• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A new quest beckons: Monster Hunter for Smash!

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Tfw some gacha game gets Fatalis before Monster Hunter World does. Also nice to at least hear that they used Rathalos' old roar because good lord was it butchered in World lol.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Tfw some gacha game gets Fatalis before Monster Hunter World does. Also nice to at least hear that they used Rathalos' old roar because good lord was it butchered in World lol.
Give Safi'Jiiva a chance, man. Also Fatalis's schtick is inhabiting old castles or military outposts, of which there are not many in the New World.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Give Safi'Jiiva a chance, man. Also Fatalis's schtick is inhabiting old castles or military outposts, of which there are not many in the New World.
I already long since got all the Safi gear I was after. It's a good fight and handles the reward system a trillion times better than Kulve and if they ever bring Kulve back for master rank they need to give her the same treatment.

It's just a shame that Safi weapons will outclass everything we get from here on out. Hoping layered weapons become a thing because holy **** those new guild palace weapons had to be where all the weapon design budget went lol.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Well according to a leak that predicted a few of the DLC monsters so far in IC,
Fatalis and Alatreon are coming as DLC
. Take with a grain of salt, of course.

I'm really enjoying Iceborne, a lot more than World. I was one of those people who was really so-so on World and didn't think it was the best MH game ever, my play hours were a lot lower than MH4U and GU. Iceborne is what I was looking for.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Alatreon was supposed to be in World originally, along with Oroshi Kirin. I guess they got scrapped in favor of the Final Fantasy and Witcher crossovers. We're supposed to be getting 2 monster variants added in March and I'm like 90% sure one of them will be Rusted Kushala.

Fatalis I can't see it being anything else but the final update. I feel like we'll get it eventually. It has a brand new World quality model now for a reason.

Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I still haven't finished Iceborne's main campaign yet, but I'm looking forward to whatever monster they're adding next. I'd love Gore, Seregios or Lagiacrus (although I think he was deconfirmed by the devs :/) Who would you guys want added?

If MH does get in I don't think it'll have any IB related content which is a shame. I like the costume armor you get as the default. My Hunter's looking snazzy.
SAS.jpg

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I still haven't finished Iceborne's main campaign yet, but I'm looking forward to whatever monster they're adding next. I'd love Gore, Seregios or Lagiacrus (although I think he was deconfirmed by the devs :/) Who would you guys want added?

If MH does get in I don't think it'll have any IB related content which is a shame. I like the costume armor you get as the default. My Hunter's looking snazzy.
View attachment 266120
I'm putting all my money on Seregios. He fits in very well with the lore and they could easily base his model off of Bazel. While I'm not a fan of his fight, I can't deny how amazing the gear is.
Also if we get any IB content in Smash, I hope it's this song:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I had hope for Hunter... until Byleth stole what would likely be his gimmick of having multiple weapons.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I had hope for Hunter... until Byleth stole what would likely be his gimmick of having multiple weapons.
Not really. Not only is there the case of Terry as someone has mentioned above, but there's quite a few people who have different weapons. Villager and Isbaelle use a ton of different stuff, as do all the Link's, Robin etc.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm putting all my money on Seregios. He fits in very well with the lore and they could easily base his model off of Bazel. While I'm not a fan of his fight, I can't deny how amazing the gear is.
Also if we get any IB content in Smash, I hope it's this song:

Alatreon will be taking all of your money now.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Final Dev Diary is here:

And with that MHWORLD/IB is officially done with new content after October, although they still have some event re-runs. As someone who didn't care much for World but loves Iceborne, I hope they draw more from their next World sequel from the latter.

Of course, many of us are also hoping that a new MH game will come to the Switch or arrive in Smash, best case scenario being both :)

Rikarte

Smash Ace
That trailer was AMAZING., especially the little recap at the end. I'm so glad we have devs as amazing as the MH-Team. Really looking forward to this update!

zumaddy

Smash Ace
MHW sure is missing a lot of the cool monstes from Gen
MHWorld seemed to not like the more colourful/overly creative designs from the past. Most monsters are really de-saturated (I didn't even recognize Rathian first time I saw her in game). Luckily there's some cool additions in Iceborne

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
MHWorld seemed to not like the more colourful/overly creative designs from the past. Most monsters are really de-saturated (I didn't even recognize Rathian first time I saw her in game). Luckily there's some cool additions in Iceborne
its a shame you didn't get to see the majesty of Malfestio, Astalos , Lagiacrus, Valstrax or Mizutsune (at least you got his armor), Congalala,Gammoth or Kecha Wacha. the list could go on

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
its a shame you didn't get to see the majesty of Malfestio, Astalos , Lagiacrus, Valstrax or Mizutsune (at least you got his armor), Congalala,Gammoth or Kecha Wacha. the list could go on
Well, Tri only has three returning monsters and I don't hear much grumbling about that, though I suppose you can argue it's when things started getting more vibrant. 4 had more, but they also felt strategically picked with Nintendo and Western fans in mind (ie those who haven't played games earlier than third gen).
Now that everyone's had a chance to experience them, games like Generations are going to be the exception rather than the norm. Don't expect lots of returning monsters moving forward, especially for base versions.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Hmmm....

Dusk Golem who has a great leak track record with Capcom says MH Switch is going to be announced soon
ResetERA user Shinobi with a pretty good track record says it might even be revealed before Tokyo Game Show
Nintendo announces first livestreamed Partner Direct

I want to believe... I don't want to get my hopes up, but I want to believe...

