• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A new quest beckons: Monster Hunter for Smash!

LuffyLink

Smash Apprentice
My number one most wanted, there's just so much potential for a great moveset, as well as a wide variety of awesome MH music to choose from for the stage. I always thought they were a bit unlikely, and I still think so. But Rathalos' appearance as a boss, and Joker's inclusion makes me much more hopeful. I'm already satisfied with Joker, but Monster Hunter would be a massive plus !

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
Honestly, the presence of Rathalos is a HUGE push for Monster Hunter to be a character. I think its the closest thing we have to a "lock" right now. Despite everyone else being overly optimistic about their other characters being 'locks' lmao

+ Nintendo History. I personally own MH3, MH3U, and MH4.
+ MHWorld was one of the best-selling games on the PS4 with 4 million copies sold.
+ The series has a 'future' - as sakurai said characters from series with no future are rarely included.
+ Rathalos inclusion???????? Its the most random a fuqq boss to add.... All other bosses have respective characters in the roster.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Honestly, the presence of Rathalos is a HUGE push for Monster Hunter to be a character. I think its the closest thing we have to a "lock" right now. Despite everyone else being overly optimistic about their other characters being 'locks' lmao

+ Nintendo History. I personally own MH3, MH3U, and MH4.
+ MHWorld was one of the best-selling games on the PS4 with 4 million copies sold.
+ The series has a 'future' - as sakurai said characters from series with no future are rarely included.
+ Rathalos inclusion???????? Its the most random a fuqq boss to add.... All other bosses have respective characters in the roster.
I've said it before but I think the reason we got Rathalos as a boss in base game and not MH is because they wanted to get that DLC money for him instead of letting Sakurai have him for base game but didn't want to lose out of Rathalos getting in since the DLC fighters aren't getting bosses or ATs.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I've said it before but I think the reason we got Rathalos as a boss in base game and not MH is because they wanted to get that DLC money for him instead of letting Sakurai have him for base game but didn't want to lose out of Rathalos getting in since the DLC fighters aren't getting bosses or ATs.
Who's ''they''? Nintendo or Capcom?

Personally I'm almost more excited for the potential spirits the hunter would bring. I think each DLC fighter will trigger a spirit board event for their series, and there's a huge pool of monsters to pull from. Heck, the 4th generation games have essentially been doing spirit battles with their monsters before spirit battles were even a thing.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace

Personally I'm almost more excited for the potential spirits the hunter would bring. I think each DLC fighter will trigger a spirit board event for their series, and there's a huge pool of monsters to pull from. Heck, the 4th generation games have essentially been doing spirit battles with their monsters before spirit battles were even a thing.
They in this case would be Capcom.

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC

Personally I'm almost more excited for the potential spirits the hunter would bring..
I can forsee a Shaka/Chacha battle being made of tiny squirtles where they get periodically healed. You get periodically poisoned, and they have deku nuts over the field to emulate flash bombs~

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So I got Generations Ulitmate. The beginning quests are a bit boring... where do I deliver the Quest Pass in each of the areas? Cause I can’t be bothered with 50 minutes of waiting till the end of the quest.

Also where do I get the bbq?

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So I got Generations Ulitmate. The beginning quests are a bit boring... where do I deliver the Quest Pass in each of the areas? Cause I can’t be bothered with 50 minutes of waiting till the end of the quest.

Also where do I get the bbq?
The red box at camp is what you use to deliver any items a quest asks for, and you should be able to buy a BBQ spit at any item shop in a village.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The red box at camp is what you use to deliver any items a quest asks for, and you should be able to buy a BBQ spit at any item shop in a village.
So all early quests can be completed within seconds? That’s not much of a challenge...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So all early quests can be completed within seconds? That’s not much of a challenge...
Would you prefer being forced to wait 2 minutes for the pass to arrive? Because that's what the older games did.

The early quests aren't there to challenge you, they're meant to familiarize yourself with the various hunting grounds or provide stress-free environments to gather resources in.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
So if Monster Hunter gets in with different Armor sets as the different costumes, what would be the 8 armor sets they would use?

