If Leshen pulled out a knife and and started to carve me, it would still be Monster Hunter-y except I'm the monster and Leshen is the hunter lol.
In all seriousness, I think there's a difference between partnering up with magic man Geralt and fighting a primeval monster and a monster that uses our own weapons to kill us.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
If Leshen pulled out a knife and and started to carve me, it would still be Monster Hunter-y except I'm the monster and Leshen is the hunter lol.
In all seriousness, I think there's a difference between partnering up with magic man Geralt and fighting a primeval monster and a monster that uses our own weapons to kill us.
Yeah, it's kind of an opposite situation. Still, crossover monsters like Behemoth and the Leshen are generally allowed to bend the rules.

Mr. MR

Smash Apprentice
If the Hunter had to use only one weapon in a moveset, I'd pick the charge blade. It'd be different enough from other weapon heavy fighters while still representing what makes Monster Hunter unique.
Charge Blade is a good pick for a single weapon Hunter.
  • A weapon unique to MonHun
  • An interesting mechanic (transforming weapon and vial charges)
  • SAED
  • Fidgetspinner on a stick

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I made a little image of what armors I'd like to see as skins in Smash.
MHSmashSkins.jpg
As always: Avater characters get a 50/50 split between male and female so both genders get represented. Goal was to have a huge variety of colors while also including designs and flagships from most generations.

Armors used:
M Rathalos
F Azure Rathalos
M Rathian
F Zinogre
M EX Gore Magala
F Seregios
M Nargacuga
F Relic Kirin

Some thoughts on why I picked what:
Rathalos as the base should be obvious - he's the mascot of the series and has the most recognizable armor of them all. It's even been in Smash already through Mii costumes. I gave Azure Rathalos to the female hunter simply because I didn't want two red armors. Rathian I gave to the male hunter because the female's most iconic design has this princess motiv with a giant dress as the waist part. This already looks awkward in the Monster Hunter games so I can't see this working in Smash at all. Zinogre is another no-brainer. Flagship of the most successful MH game in Japan even to this day and generally one of the most popular monsters ever. This needs to be in. For Gore I picked the EX design specifically for two reasons: 1. Every other Gore set has some sort of cape attached to it. Looks cool but would probably cause animation issues. 2. I wanted to have at least one male armor that does not cover the guy's face. As for Seregios: MH4U is when things started to get really crazy for the series in the west and there aren't that many popular yellow/orange armor sets. They might have to shorten the coat a little bit because again - animation issues. I also really love the design of this one. Narga is another obvious choice, can't see that not being in. And lastly: Kirin. Not a flagship but come on, this is the most popular armor in the entire series, even more so than Rathalos'. I chose the relic version because the classic one doesn't have pants which I imagine wouldn't sit well with CERO.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Charge Blade may be unique, but it doesn't really have the iconic value of older weapons like the Great Sword. MvC Infinite is an obvious counterpoint to the idea they would stick with one weapon only, and Min Min also introduces the idea of mid-battle weapon switching. You also have to consider how the weapons chain attacks; it would be near impossible for the Charge Blade axe mode's heavy attacks to lead to discharges when their heavy attacks always knock enemies away.

As always: Avater characters get a 50/50 split between male and female so both genders get represented. Goal was to have a huge variety of colors while also including designs and flagships from most generations.

Armors used:
M Rathalos
F Azure Rathalos
M Rathian
F Zinogre
M EX Gore Magala
F Seregios
M Nargacuga
F Relic Kirin

Rathalos as the base should be obvious - he's the mascot of the series and has the most recognizable armor of them all. It's even been in Smash already through Mii costumes. I gave Azure Rathalos to the female hunter simply because I didn't want two red armors. Rathian I gave to the male hunter because the female's most iconic design has this princess motiv with a giant dress as the waist part. This already looks awkward in the Monster Hunter games so I can't see this working in Smash at all. Zinogre is another no-brainer. Flagship of the most successful MH game in Japan even to this day and generally one of the most popular monsters ever. This needs to be in. For Gore I picked the EX design specifically for two reasons: 1. Every other Gore set has some sort of cape attached to it. Looks cool but would probably cause animation issues. 2. I wanted to have at least one male armor that does not cover the guy's face. As for Seregios: MH4U is when things started to get really crazy for the series in the west and there aren't that many popular yellow/orange armor sets. They might have to shorten the coat a little bit because again - animation issues. I also really love the design of this one. Narga is another obvious choice, can't see that not being in. And lastly: Kirin. Not a flagship but come on, this is the most popular armor in the entire series, even more so than Rathalos'. I chose the relic version because the classic one doesn't have pants which I imagine wouldn't sit well with CERO.
Most of the Fire Emblem characters have long capes or flowing articles of clothing and they work fine, not to mention Palutena's long flowing hair.

I'd replace Azure Rath with female Glavenus (mostly because I want to pretend to be the lady in Gen's intros), Gore with Diablos (he is nearly as much of mainstay as the Raths and his gear iconic for Great Sword synergy) and I expect something from World in lieu of Seregios, either Nergigante or Velkhana.