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Heck yeah, that MH Stories Switch port they're gonna announce tomorrow will be so sick! :ultpacman:
There was another rumour floating around that its MHStories 2... that would create a salt waterfall (Stories was OK but didn't finish it)

Rikarte

Smash Ace
There was another rumour floating around that its MHStories 2... that would create a salt waterfall (Stories was OK but didn't finish it)
I didn't know about this rumour but that's a fear I had regardless. Didn't play Stories but heard it was pretty good... still, PLEASE give a real MH game for Switch - this would be the first time since Tri that we'd get a new main game for a Nintendo console. (not counting 3DS ports)

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Monster Hunter Rise, Stories 2 AND a MH Direct right afterwards?!?
What a beautiful day to be a hunter :')

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I support!

I am a Monster Hunter fan and I cannot believe that I haven't even posted on here yet. Now admittedly, I have been getting tired of Monster Hunter recently, but after the announcement of MH Rise, I am hyped for it. The new whip mechanic changes so much and the gameplay looks more smooth and free. I might pick up Stories 2 though I haven't played the original.

I guess I will share a bit of my history with Monster Hunter. In high school, a good friend of mine (who is now one of my best friends) introduced me to the Monster Hunter 4 and Generations demos on 3DS. I enjoyed the gameplay, thought that the games looked appealing visuals-wise, and the weapons looked cool. So then I got Generations and at first I had no clue what I was doing and was stuck on the Great Maccao. So the same friend who introduced me to the demos, who has been a Monster Hunter fan for a few years at that time, taught me the basics and guided me throughout a lot of the game. Eventually I got really good at the game and I have so many memories with it. My proudest achievement was being able to beat a high rank hyper Plesioth by myself (Keep in mind, this is the 3DS version, so no G rank equipment was used). To this day, I have Generations Ultimate and me and that same friend still play online together every week. And yes, we will do the same with Rise.

Right now, Nintendo and Capcom seem to be really pushing Monster Hunter which is great. Monster Hunter's chances are looking better than ever and I'm excited about that. I would love to see Monster Hunter be in Smash. There is a ton of moveset potential, the music is great, there are plenty of cool locations to use for a stage, the options for alternate costumes are outstanding and numerous, and there is plenty of monsters and characters to use for spirits.

Overall, it's a great time to be a Monster Hunter fan.

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
Doubt it, MHRs combat is still gonna be on foot. Doggos are just there for support + transportation.
Maybe a team up of sorts for some of the specials and smash attacks? Maybe for running and then he dismonts when fighting?

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Looking at the stickers I'm a little afraid we'll only get around 9 new monsters. Would be a somewhat disappointed by that.
On the website they say that a lot of old favorites will return this game which I'm not the biggest fan of. Would rather have something new instead of fighting Tigrex again for the millionth time.
Maybe a team up of sorts for some of the specials and smash attacks? Maybe for running and then he dismonts when fighting?
Tbh I don't think the Hunter would have any moves from rise given how recent it is.

Last edited:

Mr. MR

Smash Apprentice
I support Monster Hunter in Smash as well!

Tbh I don't think the Hunter would have any moves from rise given how recent it is.
It depends on when Sakurai starts development on a character. Though I find it reasonably possible that Capcom told Nintendo about this game before fighter pass 2 was announced.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm tentatively pledging my support. Rise looks like a good jumping-on point, and the new mobility options look pretty fun. Still, I'm kinda worried that I'll be pretty bad at the game...

Ah well. Monster Hunter in Smash could DORIYAH someone from halfway across the stage, throttle their pathetic attempt at recovery, and deal 30% all in one blow. That sounds fun enough for me.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'm tentatively pledging my support. Rise looks like a good jumping-on point, and the new mobility options look pretty fun. Still, I'm kinda worried that I'll be pretty bad at the game...

Ah well. Monster Hunter in Smash could DORIYAH someone from halfway across the stage, throttle their pathetic attempt at recovery, and deal 30% all in one blow. That sounds fun enough for me.
No worries dude, everyone starts off bad and improves over time. I played like ass with the charge blade until my friend told me about the combo potentials with the blade and mastered it's full potential.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Looking at the stickers I'm a little afraid we'll only get around 9 new monsters. Would be a somewhat disappointed by that.
On the website they say that a lot of old favorites will return this game which I'm not the biggest fan of. Would rather have something new instead of fighting Tigrex again for the millionth time.

Look at it this way, lots of Switch owners haven't experienced World or Iceborne monsters, and if a good chunk of returners are from those then it will help make up for a small number of true newcomers.

And it'll be fun to guess what those will be. Given the Eastern flavor, I'm going with Nargacuga, Zinogre, Mizutsune, Seltas & Queen, Odogaron, Kirin, Rajang, Amatsu and Yama Tsunami, to name a few.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Look at it this way, lots of Switch owners haven't experienced World or Iceborne monsters, and if a good chunk of returners are from those then it will help make up for a small number of true newcomers.

And it'll be fun to guess what those will be. Given the Eastern flavor, I'm going with Nargacuga, Zinogre, Mizutsune, Seltas & Queen, Odogaron, Kirin, Rajang, Amatsu and Yama Tsunami, to name a few.
I mean, Generations Ultimate is on Switch and that game has almost every monster from generations 1-4 returning. I'd LOVE to see Yama return though - given all the new movement options this could be one hell of a sick fight.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

That's the way I'm looking at it. I'm just hopping on now, so I'm fine with a bunch of (not-so) familiar faces.
The top monster I want to see in Rise is Nergigante. I want Nergi so badly.
As cool as that would be, I feel like Nergigante would be confined to World unless it turns out Rise is also on the New World. It's the face of World, and more importantly, it only tackled threats to the environment when they were on the New World; It didn't llift a finger against creatures like the Fatalis or the Fire Miralis, since they're Old World monsters. Nergigante's probably going to be kept a New World monster.

Top Bottom