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
-Rathalos
-Rathian
-Zinogre
-Lagiacrus
-Gore Magala
-Brachidios
-Nargacuga
-Gammoth or Mizutsune or Glavenus or Astalos

Pretty much all flagship monsters. Maybe Nergigante even if World is not on the Switch.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
-Rathalos
-Rathian
-Zinogre
-Lagiacrus
-Gore Magala
-Brachidios
-Nargacuga
-Gammoth or Mizutsune or Glavenus or Astalos

Pretty much all flagship monsters. Maybe Nergigante even if World is not on the Switch.
Do consider that sometimes gear is more famous than the monster it comes from. Remember that Kirin armour was one of the choices in MvC Infinite.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
You're doing the Harvest Tours, I guess? Those aren't meant to be a challenge but an oppurtunity to roam arround and gather stuff without an objective to worry about. (They are completely optional too)

As for the armors, I can see:
Rathalos (m)
Rathalos (f)
Azure Rathalos (m)
Azure Rathalos (f)
Lagiacrus (m)
Lagiacrus (f)
Ivory Lagiacrus (m)
Ivory Lagiacrus (f)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You're doing the Harvest Tours, I guess? Those aren't meant to be a challenge but an oppurtunity to roam arround and gather stuff without an objective to worry about. (They are completely optional too)

As for the armors, I can see:
Rathalos (m)
Rathalos (f)
Azure Rathalos (m)
Azure Rathalos (f)
Lagiacrus (m)
Lagiacrus (f)
Ivory Lagiacrus (m)
Ivory Lagiacrus (f)
I know Lagiacrus is the "first" flagship for Nintendo consoles, but his gear is far from being popular and as such I don't really see them adding it.

This is my best guess based on trends:

Rathalos (m)
Rathian (f)
Diablos (m)
Kirin (f)
Tigrex (m)
Nargacuga (f)
Zinogre (m)
Glavenus (f)

Honourable mentions go to the Hunter set for being a Mii costume in Smash 4, and World favourites Nergigante (m) and Lunastra (f).

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I know Lagiacrus is the "first" flagship for Nintendo consoles, but his gear is far from being popular and as such I don't really see them adding it.
Oh, my bad. I thought the Lagiacrus armor was one of the DLC Mii costumes so it made sense to me.

Fakol

Smash Cadet
With a boss in the game, a character playable is very probable in dlc i think.

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
Awesome OP! Love the quest description. I absolutely support Monster Hunter for Smash, one of my top favorites. I think they're definitely a sleeper pick for DLC.

Y'all brought up armor lists and I'm wondering about that too...What could we say is the most likely armor list they would use for alts? Is it more likely they will keep male and female the same or differentiate them? My opinion is that it would be the same for male and female, but who knows.

Keeping it simple for now, let's assume they're only looking at flagship monsters. If they went that route what do you guys think would be most accurate? What armor sets would they choose?

Since Rathalos male + female seems to be 100% a lock, what would the other 6 be?

Here's my stab at it:
Male and female Rathalos armor(obvious)

male and female Lagicarus armor(MH3)

male and female Nargacuga(MHFU)

male and female Nergigante armor(MHW)

I can respond later with what I think would be the actual best armor list, but for now this is my flagship list.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Awesome OP! Love the quest description. I absolutely support Monster Hunter for Smash, one of my top favorites. I think they're definitely a sleeper pick for DLC.

Y'all brought up armor lists and I'm wondering about that too...What could we say is the most likely armor list they would use for alts? Is it more likely they will keep male and female the same or differentiate them? My opinion is that it would be the same for male and female, but who knows.

Keeping it simple for now, let's assume they're only looking at flagship monsters. If they went that route what do you guys think would be most accurate? What armor sets would they choose?

Since Rathalos male + female seems to be 100% a lock, what would the other 6 be?

Here's my stab at it:

I can respond later with what I think would be the actual best armor list, but for now this is my flagship list.
I'm still convinced Zinogre is the most popular 3rd gen flagship overall and is the set they'd pick for that.

As far as male/female goes... assuming they actually do give gender options, it would frankly be simpler and more fitting to use the different versions because the work is done already and the female sets are tailored to such physiology.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace

Here's my stab at it:

I think if they decide to do different armor for each costume I kinda hope the male and female costumes also use different armor, like Male Rathalos and Female Lagicarus for example. Then we would have 8 different costumes.