On another note, it seems recent developments have caused a surge of interest for Stories: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...the_best-selling_3ds_game_on_amazon_right_now

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Most of the Fire Emblem characters have long capes or flowing articles of clothing and they work fine, not to mention Palutena's long flowing hair.

I'd replace Azure Rath with female Glavenus (mostly because I want to pretend to be the lady in Gen's intros), Gore with Diablos (he is nearly as much of mainstay as the Raths and his gear iconic for Great Sword synergy) and I expect something from World in lieu of Seregios, either Nergigante or Velkhana.
Oh, I don't think capes themselves are an issue. It's just that since skins all have to work with the same animations using a model that's too different from the base could result in a really ugly mess.
Also I initially wanted to have at least one Gen 5 armor but Nargacuga already took Nerg's spot for black and Velkhana looks way too fancy, I just don't see it. Maybe we could get Magnamalo if Nintendo has early access to MHR lol

Mr. MR

Smash Apprentice

Armors used:
M Rathalos
F Azure Rathalos
M Rathian
F Zinogre
M EX Gore Magala
F Seregios
M Nargacuga
F Relic Kirin

I like how you made Azure Rathalos the first option for the female so both genders can have rathalos while still having them represent different colors.
As much as I like female Rathian armor, I think your right that the giant plate metal dress would be too much of a model difference.

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I may or may not have said this before, and I know a version of the song is already in Smash, but you know we GOTTA have a Smash remix of Proof of a Hero if we’re gonna have Monster Hunter for Smash! After all, it IS the Main Theme of the Monster Hunter franchise.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Here, a gift: My fantasy reveal trailer

>Dun, click, swish
Trailer opens to a first person POV of someone running through the woods
They're following the sound of a distant battle
The camera slides into some bushes, and two hands part the leaves to show us what's going on
Bowser and Ridley are in a clearing and fighting one another
Camera swings around to show us the fight and the two are just beating the hell out of one another
Eventually Ridley blows Bowser sky high and he's gone in a twinkle
Ridley roars in triumph
Suddenly a rock strikes Ridley in the back of the head
He snaps around and lunges at the bushes
He ends up diving into some barrels that explode!
Ridley is blown back as the onlooker finally reveals themselves, stepping out with a gigantic sword on their back
MONSTER HUNTER CARVES INTO THE FRAY!

The Hunter is a heavy-weight akin to Ganondorf with a variety of weapons for each move: Dual Blades for titls and dash attack, Greatsword for Smash attacks, Glaive for aerial attacks, Bow for neutral B, Wirebug for recovery, ect. The gimmick is an inventory akin to Hero's menu, but only replenishes upon a lost stock.

The Final Smash is Invasive Species: The Hunter does a wide swing with the Greatsword and if an opponent is truck, they're dropped into a forest where the Hunter and Palico run past them in fear as a Deviljho chases after them and breaths its breath all over the opponent before slamming them back into the stage.

Post Gameplay Segment: Bowser stomps back into the clearing for a rematch only to see Ridley fast asleep in a trap. The Hunter and Bowser lock eyes, and the Hunter briefly imagines what armor made of Bowsers shell would look like. The Hunter then comically chases Bowser into the distance with the Palico trailing behind them.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
So they revealed at Tokyo Game Show that you can adjust how much the Hunter talks in-game, so if you didn't like the constant chatter in the trailer you can go back to grunts and yells, lol. If they get in Smash I'd much rather them be a Link-type character vocally than a talker.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
There have been a couple of interviews with Ryozo, Tsujimoto and Ichinose regarding MHR. Some things to note:
-Event Quests are going to be permanent again
-Online and Offline will have split campaigns again like in the old games
-all 14 weapons return, no prowler, no new weapon class, all of them are going to have Wirebug moves
They also confirmed that the game has been in the works since they wrapped up MHXX, so for over 3 years!

Edit: We've also gotten concept art for Aknosom:
sfvlword2gr51.jpg
I can't put into words how much I adore this guy's design. Such a creative interpretation of the Kasa-obake youkai. Here is it in action:

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
There have been a couple of interviews with Ryozo, Tsujimoto and Ichinose regarding MHR. Some things to note:
-Event Quests are going to be permanent again
-Online and Offline will have split campaigns again like in the old games
-all 14 weapons return, no prowler, no new weapon class, all of them are going to have Wirebug moves
They also confirmed that the game has been in the works since they wrapped up MHXX, so for over 3 years!

Edit: We've also gotten concept art for Aknosom: I can't put into words how much I adore this guy's design. Such a creative interpretation of the Kasa-obake youkai. Here is it in action:
Kogasa's looking kinda funky today. Can't put my finger on it, but something's off about her.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
So, something that might be in the Hunter's favor

To give you the short version: A previous theory involving a discrepancy in the voice test slots correctly predicted we would get a male/female alt fighter in the first pass (Byleth) and that same discrepancy has appeared for Pass 2 as of the new update

Monster Hunter fits that role like a glove, their mii costume is STILL missing, and someone pointed this out in the comments of that video: We have three Monster Hunter amiibo coming for Rise, yet none are of the hunter themselves... which could be theoretically be being saved for the Smash series amiibo line

Top Bottom