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
I'm still convinced Zinogre is the most popular 3rd gen flagship overall and is the set they'd pick for that.

As far as male/female goes... assuming they actually do give gender options, it would frankly be simpler and more fitting to use the different versions because the work is done already and the female sets are tailored to such physiology.
I did kinda forget about Zinogre but who would that replace Narg or Lagi?

I mean Corrin, Robin, WFT, and etc already made precendent for this type of stuff. I highly doubt they would put only male or female option. I think you might've misunderstood what I'm saying(unless I'm misunderstanding you). I don't mean male + female armors would look the same, but be the same armor set(Lagi, Rath, etc). I'm wondering what's more likely, the same type of armor set, or individualistic/differentiated ones (Male Rath, Female Rathian, etc).

Or are you saying they would differentiate male + female and specifically choose different armor sets for them?

I think if they decide to do different armor for each costume I kinda hope the male and female costumes also use different armor, like Male Rathalos and Female Lagicarus for example. Then we would have 8 different costumes.
This is what I would prefer and would be the best way to represent the series. Hand-pick iconic armors specifically for female and male respectively from different monsters. It shows the central aspect of MH, the vast armors from many different monsters. What armors would you pick if they decided to go this route?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I did kinda forget about Zinogre but who would that replace Narg or Lagi?

I mean Corrin, Robin, WFT, and etc already made precendent for this type of stuff. I highly doubt they would put only male or female option. I think you might've misunderstood what I'm saying(unless I'm misunderstanding you). I don't mean male + female armors would look the same, but be the same armor set(Lagi, Rath, etc). I'm wondering what's more likely, the same type of armor set, or individualistic/differentiated ones (Male Rath, Female Rathian, etc).

Or are you saying they would differentiate male + female and specifically choose different armor sets for them?

This is what I would prefer and would be the best way to represent the series. Hand-pick iconic armors specifically for female and male respectively from different monsters. It shows the central aspect of MH, the vast armors from many different monsters. What armors would you pick if they decided to go this route?
Nargacuga is a 2nd gen monster if you weren't aware. The flagship of the definitive entry (Freedom Unite) of that era, and even besides that, is extremely popular everywhere along with it's gear... it may have even been teased for World's Iceborne expansion. No way they won't include it's set for any reason.

Lagiacrus is relatively popular among Nintendo Monster Hunter fans, but his gear hasn't really lit the world on fire. Zinogre on the other hand is, again, popular no matter where you look, due to getting exposure on multiple fronts via the PSP Portable 3rd and 3 Ultimate.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Honestly I'm still a bit of a noob to the series so I have no idea lol but I think all the Monster Hunter armors are so cool, its one of the things that made me want to play the game so I just hope we would get a bunch of options for costumes.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So Piranha Plant gets a classic mode based around newcomers. And his boss is Rathalos. Hmmmmmmmmmm...

What gets me here is that two other bosses could have equally fit the ''newcomer'' angle, Dracula and Marx. That plus all the ''brave'' talk in the datamine...

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
How do you guys feel about a hunter chance? I'm very confidant. Imo he/she is the more likely Capcom rep for DLC.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
How do you guys feel about a hunter chance? I'm very confidant. Imo he/she is the more likely Capcom rep for DLC.
Undoubtedly. With the impending release of Iceborne in the fall of this year, a proper showcase of that and a reveal at E3 look pretty likely, and the release dates could coincide.

lexgamer

Smash Rookie
If armor skins were up to me? I'd have Rathalos, Nergigante, Deviljho, and Barioth armor for the male, then just whatever else for the 4 female skins.

Palico would be a huge disappointment for me, like adding Tails instead of Sonic, or Tifa instead of Cloud, etc.

For move sets there are many, many perfect ideas, a few that spring to mind, or any combination here of:
Great Sword - (Staple weapon of the franchise)
Tap B while shielding like Inkling to kick
Tap B while charging side smash to cancel into shoulder tackle.
Sword is sheathed unless attacking, not really gameplay impacting, just flavorful
Normals are various sword swings, hits reduce a sharpeness gauge, weakening further attacks (in the red will bounce of shields)
B sharpens the sword
Down B sets a Barrell bomb
Side B whips a flash pod down in front of him, stunning near enemies
Up B slinger grappling hook, ala Joker/World, or perhaps a drake swoops in and carries you up
Set a bomb, stun an enemy near it, charge a smash, hit enemy/barrel for tons of damage while being out of range yourself due to the blade size

Switch Axe - (Weapon more unique to the franchise)
Sword mode slows movement, but has harder hitting attacks, consumes meter
Axe mode is default and has more range, builds meter
Moveset updates depending on form
B changes weapon form, tap during specials/combos where appropriate, just like in MH
Up B that upward sword/axe swing that usually pulls your hunter off the ground a little, only in this case, off the ground much more, lol
Side B then mash B to do the continuous axe chop, or elemental discharge in sword mode consuming all meter and reverting to axe
Down B plant a pitfall trap

Weapon Mix - (More of a MvCI game plan with multiple weapons, perhaps not all/just a few, but still cool)
B bow or bowgun shot, potion drink that heals a little complete with long animation and muscle flex
Up B insect glaive vault
Side B duel blade flurry, or lance dash
Down B hammer slam, or hunting horn song buff

etc, etc, etc :) I could go on with ideas forever.

Chunkz

Smash Rookie
Games I play often-
1. Smash
2. Monster Hunter

I don't care if it's palico, a MH rep would make me lose it.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I hope if we get the Hunter. Misty Peaks Battle theme will be part of the pack.
It will most likely depend on what hunting grounds are used as a stage (and which flagships show up, spirit or otherwise). I see the stage being a tour on an airship dropping off the fighters in those places.

Regarding the Misty Peaks specifically, the hanging log bridge would make a good omega version.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
The moveset idea I'd had was pretty Greatsword-centric. Pretty much focused on range, power, and super armor over being the most agile thing out there. As for armor sets: alternating between male and female, it'd be Rathalos, Tigrex, Zinogre, and Gore Magala armor and weapons.

>Neutral special: Ground Slash would be a mid-range projectile that travels about half the length of FD, being more powerful and a multi-hit up close
>Side special: Lion's Maw would instead be a quick lunging slash that raises the power of the next attack by 30%
>Down special: Brimstone Slash I'm thinking would be like Flare Blade, being a powerful charging slash that you could switch directions while charging nd release at any time-- but would sacrifice the potential one-shot power for instead having super armor during charging and becoming more powerful if hit during the animation
>Up special: Moonbreaker would travel a decent distance and have a hitbox basically surround you during the animation, but not do much damage if used mid-air, instead being more powerful if used from the ground (getting hit by the blade itself would have a meteor effect either way)

>Jab: a kick into a pommel slap
>Side tilt: quick slap with the flat of the blade
>Up tilt: basically Cloud's but with a bit more reach
>Down tilt: a forward roll that can easily transition into other moves
>Dash attack: a spinning slash similar to the standard sideways sweeping slash, but quicker and obviously with horizontal momentum

>F-smash: it's the Great Sword charge slash we all know, with the sound effects for all their Smash attacks
>Up-smash: a stationary version of the charging run-in slash from Adept GS
>Down-smash: sets a Large Barrel Bomb on a timer that blows up if hit

>Neutral air: referencing Aerial style, it'd pretty much be f-smash-- could still be charged and would come out quicker but is also weaker
>Forward air: a wide slash that starts underneath and behind slightly before ending above and behind them
>Up air: basically Ike's with a bit more reach
>Back air: a heavy hitting turnaround slash
>Down air: a downwards plunging move deals multiple hits

Final Smash: blows a Hunting Horn Flute, creating a hitbox around them. Anyone hit by it will be immobilized, and then beat up on by 3 other Hunters before the player Hunter knocks them away with a flashy charged slash

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The moveset idea I'd had was pretty Greatsword-centric. Pretty much focused on range, power, and super armor over being the most agile thing out there. As for armor sets: alternating between male and female, it'd be Rathalos, Tigrex, Zinogre, and Gore Magala armor and weapons.

>Neutral special: Ground Slash would be a mid-range projectile that travels about half the length of FD, being more powerful and a multi-hit up close
>Side special: Lion's Maw would instead be a quick lunging slash that raises the power of the next attack by 30%
>Down special: Brimstone Slash I'm thinking would be like Flare Blade, being a powerful charging slash that you could switch directions while charging nd release at any time-- but would sacrifice the potential one-shot power for instead having super armor during charging and becoming more powerful if hit during the animation
>Up special: Moonbreaker would travel a decent distance and have a hitbox basically surround you during the animation, but not do much damage if used mid-air, instead being more powerful if used from the ground (getting hit by the blade itself would have a meteor effect either way)

>Jab: a kick into a pommel slap
>Side tilt: quick slap with the flat of the blade
>Up tilt: basically Cloud's but with a bit more reach
>Down tilt: a forward roll that can easily transition into other moves
>Dash attack: a spinning slash similar to the standard sideways sweeping slash, but quicker and obviously with horizontal momentum

>F-smash: it's the Great Sword charge slash we all know, with the sound effects for all their Smash attacks
>Up-smash: a stationary version of the charging run-in slash from Adept GS
>Down-smash: sets a Large Barrel Bomb on a timer that blows up if hit

>Neutral air: referencing Aerial style, it'd pretty much be f-smash-- could still be charged and would come out quicker but is also weaker
>Forward air: a wide slash that starts underneath and behind slightly before ending above and behind them
>Up air: basically Ike's with a bit more reach
>Back air: a heavy hitting turnaround slash
>Down air: a downwards plunging move deals multiple hits

Final Smash: blows a Hunting Horn Flute, creating a hitbox around them. Anyone hit by it will be immobilized, and then beat up on by 3 other Hunters before the player Hunter knocks them away with a flashy charged slash
Moonbreaker could be a charged, referencing the different levels taking longer to build up but going higher and being stronger.

But really, Great Sword alone just wouldn't work in Smash, too slow in movement, bad recovery with none of the burst options or flexibility offered by our current heavyweight fighters.

Avokha

A+B smash tech is my baby <3
NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
Is there a supporter list? If so add me please!

Monster hunters victory theme would so obviously be the quest clear theme from throughout the MH series, I want to hear it in smash so badly lol. Also, a victory screen animation in which the hunter is shown carving an unseen body (similar to one of ridley's win screens) would dark but also really hilarious to see lol

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Is there a supporter list? If so add me please!

Monster hunters victory theme would so obviously be the quest clear theme from throughout the MH series, I want to hear it in smash so badly lol. Also, a victory screen animation in which the hunter is shown carving an unseen body (similar to one of ridley's win screens) would dark but also really hilarious to see lol
The victory theme hasn't been consistent. Every generation (or at least since the third) has had their own theme alongside the recurring Mark Of A Hero, with former being used as a riff for each.

Other than sounding triumphant, they really aren't that similar.

The carve victory animation is a great idea though. In fact, why not make it ALL the animations, with the difference being the quality of the obtained item and the hunter's reaction to it? A lame/common item has him Rant gesture, a good item has him Nod, and a rare one like a ruby has him/her Fist Bump. On the flip side, should the hunter Clap like everyone else on a loss, or Lament to be authentic?

Avokha

NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
The victory theme hasn't been consistent. Every generation (or at least since the third) has had their own theme alongside the recurring Mark Of A Hero, with former being used as a riff for each.

Other than sounding triumphant, they really aren't that similar.

The carve victory animation is a great idea though. In fact, why not make it ALL the animations, with the difference being the quality of the obtained item and the hunter's reaction to it? A lame/common item has him Rant gesture, a good item has him Nod, and a rare one like a ruby has him/her Fist Bump. On the flip side, should the hunter Clap like everyone else on a loss, or Lament to be authentic?
The "Mark of a hero" leitmotif is what I was referring to lol. It would be absolutely perfect for smash, and should monster hunter make it in, I'd say it's a lock that it would be their victory jingle :)

As for defeats, I'd definitely prefer that lament. Maybe even have a little "quest failed" showing as a nice touch

Now that I think about it, I could see the series symbol being the hunters guild symbol. Though I suppose it could be a few other things too, but that feels the most likely to me

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The "Mark of a hero" leitmotif is what I was referring to lol. It would be absolutely perfect for smash, and should monster hunter make it in, I'd say it's a lock that it would be their victory jingle :)

As for defeats, I'd definitely prefer that lament. Maybe even have a little "quest failed" showing as a nice touch

Now that I think about it, I could see the series symbol being the hunters guild symbol. Though I suppose it could be a few other things too, but that feels the most likely to me
That theme is in a bit of a tricky spot since, well, it's in the game already. You hear it in Rathalos's map during World Of Light (called Forest Hills, see what they did there) and can set it as a song in any stage without a fighter representing it. All the other victory themes I posted just seem to fit much better, even down to the point of continuing to play after the initial jingle like Cloud's. Only question is which one to pick, which will likely depend on which games they'd choose to represent. Will it be 4 (Ultimate), the biggest gen associated with Nintendo platforms and has locations referenced in both Marvel Infinite (Val Habar) and Smash Ultimate (Ancestral Steppe is used as Rathalos's arena, and an updated version could be the stage like Dracula's Castle)? Or Generations (Ultimate), which references all aspects of Monster Hunter history? Or perhaps World, the best selling Monster Hunter of all time?

I don't know if there would be room for the quest clear/fail stamps on the results screen, especially with 8 players, but they could definitely work in those preset spirit battles (and there's a lot of potential there, even being conservative with just flagship monsters). And though it'd be unusual, it'd also be cool if a match ends in no contest, the hunter instead does the panting animation reserved for abandoned quests.

I suppose I should run a tally on the supporters we have now:

Altogether 35 supporters. Of course if I missed anyone or added you by mistake you can let me know. I'll also update the OP with this.

lexgamer

Smash Rookie
Spirit battle ideas:

Lagombi - King Dedede, blue skin, giant, ice covered stage, favors side special and dash attack
Dodogama - King K Rool, blue skin, giant
Kirin - Marth, White skin, Pichu x2
Anjanath - Bowser, red skin, giant
Nergigante - Bowser, black skin, giant, defense suddenly raises after a while, favors side special
Zinogre - Inciniroar, blue skin, giant, Pichu x2
Kushala Daora - Ridley, grey skin, giant, equipped with an ogre club
Odogaron - Wolf, red skin, giant, after a short while, you suddenly receive damage
Paolumu - Charizard, white skin, giant, Jigglypuff
Rajang - Donkey Kong, yellow skin, giant, is distracted by items

etc, it's so easy!

Avokha

NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
A few ideas I had for the moveset:

-jab: the kick, lol. It would be a singular hit jab like roy or chrom, and if used against characters inflicted with an immobilizing status ailment (frozen, paralyzed, asleep, etc.) It will deal only 1% and no knockback, useful for helping teammates out.
-forward smash: the greatsword charge slash. While there are already very similar smash attacks like it, it would be a real waste imo to not have the fsmash be this.
-grab: the slinger. This choice is dependent on what the developers decide will be monster hunters main source material, but I can easily see the slinger from World being used as a tether grab in smash, and as a Zair attack and tether recovery
-final smash: the true charge slash. Again, dependent on the source material chosen, but I can see this being used in a cutscene style final smash, 0maybe even complete with a 'part break' sound effect on the last hit to solidify the sheer power of the attack.

Last edited:

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
I have thought about monster hunter as a character in smash for some time, and being an avid fan of the MH series I’ve come up with a potential moveset for the Monster Hunter(s). Yes, like Mii fighters, there would be multiple monster hunters, each fitting a different niche within the meta. As for the weapons, they would be simple since this would be representative of MH as a series not new installments. The three weapon types would be Dual Blades, Great Sword, and Bow. A universal mechanic however would be that the hunter’s rolls don’t stale, but they have an invisible stamina bar, which after a few rolls will appear next to the hunter, depleted and red just like in the series. At this point, they are unable to roll.

Dual Blades

-Lightweight
-Mario run Speed when Demon mode not activated
-Demon mode is neutral Special, has super armor on first 12 frames, no hitbox
-Gradually drains stamina
-Becomes as fast as Captain Falcon when in demon mode
-Attacking the opponent when in demon mode gradually fills up demon gauge
-Archdemon mode is when the gauge fills, stamina no longer drains with the same benefits as demon mode
-Side Special is Spinning Slash, a six hit attack just like in game. It can only be used in Demon mode. Each hit deals base 2 damage, a total of 14.4% in 1v1. Always safe on shield.
-Down Special is Demon Dance, an 11 hit combo just like in game. Furthermore, just like in game, the final two blows are extremely powerful. Base 1 on the first 9 hits, base 3 on the last two. The last two hits have power comparable to Link- Forward Smash. Highly punishable on Whiff and shield, but has fast startup on frame 6. Can only be used in demon mode.
-Up Special looks like a simple jump that goes quite high. No hitbox, but doesn’t place the user in freefall. Compare with Sonic.
-Grabs are awful
-Directional Air Dodge results in Superman-Dive from MH series, places the user in free fall, but goes ridiculously far. Very punishable. This is the case with all other hunters.
-Frame 6 Jab, same as Pit, but when in demon mode kills 20% earlier.

Great Sword

Super Heavyweight, compare to DK
-Strongest forward smash in the game, when fully charged kills at 0 from anywhere on stage. Highly punishable, compare to Ganondorf
-Compare Aerials and grab game to Ike, but with worse frame data and more damage
-Neutral Special is unsheathe Attack, safe on shield, deals 10 base damage. Can only be used when weapon is sheathed. Press B to sheath and B to unsheathe Attack. Smash Attacks can unsheathe as well but are very punishable
-When unsheathed walks around very slowly like in game. Slowest character in the game, max dash speed at 1.00
-When sheathed is about as mobile as Corrin. Can still grab and perform forward tilt when sheathed
-Forward Tilt is kick which all hunters have, deals 1 damage and barely any shield damage but has very very low endlag. Absolutely safe on shield. Lower than Pikachu f-Tilt endlag. Frame 1. High base knockback, kills at ledge on middleweights around 110.
Down Special is block, blocks all projectiles and attacks which deal less than 20 1v1 damage. More powerful attacks and the hunter will fall backwards leaving them in an animation easy to punish. Stamina is lost just like in the game from blocking, and the more powerful the attack the more stamina lost.
-Same Up Special as DB, doesn’t go as High though. Compare to Richter in height, doesn’t place the user in freefall.
-Side Special is side slap, deals huge shield damage, not that high knockback though. Compare to DK side Special in shield damage. Easy to punish.

Bow

-Middleweight
-Neutral Special is arrow charge, has 3 levels. Level one is the damage of Pit’s uncharged arrow. Level 2 is the damage of Pit’s fully charged arrow. Level 3 is the damage and knockback of Dark Pit’s fully charged arrow. However, the user can move around while charging, but it uses stamina. All arrows fly at the speed of Dark Pit’s arrows.
-Side Special is Arc Shot. Shoots a bundle of arrows in the air. Similar to neutral Special with that it has levels of charge. Level one has knockback about equivalent to a Mario fire ball. Level two has knockback equivalent to a Mario Bair. Level three has knockback equivalent to a sweet spot Mario Forward smash.
-Up Special is the same as the other two but goes the highest out of all three. Think 1 training room cubit higher than DB.
-Down Special lets you choose between coatings, with a wheel like Shulk. Each coating lasts ten seconds. Power coatings let your arrows kill ~10% earlier. Close range coatings improve the frame data, damage, and combo potential of all your smash attacks, tilts, and aerials. Before, not a single smash attack could kill before 140% on a mid weight at the appropriate place. Blast coatings inflicts blast on aerials, tilts, smashes on aerials, which has a 5 second timer where if the opponent doesn’t shield it will explode. Knockback is horizontal and kills around 120% on middleweights. Poison coating inflicts poison on the opponent, which deals gradual damage to an opponent, 1.5% base a second for 10 seconds. If poison is reapplied during that time, timer is reset. Finally, paralysis greatly increases hitstun. Think like everything has the effect of ZSS fully charge laser.
-Grab game is non functional without CR coating.
-Movement Speed is about as fast as Young Link.

What do you guys think?

Top Bottom